Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

DELETED posted:

It's very sudden, let me see if I can find the video

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJVHtF8GwI

:monocle:

In the second view it looks like it gets punched by the invisible hand of god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

DELETED posted:

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJVHtF8GwI

Hahahaha, that is badass.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Hillridge posted:

In the second view it looks like it gets punched by the invisible hand of god.

According to the comments on the video, it is actually invisible Godzilla.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I think they're pretty much the same thing.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
This might have been in here somewhere before but I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m09vkAIJBXQ

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Splizwarf posted:

Tire burst on takeoff and ruptured the fuel tank.

It was also recommended to the manufacturer to install kevlar reinforcements to the bottom of the fuel tanks as they had proven to be easily punctured, but they decided, along with the airlines that it was too expensive to be worth it.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hooooooly poo poo. Would that have gradually crushed in, or just collapsed suddenly?

(Please say the latter)

That newer show on G4, "It's Effin Science", recently displayed this on a tank about the same size... well maybe smaller, but at any rate, showing it suddenly collapsing. It would make me poo poo my pants rather quickly if I were to be in close proximity at the time.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The reason it collapses suddenly is because it is being pulled in equally from all sides, so there's no tendency to deform into an oval-shaped cross-section or anything like that. So the entire thing's getting stressed at approxiamtely the same rate and then one part gives in, but because it's now buckled it cannot support itself holding out so it catastrophically fails instantly.

Once one part's buckled, the part next to it, which is already close to failure, gets overloaded and fails, and that showballs. In a brick arch, each brick supports itself by pushing against the two next to it. Remove one and the whole thing suddenly tumbles down. It's the same situation here but with really, really small bricks, effectively.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 24, 2010

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DELETED posted:

E:
<Crushing tanker video>

From the related videos I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWeZ1YPI88

More horrible corporate failure, but quite chilling nonetheless.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Jonny Nox posted:

From the related videos I found this

More horrible corporate failure, but quite chilling nonetheless.
And the first link on THAT video is "Worker pulled through woodchipper."

I clicked. I shouldn't have.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Narrator posted:

The manual did not have specific instructions on how to get around the problem, so the operator improvised.

I wonder how many accident investigation reports use this or a similar phrase.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I bet this sounded nice.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Good lord, looks like the motor ran for a min after it failed to make all those dings. Bet it sounded beautiful.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

grover posted:

And the first link on THAT video is "Worker pulled through woodchipper."

I clicked. I shouldn't have.

Was it like in Fargo?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Fayez Butts posted:

Was it like in Fargo?
Was another WorkSafeBC video.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fayez Butts posted:

Was it like in Fargo?
Worryingly, the conclusion of the investigation was something along the lines of "Worker pulled into woodchipper. Not entirely sure how, exactly. poo poo happens." - They hadn't actually nailed down the full mechanics of where he was standing, what knocked/dragged him in and so on.

So someone could have sneaked up and fed him into it, and there isn't any evidence. :ninja:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

blambert posted:

This might have been in here somewhere before but I couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m09vkAIJBXQ

OK, this combined with your custom title is just too much. You spin me round indeed.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

InitialDave posted:

Worryingly, the conclusion of the investigation was something along the lines of "Worker pulled into woodchipper. Not entirely sure how, exactly. poo poo happens." - They hadn't actually nailed down the full mechanics of where he was standing, what knocked/dragged him in and so on.

So someone could have sneaked up and fed him into it, and there isn't any evidence. :ninja:

Yeah, it's kinda like "Well, we're pretty drat sure he went in here, and came out all over in there"

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whoops, someone forgot to push a button somewhere along the way:

http://www.targetlock.org.uk/b-1/recovery.html

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

rocket_350 posted:

Late one night I was passing alongside a truck that was accelerating down a highway on ramp when a large red hot rotating mass shot from under it at me. I assume it was a part of the clutch or flywheel. It missed me, but not by much.

Yeah on the long drive home from PA to FL last week, we pulled up on a semi whose rearmost passenger side trailer wheel was glowing orange and throwing sparks.

I'm guessing a really really shot wheel bearing, but I didn't hang out behind the thing long enough to find out. :supaburn:

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Boat posted:

Yeah on the long drive home from PA to FL last week, we pulled up on a semi whose rearmost passenger side trailer wheel was glowing orange and throwing sparks.

I'm assuming you're stupid like I am and drive on I-95 and I-10 whenever given the opportunity, but aren't the amazing gouges down the right third of the freeway lanes through Virginia all the way to the Alabama border awesome? I'm guessing some of these truckers must pop their wheels during the night and drive all night long without needing to look at the right mirror and seeing the shower of flaming asphalt trailing out from behind them.

I've actually had to avoid trailers that reek of flaming rubber because there's a blister that's about to pop as they fly past me through the urban areas. I guess they don't notice because the trailers are loaded?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Plinkey posted:

Whoops, someone forgot to push a button somewhere along the way:

http://www.targetlock.org.uk/b-1/recovery.html

I don't know whats cooler, the fact that the plane landed without exploding without its wheels down, or the fact that landing without its wheels only cost ~8 million in repairs.

That amount seems like a lot, but its just over 2% of the value of the plane. Hell if I ran over a curb with my VW Rabbit I would probably get a higher percentage of damage to my suspension. They landed a loving plane with the wheels up and it cost as much as buying a new set of tires on a car.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

nurrwick posted:

I've actually had to avoid trailers that reek of flaming rubber because there's a blister that's about to pop as they fly past me through the urban areas. I guess they don't notice because the trailers are loaded?

Another time I was alongside a GOTransit bus on the highway when one of its rear tires exploded. There was an empty lane between me and the bus but it was still really loud. It's a good thing I didn't have my window down, I probably would have pissed myself.

My drive to work is a lot like the first ten minutes of Revenge of the Sith.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dietcokefiend posted:

I don't know whats cooler, the fact that the plane landed without exploding without its wheels down, or the fact that landing without its wheels only cost ~8 million in repairs.

That amount seems like a lot, but its just over 2% of the value of the plane. Hell if I ran over a curb with my VW Rabbit I would probably get a higher percentage of damage to my suspension. They landed a loving plane with the wheels up and it cost as much as buying a new set of tires on a car.

Yeah, it's pretty impressive. If you figure the change in $ from 1998 - 2010 it becomes anywhere from $360-$460 million. I have no idea what they cost for up keep each year, but it's a shitload. The other thing to consider is that they've got a bunch of planes mothballed for spares because they are so old. So it's not like they ordered and fabed all new parts for it.

There is another one that I can't find a picture of that they tried to tow a B1 with chucks or something and bent the front landing gear. Ehh well...

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, it's pretty impressive. If you figure the change in $ from 1998 - 2010 it becomes anywhere from $360-$460 million.

That price is the actual amount that the DoD writes on the checks when they buy an individual plane though - it doesn't account for all the checks they wrote for the R&D period before any of the planes were made. And the B-1B had one hell of an R&D period - getting canceled under Carter and restarted and extensively redesigned under Reagan really drew up the expenses.

I don't know what the actual cost of an individual B-1 is, but I do have a good example of the huge disparity between unit cost and actual cost: the B-2.

The unit cost of a B-2 is just under 800 million, but the actual cost (that most people usually quote when talking about how awesome it is) is around 2 billion.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Plinkey posted:

The other thing to consider is that they've got a bunch of planes mothballed for spares because they are so old.

The 33 B-1's that got mothballed (representing 1/3 of the entire production run) were actually retired as a cost cutting measure, since programs like the F-22 and F-35 were running massively over budget and grounding some of the B-1 fleet freed up enough money to keep operating the remaining aircraft.

Currently, the B-1 is slated for retirement somewhere around 2038 (although the Pentagon is discussing retiring the whole B-1 fleet sooner to save money), which means the B-1 will likely cease flying earlier than the B-52 (scheduled to be serving until at least 2040) it was supposed to replace.

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008

Boat posted:

I'm guessing a really really shot wheel bearing, but I didn't hang out behind the thing long enough to find out. :supaburn:

One of my dads friends saw this same thing in Wisconsin so he pulled up next to the cab and signaled for the truck driver to pull over. The truck started to pull on the shoulder and as soon as the wheel in question hit the rumble strip on the side of the highway it flew off and totaled my dad's friend's Volkswagen Passat. The wheel hit the rear hatch with enough force to bend the A-pillars on either side of the windshield. The whole back of the car was bend up about a foot and a half and none of the doors worked.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
I guess this counts as a horrible mechanical failure. Robert Dunlops 1994 TT rear wheel collapse.

(Robert survived)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6T6dTIOZ2c

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Crossposting from the Miata thread. My clutch.

Yes, that was all that remained of the pilot bearing, maybe 2-3 balls got away from me but that's it. Rest was a reddish dust in the block.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Blaster of Justice posted:

I guess this counts as a horrible mechanical failure. Robert Dunlops 1994 TT rear wheel collapse.

(Robert survived)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6T6dTIOZ2c

Quoting this with an image capture from the video because JESUS CHRIST.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

The 33 B-1's that got mothballed (representing 1/3 of the entire production run) were actually retired as a cost cutting measure, since programs like the F-22 and F-35 were running massively over budget and grounding some of the B-1 fleet freed up enough money to keep operating the remaining aircraft.

Currently, the B-1 is slated for retirement somewhere around 2038 (although the Pentagon is discussing retiring the whole B-1 fleet sooner to save money), which means the B-1 will likely cease flying earlier than the B-52 (scheduled to be serving until at least 2040) it was supposed to replace.

I have a high doubt as to this actually happening, the dates for retirements have CONSTANTLY been pushed back for almost every current serving Air Force craft.

dietcokefiend posted:

...and don't forget, almost everythings cost in the Air Force is inflated, so in actuallity had this been a civilian plane it would have been maybe a quarter of that!

Trust me, Avionics guy for C-130s

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If the AF didn't have to buy everything from Skilcraft we'd have enough money to buy an F-22 for everybody in the service.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Thanks for the new nightmare fuel!

:psyduck:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Jeeeeesus Christ. I didn't notice any red smears on the end of it...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Tragically painful death for the whole family! :hist101:

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

MONORAIL! :eek:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I found the news story (only one guy in the suburban and he's totally fine) this is why you don't drive tired folks!
http://www.mtstandard.com/news/local/article_330b923a-bd60-11df-87a2-001cc4c03286.html

I've got much bigger pictures if anyone wants them.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't see apex seals exiting through the exhaust port in that GIF