Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Also, some techniques will come more natural to you than others. I've been painting regularly for about three years now and just recently realized I'm much more comfortable working with washes and really thin paints than 'traditional' layering. Don't be afraid to experiment with different things and you'll find stuff that just clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So normally I have been greenstuffing joints with a bit super glue to help. I did a test run without super glue and it seems pretty sturdy. Have I been wasting my time super-gluing greenstuff?

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
If you're an alcoholic and you're shaking too much while painting, you just haven't had your daily dosage yet, hit that bottle of Jack and get back to it.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Hi I R SMART LIKE ROCK I just want to say that I really like your Menoth scheme and also gently caress yes, Farrow. That's all. :shobon:

:glomp:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

djfooboo posted:

So normally I have been greenstuffing joints with a bit super glue to help. I did a test run without super glue and it seems pretty sturdy. Have I been wasting my time super-gluing greenstuff?

Unless its metal models with really heavy parts, prob not neccesary. If its a really important joint that you know will break, greenstuff and pinning is prob a good idea.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You guys have been really good about feedback so far, so I'm coming to you for some advice.

It took probably half an hour to slap some plasticard on the side there, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time to keep going on the others. Random patches looked awful, so i'm thinking about just hitting both sides of each body to break up the large curved metal areas. It doesn't really make the shape any more boxy... it just breaks up the curves a little bit. It also looks, i don't know, more unprofessional. Which I guess is a good thing, but also kind of not.

Any opinions? Obviously I still need to slap dozens of tiny, hand-made rivets on there... :suicide:

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Working on my next oath, gonna build some meganobz, I know they can't have other cc weapons than powerklaws, but I wanted a bit of variety so I gave this dude a huge 'uge choppa, just because.

Stil need a few touch ups but mostly done.

Also what up meganob bro, high five!

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

pw pw pw posted:

You guys have been really good about feedback so far, so I'm coming to you for some advice.

It took probably half an hour to slap some plasticard on the side there, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time to keep going on the others. Random patches looked awful, so i'm thinking about just hitting both sides of each body to break up the large curved metal areas. It doesn't really make the shape any more boxy... it just breaks up the curves a little bit. It also looks, i don't know, more unprofessional. Which I guess is a good thing, but also kind of not.

Any opinions? Obviously I still need to slap dozens of tiny, hand-made rivets on there... :suicide:

Holy crap, that's a million times better. I'd personally think they look more like Killa Kans, but I can't remember how big that model you used is. It's been a while since I've played AT-43.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They might look more like kanz, but they're pretty small compared to them. Honestly they're just about the same size as a meganob. There isn't even really room for a whole nob in there, but I've decided that mine are all limbless torsos built irreversibly into the machine. Like mini-dreadnoughts.

Also my killa kanz do not look very much like normal killa kanz, so there won't be any confusion for my opponents.

edit::orks::hf::orks:

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 3, 2010

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

pw pw pw posted:

Idk the extra plastic card just doesn't do it for me, seems to clean to be ork handy work, maybe try some pieces that are jagged and hang over edges. Still not bad at all so far.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Idk the extra plastic card just doesn't do it for me, seems to clean to be ork handy work, maybe try some pieces that are jagged and hang over edges. Still not bad at all so far.

Remember paint, the occasional random rivet, and maybe an orky glyph or two will help break up the surface.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It is absurd how much difference a couple dozen rivets make. Also I always work in a lot of nicks and scratches that don't really show up on camera until they're all highlighted.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
nthing the rivets idea. superglue applied with a toothpick is a good way to make easy, small rivets.

Also, I think they need pauldrons too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nah, that would detract from the boss's pauldrons (as seen here)

and yes, before anyone asks, he is wearing a giant robocrown.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

So I've finally gotten some pictures of my ranger, keep in mind this is my first mini that isn't a AOBR Space Marine. I think I should have done some more of the snakebite leather on his head and back, but it's too late now. I've already washed him in Ogryn flesh. I'm working on a better way to take photos and will try to get those up when I get home from work.

He looks like a very ugly giraffe. :smith:
Camo is hard to do. Don't beat yourself up about not getting it perfect on the first go. I've been at this fifteen years and I'm still never happy with new patterns.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
^^^
Thanks mate. I'm just disappointed that mine isn't coming close to what I consider bad* after looking at this thread.

*bad=anything that is placed next to Paint Vagrant's stuff.

This is what my giraffe looks like after he got washed with Ogryn Flesh.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I say roll with it. It might not have been what you were aiming for originally but it looks cool to me. Futuristic Space Aliens would be using much earth camo anyway.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Yeah, I say that PaintVagrant gets banned from this thread so that our stuff doesn't look as bad next to his.

Just kidding, god your poo poo looks great

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

pw pw pw posted:

They might look more like kanz, but they're pretty small compared to them. Honestly they're just about the same size as a meganob. There isn't even really room for a whole nob in there, but I've decided that mine are all limbless torsos built irreversibly into the machine. Like mini-dreadnoughts.

The photos look promising. What I would do is, instead of actually cutting plates to form around curves, bend them at sharp angles to give it a more boxy look while still maintaining the curves of the base model. Add some trim along the edge of the models maybe, with the orky tooth design that we often see.

Another thing that bugged me was the guns themselves. I hate to beat a dead horse, but add more dakka: they look a little too small for an ork, I think, but if you like them go with them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sole.Sushi posted:

too small for an ork

The answer to this is adding an ork with a remote control.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sole.Sushi posted:

The photos look promising. What I would do is, instead of actually cutting plates to form around curves, bend them at sharp angles to give it a more boxy look while still maintaining the curves of the base model. Add some trim along the edge of the models maybe, with the orky tooth design that we often see.

Another thing that bugged me was the guns themselves. I hate to beat a dead horse, but add more dakka: they look a little too small for an ork, I think, but if you like them go with them.

Consider for a second that this was probably not the first way I arranged the plasticard. The structure is too curvy to support a boxy, orthogonal design. I tried slapping some of the thicker card on in a boxy pattern and it just looks like butt. To get a shape like that I would be better off just sculpting them from scratch than trying to add it on top of a shape that doesn't lend itself to it. I bought these guys because I liked the way they looked. I'm not gonna completely abandon that now. They fit within the aesthetic of my army and my walkers, which are also heavily converted, and smoother than the average junkheap.

edit: also you're crazy these guns are loving huge

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 3, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

Consider for a second that this was probably not the first way I arranged the plasticard.

I did not consider that, though I likely should have. I do apologize if I was coming off as a jerk.

pw pw pw posted:

I liked the way they looked. I'm not gonna completely abandon that now.

Ahh, see I thought you were just using them as a framework. If you like that smooth pattern, then yeah, go with it.

pw pw pw posted:

edit: also you're crazy these guns are loving huge

Haha, touche. I think it's the barrels that make it look small. I'm not used to seeing smooth gun barrels on orks. :v:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hey, no problem. I may have gotten a little defensive. But yeah, my other walkers are converted with parts from different mechwarrior clix, and they don't look too different from the at-43 stuff.

To clarify, I bought that stuff for two reasons: 1) It was on sale, and 2) I don't care for the way stock meganobz look, and was trying to depart from it.

The barrels are indeed smaller than normal shootas, but still a fair bit wider than the radius of the ork bullets so I'm cool with it.

I really appreciate the feedback, though :)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

I really appreciate the feedback, though :)

No prob. I always like giving input, though it's not always great.
Perfect example, me: "Oh yeah man, use PVA to make stained glass"
Other Goon: "Or just use some thin clear plastic, dumbass."
Me: :suicide:

But hey, that's what the thread is for.

VVVVV
You never really truly understand how huge Catachan arms are until you seem a Cadian head attached to the same torso.
Looks pretty fly though, duder.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 3, 2010

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just thought I'd break up the Nobz discussion here so I can show off some IG I just painted for a commission:

Missile launcher teams:

Turret and more troopers:

Command squad:

I think they came out pretty good, but god am I tired of painting grey.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Those look great!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
^^^
It may have been a pain, but they look great. Is the silver mark on the chest of the armored ones the Imperial Aquila? If it is that's impressively tiny.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I say roll with it. It might not have been what you were aiming for originally but it looks cool to me. Futuristic Space Aliens would be using much earth camo anyway.

Thanks for the input, 1 is all it takes. And I think once I've fleshed him out a bit it'll improve. And if it doesn't, no worries. I fix watches so I have access to an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. :toot:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

^^^
It may have been a pain, but they look great. Is the silver mark on the chest of the armored ones the Imperial Aquila? If it is that's impressively tiny.

Yeah, it's a molded on detail. Thanks :)

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
It has been a while since I've posted in here. I haven't died of paint fumes yet, though there are a few stinky ones out there. Good news is I haven't touched my space wolves termies in almost a month so I'm not ruining them with noob painting. Bad news is I haven't painted anything.. UNTIL TONIGHT.

I'll get some pictures up when I can get some natural light on em, but basically I stopped rushing the job and decided I'd spend just as much time as I did on one termie a month ago (about 7 hours) on another termie arm.

This just so happened to be the multi-melta arm heavy flamer and shoulder pad and extra little bit here and there. I'm not anywhere done with it (highlights and some spotty washes left) and then I'll post. Hell, I'll even post where I think I'm improving from my last botchy paint job.

I'm also getting the hang of yellow on black. trick is, cross hatching layers that are really thin. At least that works for me.

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 3, 2010

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

slightpirate posted:

I'm also getting the hang of yellow on black. trick is, cross hatching layers that are really thin. At least that works for me.

Paint the area white first, then do yellow over that. Alternately, get Iyanden Darksun from GW. It'll give you a nice yellow-brown-beige basecoat to paint yellow over.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

SRM posted:

Paint the area white first, then do yellow over that. Alternately, get Iyanden Darksun from GW. It'll give you a nice yellow-brown-beige basecoat to paint yellow over.

Iyanden Darksun over black still isn't as good as light grey->iyanden->yellow. Light grey because it covers a lot better and more smoothly than straight white (I use VGC Stonewall Grey). If you put Iyanden straight over black you still have to use 2+ layers and even then you may still have dark spots.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
This sounds pretty much accurate. My previous attempts at yellow over black had no base color really and it was just pure slathered on sunburst yellow.

I used Iyanden in multiple thin coats and it worked out pretty well. Right up until I accidentally got some devlan mud wash on it and it stained it. Interesting effect, but I'm not sure I like it.

This is a bit out of focus, but here ya go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AnUninvitedGuest posted:

^^^
Thanks mate. I'm just disappointed that mine isn't coming close to what I consider bad* after looking at this thread.

*bad=anything that is placed next to Paint Vagrant's stuff.

This is what my giraffe looks like after he got washed with Ogryn Flesh.

A good trick for patchey camo like that, assuming you want roughly "modern" appearance, is to paint the model the lightest colour as a base, then paint slightly more than half of it in random patches with the mid-darkness camo colour and then half THAT in the darkest colour, without being particularly careful.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WELP, sushi you got your wish.

Someone on the waaagh.com was "kind" enough to remind me that warbosses in mega armor can not take kombi weapons for some reason (no reason), and I was forced to replace the burny parts of his gun with shooty parts, which somehow made the gun even larger.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm cross-posting from the Scale modelling thread, but I might as well ask here as well.

After an inordinate amount of research for my airship, I'm slightly stuck on the design. It's definitely going to be a vacuum airship with pre-steampunk technobabble involving Sir Isaac Newtown's dabblings in alchemy to hand-wave the whole "substance light enough to be <1g per liter and strong enough to not implode while holding a vacuum" technicality. Now I'm just torn between two layouts for the "balloon".

First one, four brass or copper spheres on each mast:

Alternatively, pretend the "balloons" are tucked inside a sailcloth envelope:

Right now, I'm leaning towards the first one, since it seems more aesthetically pleasing, and wouldn't subject the crew to massive orbs of metal baking in the sun all day...

I spent all day coming up with a vaguely convincing history for this thing, so yeah, I'm gonna consider the comfort of an entirely fictitious crew :colbert:

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Got my second batch of infinity miniatures and painted the first one, a member of the Holy Military Order Of The Knights Of Santiago!

I'm fairly happy with it, although the sword is one of the biggest disasters I've ever done, I couldn't figure out what to do with it and it got all lumpy because there were too many layers :saddowns:

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm cross-posting from the Scale modelling thread, but I might as well ask here as well.

After an inordinate amount of research for my airship, I'm slightly stuck on the design. It's definitely going to be a vacuum airship with pre-steampunk technobabble involving Sir Isaac Newtown's dabblings in alchemy to hand-wave the whole "substance light enough to be <1g per liter and strong enough to not implode while holding a vacuum" technicality. Now I'm just torn between two layouts for the "balloon".

First one, four brass or copper spheres on each mast:

Alternatively, pretend the "balloons" are tucked inside a sailcloth envelope:

Right now, I'm leaning towards the first one, since it seems more aesthetically pleasing, and wouldn't subject the crew to massive orbs of metal baking in the sun all day...

I spent all day coming up with a vaguely convincing history for this thing, so yeah, I'm gonna consider the comfort of an entirely fictitious crew :colbert:

I think you got your pictures backwards or something because I agree with you that the SECOND one would look much nicer. The first one with the separate orbs looks silly. Love fantasy airships so I can't wait to see your work.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

TastyAvocado posted:

Got my second batch of infinity miniatures and painted the first one, a member of the Holy Military Order Of The Knights Of Santiago!

I'm fairly happy with it, although the sword is one of the biggest disasters I've ever done, I couldn't figure out what to do with it and it got all lumpy because there were too many layers :saddowns:

Dude, that armor is sick. I'm jealous since that is THE MODEL that has my imagination when it comes to infinity.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

I think you got your pictures backwards or something because I agree with you that the SECOND one would look much nicer. The first one with the separate orbs looks silly. Love fantasy airships so I can't wait to see your work.

Yeah, sorry, I did mean the second one with the sailcloth.

Now if I could get to building it and stop trying to construct an elaborate history before and after the maiden voyage of the Daedalus. The only thing I've done so far is to file off the name Jolly Roger and put on the propellers. Everything else has been "OK, when did the Stirling Engine get invented? 1816? No, that's WAY too late... Those envelopes would be mighty strong, and the prime target for ship-to-ship combat... Maybe a static charge could neutralize their properties... Wait, then was the Leyden Jar invented?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Anyone know of an Australia stockist of Vallejo Air? Or a good alternative?

• Locked thread