Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
Semi Precious Weapons are an awful band.

Gaga was absolutely amazing, of course :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I quite liked Semi Precious Weapons when I saw them support Gaga. At least it looks like they're having a fun time.

Just got tickets for the London show on the 17th.... y-y-y-yeah!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

candy for breakfast posted:

Gaga was absolutely amazing, of course :)

I couldn't agree more. The only thing they have going for them is their image.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Well Gaga is now the most followed person on Twitter and has made a video acknowledging her supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyf4LGQdbB8

I LOVE THIS WOMAN

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
What a dork. :)

VVV Edible (?) bird on a string, no less.

realqueenbetty fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 23, 2010

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Well Gaga is now the most followed person on Twitter and has made a video acknowledging her supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyf4LGQdbB8

I LOVE THIS WOMAN

Really, she never disappoints. Harp wand + bird on a string

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

This one is my favorite

Why does she look completely different every time there's a decent look at her face

Instantoxen
Apr 22, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Why does she look completely different every time there's a decent look at her face

Probably because her livelihood is being a media whore so when she experiences a moment of genuine stimulation the contrast is evident.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJWj8HjX9ew

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

candy for breakfast posted:

Ugh tell me about it. They are like every horrible gay stereotype ever hopped up on meth. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's Andrew WK all over again!

Oh wow, the dancing part...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 23, 2010

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
So is Dance in the Dark getting released in the US or not? It's been like 4 months since Alejandro, what are they waiting for?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I think I remember someone mentioning that there would be no more singles from this album so don't hold your breath for Dance in the Dark.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

A Pale Horse posted:

I think I remember someone mentioning that there would be no more singles from this album so don't hold your breath for Dance in the Dark.

Yeah, I've heard that too. If that's true, then with the new album coming out in 'early 2011' that means we (probably) won't see a new single until at least Christmas, and it just seems bizarre to me to have an 8+ month gap in singles for such a wildly popular artist.

TITY BOI fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 24, 2010

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

F201 posted:

Yeah, I've heard that too. If that's true, then with the new album coming out in 'early 2011' that means we (probably) won't see a new single until at least Christmas, and it just seems bizarre to me to have an 8+ month gap in singles for such a wildly popular artist.

She needs a break from the radio and TV. Her stuff has been in constant rotation for a long time now.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just pissy because Dance in the Dark is my favorite gaga song and i want to hear it on the radio, drat it :colbert:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

F201 posted:

I'd go with the gap as well, I mean what artist just has rotating hits on and on anyway... I know some rappers seem like it because they'll release an album once a year and in between that it's a set of constant features in between but remember with Gaga initially with The Fame it was an anomaly that it had so many hits for so long anyway, usually an artist would release Just Dance, have the mega hit with Poker Face and then be gone with maybe a top 40 charter for a couple weeks after. But Gaga had Just Dance, Poker Face, LoveGame, Paparazzi, as well as some more minor stuff being played on the radio (at least in Australia I heard The Fame and Beautiful Dirty Rich being played a bit on the radio) as well as in other countries Nothing Else I can Say was a single also AS WELL AS that minor hit with Wale AS WELL AS the fact that people always heard her acoustic covers of stuff like poker Face and Paparazzi (they got played as well) AS WELL AS the Kanye/Kid Cudi/Common collab with the acoustic pokerface remix in there....

and all in between that she found time to tour and record The Fame Monster and released that (afaik) while The Fame was still charting or at least while it was still doing well enough and songs were still getting residual airplay... which is unheard of! It's almost been two straight years of Gaga, and all that I covered was basically just the first stuff. On top of that you have Bad Romance, Telephone and Alejandro + all the talk of the videoclips behind them which at least telephone and to a lesser extent the other two were big big big things that radio djs loved to blab on about, her tour (very publicised) and just stuff like what outfit she was wearing, her ever increasing in quality live performances at various awards shows... The twitter stuff, etc.

Now Dance in the Dark is on radio here, not sure if it even needs the single treatment. Although it's probably more about being busy on the road on tour and recording her new stuff rather than not... it'd still make a fair amount of money.

I wonder if she ever will get overexposed? I mean logic dictates yes, like the countless other pop singers/groups in the past that kinda just hit critical mass and people stopped paying attention (see Beiber for a soon to happen version of this) but it's been a long long time since I remember a pop act that has enjoyed such success but also such critical success as well, apart from the "LOL WHAT IS SHE WEARING" people most people who just enjoy music love the poo poo out of gaga and music critics eat her up so it's not going to be like she'll be getting bad press anytime soon.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Is the OP's thematic examination of The Fame ironic? If this were any other thread I wouldn't ask but here I can't tell (I Love Gaga)

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Is the OP's thematic examination of The Fame ironic? If this were any other thread I wouldn't ask but here I can't tell (I Love Gaga)

If what you are actually asking is, "is it a serious critical examination" then yes. :) The first few pages of this thread are funny because so many people were convinced that this was going to be a Gaga hate-fest and were confused by the OP's poor trolling.

For more essay fun:

CharlieFoxtrot (poster in this thread) has written a few great pieces about her videos, and they include links to other good reads:
Pop Ate My Heart: Lady Gaga, Her Videos, and Her Fame Monster
Let's Make a Sandwich: Lady Gaga's "Telephone," A Second Take
I'm Not Your Babe: "Alejandro" and the Gaga Narrative

Gaga Stigmata has several interesting articles. I've read a few different articles on some of Gaga's thematic elements and I found the latest "Can't Read My Poker Face" article interesting, although I think I need to do some back-reading on the references to really understand some of its points.

And the comedy options:
Lady Gaga, The Illuminati Puppet
Lady Gaga, the Illuminati Puppet – Part 2
Lady Gaga’s Bad Romance – The Occult Meaning
The Hidden Meaning of Lady Gaga’s “Telephone”
Lady Gaga’s “Alejandro”: The Occult Meaning

I know it's been beaten to death in this thread but the music is catchy as hell and I listen to it quite a lot lately, but what really captures me is all of the extras like the fashion choices, interviews(that Gaga Stigmata article I mention above has an interesting performance observation about the Barbara Walters and Larry King interviews) and videos. I remember being in school and enjoying some of the books in English class and really having a greater appreciation for them if I understood the themes, symbolism, character archetypes, foreshadowing, all that jazz. I've gone back and read some of those books again that prominently featured those elements.

I know it sounds kind of robotic to say, but I like the "puzzle" of seeing all of those threads in a particular work. I like engaging in that kind of analytical thought about movies as well (ie, Pleasantville, Inception), but Gaga's videos are written about so much right now that they are currently what I end up reading about. If there are more places on the internet to easily find reading on other media works (Gaga Stigmata is nice because it's one site that gathers articles), I'd be interested. :)

Firequirks fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 25, 2010

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Only Words to Play With has some great articles on Lady Gaga as well. And somehow I'd managed to miss that CharlieFoxtrot wrote an article about Alejandro, so loving thank you for that. I love his stuff.

Oh, and there's a preview of the fall Vogue Hommes Japan with Jo Calderone up on Nicola Formichetti's blog: http://nicolaformichetti.blogspot.com/2010/08/preview-vogue-hommes-japan-5.html

quote:

WHAT IS YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO LADY GAGA?
I met her at a shoot Nick Knight was doing. She's fuckin beautiful, and funny, and interesting. I was a little nervous for Nick to start shooting. She said, "Don't be baby, you were "born this way." I took her out after. The rest is private ;)

:laugh:

Neena fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 25, 2010

Cameltoe Chariot
Jan 28, 2004

I went to Gaga's 2nd show here in Vancouver tonight and had an amazing time. At one point, my fiance and his sister were walking through the crowds inside to check out the merchandise tables when some guy ran up and asked to take pictures of my fiance's sister. She had spent two weeks making this full body lace outfit complete with a veil supported by wire "bull horns" on her head, and a bouquet of black roses, and the moment we arrived at the arena people were complimenting her left and right.

So as I said, this guy came over to us and asked if she would pose for some pictures. She obliged and a man with retro glasses and tattoos all over his arms had her pose against a red wall and started snapping away. All of a sudden I realized who the photographer was, and just as I was about to say something my fiance turned to me and said,

"...is that Terry-loving-Richardson?"

After he finished taking the photos, we introduced ourselves and shook his hand, and he told us he's working with Gaga on a book showcasing her tours and her fans, and he's with her for a portion of this tour. After we said goodbye, he took off with his assistant, leaving the three of us standing there, completely loving starstruck. As a photography student, meeting Terry-loving-Richardson at this show was beyond surreal, and the best part is the fact that my future sister-in-law is on his camera right now, and he's probably going to jerk off to it at some point in the near future.

I've been following Gaga for two years now, and this was my 6th time seeing her, the 1st show being her loving album release party in a nightclub in Surrey, where I met her and had a 30 minute conversation with her. Back then, Just Dance was still a minor hit and she was hardly a household name. I told her about my goals as an artist and she suggested I read "Letters To A Young Poet", which by now almost every Gaga fan knows is her favourite book. I went and bought the book, and it definitely helped my focus my creative drive.

A year later, I managed to meet her again after her Vancouver show during the "Fame Ball Tour" back in '09. By pure luck I had my copy of the book with me in my bag, and when I met her again she recognized me by name and offered to sign the cover of it for me.

Do know that I'm not attempting to name drop here. I just can't ignore the fact that she inspired me to push myself to achieve my goals, and the inspiration she gave me was from before Poker Face was playing on every radio station.

Here are the photos of the book and of Gaga herself signing it:

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Click here for the full 400x604 image.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
^^^^^ I am so loving jealous. I had tickets but my friend's mother ended up having surgery a week prior, so she didn't want to go. Unfortunate, it would've been my first time seeing Gaga.

Also you better keep that book 'til the day you die, that's neat as hell.

Firequirks posted:

If what you are actually asking is, "is it a serious critical examination" then yes. :) The first few pages of this thread are funny because so many people were convinced that this was going to be a Gaga hate-fest and were confused by the OP's poor trolling.

Yeah I asked 'cause the potential for writing an essay on several different tracks is definitely there. I doubt 1% of her listeners realize all of what's actually going on in her songs, though I think they still feel and identify with the metaphors, if that makes sense.

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 25, 2010

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Wow Pantalaimon, that's awesome! What a great experience. I'm now curious about some of the photographers wandering around taking pictures of fans that I saw in Vegas.

I ended up seeing Gaga in Las Vegas as part of a bachelorette party with some friends from California. We went to the club afterwards where the Semi-Precious Weapons afterparty was and Gaga is rumoured to show up there after her shows. Unfortunately she did not show up but my mind was racing with what I would do if I had the chance to meet her. I ended up selling my Vancouver tickets for a few reasons, one of which being I couldn't find anyone else who is as big of a Gaga nerd as I am to get the crazy-good tickets. I should have just asked in this thread. :v:

Your story also brought up something for me about Gaga and her fans; during the Vegas show, she pretty much brought the entire arena to tears when she started talking during Speechless. I know that Gaga is always on-message about her fans and I know I've heard her say it a thousand times before how important they are to her, but she still managed to be full of emotion saying it again that night right in front of us. Everyone commented that they had to be careful not to ruin all of our Gaga-inspired make-up. For those curious, this is what she said. The larger screens show her face a little better.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Just got back from her Edmonton show. Mama Monster knows how to put on a hell of a show, and it was just phenomenal.

There are seriously no words, it was just completely amazing. I love that woman so loving much.

Hoons Boon
Aug 31, 2007

Carpetas llenas de mujeres!

Milli posted:

Just got back from her Edmonton show. Mama Monster knows how to put on a hell of a show, and it was just phenomenal.

There are seriously no words, it was just completely amazing. I love that woman so loving much.

Absolutely loving incredible show in Edmonton tonight, my only complaint is that it should have been longer.

Can't wait to show off my new t-shirt to everyone. "I'm a free bitch, baby!"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Lady Gaga should do a photo shoot with Scarlet Johansen.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Lady Gaga's Twitter posted:

I see Love in Black and White. Passion in shades of "Gris". But when it comes to You and I, Color is all I see.

Calling it now, these are titles of songs from her new album.
Love in Black and White
Passion
You and I (but we knew this one already)
Color

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009
I too went through all the stages of Gaga love outlined in the thread but... I saw her in concert over a year ago. She was pretty big at the time but not as much as now, and she was just one act in a huge festival and, well, she really wasn't that good. I thought. That's just my opinion don't kill me. There wasn't anything fantastically theatrical enough to make up for a pretty weak vocal performance, the entire crowd pretty much just got bored.

But hey, everyone has off days. I still love her. Wish I had the chance to see her in a proper performance though.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

Milli posted:

I saw her at the Thursday show! Amazing as hell. Her speeches made me cry so much. I was on the barricade on the floor for the entire show, right at the end of the catwalk. Incredible omg.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So yeah, this is pretty god damned awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7tRTBZJk0M

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
A friend saw her in Minneapolis tonight and said she played a new song that wasn't "You and I." Hope video surfaces soon!

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Doctor Claw posted:

A friend saw her in Minneapolis tonight and said she played a new song that wasn't "You and I." Hope video surfaces soon!

Livin' on the Radio

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
Wow, you beat me to it! This is my friend's video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP-Kv9zzOZg

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Doctor Claw posted:

Wow, you beat me to it! This is my friend's video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP-Kv9zzOZg

I may or may not have been f5'ing gagadaily.com :v: Your video is better though.

By the way, any goons going to the Milwaukee show on Thursday? I managed to grab a GA ticket and i'm pretty excited.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Just got my tickets for Yoko Ono with Thurston Moore, Kim Gordon and Gaga in LA on October 2nd. Was going to LA for my 21st to see Belle and Sebastian on the 3rd then this show popped up. Should be awesome.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Haha so awhile ago I sold my VIP monster zone tickets to buy some regular ones for a later date.. so now a week before the show (sept 7th in DC), I get this big angry email from the venue saying all "oh vip tickets are nontransferrable, cannot be resold in any way, you and you alone must be there with valid ID under penalty of death yadda yadda".. now I guess I can affors to see two shows, or maybe sell the ones for February, but idk this is kinda nuts and Id never heard anything about it.. I sold the tickets to this nice couple on craigslist and now I just emailed them saying "uhhh, I think youre SOL, your choices are either sell me the tickets back, or just waste the money" :(

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Firequirks posted:

The first posts of this thread were, are, and will forever remain 100% serious.

I am currently in the late stages of compiling my 1600-page doctoral thesis, entitled "a study of sartorial proxemics: lady gaga and la chambre syndicale de la haute couture"

It will be available from MIT press whenever the hell they get around to it?

200 limited-edition copies will include a lock of my hair, naturally.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Depending how you pull that off, it may actually manage to top the Bataille and Bukkake: Symbolic Human Sacrifice in Japanese Pornography thesis that some goon wrote a while ago.

I await with baited breath.

Wonko the Sane
Nov 23, 2004
I'm seeing her tonight in Milwaukee. Does anyone know if I should bring a camera in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Wonko the Sane posted:

I'm seeing her tonight in Milwaukee. Does anyone know if I should bring a camera in?

Yes. You'll need it. She'll tell you why.

• Locked thread