Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FormulaXFD posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an R32 Skyline on top of it all.

Of course it is (otherwise it would have been a Cefiro or Laurel) they attract the idiot crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Whitey Ford posted:

Is that some cheapass chinese "lightened" flywheel or something?

Lucky skylines have North/South engines

Actually, he's lucky it's an AWD layout with the motor pushed up. For midship longitudinal engines like a Corvette, your ankle is about where the clutch plate sits.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

Actually, he's lucky it's an AWD layout with the motor pushed up. For midship longitudinal engines like a Corvette, your ankle is about where the clutch plate sits.
I thought the GT R32 was RWD? I don't know much about them but I did notice the GT badge on the fender.

doggo
Jun 15, 2003
you make me a saaaad panda
the R32 GTS and GTS-T are RWD, and the GTR & GTS4 are AWD. That one in the picture is a GTS-T :buddy:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Whitey Ford posted:

Is that some cheapass chinese "lightened" flywheel or something?

The teeth from an aluminum flywheel can separate and cause just this since they are just heated then pressed on. Chromoly flywheels are safe imo; hard to screw up a steel flywheel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
on skylines the motor is long and the flywheel is pretty much in line with the feet. They have the front diff next to the motor with one axle going through the oil pan. Audi has not figured this out, instead opting for 70/30 weight distribution.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 17, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is why there are scattershields.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

doggo posted:

the R32 GTS and GTS-T are RWD, and the GTR & GTS4 are AWD. That one in the picture is a GTS-T :buddy:
so.. it is RWD?

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Whitey Ford posted:

so.. it is RWD?

The cheap ones are (and the one we're talking about probably is), but not all are. It's like the Mitsubishi Lancers; if they don't say "Evolution" they ain' AWD.

doggo
Jun 15, 2003
you make me a saaaad panda
^ yeah. GTS4s are pretty cheap too, same engine as the GTS-t (2.0L 6cyl single turbo) but with the AWD drivetrain

to add to the thread:

engine from a R33 Skyline 2.5L straight 6 - piston should be at the top of its stroke heh. There was also a chunk of the block missing just under the thermostat housing

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FormulaXFD posted:

The cheap ones are (and the one we're talking about probably is), but not all are. It's like the Mitsubishi Lancers; if they don't say "Evolution" they ain' AWD.

That's not true either.

Almost all cars were available in AWD in Japan and not necessarily in the top spec models. For instance you can buy a basic 1.5l Lancer with AWD, or a crappy 1.6l Integra

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

dissss posted:

That's not true either.

Almost all cars were available in AWD in Japan and not necessarily in the top spec models. For instance you can buy a basic 1.5l Lancer with AWD, or a crappy 1.6l Integra

Crap I should have referred that to "Here in the states" with regards to the lancer gig.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

FormulaXFD posted:

Crap I should have referred that to "Here in the states" with regards to the lancer gig.

Still wrong, the Lancer Ralliart is AWD as well.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

MikeyTsi posted:

I thought all of the Lancers that were non-evos were FWD only. Eh I'll go find out I'm wrong now and let this thread return to topic.

Edit: Ok so the Ralliart is newer (08+) than I paid any attention to. Just means I need to get out and read more.

FormulaXFD fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 17, 2010

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MikeyTsi posted:

As of like last year, and I cant say I've ever seen one on the road.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

D C posted:

You probably have, they don't really look that different from the ordinary "sports-pack" Lancers.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Whitey Ford posted:

I thought the GT R32 was RWD? I don't know much about them but I did notice the GT badge on the fender.

I don't know about that car specifically, but most models with an engine that has awd/rwd drivetrain option will use the same motor placement for easier logistics, and the front diff usually requires the engine being a bit further up. I was going from the hood hole that the clutch was infront of the bulkhead but who knows!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Toucan Sam posted:

I've still got a scar from a torque converter coming apart in a buddies car. The worst was the part about it being an '80 Malibu Classic. It doesn't matter how nice it was or how much money he spent on the engine, it was a Malibu Classic. He jumped on it leaving a light and when it hit second it blew the torque converter apart, took out the tunnel and hot fluid and metal showered the interior. It took a few weeks to fix that car and i was always a bit concerned when i rode in it after that.

drat, I've NEVER heard of a torque converter exploding.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
It may have been the flywheel taking the torque converter with it but there were parts everywhere and the shop it was towed to said the converter caused the damage. We were lucky the car had only been running a couple minutes so the fluid wasn't up to temp. It was twenty years ago and a lot of stuff has improved on the performance and safety side but high horsepower cars still make me a bit nervous.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Toucan Sam posted:

It may have been the flywheel taking the torque converter with it but there were parts everywhere and the shop it was towed to said the converter caused the damage. We were lucky the car had only been running a couple minutes so the fluid wasn't up to temp. High horsepower cars still make me a bit nervous.

Scatter shields and/or bellhousing blankets are practically required when exceeding the OE RPM in large engines.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

D C posted:

Does this somehow invalidate my statement?

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

doggo posted:

to add to the thread:

engine from a R33 Skyline 2.5L straight 6 - piston should be at the top of its stroke heh. There was also a chunk of the block missing just under the thermostat housing

Didn't even notice (or know) that the piston should be at TDC. Only that the one piston was crooked, looking that the valve reliefs.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Baby Hitler posted:

Scatter shields and/or bellhousing blankets are practically required when exceeding the OE RPM in large engines.

When the car was put back together it got a blanket. So many people don't think about the tranny being right next to you in a rwd car but poo poo happens so be safe. Luckily all i got were a few scars but it could have gone a lot worse if the fluid would have been up to temp.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Blowing through a SFI rated blanket is a serious amount of force, those are almost actually bulletproof.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I've seen an auto tranny in a Nova blow and the blanket kept everything out of the cabin. I imagine the same thing would have happened when i was injured if there would have been any type of safety involved.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Here is one large failure.... it ends up in your house... link from another forum follows!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272098

I can't say I have done this in my railroad career yet, but I still have 32 years left to go.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Was posted a while ago in this thread. Impressive failure, to be sure. The inertial mass those things carry is stupidly high.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Nam Taf posted:

inertial mass

The redundant redundancy in this statement makes my brain hurt.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

EightBit posted:

Yeh, except it is used to distinguish from mass which does not carry an inertia affecting the motor's running ie: the head, etc. It's redunant phrasing but it's no better or worse than saying something is 'really' unique. Unique is an absolute - it either is or isn't. Still, people use the terminology.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

EightBit posted:

Inertial mass is an actual concept in physics so his statement isn't technically wrong. Until the equivalence principle is shown to be false, however, there's no harm in dropping the "inertial" from mass.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you're talking about the energy of a moving object, its usually momentum or kinetic energy; I've never seen the term inertial mass. You can't have inertia without mass.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

This thread has become a horrible failure. :(

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

FormulaXFD posted:

This thread has become a horrible failure. :(

Of mass proportions? :haw:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

EightBit posted:

If you're talking about the energy of a moving object, its usually momentum or kinetic energy; I've never seen the term inertial mass. You can't have inertia without mass.
Intertial mass is the mass you multiply times velocity to get inertia. It's the standard name for the variable m in the equation P=mv. I can't say I've ever heard it used in conversation before, but Nam Taf used it properly.

Also, momentum is rarely used to describe the energy of a moving object :science:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Johnny Threadshitter posted:

:pseudo::words:

Isn't this the same argument delicate set of nuanced points and counterpoints that ruined the pages following the last time this roof-invading train chunk was posted?

LET'S GET BACK TO BUSINESS

Tire burst on takeoff and ruptured the fuel tank.

This was a Mazda 3. Driver lived.

Apparently the truck rammed everything else together.

It's some kind of failure.

"I guess this caliper got stuck."

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Splizwarf posted:

Tire burst on takeoff and ruptured the fuel tank.

I was about to go all Hulk on you becuase I seemed to remember the crash being caused by an external factor and the tyre bursting was refuted. Then I checked it out and found we're both right. A titanium strip fell of a preceding aircraft and caused the burst tyre, which caused the fuel valve to burst open.

Such a very sad day.

Having said that, that picture looks far too similar to a F-111 doing a dump-and-burn.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Splizwarf posted:

"I guess this caliper got stuck."

Stuck brake perhaps (or seized bearing?), but that's a trailer tire mounted on a wagon wheel.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Here's an old one that hasn't been posted here...

When steam cleaning a sulfur tanker car, don't close the valves and clock out for the day...

:science: Its the can crushing in cold water principle... Vacuum! :science:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hooooooly poo poo. Would that have gradually crushed in, or just collapsed suddenly?

(Please say the latter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It's very sudden, let me see if I can find the video

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJVHtF8GwI