Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

n/m wrong thread

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

morestuff posted:

Is Sanjuro worth a blind buy on Blu-ray if I've seen and enjoyed Yojimbo?

I prefer it to Yojimbo. Buy the box set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, if you want a conflicting opinion, I love Yojimbo but think Sanjuro is relatively weak. Kill! is based on the same story as Sanjuro and I think it's slightly superior.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
So I'm getting a resounding "maybe." Since I'm looking for justification to spend money I shouldn't, I'll read that as a yes.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Sanjuro - More funny, but much less interesting supporting cast of characters (Yojimbo is one of the best movies I've ever seen in this regard). Almost everyone ranks Sanjuro just a little lower than Yojimbo. It is definitely a movie worth seeing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I got nothing off the top of my head. For some reason the only soccer-related movie I can think of is Victory and that seems highly unlikely.

Also, the newsletter says there are "nearly fifteen minutes" of outtakes on TTRL.

EDIT: oh poo poo it's gotta be Kes! AWESOME!

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 1, 2010

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

FitFortDanga posted:

I got nothing off the top of my head. For some reason the only soccer-related movie I can think of is Victory and that seems highly unlikely.
Also, the newsletter says there are "nearly fifteen minutes" of outtakes on TTRL.
Yeah, Kes (1969) would be my guess. The only other soccer-related film that Criterion might be interested in that I can think of off the top of my head would be Wim Wenders' Die Angst des Tormanns Beim Elfmeter/The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (1972), which doesn't have a bird that I can think of (although perhaps a bird of prey thing going on if you want to stretch things a bit). But that could just be because I'd like to see Criterion release more of Wenders' early films.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
Comedy soccer option would be the OTHER Kicking and Screaming.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's a new eclipse set. The complete Cantona collection.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That's so weird, I haven't even seen Kes but it popped into my head the other day and I was trying to remember what it was titled.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Criminal Minded posted:

That's so weird, I haven't even seen Kes but it popped into my head the other day and I was trying to remember what it was titled.

It's titled Kes. Hope that helps.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FitFortDanga posted:

It would be loving hilarious if Victory got a Criterion release.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would be loving hilarious if Victory got a Criterion release.

Featuring commentary by Stallone.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, that explains why Loach took it off of YouTube a few weeks back.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I was looking through my college store's used Bluray section and saw the Criterion edition of Benjamin Button for $13. The sticker on it said "GIFT QUALITY," but when I opened it up there was only the film disc- no booklet or special features disc. What kind of rear end in a top hat company thinks a crippled Criterion is "gift quality?"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The same people at my library who cut the sides off of the Criterion digipaks and stick them into the cheaper, more disposable keepcases. And they do it with scissors, too, so the edges are all uneven and lovely. It's annoying and kind of sad to see them all clipped up.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Comparison between the new Thin Red Line blu-ray and the DVD. They're like night and day: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/thin_red_line.htm

DVD Beaver posted:

I can safely say that I have a new 'demo' disc for my system! The Criterion is advertised as "New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer John Toll" and I have no reason to doubt how authentic it looks to the original theatrical appearance. It pummels the DVD in all important visual areas - from detail (significantly brighter image on the 1080P Blu-ray) to accuracy of colors, from grain to contrast. This is, now, one of the best looking discs that I own with kudos to John Toll.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my lord. I own the DVD, haven't got around to watching it yet, and now don't want to until I can get that.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

I very rarely buy Bluray discs, but I pre-ordered TTRL months ago. Nice to see it getting glowing reviews across the board. The official bluray.com review gives it fives across the board. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Thin-Red-Line-Blu-ray/11300/#Review

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Should be new announcements today. Videodrome on Blu-Ray seems like a lock. December is always a light month. I predict either 1 new title + 1 Eclipse set, or 1 new title + 1 other reissue.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Should be new announcements today. Videodrome on Blu-Ray seems like a lock. December is always a light month. I predict either 1 new title + 1 Eclipse set, or 1 new title + 1 other reissue.

Has Del Toro finished working on the Cronos yet? I've been waiting for that for a months now.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SneakySneaks posted:

Has Del Toro finished working on the Cronos yet? I've been waiting for that for a months now.

I believe he said at comic con that it was coming in december, but something might have changed since then.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

December is always a light month.

Especially considering the BBS Story DVD is a December release.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Cronos BD/DVD Dec 7th

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:
• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Guillermo del Toro and cinematographer Guillermo Navarro, including optional audio with the film’s original Spanish-language voice-over introduction as well as DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
• Two audio commentaries, one featuring del Toro and the other producers Arthur H. Gorson and Bertha Navarro and coproducer Alejandro Springall
• Geometria, an unreleased 1987 short horror film by del Toro, finished by the director in 2010, plus a new video interview with him
• Welcome to Bleak House, a video tour by del Toro of his office, featuring his collectibles and personal work
• New video interviews with del Toro, Navarro, and actor Ron Perlman
• Video interview with actor Federico Luppi
• Stills gallery
• Trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation, approved by del Toro
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Maitland McDonagh and excerpts from del Toro’s notes for the film

Videodrome Blu Dec 7th.

Same Special Features

The Lucas fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 15, 2010

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Yeah, that's what I call a light month. I've never seen Cronos, I want to check that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A nice break for my wallet, which will need time to recover from October.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

The BBS set does't have its own spine number. Out of curiosity, when did they stop giving box sets spine numbers?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The BBS set does't have its own spine number. Out of curiosity, when did they stop giving box sets spine numbers?

There doesn't seem to be a specific set of rules for what does and doesn't get spine numbers. It varies on a very regular basis.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Pretty sure the Cronos cover is a Mike Mignola which means Criterion now has covers by Mike Allred, Seth, Jaime Hernandez, Mignola, and probably someone else awesome I am forgetting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

McNutty posted:

Pretty sure the Cronos cover is a Mike Mignola which means Criterion now has covers by Mike Allred, Seth, Jaime Hernandez, Mignola, and probably someone else awesome I am forgetting.

Sean Phillips did Blast of Silence, as well.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Crumb did the Crumb cover.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Some of the gift sets don't have spine numbers, see here for more.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

All of those were repackagings of previously released titles though.

e: wait, no, Rebel Samurai wasn't. So I guess that was the first one.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 16, 2010

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

All of those were repackagings of previously released titles though.

e: wait, no, Rebel Samurai wasn't. So I guess that was the first one.

All the Rebel Samurai movies came out separately the same day the box set came out

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Full extras are out for the BBS set

Head

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack and newly created, optional DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring the Monkees
* New video interview with director Bob Rafelson
* New documentary about BBS featuring critic David Thomson and historian Douglas Brinkley
* Screen tests with the Monkees
* Trailers and TV and radio spots
* Ephemera, including behind-the-scenes photos by Henry Diltz
* Rare 1968 television interview with the Monkees

Easy Rider

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography László Kovács (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack and optional DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Two audio commentaries, one featuring actor-director-writer Dennis Hopper, the other Hopper, actor-writer Peter Fonda, and production manager Paul Lewis
* Born to Be Wild (1995) and “Easy Rider”: Shaking the Cage, (1999), documentaries about the making and history of the film
* Television excerpts showing Hopper and Fonda at the Cannes Film Festival
* New video interview with BBS cofounder Steve Blauner
* Theatrical trailers

Five Easy Pieces

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography László Kovács (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson and interior designer Toby Rafelson
* Soul Searching in “Five Easy Pieces,” a 2009 video piece with Rafelson
* BBStory, a 2009 documentary about the BBS era, with Rafelson, actors Jack Nicholson, Karen Black, and Ellen Burstyn, and directors Peter Bogdanovich and Henry Jaglom, among others
* Audio excerpts from a 1976 AFI interview with Rafelson
* Theatrical trailer and teasers

Drive, He Said

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Jack Nicholson (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* A Cautionary Tale of Campus Revolution and Sexual Freedom, a 2009 video piece featuring Nicholson
* Theatrical trailer

A Safe Place

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Henry Jaglom
* Henry Jaglom Finds “A Safe Place,” a 2009 video piece in which the director discusses the film
* Notes on the New York Film Festival, a 1971 video interview with Jaglom and director Peter Bogdanovich
* Outtakes and screen tests
* Theatrical trailer

The Last Picture Show

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer of Peter Bogdanovich’s director’s cut, supervised by Bogdanovich (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Two audio commentaries, one from 1991, featuring Bogdanovich and actors Cybill Shepherd, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman, and Frank Marshall; the other from 2009, featuring Bogdanovich
* “The Last Picture Show”: A Look Back, (1999) and Picture This (1990), documentaries about the making of the film
* A Discussion with Filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich, a 2009 Q&A
* Screen tests and location footage
* Excerpts from a 1972 television interview with director François Truffaut about the New Hollywood
* Theatrical trailers

The King of Marvin Gardens

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photogaphy László Kovács (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Selected-scene commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson
* Reflections of a Philosopher King, a 2009 video piece with Rafelson and actress Ellen Burstyn
* Afterthoughts, a 2002 interview with Rafelson, about the film, produced by Rafelson, Kovács, and actor Bruce Dern
* Theatrical trailer

* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics J. Hoberman, Chuck Stephens, Matt Zoller Seitz, Kent Jones, Graham Fuller, and Mark Le Fanu

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Got the Charade Blu in addition to a few others, the transfer is awesome but there's really nothing of else of value on the disc besides a trailer and commentary. I wish they made a supplement on the whole public domain mistake they made with the movie, I'm really curious how they managed to gently caress that up. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I have the Universal DVD (with the remake) and it has a copyright notice. There's a noticeable "jump" for that part of the credits which indicates it must have been revised on later prints.

Most public domain films aren't really public domain. There's always underlying rights for music, trademarks, story/screenplay, etc. Even if Charade was fully public domain without gray areas, Universal owns the negative and all other prime film elements. PD editions have to come from private 16mm prints for that reason.

I'm not entirely sure how "cleared" Criterion's W.C. Fields Shorts or The Most Dangerous Game were, though. They list copyrights to RKO and Paramount, but it's obvious they didn't license anything from Turner or Republic (current owners). The Fields shorts all have preservation elements at UCLA, which isn't noted either.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion Cast speculates on potential upcoming MGM titles

The only one of those that I'd buy would be Thief (although I haven't seen Cul-de-Sac or Sunday Bloody Sunday yet).

doctor thodt posted:

Haven't the Qatsi films been rumored for a Criterion release for a while now?

Yeah, I think Koyaanisqatsi is practically confirmed, not sure about the sequels.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

Sunday Bloody Sunday

To hell with that, give us Midnight Cowboy instead :colbert:

Haven't the Qatsi films been rumored for a Criterion release for a while now? At the very least, they'd look gorgeous on Blu-Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Based on Repulsion alone I would blind buy Cul-de-Sac, and probably Red River. Killer's Kiss is a rental for me and the rest I'm not terribly interested in. But it's certainly promising that they're getting more access to titles like this.