Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I still read deadspin a lot, but yeah, it's gone down. It's always been more entertainment than actual news, but the balance definitely has gone much more TMZ-ish lately. I don't particular care since I really don't go there expecting hard hitting poo poo.

Magary makes me laugh like hell though.

For good journalists, I used to like Adrian Wojnarowski when he did general columns for The Bergen Record. He actually came and spoke with my class for a couple of hours. Very cool dude. Don't really read him as much on yahoo because I don't care for basketball too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
This is on the ugly side of things: Plagiarism!

Long story short: Pension Plan Puppets, which SAS poster Chemmy contributes to, translated a quote in a foreign hockey magazine about a Maple Leafs player. The Toronto Sun picked up these translations almost verbatim (see last link) and attributed it to the original source instead of the blog. Check for yourself.

The Sun's ripoff: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/08/19/15081386.html

PPP's: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/8/18/1628909/frantisek-kaberle-sr-i-dont

The aftermath:

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/8/20/1633273/if-imitation-is-the-most-sincere#storyjump
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2010/8/20/1633616/the-toronto-sun-classy#44832286

A handy little graph to illustrate just how blatant it was:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=18oNfUJkMSymWyuaxVzkGEIvhSBIPSiQoKGs3XPFLkgM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Jason Whitlock is in the midst of a live radio meltdown about how he is quitting/getting fired/who the gently caress knows.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=KCSP

:munch:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I cannot stress how good this is.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Holy poo poo

"The people that don't know me, they're gonna attack me!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jon posted:

Holy poo poo

"The people that don't know me, they're gonna attack me!"

It is literally a three hour window in to the mind of a crazy person on the radio.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Jason Whitlock is in the midst of a live radio meltdown about how he is quitting/getting fired/who the gently caress knows.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=KCSP

:munch:

From what I've heard he basically spent the first hour ripping everyone in the area media and accused his editor of screwing her way into her position. I hope Fox fires his rear end for being completely unprofessional about everything.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Today on PTI Dan Lebetard mentioned a profile on Roger Clemens(I think he said it was by Pat Jordan?) where Roger apparently yelled to hod "don't gently caress with me" or something along those lines. Does anyone know where I can find this article?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

dokomoy posted:

Today on PTI Dan Lebetard mentioned a profile on Roger Clemens(I think he said it was by Pat Jordan?) where Roger apparently yelled to hod "don't gently caress with me" or something along those lines. Does anyone know where I can find this article?

Maybe this one? I haven't read it, but I can't imagine Jordan's written more then one profile on Clemens.

Elsewhere, here's a selection from noted sports journalist Bill Simmons latest mega-column:

quote:

Aniston's life resonates with that demographic better than anyone. Now she's 41, still hunting for a man, her ovaries rumbling like Earl Campbell, but we're all a little confused because … I mean, how could Jennifer Aniston, of all people, not find a man?

I know he's low-hanging fruit, but even for Simmons this is pretty egregious.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Thought this was the proper place to put this. Seems on par for Jay.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/espn-personality-jay-mariotti-arrested.html

quote:

ESPN's Jay Mariotti arrested by L.A. police
August 21, 2010 | 8:17 am

ESPN personalities and sports columnist Jay Mariotti was arrested overnight by Los Angeles police officers in the Pacific division.

He was booked on suspicion of a felony, but officials would not provide further details.

A source with knowledge of the case described it as a domestic disturbance charge involving his girlfriend. He was being held on $50,000 bail.

Mariotti is a well-known sports commentator who can be seen on the ESPN show "Around the Horn." He also writes for a sports website called Fanhouse.com. Known for his outspoken views, he used to write a sports column for the Denver Post and the Chicago Sun-Times.

Details of the arrest were not immediately available.

-- Andrew Blankstein

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vertical Lime posted:

Thought this was the proper place to put this. Seems on par for Jay.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/espn-personality-jay-mariotti-arrested.html

I love the derisive terms they describe Fanhouse in. "Some loving website"

Also, I wonder when ESPN.com will update their front page with this news?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It'll probably make the front page of the Sun-Times

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

According to the Chicago Sun-Times it's some sort of physical altercation with his girlfriend. Can't really say I'm shocked.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2623460,mariotti-arrest-082110.article

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I found it! I found it! The worst article ever. Paul Daugherty thinks replay at the Little League World Series is a sin because it's denying the kids a chance to deal with it like a man when an umpire who may or may not admit his mistake crushes the hopes and dreams of a 10 year old with a bad call.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/paul_daugherty/08/19/ll.replay/index.html?eref=sihp

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
From that article:

"If a mistake at work gets you fired, do you scream for a do-over?"

If I got fired because of a mistake that could have been easily corrected by watching 5 seconds of video (or something else requiring minimal effort and existing technology), you better believe I would be screaming for a goddamn do-over.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
This idiot gets it completely wrong. The correct analogy is "If somebody else makes a mistake which gets you fired, do you scream for a do-over?" and 90% of people would answer "Hell yes."

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Is there a highlight real of Jason Whitlock's meltdown on the internet somewhere?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, you know your sports journalism sucks when your own newspaper is accusing it's team of taking steroids. Damien Cox is basically saying "Bautista is hitting dingers, bet he's on steroids!"

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2010/08/gotta-at-least-ask-the-question.html

quote:

The Blue Jays, we know, have quietly become known as a bit of a nest for alleged steroid abusers over the years. Clemens played here. Gregg Zaun has been implicated. Ditto for Troy Glaus.

And now comes Bautista. Blue Jay fans will, of course, angrily respond to the suggestion that everything isn't on the up-and-up, just as I remember getting bushels of bitter emails from baseball fans when questioning Mark McGwire's open use of androstenedione back when he was smashing Roger Maris' record.

My favourite line was always how steroids couldn't help a baseball player hit home runs. Too funny.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
holy poo poo that guy has to be trolling, right?

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
That article also has the best comment ever

"The list starts at Jose Bautista.
I think you can add Aaron Hill as well.
The guy has a 200 batting average yet has almost 20 home runs?
A bit suspicious to me."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dave Kingman was a roid freak.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Is the joke that Aaron Hill is clearly having a down year or that anyone who hits 20 DINGERS is on roids?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I love the rationalization of people who point the steroids finger. Literally ANY type of season where a player hits for power can be construed as due to steroids.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
What do you mean a guy can suddenly get better during his prime years

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Bigass Moth posted:

Is the joke that Aaron Hill is clearly having a down year or that anyone who hits 20 DINGERS is on roids?

He is only hitting 200, he's a terrible hitter how is he hitting so many homeruns

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Citoball isn't swinging at pitches as hard as you possibly can and take no pitches, it's Cito Gastion in a back room injecting steroids into his players' rear end. The gig is up, which is why he's retiring at the end of the season.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

seiferguy posted:

Citoball isn't swinging at pitches as hard as you possibly can and take no pitches, it's Cito Gastion in a back room injecting steroids into his players' rear end. The gig is up, which is why he's retiring at the end of the season.

hahaha

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Damien Cox is a notorious shithead, he mostly writes about hockey and tennis. He really does just openly troll his readers, has been known to turn about face on his own opinions week to week, and it's best to just treat his bullshit as background noise.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

That disastrous Sarah Silvermen tie-in that deadspin did really turned me off from the site. Is it any surprise that it completely blew up in their faces?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

haljordan posted:

That disastrous Sarah Silvermen tie-in that deadspin did really turned me off from the site. Is it any surprise that it completely blew up in their faces?

I missed this; what happened?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

I missed this; what happened?

this, apparently:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/sarah-silverman-deadspin/

I didn't know about it before, but my appreciation for Silverman has risen after seeing this masterful low-effort trolling of Daulerio

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Damien Cox is a notorious shithead, he mostly writes about hockey and tennis. He really does just openly troll his readers, has been known to turn about face on his own opinions week to week, and it's best to just treat his bullshit as background noise.

I have a downgoesbrown.com NHL suspension flowchart pinned to my cubicle wall that includes "Did Damien Cox turn it into an anti-fighting Column anyways?", so yeah pretty much par for the course from him.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

seiferguy posted:

Man, you know your sports journalism sucks when your own newspaper is accusing it's team of taking steroids. Damien Cox is basically saying "Bautista is hitting dingers, bet he's on steroids!"

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2010/08/gotta-at-least-ask-the-question.html

I know, I know, Deadspin comments, but I thought this was pretty good:

quote:

Not everyone has the balls for the "I don't have any evidence, but wouldn't it be great if it were true?" slant AJ prefers.

And the "perpetuating the story not with additional information but with stories about other people talking about the first allegations" was brilliant too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

DNS posted:

this, apparently:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/sarah-silverman-deadspin/

I didn't know about it before, but my appreciation for Silverman has risen after seeing this masterful low-effort trolling of Daulerio

Yeah, this sounds like a non-issue that Daulerio blew up about for no reason. I can understand the frustration with the situation, but throwing a hissy fit about tech issues is an odd reaction.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
Just my opinion, but Deadspin has gone from a fairly entertaining and refreshing sports blog when Leitch was EIC to a hateful, snarky TMZ/Gawker hybrid that's almost unreadable at this point beyond Drew Magery. If they've gotten rid of Dashiell Bennett, that's at least a step in the right direction.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
At least Deadspin is better than Bleacher Report.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

swizz posted:

Just my opinion, but Deadspin has gone from a fairly entertaining and refreshing sports blog when Leitch was EIC to a hateful, snarky TMZ/Gawker hybrid that's almost unreadable at this point beyond Drew Magery. If they've gotten rid of Dashiell Bennett, that's at least a step in the right direction.

Craggs is good too but yeah that's pretty much the universal consensus.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

seiferguy posted:

He's not injecting it into their rear end dude. Citoball and all. It is more effective that way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Craggs is good too but yeah that's pretty much the universal consensus.

The bottom line would argue otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

He's not injecting it into their rear end dude. Citoball's and all. It is more effective that way.