Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

wav3form posted:

I just successfully changed the water pump in my '01 GTI (VR6). No leaks and everything still works. Scariest part was jacking the engine up but so far so good.

The VR6 water pump can GO TO HELL. Seriously, get a Bentley and read the instructions. I'm guessing you would get a kick of the, what, 4 lines of instructions they give you. It seriously makes zero mention of detaching the loving engine from the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

The VR6 water pump can GO TO HELL. Seriously, get a Bentley and read the instructions. I'm guessing you would get a kick of the, what, 4 lines of instructions they give you. It seriously makes zero mention of detaching the loving engine from the car.

No kidding, Ive done just about everything to a VR6 except the water pump (in the car) and I dread it. Mine is weeping too. It makes me weep.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes

Understeer posted:

I'm doing replacing the disks and pads on my 2005 A4 1.8T this weekend. I found a guide online, and it appears to be a pretty straightforward job. I've done brakes before, just not on this car. I've got the PB blaster and caliper tool ready. Anything special I need to know?

Pretty easy! I was gonna suggest the caliper tool but you've already got that down. Aside from that, it's just like any other car.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
Woohoo! More problems from this piece of poo poo car. Now I'm throwing a P0706 Trans Range code. I've read around and can't find any sort of definitive answer as to what I need to replace - I've only found information for CVTs (which I don't have). Where is the range sensor? Is that what I have to replace or do I need to check the wiring around my TCU? I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it as I haven't had any flooding in the cabin or anything.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

Woohoo! More problems from this piece of poo poo car. Now I'm throwing a P0706 Trans Range code. I've read around and can't find any sort of definitive answer as to what I need to replace - I've only found information for CVTs (which I don't have). Where is the range sensor? Is that what I have to replace or do I need to check the wiring around my TCU? I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it as I haven't had any flooding in the cabin or anything.

Sorry man, I forgot what year and body style your car is.

EDIT: I can't find a listing for your exact P code but all the lower numbered codes (P0xxx-P1xxx) suggest checking for corrosion at the 16 pin electrical plug on the trans case. What are you using to pull your codes? Is it a VW dealership tool, VAG-COM, or something else?

my1999gsr fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 22, 2010

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes

my1999gsr posted:

Sorry man, I forgot what year and body style your car is.

EDIT: I can't find a listing for your exact P code but all the lower numbered codes (P0xxx-P1xxx) suggest checking for corrosion at the 16 pin electrical plug on the trans case. What are you using to pull your codes? Is it a VW dealership tool, VAG-COM, or something else?

2002 C5 A6. It might be P706 I think, I'm just using some scanner thing I bought from Autozone a while back. I'll check the pins though, thanks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Bob Log posted:

I completely agree, with everything you said which is why I'm looking for the base model. I never really understood why people want a sunroof, when would you want to look up at the sky but not get out of the car? The only use I could think of is for watching for Radar choppers/planes. I was more curious about the little quirks I should look out for. I've come across a couple of posts about squeaky trim and know now to look for them. O wondered if anyone here might know of some other things I haven't come across.

I'd take a 2011 if it was a good deal but I have a feeling the 2010 will net me the best deal.

I would go for the 2010 but try and negotiate the price down. Some dealers online can give you quotes so all you need is a quote from somewhere else on a similar car to ask them to beat it.

The 2011 models are going to change so you have to select a trim level to get what you want instead of doing it feature by feature. The stock stereo is no longer touch screen. I believe the 18" come stock, and the seats are slightly changed. The bluetooth module may be better, but some people on forums have upgraded the one in the 2011 to provide the voice dialing and phonebook access via the screen behind the wheel (and the stereo if you have the nav model).

I would say just drive what they have and see if you like it. You are buying a new car with a warranty so if anything goes wrong you are covered. I don't have the Xenon/HID package myself and almost wish the ones on the lot did, as well as the nav but it saved me some money. I was in need of a car and they had one with DSG and 18" wheels. I got it for around what they are quoting you I believe, after fees, the tax added, and the financing at 1.9% (though I paid 8k up front to get the payments down).

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

Yah I have a bentley and you're right. I think it's a good manual to have but it's useless for jobs like this.

If you're careful it's an easy job but I couldn't have done it without the DIYs posted at vortex. Some of the tips given saved me some time.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I'm thinking about a '10 DSG GTI. What am I getting myself into in terms of maintenance after 3ish years? Of course, I've heard about VW's electronic issues but how serious is it? I don't want to be pouring a ton of money into this car after it's already at the top of my budget.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
If I want to upgrade my BT module to 9w7, what's the best place to buy from?

Also I realized that I'm gay as hell and would get DRL LED lights like those on Audis, but I don't think there's anything available.

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 23, 2010

vicpro
Jul 24, 2009
My dad's 2003 TDI Jetta has been squeaking for a while now, it seems like it's coming for the left of the engine (sorry I don't know much about mechanic). A few minutes ago I started the car and about 5 seconds later I heard something break, I popped the hood and the belt to the left of the engine seemed really loose and right next to it I found this shattered metal ring, any idea on what it might be?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2019%2048%20AM.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2033%2004%20AM.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2035%2015%20AM.jpg

Also the battery indicator is on, the car ran fine on the way back home except for the squeaking which was worse.

Help! Thanks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

If I want to upgrade my BT module to 9w7, what's the best place to buy from?

Also I realized that I'm gay as hell and would get DRL LED lights like those on Audis, but I don't think there's anything available.

I would try and contact this guy to see when hes getting more:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4931152-FS-New-9W7-Deluxe-Bluetooth-Module-intro-price-of-350-on-pre-order-basis

From the threads I have read you will need to change something in VAG-COM to get the steering wheel controls to work with it, and nobody has gotten the overhead connection light working. You can however get the status from the MFI screen on the dash as well as make calls using address book and do voice commands even if you don't have the nav model stereo. If you do have the nav/dvd model you can dial out using the touch screen and it displays some other stuff.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

vicpro posted:

Also the battery indicator is on, the car ran fine on the way back home except for the squeaking which was worse.

Help! Thanks.

Don't know about that broken ring part, but if the battery light is on and it's squeaking, either the alternator is bad or something else broke so the belt isn't turning the alternator. In any case, you've already said you're no mechanic, I'm going to assume that means your dad isn't as well which is why you're asking an internet forum. Take the vehicle to a mechanic. They'll probably try to bend you over a little because it's a :worship: TDI :worship: and when mechanics, especially euro mechanics, see those 3 letters they instantly see green which is why I work on my own no matter what the problem because what was going to cost me $1850 6 months ago only cost me $35 in parts.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

scr0llwheel posted:

I'm thinking about a '10 DSG GTI. What am I getting myself into in terms of maintenance after 3ish years? Of course, I've heard about VW's electronic issues but how serious is it? I don't want to be pouring a ton of money into this car after it's already at the top of my budget.

TBH I think VWs get a bad rap. The thing to remember is that most people who buy a VW buy it because they want something sporty and are somewhat of an enthusiast. With that mentality comes a bit of the mindset that the car should be perfect. Every car has flaws, but when you take your average Camry driver, they treat the car as an appliance, so they don't tend to care if it has an issue here or there. VW people tend to be more of a vocal minority. But if possible, buy one built on a Wednesday :)

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

From the threads I have read you will need to change something in VAG-COM to get the steering wheel controls to work with it, and nobody has gotten the overhead connection light working. You can however get the status from the MFI screen on the dash as well as make calls using address book and do voice commands even if you don't have the nav model stereo. If you do have the nav/dvd model you can dial out using the touch screen and it displays some other stuff.

I think the vag-com override is only needed to assign voice control to a button on the steering wheel, so it's optional (if you don't do it then it's activated via one of the overhead buttons). Light doesn't work because I guess it doesn't work (or doesn't exist) in 2011s, but if my phone shows up in MFI then I don't really care about the light.

I thought RCD510s with 9w7 are able to dial from the screen though, have you seen a good explanation anywhere of what 9w7 brings to RCD510s?

e: nevermind, found it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4941626-9w7-bluetooth-module-rcd510-tested. No dialing, just contacts and recent calls, which is still pretty cool. Also caller ID and obviously voice commands.

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 23, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

veedubfreak posted:

TBH I think VWs get a bad rap. The thing to remember is that most people who buy a VW buy it because they want something sporty and are somewhat of an enthusiast. With that mentality comes a bit of the mindset that the car should be perfect. Every car has flaws, but when you take your average Camry driver, they treat the car as an appliance, so they don't tend to care if it has an issue here or there. VW people tend to be more of a vocal minority. But if possible, buy one built on a Wednesday :)

I agree that people yell loud about the DSG issue, but you don't see any Camry needing its tranny serviced or replaced prematurely. Even my1999gsr has noted how big of an issue it's become for VAG.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I agree that people yell loud about the DSG issue, but you don't see any Camry needing its tranny serviced or replaced prematurely. Even my1999gsr has noted how big of an issue it's become for VAG.

My friend has an older camry and everything has failed on that thing. He doesn't drive it too crazy but it's probably just due to age and poor maintenance.

My VW hasn't given me any trouble but I tend to be very proactive about maintenance because it gives me something to do and I don't have kids so I have the time and money (usually) to do so.

I guess I don't give the car a chance to give me problems and it's almost 10 years old but I also don't complain when I do have an issue. I just fix it with a hopefully better part and drive on.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kimbo305 posted:

People also don't beat the everloving poo poo out of a Camry the way your average VW driver does. Of course things break, although the DSG issue seems more like bad design. At least a VW won't accelerate to 120 on its own while you light the brakes on fire trying to stop it. HI TOYOTA!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cakefool posted:

My Volvo V70 has a 2.5TDI Audi engine in it - the B5252T as it's known apparently - There's no Haynes manual for this car, I can do anything on the body from a similar manual but the engine's stumped me, is there an Audi manual that will help me out?

Sorry to quote myself, but anyone got anything to help me out? It's a 1999 2.5 TDI Audi engine & I need a workshop manual for the engine, or something similar.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

vicpro posted:

My dad's 2003 TDI Jetta has been squeaking for a while now, it seems like it's coming for the left of the engine (sorry I don't know much about mechanic). A few minutes ago I started the car and about 5 seconds later I heard something break, I popped the hood and the belt to the left of the engine seemed really loose and right next to it I found this shattered metal ring, any idea on what it might be?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2019%2048%20AM.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2033%2004%20AM.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929397/Mobile%20Photo%202010-08-23%2011%2035%2015%20AM.jpg

Help! Thanks.

Those pics look like the remains of the inner bearing sleeve from the pulley on the alternator. On the TDI engines the alternator has a one way roller bearing built into the pulley. When the bearings go bad the pulley starts wobbling and crapping out the remains of the races and rollers. The alternator should be right on the top passenger side of the engine - take a picture of the pulley from the side so I can see it and I can tell you for sure.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Sorry to quote myself, but anyone got anything to help me out? It's a 1999 2.5 TDI Audi engine & I need a workshop manual for the engine, or something similar.

We don't get the 2.5 TDI motor in North America so I'm at a loss for literature to help you out. The parts dept. at your local dealer can't help you?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

The VAG DSG transmission was a huge problem - there's still parts of destroyed springs and fragments under my bench at the shop. We haven't done one in about 3-4 months though - maybe the problems have been addressed internally or we're just not seeing them at our shop since many of them are now past warranty.

I'm not sure that VW owners drive their cars harder than anyone else. The majority of people on internet forums discussing VW products are usually enthusiasts or people complaining how their VAG car let them down but that's not a terribly accurate sample of VW ownership as a whole; at least not in my area. Usually the VW/Audi owners that pound their cars are GTI owners, S4 owners and some of the TDI owners but they make up only a small segment of our ownership.

The other thing to consider is that VW owners tend to think they bought a car that is better than other cars on the road (hurray for German engineering!) and as such they hold VW products to a higher standard and expect more. When the cars don't meet those high expectations, the customer response is understandably harsh but the fact is that VW is the lower tier brand of VAG vehicles in North America - they're not A6-quality vehicles and they're not meant to be.

my1999gsr fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 24, 2010

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

vicpro posted:

Help! Thanks.

That exact same thing happened to mine, it's the alternator pulley I think. Mine resulted in a red-hot part ejecting itself forcefully from underneath the car and a decently-sized repair bill, though it drove fine for a couple of days after that :)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Has anyone used a VAG-COM cable using a usb serial adapter? I am not expecting much, so it might just be good enough to check diagnostics or whatever and not actually code anything.
My friend had one from back in the day when he had an audi and the site says it works with recent models, but I don't own anything with a serial port, but have a USB serial adapter that I could use with a cheap netbook if I picked one up.

If it doesn't work I might as well just buy the newer cable from ross-tech because its probably less hassle than finding some crappy laptop with serial just to use for one purpose.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The tricky thing with USB-Serial adapters is voltage. USB provides 5 volts, RS232 serial is 12 volts. A lot of adapters just use the RS232 protocol at 5 volts rather than including the hardware to step up the voltage, resulting in the equipment at the other end not listening to the signals.

It's always a crapshoot as to whether a given adapter will work with a piece of hardware, your best bet is to look for user experiences and get exact models.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my1999gsr, what are your thoughts on the Routan? VW seems to be pushing those stupid things really hard as of late, are they unable to sell them?

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

minivanmegafun posted:

my1999gsr, what are your thoughts on the Routan? VW seems to be pushing those stupid things really hard as of late, are they unable to sell them?

why vw thought they would be able to sell more chryslers than chrysler, i have no idea

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

primitive posted:

why vw thought they would be able to sell more chryslers than chrysler, i have no idea

Same reason Apple thinks they can sell more Sanyo Eneloops than Sanyo? :v:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So that Jetta...

Thank the EPA for the mandatory 8yr/80k major emissions control warranty, picking it up fixed free of charge after work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

I think the rationale was to make people think "I want a minivan; hey, Volkswagen sells one!" and then release their own one in a few years.

The Routan (and I guess all Chrysler minivans) is shockingly mediocre; I rented one for a day and was pretty amazed at how much worse it is than the Kia Sedona.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

minivanmegafun posted:

We've sold quite a few of them actually. Sales were pretty slow but then the big 3 automakers curtailed their lease programs and we were still offering them so people started buying.

The Routan is a pretty decent van overall. We've had very few problems with them and a handful of simple recalls with no transmission implosions yet. The base Routan comes with more options than the base Caravan and the only engine option is a 4.0L which is pretty powerful. The whole van is Chrysler except some of the cosmetic touches but it handles pretty well and has the expected amount of interior space so if you can find one at a competitive price the Routan is worth a look.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

primitive posted:

VW never wanted to compete directly with Chrysler or any other manufacturer - there's been so much demand for a new Eurovan/Vanagon, VW figured they'd test the waters as cheaply as possible to see if bringing the Suran to North America was worth the trouble so they partenered with Chrysler, dropped a van on the market and waited to see the public response. The experiment is still in progress and corporate isn't talking much so it's still up in the air.

vicpro
Jul 24, 2009

primitive posted:

That exact same thing happened to mine, it's the alternator pulley I think. Mine resulted in a red-hot part ejecting itself forcefully from underneath the car and a decently-sized repair bill, though it drove fine for a couple of days after that :)

It was the alternator pulley, 250$ to get it fixed, the guy said I was lucky that nothing else broke while I was driving there and he was kinda impressed that I knew exactly what the problem was haha, thanks for the help guys!

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

my1999gsr posted:

The Routan is a pretty decent van overall. We've had very few problems with them and a handful of simple recalls with no transmission implosions yet. The base Routan comes with more options than the base Caravan and the only engine option is a 4.0L which is pretty powerful. The whole van is Chrysler except some of the cosmetic touches but it handles pretty well and has the expected amount of interior space so if you can find one at a competitive price the Routan is worth a look.

That's the problem with the Routan, the 3.8L (gas guzzling, slow, slightly rough OHV) is the standard engine for the S and SE models and to step into the VASTLY better 4.0 SOHC you have buy a $37,000 SEL model for a crazy $12K+ more then the S. If the S model was killed off and SE got the 4.0L for its current $30,000ish price it would sell WAY better. Not mention if it can get 3.6L Pentastar V6 along with the revised suspension, seats and interior of the 2011 Chrysler's it would be a good deal.

komradekommissar
Nov 8, 2009
Hello,

I've got an 86 Audi 5000S with a starting problem. 2.2L inline 5 cyl non-turbo.

The car had been mothballed for 7-8 months (October 2009 - May 2010), and when I got it going again for the season, it would drive fine, but then suddenly die for no apparent reason, and pick up again usually almost instantly. This problem got progressively worse, and in my diagnostic efforts, I replaced the fuel filter, as it was almost due and I figured it couldn't hurt.

While I had the filter off, I checked the fuel line pressure. It was quite low, so I suspected the fuel pump. I replaced the pump with a brand new unit, and while the car has more power when it runs now, it still won't start reliably. On a suggestion from a friend, I took apart and thoroughly cleaned the fuel distributor with carburettor cleaner, but to no avail.

It seems that if the car is cold, it will start just fine and, while the idle is a bit rough, it will be fine for a while until it warms up. When it gets hot enough for the cooling fans to cut in (about 100'C or 212'F), it stalls and dies.

If there's anyone who can offer any suggestions, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
Just finished adding the BT 9w7 to my 2010 TDI Jetta. Adding the unit was easy, installing the additional wires (for the left BT audio channel) from the head unit to the wiring harness was a huge pain in the rear end.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

my1999gsr, do you know of any TSBs for 2010 GTIs that require dealers to update your ECU so the cooling system runs longer after the engine shuts off? I found out about it on another forum but there was no number.

e: Also found a post here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4662231-2010-GTI-Annoying-Wind-Noise-from-Door-Seal&p=66914973&viewfull=1#post66914973 about a door seal fix by putting some stuff behind the seal. Have you heard of anything like that being done?

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 26, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

my1999gsr, do you know of any TSBs for 2010 GTIs that require dealers to update your ECU so the cooling system runs longer after the engine shuts off? I found out about it on another forum but there was no number.

e: Also found a post here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4662231-2010-GTI-Annoying-Wind-Noise-from-Door-Seal&p=66914973&viewfull=1#post66914973 about a door seal fix by putting some stuff behind the seal. Have you heard of anything like that being done?

No TSB's for the cooling system run-on time but there is a TSB for the wind noise - TSB 2023699 (released on July 24/10) for adding foam rubber pieces between certain areas of the door seals if a wind noise is present. Some GTIs had the parts added at manufacture - they'll be behind the rubber seal on the B pillar where the upper and lower pillar covers meet.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Is that different from the other wind noise TSB or is it the same one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
Different. Both are still listed in the archive though.