Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
What Phil said. You can just straight up buy a FRPP car.

The new SC packages make me exited for the future of the GT500. The modified GT is so capable Ford has got to do something spectacular to the 500, or just can it outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Skyssx posted:

What Phil said. You can just straight up buy a FRPP car.

The new SC packages make me exited for the future of the GT500. The modified GT is so capable Ford has got to do something spectacular to the 500, or just can it outright.

Honestly, the GT500 is already almost at the limit where throwing more more horsepower at it isn't going to do it anymore, for me anyways. 440 in the BOSS is crazy enough as is. You're hitting the limit of what you can do on the street stoplight to stoplight. An independent rear with 500+ horsepower minus the blower and you've got me really really interested. I'd like to see a successor to the Cobra-R more than just another really heavy blown Mustang.

Ford knows it's audience better than me though...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Skyssx posted:

The rumors of an EcoBoost v8 with twin turbos and direct injection are still swirling. I've heard numbers like 650hp thrown around.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Question for frozenphil or whoever: can the heads in a 16-valve 4.6L Mustang be swapped out for 24- or 32-valve heads?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Question for frozenphil or whoever: can the heads in a 16-valve 4.6L Mustang be swapped out for 24- or 32-valve heads?

like this one? http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10704

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

In a nutshell, yes.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
With the DOHC 32-valve heads, don't you have to worry about hood clearance issues? I'm especially wondering about the original Fox-4/SN95 (96-98).

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Q_res posted:

With the DOHC 32-valve heads, don't you have to worry about hood clearance issues? I'm especially wondering about the original Fox-4/SN95 (96-98).

You will not have to worry about hood clearance issues, the SN95 Cobra came with the 32v 4.6 and the Cobra intake manifold, so it should clear everything fine.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

Not so much hood clearance issues as strut tower clearance issues. The SN95s won't have a problem as they eventually received the mod motor in both 2v and 4v flavors. The Foxes seem to accept the DOHC engines fine as well, provided you have the correct motor mounts. Several aftermarket companies make motor mounts and k-members to make the DOHC swap a bolt in affair.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

frozenphil et al posted:

:thumbsup:

Cool stuff. Next question, how doable is such a head swap, mechanically speaking? Is there a lot of machining needed or do they just bolt up? Assume the Mustang is either a new edge or a pre-2010 5th gen.

Also, found this: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/
They seem to make a lot of stuff for Mustangs, anyone know if they're any good?

Taaaaaaarb! fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 25, 2010

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

frozenphil posted:

The SN95s won't have a problem as they eventually received the mod motor in both 2v and 4v flavors.

I know the Cobra in 99 had the 4v, I'd honestly forgotten the 98 Cobra came with it. And I remembered the Cobras having different hoods, so I thought there might be minor issues.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Skyssx posted:

you can get an actual race Mustang used in series like ALMS or RSCC.

Mustangs dont race in ALMS (and never have) or Grand am (which is what im assuming you mean by RSCC)

They race them in Continental tire challenge and World Challenge these days.

but you're right in that ford will sell the FR series mustangs to just about anyone with the money.

This guy showed up at my last track day at monticello and was rollin around in the green (novice) group :laugh:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Cool stuff. Next question, how doable is such a head swap, mechanically speaking? Is there a lot of machining needed or do they just bolt up? Assume the Mustang is either a new edge or a pre-2010 5th gen.

Also, found this: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/
They seem to make a lot of stuff for Mustangs, anyone know if they're any good?

Ultimately it is cheaper to buy a 4v engine out of a junkyard or whatever than it is to convert a 2v or 3v. It's not so much the heads as it is all of the little parts that make it so expensive to do. Everything bolts up (unless you have an early 4.6L DOHC block with knock sensors, but they just need to be ground down), but you'll end up paying more than you would for a used 4v.

Hellion makes good poo poo. John Urist is the owner and he knows a thing or two about turbos. He also happens to be the NMRA Super Street Outlaw champion for the last 4 years in a row (albeit with a Procharger supercharger). HPP Racing is another good turbo kit manufacturer if you're interested in going with snails.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

frozenphil posted:

Ultimately it is cheaper to buy a 4v engine out of a junkyard or whatever than it is to convert a 2v or 3v. It's not so much the heads as it is all of the little parts that make it so expensive to do. Everything bolts up (unless you have an early 4.6L DOHC block with knock sensors, but they just need to be ground down), but you'll end up paying more than you would for a used 4v.

Hellion makes good poo poo. John Urist is the owner and he knows a thing or two about turbos. He also happens to be the NMRA Super Street Outlaw champion for the last 4 years in a row (albeit with a Procharger supercharger). HPP Racing is another good turbo kit manufacturer if you're interested in going with snails.

Oh yes, very much into snails! I think I like the Hellion single-turbo kit. Anyway, last question about the head swaps and I'll bury it after this: what about 5.4L heads - same deal as the 4.6L heads?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

frozenphil is a genius at this stuff and he's probably right. If you're talking a SN-95 GT swapped to a Cobra motor then the only part that may not work is the upper intake manifold. The Cobra manifold was huge and I'm not entirely sure the bulge in a 96 Cobra hood was fully cosmetic. There may be rubbing issues but I'm not sure. You can image search an SN-95 Cobra and see that little bump. GT manifolds were tiny little squares that looked like a dust buster would be more effective up there.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

what about 5.4L heads - same deal as the 4.6L heads?

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing so. Being able to swap parts around was a big part of the design philosophy behind the modular engine. I mean, they called it a modular engine.

VibrioCholera posted:

The Cobra manifold was huge and I'm not entirely sure the bulge in a 96 Cobra hood was fully cosmetic. There may be rubbing issues but I'm not sure.

I'm not 100% either for the SN95s, but a cowl hood for one of them will run you a couple hundred tops if you look at Mustang classifieds on corral.net.

At any rate, the only real answer is to drop a '99-'04 Lightning engine into your Fox, cut a hole in the hood, and re-create the Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords project Frightning.

10 second ETs with the stock Lightning engine in a four eye chassis.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

I take it the implication is that if you managed to buy new 5.0 heads, you'd probably be better off money-wise getting a whole motor and swapping that in, instead of trying to make a hybrid?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I take it the implication is that if you managed to buy new 5.0 heads, you'd probably be better off money-wise getting a whole motor and swapping that in, instead of trying to make a hybrid?

Well, yeah, since the new heads won't work on the old block. :buddy:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

Well, yeah, since the new heads won't work on the old block. :buddy:

oh doi. I thought Tarb was asking if the NEW 32v heads could go on the modular block.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

oh doi. I thought Tarb was asking if the NEW 32v heads could go on the modular block.

Since he specified 4.6L 2v, 3v, and 4v heads I figured he wasn't talking about the new 5l 4v heads; could be wrong though.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
FAKE EDIT: ^that

kimbo305 posted:

4.6 and 5.4 heads, seeing how they both have the same bore diameter. Yeah, I'm thinking about buying a Mustang GT to teach my girlfriend to drive, then gently caress with the engine and suspension and bolt up a turbo - maybe a 6-speed.

I don't really have sensible or practical ideas when it comes to cars :(

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

buying a Mustang GT to teach my girlfriend to drive

This probably isn't as bad as my best friend teaching me to drive stick in an LS1-swapped 944, but not by much.

Professionals have likened the clutch in that car to "kicking a dead man."

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

ApathyGifted posted:

This probably isn't as bad as my best friend teaching me to drive stick in an LS1-swapped 944, but not by much.

Professionals have likened the clutch in that car to "kicking a dead man."

I assume you're talking about the Mustang, but which one?

Anyway, it's the whole "buy a car which she can [learn to] drive, but that I can also enjoy when I drive it" problem. She's expressed anxiety about driving my Skyline due to the whole right-hand drive thing, and I want to give her the chance I never had by teaching her how to drive in a manual, rear-wheel drive vehicle. The Mustang GT is just the current front-runner; I've changed my mind a few times throughout the course of the summer.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I assume you're talking about the Mustang, but which one?

Anyway, it's the whole "buy a car which she can [learn to] drive, but that I can also enjoy when I drive it" problem. She's expressed anxiety about driving my Skyline due to the whole right-hand drive thing, and I want to give her the chance I never had by teaching her how to drive in a manual, rear-wheel drive vehicle. The Mustang GT is just the current front-runner; I've changed my mind a few times throughout the course of the summer.

The dead man clutch was the 944 I learned in.

I had been driving for 13 years by the time I learned stick (only legally for 4, hooray for rural areas), but 300 hp for learning to drive stick was intimidating even to me, doubly so because it wasn't my car. Even knowing the mechanics of how a transmission works and knowing that I was doing nothing that could possibly gently caress it up, I was nervous as hell. Shifting into second was nearly as hard as getting the car rolling in the first place.

I would seriously suggest buying something more forgiving in the transmission department on the cheap, cheap enough that you don't need a loan anyway. Then trade it in for the Mustang/other fun car a few months later once she's comfortable with it. Choosing the right car will prevent you from biting it on the depreciation and you've got that trade-in value to deduct on top of any extra you save up on a down-payment.

My second time with a stick was for that same friend's newly acquired (by marriage) 1995 MX3. 88 horsepower and even less weight than the 944 with a heavier flywheel and I was an expert within the hour.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking about buying a Mustang GT to teach my girlfriend to drive, then gently caress with the engine and suspension and bolt up a turbo - maybe a 6-speed.

I don't really have sensible or practical ideas when it comes to cars :(

I have a recipe for you.

Stock dimension shortblock with forged internals.
MHS ported 2v heads
MHS turbo cams
Stock intake manifold
BBK 76mm plenum/throttle body
Single turbo kit with a Master Power T70 turbo with a .81 A/R housing
Fuel system
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust

Depending on the turbo kit, fuel system, and if you supply the labor or not, you can be in this for as little as $5k or as much as $12k. So, what do you get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U63rLty1ZNM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw0r2izePZc

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ApathyGifted posted:

That sounds fantastic. Stop complaining :colbert:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

ApathyGifted posted:

:words:

Definitely a lot to think about. I shall have to ponder...

frozenphil posted:

:circlefap:

On second thought :razz:

Thanks for all the awesome info, guys. Have a YouTube Doubler mashup:
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...t2=&authorName=

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Hypnolobster posted:

That sounds fantastic. Stop complaining :colbert:

It would be fantastic if the guy who did it for him had done more than a half-assed job and the car hadn't already been beat on by previous owners, which included a 17 year old girl (Which I admit would have been hot when she had it).

For instance, until I drove his MX-3 I thought clutches were supposed[i] to have two levels of tension in them instead of a smooth action. Pressing the clutch down for the first ~2 inches provided about the same resistance as your average throttle pedal, and then suddenly ramped up to trying to press down on a brick wall. But the friction point was 1-1.5 inches [i]after that point. Being new, I thought the sudden extra pressure meant the clutch plate had been pulled out of contact with the flywheel, so now I was the only thing pushing back on the springs. Because of this, even when told where the friction point was, my body just refused to believe that it was anywhere other than that spot. You can imagine what kind of havoc that played when you're trying to learn to shift smoothly.

That just covers the clutch itself. I could probably make a megapost about the problems this car has. Most just weren't noticeable until the LS1 got put in, thanks to the shifting weight and the doubled power.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

In near record time, skip shift in the 2011 Mustang can now be turned off via hand held tuner. No need to fool around with jumpers like our neanderthal LSx neighbors.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

frozenphil posted:

In near record time, skip shift in the 2011 Mustang can now be turned off via hand held tuner. No need to fool around with jumpers like our neanderthal LSx neighbors.

Haha, in my goat I like to play a little game where I try to keep the skip shift light on for as long as possible (it only comes on at a very specific window of RPM and speed). Current record is almost 30 seconds. :v: And for the record it can be disabled by a tuner too (although I dunno if any handheld tuners can do it).

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing so. Being able to swap parts around was a big part of the design philosophy behind the modular engine. I mean, they called it a modular engine.

I'm not 100% either for the SN95s, but a cowl hood for one of them will run you a couple hundred tops if you look at Mustang classifieds on corral.net.

At any rate, the only real answer is to drop a '99-'04 Lightning engine into your Fox, cut a hole in the hood, and re-create the Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords project Frightning.

10 second ETs with the stock Lightning engine in a four eye chassis.

It's also entirely acceptable to do the following with a Lightning engine as well:

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 26, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

It's also entirely acceptable to do the following with a Lightning engine as well:

We would have also accepted:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

First time posting in here. Well me and my dad finally got around to scrounging local swap meets/scrap yards and got our 1984 started. The things been in a garage for last 12 years.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

Nothing to special, just glad to see the thing out in the sun.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

That is one clean four eye. You need to post over at Four Eyed Pride if you don't already. Tell Skye I sent ya.

I swear to god if you put on aero nose on it I will think poorly of you.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Well its a 20th anniversary edition, so we're not gonna screw with it to much, dad had a motor built for it (he tossed the stock hood in prep for the new one), but he had to sell it to make rent, so it's just sat there since.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

poo poo, the 2011 Mustang v6 automatic makes the same power as my lightly modified 2003 GT automatic. :(
The blue graph is with just an off the shelf SCT hand held tune.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
22k gets you 260whp, a 6 speed, and rwd? gently caress.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

22k gets you 260whp, a 6 speed, and rwd? gently caress.

247whp with the automatic, stock. That 260whp is with a canned tune. The SCT tuners usually run under $400.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
Hey again, guys.

I heard the silliest thing the other day: that the engine bay of 5th gens are roomy enough to easily accommodate the girth of 427 (and larger) Ford big blocks. Any truth to this? I can't seem to find much beyond the Roush 427R and indecipherable, poorly-written message board posts on other forums :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

frozenphil posted:

247whp with the automatic, stock. That 260whp is with a canned tune. The SCT tuners usually run under $400.

That's a far cry from the quoted 305hp. How the hell do they get away with that?