Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Looks like it's going to be $6900 ($7500 polished) for the 525hp version and $7200 ($7750 polished) for the 624hp version.

Biggest news in my opinion is that the difference between the 525hp version and the 624hp version is 2psi; 7 vs 9. Both version use 93 octane tunes.

Edit: Almost forgot, 50 state legal. Whipple and Ford jumped through the hoops for a CARB EO number. Whipple says their number is good to 12psi too.
I assume these are two separate blowers then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Muffinpox posted:

I wonder what the difference is, i.e. if once you are through the 12mo warranty you can just change some code and have 624hp.

destructo posted:

I assume these are two separate blowers then?

Different pulley and tune, no difference with the blower itself as far as I'm aware.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Wait so once you put this on your engine your engine warranty effectively becomes 12 months? or does the engine still have 3 years, and its just the supercharger that has 12 months?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

Wait so once you put this on your engine your engine warranty effectively becomes 12 months? or does the engine still have 3 years, and its just the supercharger that has 12 months?

I'm going to guess your engine warranty goes to 12 months from 36. I guess you can ride out your factory warranty and then install the supercharger if the warranty means something to you.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

I'm going to guess your engine warranty goes to 12 months from 36. I guess you can ride out your factory warranty and then install the supercharger if the warranty means something to you.

if i had a 2011 gt i certainly wouldnt have the balls to do it until my last year of the warranty.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Different pulley and tune, no difference with the blower itself as far as I'm aware.
I guess I'm just confused as to how we're going to see another hunnert horsepower from 2 psi unless Ford left a ton of ignition timing on the table.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

destructo posted:

I guess I'm just confused as to how we're going to see another hunnert horsepower from 2 psi unless Ford left a ton of ignition timing on the table.

Dustin from Whipple answered this question:

quote:

So whats the deal with making 100 more hp on only 2 more lbs of boost? Whats different ? neither kit mentioned larger full pumps or anything , are they not nessassary even with the 9lb kit?

With this:

quote:

Correct, stock fuel pumps. 2psi more, more agressive timing and air fuel. Both have passed full durability testing so I can assure you both are "safe" setups as with all FRPP SC systems.

Both use the 2.3L Whipple W140ax gen 2 case.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So essentially, although they're claiming both setups as "safe", they were more safe with the base setup, and therefore under-utilize the 7 lbs compared with the higher setup?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Fucknag posted:

So essentially, although they're claiming both setups as "safe", they were more safe with the base setup, and therefore under-utilize the 7 lbs compared with the higher setup?

I have a feeling that Ford didn't want to warranty 624hp while using the stock powdered metal rods. The tune might be safe on the 624hp version, but you're living on the edge with those rods. If you even hint at detonation you're building a new shortblock.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

I have a feeling that Ford didn't want to warranty 624hp while using the stock powdered metal rods. The tune might be safe on the 624hp version, but you're living on the edge with those rods. If you even hint at detonation you're building a new shortblock.

How much is a set of forged rods/pistons, $1000? Is it cost or labor that keeps those out of the kit?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

How much is a set of forged rods/pistons, $1000? Is it cost or labor that keeps those out of the kit?

Yeah, cost and labor are the reasons, but I don't think I've ever seen rods and pistons in any forced induction kit.

Livernois has a set of rods and pistons for the new 5.0 for $1250 including rings and bearings. They look to be quality pieces.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33096

new engines for the f-150s, basically the mustang engines with a few tweaks such as forged bottom ends for both engines, and a cam/heads for the 5.0 for low-end torque over horsepower.

I apologize for dredging up a non-Mustang post, but this means they killed that 4.4L diesel, doesn't it? :(

Fats fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 24, 2010

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

frozenphil posted:

$6900...525hp...$7200...624hp...93 octane tunes...50 state legal

I love this thread.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Good video comparing the GT to the BMW M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Radiohead71 posted:

More than anything, I want to subscribe to Randy Pobst reviewing cars. His perspective is awesome. Though obviously it's very track oriented. No need to apologize or talk about the solid axle.

Something else comes to mind -- the M3's issues might be dialable with an alignment. But the stang might need some new shocks. That wouldn't close up the money gap, though.

e: I know this was focused on driving characteristics and time, and not interior quality, but I'm surprised Randy didn't even briefly mentioned how the seats felt.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 24, 2010

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Radiohead71 posted:

Excellent video, Randy Pobst is such a good guy. It really irks me though when the Mustang is always paired against cars that are a hundred times more sophisticated, cost tens of thousands of dollars more, and it barely finishes behind them. As the guy in the video said "a win is a win" and they then tear the car down because it's like 1/10th of a second slower in an unofficial lap (even though it's 0-60 is the same and it brakes faster than the M3 in the same test) than it's incredibly high competition and that instantly makes it the loser, seriously :wtc:

I agree with kimbo - the Mustang won't even come close to closing the cost gap of both cars with an upgrade or two and then will be twice the car it was.

That review reminds me of the time Road & Track did a test on the top model Viper versus the Corvette Z06 and the Viper absolutely destroyed the Corvette in every test...and the Viper preceded to lose because "the ride quality is too harsh for street use and it doesn't come equipped with a cup holder" :psyduck: I just don't take these 'professional' reviews seriously anymore.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
It's going to be really interesting to see the Boss go up against the M3. The additional horsepower alone would push the Mustang ahead. Going by Randy's comments about how poor the GT shocks are, the suspension upgrade from the Boss will probably make the the biggest improvement, with the extra horsepower being the icing on the cake.

:911:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

That review reminds me of the time Road & Track did a test on the top model Viper versus the Corvette Z06 and the Viper absolutely destroyed the Corvette in every test...and the Viper preceded to lose because "the ride quality is too harsh for street use and it doesn't come equipped with a cup holder" :psyduck: I just don't take these 'professional' reviews seriously anymore.

The title of this thread was taken from the greatest review ever wherein Car & Driver tested the 2005 GTO and the 2005 Mustang against one another. Despite winning nearly every performance category the GTO lost due to the Mustang having the "gotta have it factor". Apparently more people wanting to buy your car makes it the better performer. God help us if they ever pit the Camry against any sports car; sports cars won't stand a chance.

The infamous article: here
The infamous chart from the infamous article: here

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 24, 2010

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I figured that the title of the thread was a play on Car and Driver. I've loved C/D since the late 80s but that test result is hard to explain. Make you wonder if they were on the take. I think most readers take articles with a grain of salt. The smart ones anyways.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Fats posted:

I apologize for dredging up a non-Mustang post, but this means they killed that 4.4L diesel, doesn't it? :(

Noooooooo gently caress that sucks soooo bad :(

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Radiohead71 posted:

I love this video. I just imagine jeremy clarkson doing his impersonation of german car fans "Comparing your MUSTANG against an M3? Dont make me laugh-- :qq:"

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 24, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
By the way, my cousin installed the corsa axle back exhaust on his 2011 yesterday (it was harder than i expected, we took almost 2 hours). It sounds good but not great. Its very quiet until you get to about 4000-4500rpm. It sounds like a muffled piece of tin foil is being drummed when sitting inside the car. On the highway what was really odd was it seemed like it was coming from 2 cars behind us, as if the sound couldnt catch up. Sort of like how distant thunder sounds. Its still a lot better than the stock exhaust which cant be heard unless its WOT all the way to fuckin red line.

I suggested he try ford racing parts GT axle back exhaust for california (they literally made one thats 49 states legal, and 50 states legal, due to loudness) so he knows he has the best possible axle back exhaust but he isnt buying the suggestion :(

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Omegaslast posted:

By the way, my cousin installed the corsa axle back exhaust on his 2011 yesterday (it was harder than i expected, we took almost 2 hours). It sounds good but not great. Its very quiet until you get to about 4000-4500rpm. It sounds like a muffled piece of tin foil is being drummed when sitting inside the car. On the highway what was really odd was it seemed like it was coming from 2 cars behind us, as if the sound couldnt catch up. Sort of like how distant thunder sounds. Its still a lot better than the stock exhaust which cant be heard unless its WOT all the way to fuckin red line.

I suggested he try ford racing parts GT axle back exhaust for california (they literally made one thats 49 states legal, and 50 states legal, due to loudness) so he knows he has the best possible axle back exhaust but he isnt buying the suggestion :(

Recent cars seem to be getting too much noise insulation :(. My dad's 2010 CTS-V was the exactly same way. We put on the Corsa Sport catback and you simply can't hear it from inside unless you are hard on the gas and near the rev limiter....meanwhile the car is screaming from the outside.

And then you put on long tube headers, and it's still quiet inside but your neighbors are foaming at the mouth every time you start the car.

More reason to get the Boss with the reduced noise dampening, haha.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The correct answer is an offroad x-pipe and the Magnaflow competition cat-back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhRBCziQ6s

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

He hates drone and so do i, so thats one reason he went with corsa i think. every other manufacturer its a toss up if its going to drone or not.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

He hates drone and so do i, so thats one reason he went with corsa i think. every other manufacturer its a toss up if its going to drone or not.

According to the Lethal guys there is no drone with that combo posted in the video. They checked it out from idle to 110mph. The rasp you can hear is the camera, according to them.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Snap, that sounds good!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

According to the Lethal guys there is no drone with that combo posted in the video. They checked it out from idle to 110mph. The rasp you can hear is the camera, according to them.

Ive yet to see anyone claim a 2011 gt exhaust has drone though. one guy got muffler deletes on his 2011 from flowmaster which is loud as poo poo and then said it has zero drone, which it almost certainly does.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
So why is the X-pipe off road? Did it eliminate some sensors?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Skyssx posted:

So why is the X-pipe off road? Did it eliminate some sensors?

Pretty sure the 2011 is like the rest of the mustangs and has the cats on the x pipe. Offroad x-pipe means it has no cats.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Radiohead71 posted:

That was a pretty good video. Most Youtube car review videos want to make me blow my brains out, but that was a good one. Good to see the Mustang has improved so much over the years.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Excellent video, Randy Pobst is such a good guy. It really irks me though when the Mustang is always paired against cars that are a hundred times more sophisticated, cost tens of thousands of dollars more, and it barely finishes behind them. As the guy in the video said "a win is a win" and they then tear the car down because it's like 1/10th of a second slower in an unofficial lap (even though it's 0-60 is the same and it brakes faster than the M3 in the same test) than it's incredibly high competition and that instantly makes it the loser, seriously :wtc:

I agree with kimbo - the Mustang won't even come close to closing the cost gap of both cars with an upgrade or two and then will be twice the car it was.

Even stupider is the fact that the motor trend guy drove both around the track and the mustang was .55 seconds faster (the article is on their main page). I think they chalk it up to the mustangs low end torque which means you dont have to be driving the car on the limits of RPM the whole time. So in the hands of an average joe the mustang will probably win, when the m3 is supposed to be the "drivers" car and have hundreds of millions in R&D and a huge racing lineage backing it up. Guess that only goes so far though.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 25, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

m3...a huge racing lineage backing it up..

I'd wager the Mustang's racing lineage goes back a little further than the M3's.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

frozenphil posted:

I'd wager the Mustang's racing lineage goes back a little further than the M3's.

Maybe its just me but when i think of a mustang i dont exactly think ford was passing on all their racing poo poo to their road cars. When i think of M badge i think that its supposed to be a representation of BMWs racing parts. Im probably wrong about that though. reason i think this is because 335i and the M3 differ a lot, so do the z4 coupe and the m coupe, theyre very very different cars.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 25, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

Maybe its just me but when i think of a mustang i dont exactly think ford was passing on all their racing poo poo to their road cars. When i think of M badge i think that its supposed to be a representation of BMWs racing parts. Im probably wrong about that though. reason i think this is because 335i and the M3 differ a lot, so do the z4 coupe and the m coupe, theyre very very different cars.

Another way to look at it is that Ford builds all of their Mustangs for racing, not just a select few*.

*Shut up you assholes, read the thread title and chillax.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I guess lets change subjects to how lovely the spoiler was adhered to my 1999 GT. The adhesive completely was gone and the thing almost fell off when the last nut came off if i wasnt holding it. Luckily theres only SEVERE paint missing and a little bit of rust near the biggest holes on the left and right side. fuuuuck.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Omegaslast posted:

Well see the M3 is just a tuner version of the 3 series commuter cars. The Mustang, on the other hand, is a streetable version of the FRPP racing cars. For just a little more than the plain jane M3, you can get an actual race Mustang used in series like ALMS or RSCC.

e: No ironic :v: because it's true.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Skyssx posted:

Well see the M3 is just a tuner version of the 3 series commuter cars. The Mustang, on the other hand, is a streetable version of the FRPP racing cars. For just a little more than the plain jane M3, you can get an actual race Mustang used in series like ALMS or RSCC.

e: No ironic :v: because it's true.

Thats actually pretty cool. How much money and modifications would it take to get a 5.0 to FRPP spec? I would think full shocks and spring kit from FRPP and some chassis stuff would get you pretty close. Then a crapton of weight reduction.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

Thats actually pretty cool. How much money and modifications would it take to get a 5.0 to FRPP spec? I would think full shocks and spring kit from FRPP and some chassis stuff would get you pretty close. Then a crapton of weight reduction.

You can buy them through the Ford Racing catalog.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/Vehicles1.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

frozenphil posted:

You can buy them through the Ford Racing catalog.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/Vehicles1.asp

And people ask me why I love Ford so much...