Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Your cousin is a twat.

She said I wasn't allowed to make them until they were old enough to understand the concept of unspeakable horrors from beyond the stars. :(

So now I'm trying to figure something else I can make them that's easy, not the big, and even more bizarre as revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I think the answer is hats that make them look INCREDIBLY stupid. (but cute, at the same time)

alternate answer: human centipede jumper. (one size fits three!)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I think the answer is hats that make them look INCREDIBLY stupid. (but cute, at the same time)

alternate answer: human centipede jumper. (one size fits three!)

She does have three kids! :v:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Make a crocheted Flying Spaghetti Monster.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

Make a crocheted Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I approve this idea. Make sure his meatballs are hanging out.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

Wandering Knitter posted:

She said I wasn't allowed to make them until they were old enough to understand the concept of unspeakable horrors from beyond the stars. :(

So now I'm trying to figure something else I can make them that's easy, not the big, and even more bizarre as revenge

How old are they? My daughter fell in love with Cakethulu when she was three:

Cakethulu! by SeawoodDesigns, on Flickr
http://www.crafts.carolinewood.co.uk/2008/12/back-in-mists-of-time.html

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, we've come to the agreement that I make them robots for Christmas.

Next year, monsters that drive you made from gazing upon them. :colbert:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

After reading in this thread, I decided to pick up my hook again and finish a graphghan I started. I'm making a Legend of Zelda afghan out of small granny squares.

Every group of four squares is going to be a granny square. :) I'm on the third row so far and I'm actually getting the hang of sewing the squares together. I hated sewing but now it's kinda fun.

Thanks to everyone for inspiring me. :)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

After reading in this thread, I decided to pick up my hook again and finish a graphghan I started. I'm making a Legend of Zelda afghan out of small granny squares.

Every group of four squares is going to be a granny square. :) I'm on the third row so far and I'm actually getting the hang of sewing the squares together. I hated sewing but now it's kinda fun.

Thanks to everyone for inspiring me. :)

Ha ha! I've been lurking so far, but now I have to post. How are you doing, This Thread Inspired Me to Make A Zelda Afghan Buddy? :):hf::)

I've made all the squares and now I'm sewing them together. I've never made a blanket so quickly in my life. This thread has been great for my firing up my enthusiasm and getting me hooking again. Such beautiful stuff in here!

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
I just made a cat from this pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/roly-poly-cats also http://puchitomato.livejournal.com/22042.html#cutid1

Completed it while having a Mad Men marathon.

For the feet, I substituted the final decrease round with an extra round of single crochet. As small as the feet were, it was nearly impossible to cram my hook in there and decrease, and having the foot completely closed at the attachment point was making it entirely too hard to sew the legs on.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

I just made a cat from this pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/roly-poly-cats also http://puchitomato.livejournal.com/22042.html#cutid1

Completed it while having a Mad Men marathon.

For the feet, I substituted the final decrease round with an extra round of single crochet. As small as the feet were, it was nearly impossible to cram my hook in there and decrease, and having the foot completely closed at the attachment point was making it entirely too hard to sew the legs on.

Well I was going to work on some of my craft fair stuff or maybe finish my sushi monster today but I guess I can't do that anymore because I need these kittens

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Ha ha! I've been lurking so far, but now I have to post. How are you doing, This Thread Inspired Me to Make A Zelda Afghan Buddy? :):hf::)

I've made all the squares and now I'm sewing them together. I've never made a blanket so quickly in my life. This thread has been great for my firing up my enthusiasm and getting me hooking again. Such beautiful stuff in here!

Hey buddy!!!! I'll probably need a couple more weeks to finish my project, then I'm gonna start on a baby blanket for my cousin. I'm thinking a starghan for her.

I'm jealous of all y'all who can make their own patterns. I have to had a pattern for me to read before I can crochet.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Here's hoping the thread is quiet because everyone is sending out gifts. :haw:

Just reminding folks they're supposed to be sent out at the end of this month. Is anyone up for a Christmas one? Should we get the needle felters and the rest of the knitters in on this? I have a feeling this is mod territory, getting everyone involved, but I'm pretty sure I can be in charge of pairing everyone up again. It would be nice to just hand out a probation or a ban for anyone who doesn't send stuff instead of being responsible for it myself. :D

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Here's hoping the thread is quiet because everyone is sending out gifts. :haw:

Just reminding folks they're supposed to be sent out at the end of this month. Is anyone up for a Christmas one? Should we get the needle felters and the rest of the knitters in on this? I have a feeling this is mod territory, getting everyone involved, but I'm pretty sure I can be in charge of pairing everyone up again. It would be nice to just hand out a probation or a ban for anyone who doesn't send stuff instead of being responsible for it myself. :D

I'd love a Christmas Swap Craft Megathread. :3: And this time I can join in!

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

I'm so afraid of screwing it up somehow. :( I don't have pms so I can't ask a mod about what I'd exactly have to do to not piss everyone off.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Yay christmas swap!

I fully support this idea!

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to join this time, I have lots of things on my mind and I want to share them!

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
I just sent out my gift today! And I'd be up for a Christmas exchange but I'd need notice WAAAAAAY ahead of time. If we had the lead time like we did for this exchange, that would be awesome because it gives me more time to prepare.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

SO what kind of advanced notice are we talking here?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
It would be cool if we could have a full on DIY & Hobbies secret santa where you're only allowed to send handmade things or tools.

In terms of advanced notice... early November?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

It would be cool if we could have a full on DIY & Hobbies secret santa where you're only allowed to send handmade things or tools.

In terms of advanced notice... early November?

Yeah, I can do early Nov. By then I should hopefully be done with my family's Christmas presents :gonk:

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
I agree that if we had our Santee assignments on Nov. 1st, that would be plenty of time to prepare.

Also, I'm all for getting the mods involved and suspending/banning deadbeats. Nothing sucks more than putting in a ton of effort and not having the same done in return.

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.
just checkin in! I'm a bit behind, I might end up buyin a pattern or something for my giftee in addition to what I made so far. it also MIGHT be a tad late, but I'm gonna try and hustle!

and those little roly polys are so cute :3:

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I sent my gifts out today! They should be arriving soonish and unbroken.

...I hope. :ohdear:

Goldirocks
Mar 17, 2008
I got my gift! It was wonderful and totally turned around a really horrible day. Thanks Scooty Puff Jr.! My jackalope is so adorable, my cat is very jealous and has attempted several times to steal it for himself. :3: The notions case was also awesome and the jellybeans as well. I'll try to get pictures up in a bit. Thanks so much! :neckbeard:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Yay! I'm so happy you like it! And that it came on a day that needed brightening!

Making people feel happy makes me feel happy :)

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Squares, squares, squares... still making these drat squares.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

popgenie posted:

Squares, squares, squares... still making these drat squares.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

YAY squares! What were you making again?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

YAY squares! What were you making again?

^^ this ^^

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

popgenie posted:

^^ this ^^

You're a braver goon than I.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

popgenie posted:

^^ this ^^

That is amazing! How big is it going to be? And did you just create the pattern in Excel? (I'm a graph-ghan newb)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

I made a wonky frog with only 2 legs. Hooray.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
ehehehe lookit its little scarf.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

That is amazing! How big is it going to be? And did you just create the pattern in Excel? (I'm a graph-ghan newb)

I'm making three inch squares; finished size should be aprox. six feet square. The pattern is 23x23, so 529 total squares. It's a Christmas present for my brother (who is also on these forums... shhh!)

I use Sun Microsystem's OpenOffice, but yeah, basically the same thing as Excel.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

popgenie posted:

I'm making three inch squares; finished size should be aprox. six feet square. The pattern is 23x23, so 529 total squares. It's a Christmas present for my brother (who is also on these forums... shhh!)

I use Sun Microsystem's OpenOffice, but yeah, basically the same thing as Excel.

Nice progress! I'm curious how much yarn that will take.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Just checking in as well, I sent Isis an email about the exchange but I'll post here too. I'm a bit behind as well and I've been working full-time for my school for the past couple of weeks, but it should be over soon and then I can send out my package. I made my giftee a nice scarf and there are other goodies too :3: I hope nobody thinks I am a deadbeat!

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

Nice progress! I'm curious how much yarn that will take.

Rougly 16.5 feet per square, plus some to join it all together... somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.65 miles of yarn all told.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
How many skeins of yarn is that? :psyduck: Actually, never mind, I'm scared to hear the answer.

shark farts, I totally just noticed your absence today and was going to send a search party.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I'm thinking about picking up two crochet books from amazon.com: 200 Crochet Blocks and Around the Corner Crochet Borders. I've heard good things about them but was wondering what you wonderful people thought about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZygomaticusMajor
Mar 14, 2008

It's what you want. It's what every white boy off the lake wants.
Hello fellow hookers! I have been a big fan to many of your works, and have been following this thread for a while now! I am rather excited to say now though, that I can officially join in, and show off what I did for this summer.

For the start of this summer I was bored and had nothing to do especially since college was out, so pretty much at the ending of June I decided to do a big blanket for my fiancé. He is a good 5’11, so I knew the blanket had to be rather larger than normal. So I went to Wall-Mart and purchased a crochet blanket book, stole a core designing pattern, and pretty much used it as the starter for the blanket. The rest of the design I pretty much came up with after I finished the panels.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

These are the panels mentioned before. I realized that it was smart of me to use black yarn first because even with light shining directly onto the color it was still hard to see where to hook into.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

This is what all the panels looked like when all were officially done.

Click here for the full 640x408 image.

And that is the yarn I had left to do the edges, and filler in gaps, etc

Pretty much to do the fillers I decided to go for the popcorn stitch and then hdc before joining them together. Instead of using a yarn needle I decided to go for the “Zipper” look thus putting them together with my crochet needle.

This is the blanket with all of its fillers!

After that, when my lovely fiancé saw that it was almost done he made a side comment about how it would be cooler if it had Initials and what not…so…I tried to crochet letters and after 10 tries of trying to make a perfect ‘J’ I gave up and decided no more crocheting alphabets for me! So, here he is with his new crochet blanket in use! I should mention that he is a Lego dude, and a fellow goon on here, and he is the one who chose the blanket colors. However, I realized that the colors matches his avatar/huge lego ship he built a while back :argh: [sigh]

And this is me just showing off the edges of the blanket!

Questions or Opinions are welcomed!