Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Did she say if the car seemed to be lacking power?

Actually, no. She said she heard some 'funny noises' at some point during the week but didn't notice a lack of power. She only drives in the city, though, and rarely drives quickly enough where she would notice.

She's never changed the oil in the supercharger to my knowledge so for all I know it's barely pressurizing anyway. :(

edit for better photos:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Oh god, I love the EQ. The memories that brings back...

Yeah I love it too, but I starting to wonder if it's the reason my speakers sound like poo poo.....Gonna have to disconnect it to rule it out, crossing my fingers I won't have to trash it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Getting ready for a multi-day desert off road trip, so I did the Major service on the hummer.

Did a bunch of stuff, coolant flush [lost a bleeder screw, :doh: but found it resting on a fuel rail later :haw:], and a oil change.

Then I picked up an surplus HMMWV undercarriage protection kit for $100 and installed it since my old one was all warped and banged up.

The Military kit was very through, the documentation included frame/crossmember blueprints and measurements for the M998A2, including plans to drill the crossmembers in case you had a really old humvee that didn't have the collars or holes for installation. Came with all CAD-plated bolts and locknuts all sorted into baggies.

Also serviced each axle, greased all the propshafts, ball joints, radius and tie rods. Found a ball joint with a torn boot and replaced that. Drained all the hubs and refilled with lucas synthetic gear oil.

I'm thinking of getting an extra geared hub since they're universal on all wheels, the only difference being the spindle cover which bolts on and provides a mounting point for the radius/tie rods. With a spare hub so I can hot swap them for seal service without any downtime.

I swapped the IAT, the truck was running a bit rougher than normal, and threw a IAT temperature error. Tech 2 showed it coming in at -30 [failure/no signal].

There was a few drops of oil on the old sensor, I pulled the intake and the turbo seal is seeping a bit, I'll have to redo the intake/turbo seals in a few months, I was planning to do this and install a boost/egt guage while I'm at it, so I'll do all that in one shot.

Next up was the t-case. The H1 and newer HMMWV transfer cases uses the NV242, the same as on a few jeep models. Since the two vehicle are different weight classes, the NV242 on the AM General application is a mutant version, beefed up to handle monster torque, and a gvw of 12-14k lbs. They beefed up the shafts, the planetary gears, thicker chain, etc. Otherwise it's the same design, just a tad bigger, it's usually labeled NV242-HD-HMR

Theres one unique issue to the design, it runs very, very hot. Which requires active cooling. The engineers decided to use ATF from the 4L80/4L80E as a cooling medium and pump it through a finned cooling loop on the 242.

On top of that, these trucks have a milspec drivetrain venting system, where all the ventlines are linked together.

Which... introduces an interesting failure point.

The cooling loop is soldered together [:doh:] and has very, very specific torque requirements during assembly. Something like 162 inch lbs, otherwise, the assembly can be tweaked or crushed, allowing a crack and leak.

You can see it pictured above surrounding the front output shaft. This one pictured is the "fixed" version with small metal shim holding the 2 boxed valve sections in parallel as the nuts are torqued. One of the lines is marked blue externally, so a tech can pull off the hose on the case and check in a matter of a minute if the t-case was "fixed" or if it's the old lovely design.

Anyways, the reason why I measure the overflow and what comes out of the t-case, is if there's a crack, the t-case will suck all of the ATF out of the transmission.

And pump it through the vent system. Into the geared hubs, into the diffs, into the air filter.

:ughh:

So if you don't check things out on a semi regular basis, you'll be sitting on the side of the road wondering why your transmission is burnt up, and hey.. why is there ATF dripping from my air filter?

What a messy failure point.

On my service, there was only 2-4 oz of overflow with 2.5 quarts coming out, any more than that would have indicated a leak or blocked vent line. I refilled with Dexron VI synthetic and buttoned it back up.

The failure point is easily bypassed with a bunch of atf hose, you can loop off the cooler lines, and isolate the t-case. Some owners have decided to move the transfercase cooler into a separate circuit with it's own radiator and pump, which I might do if I'm really really bored one weekend.

Oh, if anyone wants Dexron VI synthetic for cheap, I bumped into an SKU fuckup at pepboys. It was ringing up as 3.79 or 3.99 instead of 6.99. I pointed this out to the cashier and the manager twice and they rung it up on the scanner and were like, nope, thats the correct price.

So I got a few cases.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 30, 2010

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
Installed Racing beat springs and sway bars in the R3. Very noticeable difference in handling. Cornering is nice and flat.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Geared Hub posted:

So I got a few cases.

Is that tool what I think it is? Where can I buy one? And more importantly why haven't I bought one already?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Sponge! posted:

Is that tool what I think it is? Where can I buy one? And more importantly why haven't I bought one already?

Is it for pumping fluid right out of the bottles? That would be awesome.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I'm hoping thats what it is. And I'm hoping they make a hardened version that can pump gear oil too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think I got one at my local Meijer for under $5. Worked fine for gear oil, too.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Harbor Freight sells a few different ones. They were a requirement for me when changing tranny and diff fluid on my Miata.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Yeah, I got 2 sizes of them, they run like 8 bucks at pepboys. The technical term is a outboard motor oil pump so it'll be in the marine section of the store with the chassis grease.

They have one for the gallon jugs as well. I use it for diff oil and transfer case stuff.

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma
Yesterday, but:

Hey the trunk light's back now. :downs:

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

leica posted:

Yeah I love it too, but I starting to wonder if it's the reason my speakers sound like poo poo.....Gonna have to disconnect it to rule it out, crossing my fingers I won't have to trash it.
Ok, but if you have to disconnect it you should definitely leave it in place just for looks.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Shifted the poo poo out of my shifter.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Took it to it's first (of many) autocrosses... needs heavy suspension work. Shocks are for women :smuggo:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

King-Kong posted:

Took it to it's first (of many) autocrosses... needs heavy suspension work. Shocks are for women :smuggo:

If you think you have body roll, you need to check out my old E30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZi6ukjOMU8&t=89s

This is the sig someone made for me on my local forum. Somebody get a protractor on there to tell me how :black101: I am.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 31, 2010

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Got a new door for my Impreza to replace the one that got hosed over back in this post - Turns out the B pillar wasn't as hosed up as I thought, the hinges are still straight, there's just a fairly minor clearance issue between the pillar and the door I've gotta pound out.
Also got bigger tires and some nice looking rims. Pics later I suppose.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Washed it at one of those do it yourself type booth type places.

I am unintentionally amused at the 20 different options of what comes out of the hose. I went with "SOAP"(an old standard) followed by "RINSE: MEDIUM PRESSURE" and then "DELUXE WAX"(not sure why anyone would go with the regular wax, this one is deluxe for the same price!!!!).

Also added a bottle of water wetter to my coolant. Normal running temperature didn't change, but there was a slight reduction in the 'peak' temperature in the initial warm up. Meh?

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Beach Bum posted:

If you think you have body roll, you need to check out my old E30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZi6ukjOMU8&t=89s

This is the sig someone made for me on my local forum. Somebody get a protractor on there to tell me how :black101: I am.

Oh god, that sig is brilliant. Must have been fun trying to transfer weight in the slaloms with that. How is she sitting these days?

I was jealous of all the other kids on the playground who's rear didn't raise up 1' in the hard braking zone for the turn around.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

From August 15th:

DropShadow posted:

Turned 57,000 miles on the way to the lake. New exhaust & high-flow cat coming soon.

Turned 58k miles yesterday. This is why I can't lease.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Actually, no. She said she heard some 'funny noises' at some point during the week but didn't notice a lack of power. She only drives in the city, though, and rarely drives quickly enough where she would notice.
This exact same thing happened to my wifes GTP. She never noticed anything but when I went to drive it I immediately noticed there wasn't any boost. When I popped the hood I noticed there was no belt anywhere to be found. It wasn't until I got a new belt and went to install it that I realized the pulley was completely gone.

CornHolio posted:

She's never changed the oil in the supercharger to my knowledge so for all I know it's barely pressurizing anyway. :(
Ours has almost 180k on it and still boosts pretty good. No idea if the fluid has ever been changed, think it's worth it at this point?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

King-Kong posted:

Oh god, that sig is brilliant. Must have been fun trying to transfer weight in the slaloms with that. How is she sitting these days?

I was jealous of all the other kids on the playground who's rear didn't raise up 1' in the hard braking zone for the turn around.

It got wrecked, unfortunately. I earned fame with that car as"The Lean Machine", and my new E30 is called "Lean2". The Lean Machine is now a parts car. Lean2 has much stiffer suspension, 350/550 springs and BillyHDs. It barely leans at all and it's LOW. I'll post pics when I get home.

Driving that car with it's measly 90 HP and blown suspension taught me a lot about how to conserve momentum, and I drove the wheels off of it. People were amazed at the times I was pulling. My driving style basically consisted of throwing the wheel over to the lock and managing oversteer. People, especially the kids, loved riding with me.

I got the "Drive it like you stole it" award that year for my crazy antics.

I miss that car.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

Beach Bum posted:

I got the "Drive it like you stole it" award that year for my crazy antics.

A recognition we should all strive for.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

King-Kong posted:

A recognition we should all strive for.

Agreed. Can't wait to throw it around in the dirt this fall.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

:argh: IAT line error code popped back up again, Intermittent.

Tore off the intake, and started poking through the cowl wire harness.

Found the problem. Apparently the IAT line was cut/damaged, and was repaired with electrical tape [:doh:] a few years ago. Now it's brittle and rusted and about 2 or 3 copper strands barely keeping contact.

I couldn't get a good crimp on it with a butt connector, so I wound up cutting a chunk out of the harness, and creating a new weatherpack connector with nice f-crimps [:haw:]. Hopefully that's the end of it. If not, I'll take the engine harness from a project truck and just reinstall the whole underhood electrical system.

While I was at it, I decided to swap out my alternator, only to find out that my new spare, has the wrong case/mounting system for my truck. Welp, time for another rebuild.

On that front, I picked up a Painless Wiring Circuit Boss fuse box with relays, so I'll rewire all my auxiliary stuff in a secondary electrical system separate from the factory system. It'll have it's own circuit breaker and relaybox in a pelican case bolted to the firewall, then I'll run lines with weatherpack connectors down to my lights, radio, etc. I'll probably do that next weekend when I have to pull the dash out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Geared Hub posted:

On that front, I picked up a Painless Wiring Circuit Boss fuse box with relays, so I'll rewire all my auxiliary stuff in a secondary electrical system separate from the factory system. It'll have it's own circuit breaker and relaybox in a pelican case bolted to the firewall, then I'll run lines with weatherpack connectors down to my lights, radio, etc. I'll probably do that next weekend when I have to pull the dash out.

Post some photos of this, would you? It sounds pretty interesting.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Post some photos of this, would you? It sounds pretty interesting.

I'll document it, I'm pissed off at all the lovely off road wiring kits out there so I'm rolling my own. I want to leave the factory electrical and harnesses completely unmolested, and I don't want anything on the battery box.

Right now I'm hunting for a nice dedicated relay box. A early 90's Toyota Celica relay box, might do the trick, It's just a small angled box with 4-5 automotive 5 pin relay connectors, and I can get salvaged ones for $10.

It'll make it super easy to troubleshoot electrical in the future.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 2, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I have an unexplainable hardon to rewire my cars to make them less totally bullshit, so this is very interesting to me. An example is my audio wiring, where the car had a factory amp once, and now has a bullshit tangle of wires from the PO's aftermarket amp-in-head stereo install; I want a connector with all the speaker wires and all the head wiring (15 lines total) all on one 16-pin block behind the head.

You seem to do a lot of poo poo to your Hummer, where's the awesome project thread? :colbert:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Splizwarf posted:

You seem to do a lot of poo poo to your Hummer, where's the awesome project thread? :colbert:

I agree.

I got the new engine in my truck running today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Kj1L_Kc5U

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I've never worked on a car before and decided to do the due minor service myself on the newly purchased Renaultsport Clio 182.

After numerous problems (mainly due to me having inadequate tools) I managed it... new pollen filter, air filter and an oil/filter change. The Clio's 2.0l engine is squeezed in a tiny space so all manner of stuff has to be removed to get at the air and oil filters.

After having to cycle to Halfords to get a 13mm socket because I didn't have one (or anything other than 10mm for that matter) and using a metal chair leg on the end of the embarrassingly small ratchet to undo the sump plug I test drove the car back to Halfords and picked up a nice socket set (mix of normal and deep) with extension bars and a proper ratchet. Lesson learned.

I've gotten some confidence now so next on the list is spark plugs (which requires the removal of the intake plenum, 10ish connections to it and the coil pack), taking off the throttle body to give it a clean as I noticed it was horribly gunked up and fitting a new rear exhaust section.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I sold it! No more 2001 GTI... got a 2002 Z28 with 18k miles on her. Thing is mint... don't even ask the price, you'll punch yourself in the face if I tell you. :D

MTK337
Jul 11, 2005
Replaced Half shaft, control arms, tie rod ends, steering rack boots, and ball joints. Now I just have to figure out the frustrating cold start problem. Autocross here we come! :dance:

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma
I fended them off from an infestation of biblical proportions from our states' very own radioactive ant. Yes, that is the garage door behind it.

(Ok I lied, it's a solfugid.)

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
Not today, but yesterday. I replaced the window thieves busted to break into my car and steal my cheap Pioneer CD player, proof of ownership, and owner's manual.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Cop posted:

Not today, but yesterday. I replaced the window thieves busted to break into my car and steal my cheap Pioneer CD player, proof of ownership, and owner's manual.

Sorry but the Username/post content combo made me laugh pretty hard.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Picked up some tools to change my spark plugs and wires. She starts up amazing now. Another month or two until I can get her on the road!

\/\/\/ That's rough. Mine were right on top. :)

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 4, 2010

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
New plugs... requires the removal of loads of poo poo.

I cleaned out the throttle body as well and combined with new plugs and fresh premium oil gives a silky smooth idle. Woo.

blambert fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 4, 2010

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
Changed the starter, sway rod links and tires on my S-10. Jacked it up and noticed that the driver's side sawy bar link was missing, explains what it drove like a piece of poo poo and ate up the inside of my tire. Had to bump start the truck everyday for a week because the starter wouldn't engage, grateful it was not the flywheel like I first thought.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Vacuumed out the omnipresent dust layer from the interior, along with a good once-over with Armor-All and a rag. The insides of the windows are all clean, I swear, even though you can't tell from the dust on the outside. There's no point in washing the outside today, I'll do it tomorrow evening after my weekly drive through the countryside (i.e. grasshopper and dragonfly murderfest-by-grille).

I also fixed the back seatbelts. In a "2+2" there's no way an adult could sit in the back, but the seatbelt buckles being under the seat prevents me using the rear belts to secure a camera tripod or something.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Learned how to use a clay bar, polish, and wax. Probably doing it all wrong, but I like my results!

You might too, if it wasn't dark out. And if I could use a camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Greased the gear shifter ball with some white lithium grease in my miata. Was just a quick thing(15 min maybe?) but the shifter is waaaay smoother now. I was surprised to find trans fluid still in the turret - it's a 94.