Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Another bit of 'longboard' gear I'll throw into the sights of you street skaters:
If you're looking to step it up to something a little bigger, check out this deck
http://blisslongboards.com/Big_B.aspx
36x9" symmetrical double-kick, 17" and 18.5" wheelbases.

I kind of want to pick one up for myself... but I don't have the money, so you goons should instead. Help support small companies!

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
Sanded and fixed my old longboard, put some new grip tape on it and decided to cut a design in the tape.

For scale of how large it is, with my Half Cab Pros (cool guys match wheels and shoes)

Also put on new medium Bones bushings, Bones Reds, and new Tunnel Tarantula 65mm 75a wheels. Rides so, so smooth.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Money Walrus posted:

Sanded and fixed my old longboard, put some new grip tape on it and decided to cut a design in the tape.

For scale of how large it is, with my Half Cab Pros (cool guys match wheels and shoes)

Also put on new medium Bones bushings, Bones Reds, and new Tunnel Tarantula 65mm 75a wheels. Rides so, so smooth.

That looks great, do you cut the design before or after applying it to the board?

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007

Mugmoor posted:

That looks great, do you cut the design before or after applying it to the board?

I cut the design before, but it was a royal pain to get it on once it was all cut. Took me about 10 razor blades to do the whole graphic. First time tryin it out, were I to do it again I would mount it on something that allows me to keep it all together for ease of application.

The surfboard shape and grip design makes me look down at my feet and grin while I'm skating- reminds me of the surf back home.

roastpork
Oct 13, 2005

My underbelly is rock hard. It can go all night.
I only recently picked up skateboarding, completely missing out on learning anything during my teen years, and I feel like I'll always be that wobbly dude who sucks poo poo. :( I don't want to be busting poo poo like Hsu, but just being able to ollie and actually use my board for riding around places would be sweet. Like sometimes I can roll my foot up the board, but my other foot doesn't cooperate - or I just jump clear off the board like a spaz.

Recently, I moved to the Massachusetts north shore, and I'm thinking pretty hard on trying to find someone to help encourage me to keep going. :ohdear:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Keep skating roastpork! I moved to Montreal last year without knowing anyone and now I have a pretty solid crew of guys to go skating with.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Spermatic Cord posted:

Anyone ever skate Bones STF? I ordered a set myself because I hated how hard and rough a ride my 52mm darkstars were. These are supposed to be softer. I'm getting the 54mm ones.

I ride 52mm STFs, couldn't be happier. They slide well but don't flat spot, and feel fast but still smooth. They cost a bit more, but seeing as how I had to replace my previous wheels only two months after buying them due to severe flat spotting, they kind of pay for themselves.

Spermatic Cord
Jun 6, 2006

DEO3 posted:

I ride 52mm STFs, couldn't be happier. They slide well but don't flat spot, and feel fast but still smooth. They cost a bit more, but seeing as how I had to replace my previous wheels only two months after buying them due to severe flat spotting, they kind of pay for themselves.

I ended up with the 54mm ones. I like them way better. They're so smooth compared to my old wheels. No more vibrating when going over slightly rough surfaces! The only thing I find is that it's slightly different doing ollies on it. I'm not used to how fast it is. I'll adjust with more time though.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

maxmars posted:

Seconded .. Unfortunately I'm the wrong side of the ocean for them to ship to me, but the library is ace.

By the way, I'm back from vacations and with broadband comes another video. It may not be as epic as I'd like it to be, because after all this is LDP, but I had fun shooting it and it helps spreading the stoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZRBvgLM_U

Finally got good pump form. With that in my arsenal now I really, REALLY need to learn to skate switch, as well as needing to learn to push mongo. I'm right handed, but ride goofy. My bushing up front is SUPER squishy, so I get a very, very nice pump on my o'tangs. Just sucks because there are no smooth surfaces here in Indianapolis. Every sidewalk has joints every foot or two. It's hell on my knees.

What makes it worse is not being able to switch feet. My knees aren't loving me right now.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
So what's the proper way to set up a board for dedicated pumping? I really want to learn, it seems like such a fun way to get around.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
In general? Big, soft wheels, loose front truck, tight back truck. Check out pavedwave.org, there is so many resources it's silly to try to reiterate them here.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

RobotEmpire posted:

Finally got good pump form. With that in my arsenal now I really, REALLY need to learn to skate switch, as well as needing to learn to push mongo.

Yes I agree, that's something I plan to do also. But first, I'm going to learn to use a paddle. That way, I'll have three ways of propelling, namely pumping, pushing, paddling.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I want to pick up a longboard and just use it as a fun way to get around town. I haven't skated since I was about 10 so I'm basically new to everything but I just wanted to know what you guys recommend for the length of the board in proportion to your height? I saw elsewhere that the taller you are, the longer the board you want to get. I'm 6'2 and just looking for something that'll be a nice, smooth ride.

Also, the local shops here are really expensive in comparison to this site: http://www.skateboardexpress.com.au/complete-longboards/ (I'm in Aus) Everything I've seen around town is between $200 and $400 for a complete board but this site's range is more $100 to $200. Is there a reason for it? I just don't want to end up buying a piece of poo poo.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

roastpork posted:

I only recently picked up skateboarding, completely missing out on learning anything during my teen years, and I feel like I'll always be that wobbly dude who sucks poo poo. :( I don't want to be busting poo poo like Hsu, but just being able to ollie and actually use my board for riding around places would be sweet. Like sometimes I can roll my foot up the board, but my other foot doesn't cooperate - or I just jump clear off the board like a spaz.

Recently, I moved to the Massachusetts north shore, and I'm thinking pretty hard on trying to find someone to help encourage me to keep going. :ohdear:

Keep at it. Don't get discouraged. Every time you get on the board you are just a little bit better than last time. Your goals are totally within your reach but it will take a little time. If you meet up with some other folks don't be afraid to ask for tips but be specific about what you are interested in learning. (ie. "how does it feel when you x?" Everyone starts somewhere.

If you have a flat cement spot close to home get out there as much as you can and just do stuff. Concentrate on doing good kick turns and manuals this will help you with your balance and comfort level. If you don't have a good spot you can get out to every other day or so try to get on the board inside just trying stationary manuals/nose manuals. It will help you. Learn how to ride the board then worry with tricks.

Here's a good how to ollie trick tip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTp5_jSPJE4

Skateboarding is physics. If something isn't work right examine it and think about it. Don't blame it on your lameness. There is a reason it isn't doing what you want it to, try to find it and work on it. Once you are closer then it's repetition/muscle memory.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Downhill racing is the most fun thing I've ever gotten into.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Stay Gold came out today, everybody needs to watch it.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I got very lucky yesterday.

You can't tell but the reddish-black spot is a little road rash, with a skidmark running from my elbow to my fingertip on both sides. I really, really lucked out to just have a few cuts and bruises. Thought I was cool, took a downramp in a parking garage way, way too fast, bailed going 25-30mph. Went rear end-over-teakettle and basically bounced off my helmet. This is why I never ever skate without a helmet on. I hit the loving ground so hard I scuffed poo poo inside the backpack I was wearing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BIZORT posted:

I want to pick up a longboard and just use it as a fun way to get around town. I haven't skated since I was about 10 so I'm basically new to everything but I just wanted to know what you guys recommend for the length of the board in proportion to your height? I saw elsewhere that the taller you are, the longer the board you want to get. I'm 6'2 and just looking for something that'll be a nice, smooth ride.

Also, the local shops here are really expensive in comparison to this site: http://www.skateboardexpress.com.au/complete-longboards/ (I'm in Aus) Everything I've seen around town is between $200 and $400 for a complete board but this site's range is more $100 to $200. Is there a reason for it? I just don't want to end up buying a piece of poo poo.

That Vault drop through 40" looks alright, but it's hard to tell about the build quality, and they don't say what kind of bearings, trucks or wheels they use, I guess they make their own? I dunno seems kinda hokey.

I would contact William at Kracked Skulls http://krackedskulls.com/ and see if he'll ship to Aus. If the shipping isn't too bad it's worth just ordering a complete from him.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Golem II posted:

Stay Gold came out today, everybody needs to watch it.

I went back and watched a few parts today after watching the whole video yesterday and each individual part is pretty killer, it's just when it's all strung together with similar music the video in its entirety bored me so much that I wanted to turn it off half way through. Also, even though I was disappointed with how short Jerry Hsu's part was, I think all his tricks, with the exception of one, were all switch.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

leica posted:

That Vault drop through 40" looks alright, but it's hard to tell about the build quality, and they don't say what kind of bearings, trucks or wheels they use, I guess they make their own? I dunno seems kinda hokey.

I would contact William at Kracked Skulls http://krackedskulls.com/ and see if he'll ship to Aus. If the shipping isn't too bad it's worth just ordering a complete from him.

Wow his board is very affordable. Thanks for the recommendation.

He has them in 40", 43" and 46". For my height, 43" is alright? Or is it just a matter of preference when it comes to longboards?

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Mest0r posted:

I went back and watched a few parts today after watching the whole video yesterday and each individual part is pretty killer, it's just when it's all strung together with similar music the video in its entirety bored me so much that I wanted to turn it off half way through. Also, even though I was disappointed with how short Jerry Hsu's part was, I think all his tricks, with the exception of one, were all switch.

That part was amazing! He was injured for a lot of the time I heard. I watched the premiere in a movie theatre with a 12 pack. It was pretty awesome, made me want to skate after.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's preference, the longer the board the more flex there is. If you can afford it, go for the Scimitar with the big Flywheels, you'll be able to roll over a garden hose if it was in your way, and they roll forever. I have one and it's been great.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Sirkus posted:

That part was amazing! He was injured for a lot of the time I heard. I watched the premiere in a movie theatre with a 12 pack. It was pretty awesome, made me want to skate after.

Yeah, the story goes that Jerry was injured for a long time (knee surgery + recovery, I think) and only had a fairly short amount of time to get his tricks near the end of filming. I don't think he's even back to full strength now. Add the 'rustiness' that must come from not skating for a few years to the mix and it's really cool that he got a part together at all. Any Hsu footage is good footage.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

RobotEmpire posted:

Finally got good pump form. With that in my arsenal now I really, REALLY need to learn to skate switch, as well as needing to learn to push mongo. I'm right handed, but ride goofy. My bushing up front is SUPER squishy, so I get a very, very nice pump on my o'tangs. Just sucks because there are no smooth surfaces here in Indianapolis. Every sidewalk has joints every foot or two. It's hell on my knees.

What makes it worse is not being able to switch feet. My knees aren't loving me right now.

Got any good bike paths in the area? There's a big project called Rails to Trails all across the country, they're turning old railways into pathways. I usually hit up the paths here for pumping, no traffic and the surface is smooth.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

DELETED posted:

Got any good bike paths in the area?

LOL in Indiana? No, but that's cute. Indiana is openly and notoriously hostile to pedestrians. The common refrain is "If you need to go somewhere, just loving drive you pussy."

quote:

There's a big project called Rails to Trails all across the country, they're turning old railways into pathways. I usually hit up the paths here for pumping, no traffic and the surface is smooth.

sounds like heaven

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have you even loving looked? There's trails all over your state. http://www.indianatrails.org/index.html

Here's one near the city: http://www.indianatrails.org/Monon_Indy.htm

Oooooh look, a map of trails in your state! http://www.indianatrails.org/main_map.htm

Jesus dude.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

Have you even loving looked? There's trails all over your state. http://www.indianatrails.org/index.html

Here's one near the city: http://www.indianatrails.org/Monon_Indy.htm

Oooooh look, a map of trails in your state! http://www.indianatrails.org/main_map.htm

Jesus dude.

Dude, honestly I don't give two shits about dedicated bike paths way out in the country like the Monon. I think having to drive somewhere to go skate (or bike) is pretty god drat retarded. Come live with me for two weeks and you'll see what I'm talking about. I realize you're living in hypothetical Internet-land where you don't actually have to know what you're talking about to be a smart rear end, but talk to anyone who lives here and you'll hear the same poo poo I'm saying.

I skate 15-20 mile paths (as in, mapped-out paths around the city not bike paths) around here, and it is fun in the sense it's death defying. I'm coming from the Bay Area where concepts like bike lanes and even/smoothly paved sidewalks aren't punchlines to jokes about municipal infrastructure. Plus, even last weekend some assfucker in a pickup tried to run over a friend of mine because he was so incensed we DARED to be on a road. Literally tried to run over him right after asking me and another friend "Does your friend have life insurance?"

I live here. I skate here. Indiana's infrastructure and laws are openly hostile to pedestrians in general, and especially skateboarders. Sorry if you don't believe me because you googled "indiana trails."

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 3, 2010

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RobotEmpire posted:

Dude, honestly I don't give two shits about dedicated bike paths way out in the country like the Monon. I think having to drive somewhere to go skate (or bike) is pretty god drat retarded. Come live with me for two weeks and you'll see what I'm talking about. I realize you're living in hypothetical Internet-land where you don't actually have to know what you're talking about to be a smart rear end, but talk to anyone who lives here and you'll hear the same poo poo I'm saying.

But you said there were no bike paths in Indiana, then said bike paths sounded like heaven :confused:

And people drive out to bike/skate decent trails all the time, what's wrong with that?

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
OK, here's the deal - I am approaching 30, and havent skateboarded since early high-school. I am keen to get back into it, the city I live in (Melbourne) seems pretty skate-friendly, and I know a few good spots.

Just wondering what people make of these boards in 8inch for me (6 foot 1, 85Kg)?
http://www.boardshop.com.au/servlet/the-3036/ENJOI-WHITEY-PANDA-7.625%22/Detail or http://www.boardshop.com.au/servlet/the-4859/ZOO-YORK-WESTGATE-INSTITUTE/Detail?

btw: Just going to be riding streets/attempt the occasional trick. No jumping stairs/etc.

ssergE fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 5, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

leica posted:

But you said there were no bike paths in Indiana, then said bike paths sounded like heaven :confused:

And people drive out to bike/skate decent trails all the time, what's wrong with that?

Ok I understand your confusion. It's just that here leaving my house and going skating is essentially a commitment to getting hit by a car.

In other news, I used improper footbraking technique yesterday going down a sloped sidewalk and paid for it in blood...

This is the second bad wipeout I've had in three days. I guess injuries comes in waves... Tore the scabs off my elbow from Wednesday's spill, and yesterday my right knee was swollen to the size of a grapefruit. Was kind of afraid I was going to wind up with a cracked kneecap. Everything turned out better than expected though, I'm mobile now with a little limp.

Moral of the story: Commit to your footbrake or you'll get bounced off your board and wind up pancaking on the pavement. I didn't commit and paid for it dearly. Painful lesson learned.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Let's skate bros

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 5, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Zig, you're right. My post was assholish, yours was too, and internet fighting sucks. The end.

RobotEmpire fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 5, 2010

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

Mest0r posted:

I find the endless bangers to be boring. Its just not my style. That said Westgates part was amazing. Hes like a combo Grant Taylor/Dennis Busenitz

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

I just recently brough a complete off these guys and they are great, I got the Tracker trucks with mine. Both boards are good but I personally would go for the Enjoi because it has a nice clean graphic. Apart from the stock hard 52mm wheels the board comes with the package is great, would highly recommend getting yourself a set of 54mm soft wheels while your kicking around getting comfortable with the board.

The Tracker trucks I got with it had quite soft bushes so if you want something a bit harder pick up some bushes too.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Found a small scale track which was recently built just outside of a kindergarten, and it's a cool playground for pumping with a mini. It's got multiple paths, a wood bridge, up n downs, 180 turns..

I go there with my kids and skate for hours on end, it's hilarious. You can play tag games, use water pistols etc etc, great way to end this summer.

Panoramic pic:

Click here for the full 720x130 image.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Got stuck working weekend graves for the month. That means a few times a night I hit up the parking lot for some skating. Varials over the speed bump at a decent clip and fake big spins. :ssh: don't tell

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Well, just placed my order. Pretty excited - let's see how this goes!

(if all else fails, expect to see a board be sold cheap!)

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

RobotEmpire posted:

sounds like heaven

It is, although there's a big stretch they're doing here that's sadly just crushed granite. One of our paths is on a big hill parallel to the road, it's fun racing cars since you can do 30+ depending on the wind.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

DELETED posted:

It is, although there's a big stretch they're doing here that's sadly just crushed granite. One of our paths is on a big hill parallel to the road, it's fun racing cars since you can do 30+ depending on the wind.

Do you wear knee/elbow pads? After my latest serious bang-ups I'm considering getting elbow and knee pads with gloves. Would have saved me a lot of grief over the last few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

RobotEmpire posted:

Do you wear knee/elbow pads? After my latest serious bang-ups I'm considering getting elbow and knee pads with gloves. Would have saved me a lot of grief over the last few days.

No, I need to get some knee pads though. I usually have slide gloves, I can stand road rash to a point but I hate tearing up my palms.