Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Martytoof posted:

... that's a shame.

Also, that priest totally has an upside down mouth. Go ahead, go look at a non-postage stamp version and try to tell me that guy doesn't have an upside down mouth.

:effort:, but the quality is so low I might just get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Martytoof posted:

I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges.

His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirits.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

JerryFuckinSeinfeld posted:

Opens Page 56

I like your Seinfeld avatar best.

What's the deal with homework? You're not working on your home!

Cusnacks
May 23, 2008

by angerbot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsV500W4BHU

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
The only heartfelt ending I can remember was at the end of "The Trip II." Kramer says he staying in L.A. and it's a bummer but then at the end he walks into Jerry's apartment and Jerry lights up because he's so happy to have him back.

atlas futon
Oct 31, 2004

would you kindly sit down

Druggachusettes posted:

I like your Seinfeld avatar best.

What's the deal with homework? You're not working on your home!

boooooooooooooo

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Aren't there supposed to be 200 odd episodes of this show? I watched it a lot when it was in syndication on Fox in the late 90s, and it seemed like I only ever caught the same forty or so episodes, obviously all the famous poo poo like Soup Nazi and Bubble Boy and the contest, but am I wrong in thinking there's like a trove that got less exposure (possibly by virtue of being not as good)?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kolby posted:

The only heartfelt ending I can remember was at the end of "The Trip II." Kramer says he staying in L.A. and it's a bummer but then at the end he walks into Jerry's apartment and Jerry lights up because he's so happy to have him back.

And then throws his giant set of keys at Jerry, haha.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

clockworx posted:

:effort:, but the quality is so low I might just get away with it.

I can't believe how much this made me laugh.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Do? Hey, I'm doing what I do. You know, I've always done what I do. I'm doing what I do the way I've always done it and the way I'll always do it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wanvig posted:

I can't believe how much this made me laugh.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Basilson posted:

Apologies if this was mentioned before, but does anyone else find it hilarious how Elaine tries to get out of awkward conversations by shouting "WHAT!?.. Oh... Coming!" As if someone is calling for her from another room? I love it how she knows that it's so obviously fake but continues to go along with it anyway and leaves the room... From memory she's done it at least twice in the series. Also, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if someone here has tried it to get out of something.

Haha this was in the episode today when she was herself and "Susie" at her work. Peterman invited them both to dinner and she pulled that stunt and ran out of his office.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Angry Midwesterner posted:

Aren't there supposed to be 200 odd episodes of this show? I watched it a lot when it was in syndication on Fox in the late 90s, and it seemed like I only ever caught the same forty or so episodes, obviously all the famous poo poo like Soup Nazi and Bubble Boy and the contest, but am I wrong in thinking there's like a trove that got less exposure (possibly by virtue of being not as good)?

I don't know man, but I checked the internet and found a site with a list of Seinfeld episodes in about ten seconds, as luck would have it! Turns out there were about 200 odd episodes of this show.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

HateTheInternet posted:

I don't know man, but I checked the internet and found a site with a list of Seinfeld episodes in about ten seconds, as luck would have it! Turns out there were about 200 odd episodes of this show.

Yeah, the second part was the real question. Sorry for being, like, rhetorical.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
As a diehard fan of the show I never really thought that "classic" episodes such as The Contest or The Soup Nazi were necessarily better or funnier than episodes that fly under that radar, such as The Beard or The Chinese Woman. Just that they had far more memorable subject matter.

Looking at it from the perspective of a casual viewer or someone unfamiliar with the show, I'd say that Seinfeld is a slow and gradual incline in quality over its entire run. You won't be able to tell from one episode to the next, per se, but there's an obvious difference between S1 and S5, and an obvious difference between S5 and S9. Nothing stands out as offensively bad (depending on who you talk to), and even "mediocre" episodes have some aspect about them considered classic and fondly remembered.

Again, as a diehard fan, it's all Seinfeld, man :cool:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I just want to say that that wall of pictures brought me to tears. I cried from laughing. Thank you so much for that.

That mosaic brought me as much joy as an episode of Seinfeld.

Matlock, BRB
Jun 23, 2004

by T. Finn

Cyra posted:

I just want to say that that wall of pictures brought me to tears. I cried from laughing. Thank you so much for that.

Agreed... can we up the probation time please?

penis sandwich
Aug 28, 2004

have some pudding :)

Cyra posted:

It was all the pics of Frank in Korea that killed me. I don't know why it was that one particular image, but it was enough.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

HateTheInternet posted:

As a diehard fan of the show I never really thought that "classic" episodes such as The Contest or The Soup Nazi were necessarily better or funnier than episodes that fly under that radar, such as The Beard or The Chinese Woman. Just that they had far more memorable subject matter.

Looking at it from the perspective of a casual viewer or someone unfamiliar with the show, I'd say that Seinfeld is a slow and gradual incline in quality over its entire run. You won't be able to tell from one episode to the next, per se, but there's an obvious difference between S1 and S5, and an obvious difference between S5 and S9. Nothing stands out as offensively bad (depending on who you talk to), and even "mediocre" episodes have some aspect about them considered classic and fondly remembered.

Again, as a diehard fan, it's all Seinfeld, man :cool:

I bet if they went back and filmed the older episodes with modern clothes/hair, they'd be funnier.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
If you don't love early/mid 90's Elaine then I don't know what to tell you man

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tiny Fistpump posted:

If you don't love early/mid 90's Elaine then I don't know what to tell you man

Well, good news if you loved her distinct fashion sense.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Angry Midwesterner posted:

"It's only for three days. Today's over and we have tomorrow. We leave on Sunday. It's one day, really."

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

If it is password-locked for you, here is the meat:

NY Times posted:

ON a recent August night, young women in stilettos teetered precariously through the cobblestone streets of the meatpacking district in Manhattan. Appropriately for the neighborhood, they were squeezed into minidresses that were as snug as sausage casings. But a few blocks south, far away from the blare of Hummer limousine horns, at the fashionable opening of the Algus Greenspon Gallery on Morton Street, a more demure look prevailed.

The floral-and-tough look of Julia Louis- Dreyfus as Elaine Benes on “Seinfeld” is this summer’s downtown inspiration.

Like a modest Robert Palmer-girl army, the women mingled in floor-length print dresses and brown lace-up boots with their hair in messy secretary buns. The genesis of the look could have been those unforgettable images of fundamentalist Mormon women that dominated the news a couple of years back. But if you squinted, what you saw was a sea of Elaines. Listen and you could almost hear the funky slap bass that played as segue music on “Seinfeld.” Could it be that the stars have somehow aligned to make Elaine Benes the summer’s downtown fashion muse?

Over the years, Elaine has stood out as a beacon of a faded era, in long floral skirts, blazers with padded shoulders and granny shoes with socks. Just about every inch of her skin was covered as if she were photosensitive. Unlike other 1990s series with a more easily imitable style (see “Melrose Place”), “Seinfeld” was decidedly anti-fashion. But now, if you happen upon an old episode, Elaine just looks cool — and of-the-moment.

-snip-

How does one explain the head-to-toe Elaine fashion renaissance? It’s not as if it is a result of a TBS “Seinfeld” marathon projected on the wall of the Jane Hotel. Most of the Jane habitués are too young to realize whom they are referencing. One theory was offered by the fashion stylist Mel Ottenberg. “The look doesn’t come from outer space,” he said. “Girls who were obsessed with micro-minis are now so anti-that, and they’re embarrassed at what they were wearing two years ago. This is a more covered-up look and looking like you have a brain. Elaine had a job. She worked at J. Peterman. She was a go-getter.”

Of course, the wild-card element in Elaine’s look was that Ms. Louis-Dreyfus was pregnant twice during the years the show was shot. “Nowadays pregnant women wear tight-fitting tops,” she said. “That was not the look when I was pregnant. It was all about being blousy. But we didn’t work my pregnancy into the story lines of ‘Seinfeld.’ I had my big vat of sponges.”

Ms. Louis-Dreyfus said that toward the end of the series, her character’s look took on a slimmer, darker palette. “It cooled down, but I still wouldn’t call it subtle,” she said.

Her personal style evolved, also.

“God, fashion is so strange,” she said. “I’m glad I don’t dress like that anymore. On the other hand, maybe I will again since everyone’s doing it.”

At least Elaine’s dancing hasn’t caught on.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV16ECAAACM#t=2m48s

Also: "Let's bury the hatchet, we smokum peace pipe! :haw: "

Relayer fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 20, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, you don't want too much grace or you won't be able to stand.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Kramer: So, you sleep in separate beds.

Frank: Thirty years ago, we came to an agreement. It was the only way I could get some rest.

Kramer: Really?

Frank: Estelle's got the jimmy arms.

Kramer: You can get that in your arms?

Frank: Like you wouldn't believe.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
"You're stealing too?!"

"Sometimes your father forgets, so I have to steal"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cane Break posted:

"You're stealing too?!"

"Sometimes your father forgets, so I have to steal"

"He's just a lonely old man, all old people steal!"

"That's right. That's why we stopped carrying batteries."

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
"13 in the side... giddyup"

"6 in the corner.. this table's mine..."

*biting cigar* "You know where it's goin'."

EDIT: It's 13.. but yeah uh that was a funny quote from seinfeld until I ruined it.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

And you know, once those gorillas accept you, you got it made in the shade.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Excellent Craigslist acquisition today for a sawbuck: Seinfeld Monopoly!

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
I saw Seinfeld Clue yesterday in an antique bookstore and was tempted to get it but it was like $40.

Oh well...

How's the Monopoly?!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

William Pahllace posted:

was tempted to get it but it was like $40.

You're killing independent bookstores!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

William Pahllace posted:

I saw Seinfeld Clue yesterday in an antique bookstore and was tempted to get it but it was like $40.

Oh well...

How's the Monopoly?!

You know what Monopoly is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple. Monopoly is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on Monopoly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Martytoof posted:

You're killing independent bookstores!
Wow. Good one.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

mojo1701a posted:

You know what Monopoly is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple. Monopoly is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on Monopoly.

I play the Monopoly. You not say Monopoly weak. :geno:

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Electromax posted:

Excellent Craigslist acquisition today for a sawbuck: Seinfeld Monopoly!

As soon as I get my debit card and my new bank account set up, it's mine.

Edit: "The collector's edition of Seinfeld Monopoly is a must-have for enthusiasts of the popular 'show about nothing.' While the basic rules of the classic game remain unchanged in this edition, everything from the game tokens to the title deeds features a clever Seinfeld reference. Buy a deed to Pendant Publishing, then draw a 'Yada yada yada' card and see if you've been deemed 'sponge-worthy.' For players eight years and older, this is a chance to be both a real-estate mogul and a Seinfeld trivia whiz."

I just gave myself a charlie horse from this knee-slapper.

octothorpopus fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 23, 2010

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I've spent summer break catching up on Seinfeld because I'd never seen it before and it astounds me that something so funny and mean-spirited managed to achieve such widespread mainstream success and acclaim. It's good to see something be popular without pandering to the lowest common denominator. :unsmith:

When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to watch Seinfeld because my mom thought it was too sexual, I only saw a few episodes with my dad when she was out (soup nazi, jerk store, the one where Kramer adopted a highway) and they were all so great I remembered them vividly to this day. The day after the Seinfeld finale I remember my teacher spending the day talking about the finale in class, it was so weird.

To be honest I found the first two seasons to be boring and almost unwatchable, but I skipped ahead and from season 3 onwards it was awesome. Even the last two seasons without Larry David I loved.

So yeah, back to parroting lines and references, just wanted to say that this show owns and has stood the test of time. Although 90% of the show's conflicts could be solved in about 5 minutes if they had cell phones back then.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

too sexual

:psyduck:

I'd ask if you're Amish, but if you were you wouldn't have a TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I mean they did get away with a lot as far as sex goes for a 90's sitcom. There are multiple cunnilingus references throughout the series which just seems really heavy to me for some reason. Plus, off the top of my head, masturbation contest (involving a female contestant), "I've got hand" -- "And you're gonna need it to jerk off with", Elaine propositioning Jerry just to "clear her head" and then considering Kramer when Jerry refuses.. which now that I mention it is a really funny scene. "Spongeworthy".. the list goes on.