Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There's a chinese company called Kitech who have some fairly interesting models. Apparently they're all recasts, and of dubious quality. However, it was the only way to get a model that I wanted and would be near impossible (for me) to scratchbuild :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

...near impossible (for me) to scratchbuild :smith:

What is it you're after?

Not saying I could make it, just interested.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

What is it you're after?

Not saying I could make it, just interested.

V-22 Osprey in 1/72 scale. I got the kitech one and the quality isn't that bad. There is/was an Italeri kit in that scale but it seemed to be out of production with no prospect of return. I haven't actually made it yet though - the plan was to make some kind of diorama but I only recently found suitable figures to go with it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Danger - Octopus! posted:

V-22 Osprey in 1/72 scale. I got the kitech one and the quality isn't that bad. There is/was an Italeri kit in that scale but it seemed to be out of production with no prospect of return.

They had to take it out of production after it killed a bunch of people.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...

Nebakenezzer posted:

They had to take it out of production after it killed a bunch of people.

You almost sucked me in on that one. Nice.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Expert opinion request! Are the Ma.K kits in this ebay store still in production/original or likely to be recasts?

http://stores.ebay.com/Dream-Box-in-Suzhou

I ask because the 40K forum The Waaagh is mad for their original Ork tank, which I'm sure looks familiar but can't place it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Resin-Kit-Warhammer-40K-Ork-Tank-/250682062093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Shallow posted:

I ask because the 40K forum The Waaagh is mad for their original Ork tank, which I'm sure looks familiar but can't place it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Resin-Kit-Warhammer-40K-Ork-Tank-/250682062093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

That looks like a cast of a scratchbuild/conversion. Turret looks like a real-world 1/35 tank turret but I can see a few GW bits and pieces in there.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Shallow posted:

Expert opinion request! Are the Ma.K kits in this ebay store still in production/original or likely to be recasts?
These are horrid, horrid turds. re-re-recast.

Edit: Ebay is only useful for finding oop stuff (you kinda have to know what you are looking for). I had a look through all the Ma.k and sf3d listings on there and 95 percent is either fake (and real lovely quality) or waaay over priced.

-The postings really fluctuate as well, one day is a desert the other a goldmine. Anyway best listing I could find was this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SF3D-Original-Neuspotter-Nitto-1-20-scale-/130419870839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_548wt_1154
45$ for a 20-30 year old kit is a loving bargain.

-Best non ebay source for non-oop stuff is HLJ:
http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?SeriesID=968&MacroType=InjKit&Dis=-2&GenreCode=Sci&searchpage=Scitop
The Stingray lunadiver and the Falke are very reasonably priced for kits of that size and complexity and gorgeous as well.

alcyon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 13, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shallow posted:

The turret is a Sherman's, which may be why it looks familiar.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alcyon posted:

These are horrid, horrid turds. re-re-recast.

Edit: Ebay is only useful for finding oop stuff (you kinda have to know what you are looking for). I had a look through all the Ma.k and sf3d listings on there and 95 percent is either fake (and real lovely quality) or waaay over priced.

-The postings really fluctuate as well, one day is a desert the other a goldmine. Anyway best listing I could find was this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SF3D-Original-Neuspotter-Nitto-1-20-scale-/130419870839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_548wt_1154
45$ for a 20-30 year old kit is a loving bargain.

-Best non ebay source for non-oop stuff is HLJ:
http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?SeriesID=968&MacroType=InjKit&Dis=-2&GenreCode=Sci&searchpage=Scitop
The Stingray lunadiver and the Falke are very reasonably priced for kits of that size and complexity and gorgeous as well.
Is there any talk of them re-releasing the "Jerry" or "Super-Jerry" Ma.K kits? I think they look great, but gently caress paying $200+ for them on eBay.

Edit-- also anyone know a place to get these MiG Productions walking tank kits for a somewhat reasonable price?

Edit again-- and the Ma.K Tornado kit?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 15, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- also anyone know a place to get these MiG Productions walking tank kits for a somewhat reasonable price?

They cost 70 Euros new from the Mig store, which is about 90 dollars equivalent before shipping I think. I wouldn't expect to find them too much cheaper than that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-posting from the Trad Games miniatures thread.

Here's a few pics of some stuff I finished up recently. I love wacky WWII occult super-science poo poo (or at least, stuff that fits the general WWII "dieselpunk" aesthetic).

A slightly modified Smart Max "Mauser Earth" Panzerjunker U-Bot (1/35 scale)

Click here for the full 700x570 image.

Click here for the full 465x700 image.

And a Wave/Nitto "Maschinen Krieger" Krote (1/20 scale)

Click here for the full 523x700 image.

Click here for the full 700x467 image.

My sister took the pictures while I was at work; she didn't realize the Krote's legs are "backwards" so she's going to take some more pictures of both models in more even lighting sometime this week. I've got other stuff I finished up recently as well, mostly "Secrets of the Third Reich" stuff like mech walkers, powered armor, and Nazi zombies, as well as a 1/72 scale Horten Ho 229.

I'm working on a set of Wargames Factory "Shock Troops" right now, and I've got a JunkTankRock "SEG-888 Hornet" coming in the mail.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 16, 2010

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I've pretty much quit making models but the one car I'd like to build is one from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Why do they have models of virtually everything else that has been in movies / comics / tv series/ anime but not that car? I know there's a replica for $40 and an ancient and expensive Aurora kit but nothing current.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just scored another Ma.K model kit, I got an original "Fledermaus" 1/20 kit from a Japanese seller for $50. Seemed like a pretty good deal, and the kit looks cool:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

New pics of my "wacky WWII"-themed model kits and miniatures:

Click here for the full 610x700 image.

Click here for the full 548x695 image.

Click here for the full 467x700 image.

Click here for the full 467x700 image.

Click here for the full 700x379 image.

Click here for the full 700x414 image.

Click here for the full 575x700 image.

Click here for the full 613x700 image.

Click here for the full 588x700 image.

Click here for the full 539x700 image.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Very nice, I love the sentinel/helmet jobby.

What scale is that flying wing?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cakefool posted:

Just so you know, you can get models of the real Horten Go-229. Though in that same vein, you can also get the ultimate in asymmetrical crazyplanes as covered in this edition of My Tank is Fight!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cakefool posted:

The Go-229 is 1:72 scale. In fact, I built the exact kit that Nebakenezzer linked to.

It's a fun kit and it's not too hard to make, you even get some options on decals/markings, whether you want landing gear up or down, and whether you want the weapon coverings on or off. In fact, I think the way the kit is designed you can build the jet engines separately, and the wings are separate the same way they are on the real plane.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Is there is significant difference between resin kits and plastic kits other than the price tag?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is there is significant difference between resin kits and plastic kits other than the price tag?

One is dangerously toxic.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Xenomrph posted:

New pics of my "wacky WWII"-themed model kits and miniatures:

Click here for the full 700x379 image.

Click here for the full 700x414 image.

I love stuff like this. This is what I've been making recently (not finished, obviously)

- it's a Hughes Devastator from Crimson Skies, for those that don't know.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Unkempt posted:

I love stuff like this. This is what I've been making recently (not finished, obviously)

- it's a Hughes Devastator from Crimson Skies, for those that don't know.
Crimson Skies owns, I have a bunch of pewter miniatures from that, including the "museum scale" Devastator. I'll have to take some pictures of it, it's pretty neat. Mine has an identical paint scheme to yours, but the colors are different. Where yours is red, white, and black, mine is grey, yellow, and navy blue, respectively.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 23, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Xenomrph posted:

Crimson Skies owns.

Agreed.

Xenomrph posted:

The "museum scale" Devastator. I'll have to take some pictures of it, it's pretty neat.

Yeah, I'd love to see that. I am presuming the answer is "no" but is there anywhere to get one anymore (for a reasonable price)?

Xenomrph posted:

Grey, yellow, and navy blue, respectively.

Isn't that the German livery from Crimson skies?

Also Unkempt I love that Devastator, it was always my favorite CS plane.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

What scale is 'Museum scale'? Mine's 1/72, converted from (mostly) an Airfix Hawker Sea Fury kit. I'm tempted to try a 1/48 next.

This place says they have both the Devastator and the Fury for £24.95 each, but I've never heard of the shop before.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're Ral Partha. The Europe branch was seperate from the US branch when FASA bought them out. I got some stuff from them last week. It's a little lower-quality in terms of moulding than the Ironwind Metals moulds but pretty decent.

"Museum Scale" seems to be "about toy-sized" or "looks good in a cabinet from across the room" sized. The mechs on that site are about 3-4 inches tall IIRC.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No Pun Intended posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see that. I am presuming the answer is "no" but is there anywhere to get one anymore (for a reasonable price)?
I've got no idea, to be honest. I got my Devastator back in 2003 or so.

No Pun Intended posted:

Isn't that the German livery from Crimson skies?
I don't think it is, I just chose those colors because it was the same colors of the university I was attending at the time. :v:

No Pun Intended posted:

Also Unkempt I love that Devastator, it was always my favorite CS plane.
Hell yes, the Devastator was always my favorite Crimson Skies plane as well.

Looking at my Devastator I would probably strip the paint and repaint it if I could, it looks a little sloppy. It was one of the very first models I ever painted and I really didn't use the right brushes for the job because I didn't know what I was doing. I also painted it with enamel paints because I didn't know the difference between acrylics and enamels, so I don't even know how I'd strip the paint on it to re-do it without totally ruining the model or something. :(

hentaipanda
Feb 6, 2007

As always: the urgent does not leave time for the important
My local hobby shop keeper suggested I put my enamel-painted models that need to be stripped in a container full of oven cleaner. Never tried it mind you, but eh, it might work.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Crossposting this:

Can anyone tell me if this is a decent starter airbrush kit? I'm interested in this one because the local hobby shop has one for $250. Since I live in Australia buying from overseas via mailorder for better known models isn't really an option due to shipping charges.

http://www.ultimatetoys.com.au/delt...01-p-15759.html
(not buying from that shop, just an example of the product.)

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

That looks very much like a brand X Chinese-made compressor and airbrush that somebody's bunged a couple of stickers on to try and make it look a bit more fancy than it really is. A quick trip to XE.com tells me that I paid about 30% less than that for an identical compressor but with a 1.5L tank attached, and two airbrushes. I'm in the UK though so no idea what local availability will be like for you. Don't forget to check ebay.

It'll be fine to begin with, you'll certainly be able to keep using the compressor if you upgrade to a better brush.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What Shallow said. I think getting a good quality airbrush might take priority over getting everything in one go. I paid $150 for mine; it had everything but a compressor.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

I went ahead and bought it, probably a silly thing to do but oh well. Have not had time to play with it yet. Will do so on the weekend and report back. I did plug in and turn on the compressor and was surprised it was not louder.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Bumping with an update:

I am awesomely horrible with an airbrush but dear god it's one of the most fun things I have ever done.

EDIT: That's my GF painting pictures of our cats.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

No no...your girlfriend is doing it wrong. You aren't supposed to use an airbrush to paint pictures of your pets.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How do you get a dog to stand still long enough

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's a Golden Retriever, it just stands there waiting for the next thought to occur.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Well, that's done. Can you spot the deliberate mistake?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

You forgot to add guns to it?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I've recently fallen in love with radio controlled scale boats. Anyone else into this? Some pics of my current project are below.

I'm building this, a 1950's era Chris-Craft Continental. It's a kit made mostly from wood, balsa and mahogany to be specific. The hull and deck will be fiberglassed before installing the running hardware.

Getting the frame put together.

Frame and balsa wood planking complete, and hull interior sealed with epoxy resin.

The mahogany planking process is very grueling, but I'm finally done. Now to begin planking the deck.

Forward deck planking about to begin.

About halfway done...

Once this is complete comes hours and hours of sanding, then the fun part of fiberglassing the hull and deck.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Unkempt posted:

Well, that's done. Can you spot the deliberate mistake

The Devastator has 2 props.
:goonsay:

That is really nice work Unkempt. What did you use as reference when building that thing?

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That boat is awesome, now scale it up to full size:yarr: