Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
SAWS ALL!

I love having a Sawzall, but I hate using it. If the Sawzall is out it means something did not go the way it was supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

PBCrunch posted:

If the Sawzall is out it means something did not go the way it was supposed to.

Or that you knew how it was about to go, and gently caress that. I love finding poo poo in the junkyard where a random-shaped fifth of the car is just missing with a relatively clean edge.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a bunch of trees on my property, and live in a city that calls itself "Tree City USA", so I can't cut any of them down (at least not the oak trees). This means that most of the year I end up with a crazy amount of dust and pollen on my car, even when it's parked inside a closed garage. If I wash my car and then immediately park it in the garage, I'll have a decent layer of dust on it by the next day, let alone a couple days later.

As spergy as it sounds, I've been thinking about putting some sort of dust / HEPA filter in the garage, and putting it on a timer to run a couple times a day. Has anyone tried this, or done anything similar to this? I'm open to any suggestions. A lot of the $100 dust collectors from HF look like they're just meant for attaching to hoses and picking up sawdust from woodworking, so I'm not sure what the best way of cleaning the air for a 2 car garage is (or if I should just give up on the idea).

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm not sure what the best way of cleaning the air for a 2 car garage is (or if I should just give up on the idea).

I've see filters made for cleaning air in workshops before but I can't find any using google at the moment. You could always try a few furnace filters taped to a box fan, might be enough and it's cheap.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
What about a car cover and or tarp?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
You could always "accidentally" spill some soil sterilizer all over the roots of the trees.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
You don't want an air filter for industrial use, they're for big ventilation systems or for capturing poo poo from a work area; you want a home one from someplace like Target. We got one that would certainly handle a 2-car garage for about $150. HEPA etc. I'll see about digging up a link. It'll work better if it's always on, luckily it makes about as much noise as a small computer case fan.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Does anyone have any opinions on this
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-drawer-roller-cabinet-67421.html

My most recent Motor Trend issue has a coupon for that cabinet for $139.99. Seems like a great deal for a large cabinet. I wonder if I can scheme my way into using the 20% off coupon on that as well.

the_reject
May 30, 2002

Blackdawgg posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on this
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-drawer-roller-cabinet-67421.html
Tool boxes are a racket, especially anything from the big 3. If you see this one in person, and it will hold all your tools, and you can't fold the drawers up with your bare hands, it's probably okay. If you're using it professionally, you'll probably end up hating it (but we end up hating the toolboxes we spent shitloads more money for, too, so we can't be trusted). If it stays in your garage at home, and it meets the above requirements, you'll get many useful years out of it before you want something else. Lubricate the slide mechanisms once or twice a year, and enjoy it.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
The black toolbox sucks as far as tool boxes go. The red US General one is much better in therms of the smoothness of the slides and build quality. That said, if it were a choice between the two for my garage, I'd probably get the black one because honestly who gives a poo poo if the slides go smoothly? Just don't overload the larger containers with heavy tools.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

Apologies if its been covered already, but how is this 12 ton press? I need it to remove and install front wheel bearings into the knuckle of a '02 Celica. The shop wants $240 for the whole job and parts so I figure I can just do it myself and have a press to show for it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mike_P posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

Apologies if its been covered already, but how is this 12 ton press? I need it to remove and install front wheel bearings into the knuckle of a '02 Celica. The shop wants $240 for the whole job and parts so I figure I can just do it myself and have a press to show for it.

I have one that I've been using for a little over a year and I love it! I would recommend getting a couple more press plates or adapters if available.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Alternatively, you can probably find a machine shop to do just the pressing for not very much money so you can do the rest of the work yourself.

My corner auto parts chain even offers rotor turning and bearing pressing, but in reality they just send stuff out to a local machine shop for a small handling fee. It's usually cheap enough that it'd take quite a few times to recoup the cost of a press, and personally, I wouldn't give up that much floorspace to a limited-use tool.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

eddiewalker posted:

Alternatively, you can probably find a machine shop to do just the pressing for not very much money so you can do the rest of the work yourself.

My corner auto parts chain even offers rotor turning and bearing pressing, but in reality they just send stuff out to a local machine shop for a small handling fee. It's usually cheap enough that it'd take quite a few times to recoup the cost of a press, and personally, I wouldn't give up that much floorspace to a limited-use tool.

Very true. When I had my old 300ZX I had some serious wheel bearing issues in the front. I pulled the steering knuckle out and ran down to a NAPA with a machine shop. After giving the guy the new race and bearings and I think a crisp $20 bill I had everything installed and ready to go.

Sometimes there are jobs out there that are worth letting other people do, especially rare ones. Get the tool if you think you're going to have more uses for it, but there's no shame in having some old timer who has done it a thousand times do it for you.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Can anyone comment on Harbor Freight's 3 ton aluminum jack stands? I was looking at a set and like their light weight (I can't do work on my car at my place so I have to haul the jack and stands to a garage all the time) but are they a death trap?

These are the stands: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-jack-stands-91760.html

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

mod sassinator posted:

Can anyone comment on Harbor Freight's 3 ton aluminum jack stands? I was looking at a set and like their light weight (I can't do work on my car at my place so I have to haul the jack and stands to a garage all the time) but are they a death trap?

These are the stands: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-jack-stands-91760.html

I'm sure they would hold their rated capacity but is it really that big of a deal to have jack stands that weigh 10 pounds each versus 5 pounds each? You'll lift them what, twice per job?

SideShift
Aug 7, 2010
I finally got a Power Probe 3 after using a Fluke DVM and test light for years. It makes it so easy to troubleshoot electric problems, it feels like cheating.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I use the orange iron ones, they haven't killed me yet so I don't have a problem with them. I can carry four at a time, and living in an apartment they haven't given me a problem yet.

Whichever ones you get, get the red pads too and keep your frame rails happy.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Picked up a bunch of tools lately, decided to give a bunch of harbor freight tools a go.

The balljoint fork was handy and held up on a front suspension and steering rebuild on my truck today.

The pitman/idler puller was a complete piece of poo poo. I was taking the arm off the steering box, put a ton of force on it and the thing just cracked and broke off. :argh:

Oh well what did I expect for $8. Cheap cheap metal. I'm now highly dubious of any puller there.

Fortunately I had a new pitman and idler arm as well as a new steering gear to install so it wasn't critical to remove the old pitman arm.

The harbor freight moving pads for $4 were great. I picked up a few, great for the trail if you have to do a repair, more comfy than a tarp.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Instead of the pickle fork try the ball joint separator tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html

It has worked pretty well the few times I have used it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

The pickle fork was awesome for something else. I was torquing down the idler arm to 80 ft/lbs and my hand slipped on the wrench holding the lock nut and got it wedged in pretty good vs the motor mount and the cross member, hitting it wouldn't knock it loose, and I didn't feel like unbolting it so I jammed the fork between the wrench and the frame and gave it a tap with a 5 lb hammer and the wrench popped out. :3:

That being said I'm avoiding all cast metal pullers from Harbor Freight. The fork stands up to abuse pretty well though.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Whichever ones you get, get the red pads too and keep your frame rails happy.
Do this. I didn't, and the frame rails on my Outback are completely folded flat against the bottom of the rocker panels.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

SideShift posted:

I finally got a Power Probe 3 after using a Fluke DVM and test light for years. It makes it so easy to troubleshoot electric problems, it feels like cheating.

I have the Power Probe 2 and was a professional car audio installer and it was definitely one of my best purchases. The only thing I bought that was more useful was my Snap-On screw gun. The LCD voltage display seems pretty useful on the PP3 but with the PP2 I could tell when voltage was under 12 volts because the buzzer sounded a little different.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005
Has anyone here had experience with Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric Generator Sets? I'm looking for around a 3000/3500 watt machine to run electrical tools around the shop. It would also run a 10500 BTU a/c, refrigerator and a 110V power ring in a small RV.

I looked at some of the usual suspects (Honda, Onan, Kohler, Toro, etc) but Christ, I'm glad I was sitting down when I checked prices! The reviews on HF's pages run the gamut from, "junk, junk, junk" to "GREATEST THING SINCE KANNED BEER" (paraphrasing slightly but still in all caps). Has anyone here had long-term (say several months to a couple of years) experience with these? Yes, they're made in China but are they fit for task?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

geegee posted:

Yes, they're made in China but are they fit for task?

Ha, what isn't? :razz: I mean, they might be good or terrible but it's not going to be the country of origin's fault, mostly.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Ha, what isn't? :razz: I mean, they might be good or terrible but it's not going to be the country of origin's fault, mostly.

Q/C is going to be the main thing with chinese goods, something like a big US or Asian firm with full time Q/C staff looking at production and suppliers, you'll end up with a good product from there.

The no name chinese stuff I'd avoid, it would depend if it's a one or two time use "throw away" tool or something I need to put a lot of stress on and use it often.

I shop around a bit, and sometimes I find it doesn't cost *THAT* much more to get a US or German made/etc tool than a HF Freight tool.

Eg. I got US made pry bars for $29, when a similar HF one was $19. Chinese made craftsman flare nut wrenches for $40, when I got a US forged blackhawk set for $5 more, etc.

Honda makes great generators, you can get replacement parts for them, and you can get a few really quiet models. IMO, if the generator is relatively quiet and you can service it, it shouldn't really matter where it's made.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UK goons: B&Q have got a bank holiday special on this weekend with pressure washers for £20. They're a bit basic, obviously, but do the job.

They also have a garden electrics set of mover, strimmer and hedge trimmer for £25 if you're in dire need of them.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

geegee posted:

Has anyone here had experience with Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric Generator Sets?
If it's electrical, and cheap, a ham radio operator has bought and abused it to death. This thread on eHam is about smaller cheap generators, but should still have some good info for you.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Geared Hub posted:

Q/C is going to be the main thing with chinese goods, something like a big US or Asian firm with full time Q/C staff looking at production and suppliers, you'll end up with a good product from there.

The no name chinese stuff I'd avoid, it would depend if it's a one or two time use "throw away" tool or something I need to put a lot of stress on and use it often.

Stihl recently moved production of its HS45 hedge trimmers and several carburetors to China. These things suck balls. Don't buy a Stihl with a SN starting in 8 ever. We've gotten several new HS45s this summer that start having carburetion issues a week in, so we replace the carb. And then the new carb does the exact same thing. A few customers have returned the trimmer for credit towards a pro model. If Stihl can't keep their Chinese QC levels up to snuff, no company in the world can.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Geared Hub posted:

Honda makes great generators, you can get replacement parts for them, and you can get a few really quiet models. IMO, if the generator is relatively quiet and you can service it, it shouldn't really matter where it's made.

While I agree, and we own 4 Honda Gensets (all eU Series inverters, AKA the quiet ones), there's a major issue with them: No one can diagnose electrical issues. If anything goes wrong in the electrical side (i.e. not the engine/carb), NO ONE can test them. I've called a dozen dealers in the Boston/CT/RI area, and not a one will touch one if the problem is in the generator or circuit boards. We've got an eU1000i that runs, but the voltage dies when you load it up, and an eU2000i that runs fine under load, but constantly revs up and down when its not under load. Both have issues with something on board, but the only option any one can give me is "Buy a new one". Ditto with the Kipor/Yamaha/whatever inverter gensets. Its a shame, but they are pretty much a $1000 throw-away. I've managed to fix them before (bad coil, bad on/off switch, carb issues, etc), but I've now got $1700 in generators that don't work.

I'd get a full-size Honda, however. They are very repairable, just much much heavier, and louder. The HF gensets are pretty crappy, but would probably work for a while. I've always wanted to pick up one of the 800w 2-stroke ones for $89.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

nmfree posted:

If it's electrical, and cheap, a ham radio operator has bought and abused it to death. This thread on eHam is about smaller cheap generators, but should still have some good info for you.

The comments on that article are golden.

Good reasons to avoid buying Harbor Freight stuff: It's crappy and probably made by slaves.

Bad reasons to avoid buying Harbor Freight stuff: "1. I do not wish to support the only government in the world that actively targets US cities with ICBM launched nuclear weapons"

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I bought a snap ring pliers from Harbor Freight. It got the job done but broke in the process. It was maybe the worst tool I have ever used.

DO NOT BUY

http://www.harborfreight.com/snap-ring-pliers-with-interchangeable-heads-3316.html

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I have a set of those snap ring pliers although they are "PIT BULL" brand, but I am sure they are made by the same manufacturer. They are absolute poo poo. The pot metal they are made out of easily bends out of shape and distorts when you apply pressure to the snap ring.

Sadly they still work the once a year I need them, but I'll be happy to replace them when they break.

mrglynis
Mar 10, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

I bought a snap ring pliers from Harbor Freight. It got the job done but broke in the process. It was maybe the worst tool I have ever used.

DO NOT BUY

http://www.harborfreight.com/snap-ring-pliers-with-interchangeable-heads-3316.html

drat I knew I should have posted about those. Same thing happened to me. I broke the tip off one of the heads. I eventually got the snap ring off . gently caress me it was frustrating. Trying to change heads was such a pain in the rear end. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it, and it was a couple of months ago. I did end up returning them and getting a refund. Only like $4 but there was no way I was gonna use them again.

I ended up picking up a pair of S-K brand 90 deg metal pliars. Got em from a local tool place. They have an ongoing retirement sale. They're up to 70% off everything. So the pliers were only like $11.

I was in Sears recently and noticed their snap ring pliers were only like $10-12 I think? Couldnt possibly be any worse.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

sharkytm posted:

I'd get a full-size Honda, however. They are very repairable, just much much heavier, and louder. The HF gensets are pretty crappy, but would probably work for a while. I've always wanted to pick up one of the 800w 2-stroke ones for $89.

Just purchased the HF 800w 2 stroke for 79 bucks with a coupon. Not a bad rig, the voltage seems to bounce between 120-125 with a moderate load. About as loud as a push mower, but for the most part, great portable power. It powers a circular saw, my small compressor and work lights no problem so its great for field duty.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

geegee posted:

Has anyone here had experience with Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric Generator Sets? I'm looking for around a 3000/3500 watt machine to run electrical tools around the shop. It would also run a 10500 BTU a/c, refrigerator and a 110V power ring in a small RV.

I looked at some of the usual suspects (Honda, Onan, Kohler, Toro, etc) but Christ, I'm glad I was sitting down when I checked prices! The reviews on HF's pages run the gamut from, "junk, junk, junk" to "GREATEST THING SINCE KANNED BEER" (paraphrasing slightly but still in all caps). Has anyone here had long-term (say several months to a couple of years) experience with these? Yes, they're made in China but are they fit for task?
I picked up a 3550W Briggs & Stratton-based Troy Bilt at Lowes a couple years ago and have been really happy with it as an emergency generator for my house. I think I paid about $400 for it 5 years ago, but can't exactly recall. It would run 3 refrigerators and every light and computer in the house. It we were careful, we could run a coffee pot, microwave or burner on the stove, but only one at a time. Voltage regulation was dependant on load. I never saw it drop below 110V or rise about 125V, but the APC SmartUPS on my computer hated it and would bitch incessantly about it. When I run the stove, we could watch the on/off thermal regulation as the lights dimmed as it kicks on (and multimeter dropped to 110V) then brighten as it turns off and the gen spun back to up 125V.

I don't think you'd have a problem running your shop with a generator this size, but you might find you have to shut off the AC before using a tool. And you may find issues with some of your more powerful tools- they can draw a LOT of current when starting, and the generator may not be able to handle the in-rush.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Troy Bilt doesn't actually make generators, or pressure washers. They're made by B&S Power Products (formerly Generac) under license to MTD.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

geegee posted:

Shop around for a Honda EP4100. That's the only generator in the 3-4Kw range that won't leave you deaf after a couple of hours work.
You can't beat 9Hp @ 71-72 dB

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 29, 2010

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

jailbait#3 posted:

The comments on that article are golden.

Good reasons to avoid buying Harbor Freight stuff: It's crappy and probably made by slaves.

Bad reasons to avoid buying Harbor Freight stuff: "1. I do not wish to support the only government in the world that actively targets US cities with ICBM launched nuclear weapons"

Wait... they aren't using 'ChiCom' as a sarcastic term? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geegee
Aug 6, 2005
Thanks to all of you for the info on small gensets. The ham link had some real data to go along with the tinfoil, survivalist stuff. Incidentally, my comment on the quality of Chinese electrical generating equipment was not a knee-jerk throwaway. These creeps (Chinese licensees) cost the organization I used to work for hundreds of thousands if not millions of USD in defective or useless inventory: Not a trivial matter especially when you're talking about essential life support equipment.

Thanks again, I have some real alternatives now. Keep 'em coming.