Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Holy cow. How long will it take to feel like you've "paid it off?"

As someone else said, it's peace of mind. Though when you look at legal fees, ticket costs, insurance increases, etc it could pay itself off rather quickly. I'm definitely used to driving the autobahn at speeds that would get me arrested here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I guess, but if you're counting patrol cars, you can only tally up the stationary ones as potentials for a lidar tag. I've only had my V1 light up with laser once in the last year, and most roadside traps flash Ka, so I guess I'm just lucky here.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Dropped the engine oil and filter and did a change... 11.4L of diesel oil!

Later the dual battery controller goes in, new stereo, Air compressor and phone kit will go in!

Time to pull apart the dash on a $50K vehicle

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I'm doing the oil and filter right now.... to check to see if I need a new head gasket a few days before my big off road trip :v: Oil that's still black but slightly snotty, but no white smoke... a mystery to solve.

/edit

Meh, False alarm, condensation on the dip stick tube, but nothing in the oil or coolant when I flushed it. Ah well I was due for a service.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 25, 2010

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Started pulling out the roof lining in my Golf, since I can't really fit very well in there with a helmet on. Next step (as soon as the weather allows it) will be to remove the sunroof assembly (which is very big and very heavy) and that should give me plenty of headroom.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for something to replace it with? I was thinking a piece of plexiglass/perspex type stuff, just sealed into the hole. Is there a better way?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I was thinking a piece of plexiglass/perspex type stuff, just sealed into the hole. Is there a better way?

I've seen a 240SX with that done. I think it was just bolted and sealed into the roof. Worked really good apparently.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I tried that once, thought it was sealed, and it went flying off on the interstate. Scared the poo poo out of me.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Plexiglas molded into a giant bubble sticking up from the roof

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This, this is what you should do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Today, had a shop install a low end Alpine head unit Alpine CDE-102 so I could get an aux input, in place of the stock double DIN am/fm/cd. Plus a single din kit and Metra harness. Normally I'd do this myself, but I have no clue how the dash comes apart on this car. Installer told me a ton of plastic around the original stereo was busted and thought an aftermarket one had been stolen before, I agree because of damage to the bezel - but thankfully all of the original wiring and harnesses were intact.

Removed what little was left of the factory antenna. It had been snapped off at the base and someone had tried to drill the remainder out, completely trashing it. Amazingly, 1 nut on top, 1 screw behind a panel in the trunk, 1 wire, and the whole assembly is out.

Got in a heated argument with the guy at Kwik Kar over an oil change, complete with him saying I have "no loving idea how to work on a car" after I told him I've been working on them since he was in diapers. I refuse to change my own oil these days, most other stuff I do myself. Refused over $500 worth of upsales, he wound up opening my hood as high as it would go, slamming it, which cracked the grill and warped the hood, then peeled out pulling out of the shop and locked up the brakes in the parking lot. I demanded a manager, manager wouldn't talk to me, so I've talked to the district manager who's supposed to meet with me tomorrow. Also filed a BBB complaint even though I know that's next to useless.

Picking up a brand new OEM Nissan antenna assembly for the car tomorrow. Also going to go junkyard hunting for a new bezel and center console, along with a new switch for the windows. Drivers side window rolls down fine, but won't roll up unless you beat the living poo poo out of the door. Can't even get a click out of the relay when you hit the button to roll it up. Switch is easiest, I'll dig further if that doesn't work.

Oh yeah, guy I bought it from frantically called me today and told me it was never supposed to leave the lot with plates, I had to go back and get temporary paper tags.

Fixed my license plate lights and the trunk light. All just burnt out. A couple of lights in the climate control are out, I plan to fix those. I'm probably going to just go ahead and replace all exterior bulbs so that I don't get a surprise ticket.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 26, 2010

StarryStarrySkies
Aug 8, 2008

dropped my first transmission :)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ordered a Cefiro specific gauge pod from meercat.com.au which finally arrived today after 2 weeks stuck in the post. Stuck my one gauge in there, still waiting for a Defi link oil temperature gauge to arrive from Japan

Looks a lot better than the lovely universal A-pillar gauge stuck on with Velcro that I had previously.

Impressed with the design, it's so well fitting you can just push it along the dash and there's a little cut-out space in the top right for the a-pillar and then it wedges neatly into place. Also the fact that it doesn't block that demister is always a bonus.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Water Pump, timing belt and tensioner assembly on my 300m.

God, Im happy its a longitudinal mounted FWD car sometimes...

I got the job done in a few hours, but then had to tear it all apart again as the water pump leaked...the drat gasket shifted when was mounting it.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

This, this is what you should do.

That was actually the first thing I considered. :cool:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Washed the car I am selling and put it in a high traffic area.

Some guy came up to me as I was drying it off. Talked to me for a while and seemed mostly normal. Then he said that if he bought it, he would turbo and nitrous it. Also, he would slap a double pumper on it. I thought I misheard him and asked if he meant a carb, and he said yeah "it works better for fuelling and doesn't burn the engine out as fast". I said something along the lines of fuel injection being easy to work with and that there are turbo kits available. "Naw, I'm a racer, I know these things :smug:"

It's a Mk3 Jetta with the 2.0...:wtc:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Well it took 4 hours and my fingers are cut to poo poo, but I got some work done today. Replaced the driver's side power mirror since mine was shattered. Was a bitch to get the clip off for some reason. Replace the hatch arms as well. Took my time gets my fingers in the narrow rear end spot to unscrew everything only to realize with the replacement I had to cut off a bunch of plastic trim anyways. Will file it down smooth some other time.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Before :

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

After :

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Just mocked up for now, hopefully my custom brake lines come in next week :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Replaced the radiator in the Bronco today. Went surprisingly well, even though I got the wrong radiator the first time. Took about 90 minutes total, and I only wanted to shoot myself once - when the transmission line fitting wouldn't pop into the fitting on the radiator tank. A little "persuasion" in the form of a light tap with the mallet popped it right in after about 5 minutes of cursing. Thank god for humongous engine bays.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the rear brake pads and shoes in my sister-in-law's Bonneville SSEi today. I did the fronts a couple of weeks ago.

I opened her hood to get to the brake fluid reservoir and noticed the supercharger is without a belt. In fact, the belt was missing.

Found the belt under everything, completely slipped off, and then I saw why: the idler had siezed and thrown the belt. Here is the remainder of the pulley:

So tomorrow I'll probably be replacing both belts plus that idler. Assuming NAPA or Autozone has the parts in stock.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Replaced passenger headlight motor - headlight now retracts! Also swapped out the power antenna since the old one was physically broken, but it wasn't plugged into a power cable - there is no power cable that I can find, just the antenna cable. Have to look deeper into this one.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
I just pulled all the interior out of my car so I could put in the new rug that arrived yesterday. I think I might make a post to see if there is anything I should also do maintenance wise, while I have the interior out. It's a 99 civic DX hatch if anyone wants to chime in.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Mighty Horse posted:

Water Pump, timing belt and tensioner assembly on my 300m.

God, Im happy its a longitudinal mounted FWD car sometimes...

I got the job done in a few hours, but then had to tear it all apart again as the water pump leaked...the drat gasket shifted when was mounting it.
I installed a timing belt on a very similar 3.2L Intepid. After you remove the upper radiator support and the fans there is tons of room and it is a piece of cake. Did you use the special low profile puller to remove the crank pulley or did you pull the radiator out?

I seriously think replacing the thermostat in that car was harder than replacing the timing belt and water pump.

I replaced some bulbs in the back of the Toyota Avalon I bought to sell. The AC that I fixed the other day is still blowing ultra cold. I replaced:

Junkyard parts:
Accumulator to condenser pipe
Accumulator to evaporator pipe
condenser

New part:
Accumulator
some o-rings

Replace parts, apply vacuum pump, apply compressor oil & refrigerant, cold AC.

Every time (4 different AC systems) I have opened an AC system and replaced the accumulator the result has been freezing cold AC.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
De-riced my rear bumper.

Before:

After:

I just got back from Wal Mart. I got a gallon of simple green, more sand paper, and some stainless steel polish for the cans. I literally ripped the bumper cover off, tearing it in pieces in the process.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I put a brake master cylinder brace on and did a little bit of fiddling with my bumper to try and straighten it out. No luck, but I did find a few bolts that either fell out or weren't replaced properly by the body shop.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Paul Boz_ posted:

De-riced my rear bumper.

Before:

After:

I just got back from Wal Mart. I got a gallon of simple green, more sand paper, and some stainless steel polish for the cans. I literally ripped the bumper cover off, tearing it in pieces in the process.

hahah i thought the guy said the bumper was just "stuck on top of the other one" like it was clipped or bolted on there. Why the gently caress would someone just glue the bumper on top of the other one!?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thought about telling the guy at the inspection station to gently caress off when he insisted that I needed the little flap in the middle of the unleaded fuel nozzle restrictor in the fill neck in order to pass PA emissions, despite the only listed requirement I can find for the restrictor is that it has to be too small (less than 0.92" diameter) to fit a leaded fuel nozzle.

I'll probably just end up rubber cementing a brass knockout to the back of the restrictor, getting my free retest, and then knocking it out and going back to using the garage I used to use, even though it's further away. :argh:

Who the hell even sells leaded fuel anymore?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Omegaslast posted:

hahah i thought the guy said the bumper was just "stuck on top of the other one" like it was clipped or bolted on there. Why the gently caress would someone just glue the bumper on top of the other one!?

Why would someone splice gauges into the driver's side electric seat harness?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Every car manual I've seen mentions protecting against accidental Diesel filling rather than leaded fuel, which isn't legal as a street fuel in the US anymore.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Swapped out the 6x9 speakers in the rear deck of my girlfriend's corolla because one of them had a problem and was rattling during bass sounds. It looks like the seal around the speaker might have come loose. The speakers suck anyway, so even the cheap Sony speakers I threw in sound better.

I also put in a K&N Typhoon intake in my RDX a few days ago. I much enjoy the whoosh and the louder bypass valve sound. It kind of sounds like darth vader now.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

ssh posted:

I see spots and swirls. :colbert:

I am so glad I don't own a black car anymore. :mmmhmm:

Black isn't a color. It's a part time job.

I have mine pretty drat near perfect but it lasts about 24 hours if it just sits in the garage. You can't even brush against it without swirling. The only way to clean a black car properly is to spray it down and quick detail and that's still a drat wash.

Top it off with some dusty brakes and you have a 45 minute car wash on your drat hands everytime. :(

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma
It decided to rain like hell, so I topped off the washing fluids, and replaced aging wipers.

Finally had a chance to warm up and test an alt. I was concerned had a bad rectifier since I had a battery die w/o provocation, but got same voltage w/ idle+revs with and without load. Looks like it was just a pissy battery.

Wiped some brake dust off of the stock alloys. It's wet outside so I'm getting a phantom 'break light failure' indicator; may finally tear into the trunk and check for a short, but this is a well-known false positive.

Woop-de-doo.

VibrioCholera posted:

I have mine pretty drat near perfect but it lasts about 24 hours if it just sits in the garage. You can't even brush against it without swirling.

Could be worse. Friend of mine just got a black car - but he's so OCD about waxing that he goes over the surface with a black light. Last I heard he was training himself to wet sand. I haven't heard from him in weeks.

SaabFanatic fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 29, 2010

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Got my car flatbedded back to me from the shop. Turns out the stumbling issue was caused by - of all things - the AC control unit. Crazy British cars.

Bonus picture of a Lotus in it's natural habitat:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the remainder of that idler pulley (which was tightened down to a million foot-pounds) and the supercharger belt on my sister-in-law's SSEi. I wanted to replace the main serp belt (and took it off even) but O'reilly's gave my sister-in-law the wrong belt so I had to reuse the one that was on there. It looked OK though, no cracking or anything, but it'll need to be replaced far sooner than the new supercharger belt so meh.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

PBCrunch posted:

I installed a timing belt on a very similar 3.2L Intepid. After you remove the upper radiator support and the fans there is tons of room and it is a piece of cake. Did you use the special low profile puller to remove the crank pulley or did you pull the radiator out?

I actually left thc crank pulley on, you can snake the belt around the back of the pulley, then push belt into place through the holes in it. Its only a bitch to get the little piece of cover in place with the pulley stil on, but its possible.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Wired up my head unit and put it in my car. The trim wouldn't fit around the deck so I had to file it down. Pain in the rear end. The stock head unit wasn't grounded, which is why I assume the fuse was blown.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Took it over 1000km.

Had my free 1000km "Service" this morning... 2 hours of me sitting in the dealership's waiting room while they did what amounted to nothing more than a wash and vacuum.

I suppose 2 hours of waiting for a wash and stamp in the service book isn't too bad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

thelightguy posted:

Thought about telling the guy at the inspection station to gently caress off when he insisted that I needed the little flap in the middle of the unleaded fuel nozzle restrictor in the fill neck in order to pass PA emissions, despite the only listed requirement I can find for the restrictor is that it has to be too small (less than 0.92" diameter) to fit a leaded fuel nozzle.

Both my last car (2001 Accord) and current car (1999 Altima) are missing that little thing. I never had a problem getting the Accord inspected, and the Altima's inspection is good until November. Inspectors never said a thing about it, but you'd better make drat sure your gas cap seals tight, they actually test that here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh poo poo wires and stuff.

Amp nice and snug as a bug in a rug :)

Old school Alpine EQ era 1994 :hellyeah:

Got everything hooked up and found out the speakers are garbage :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CornHolio posted:

I opened her hood to get to the brake fluid reservoir and noticed the supercharger is without a belt. In fact, the belt was missing.

Found the belt under everything, completely slipped off, and then I saw why: the idler had siezed and thrown the belt. Here is the remainder of the pulley:

Did she say if the car seemed to be lacking power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

leica posted:

Old school Alpine EQ era 1994 :hellyeah:

Oh god, I love the EQ. The memories that brings back...