Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Oh noooo. I'm so sorry. It's the Moops. The correct answer is 'The Moops.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

kolby posted:

Don't think I've seen a youtube of that posted yet. It really is one of the top 5 lines ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inANd0iiY-s#t=2m43s

Hahahahaha.

"That voice..."

Valhalska
May 3, 2007

Please do not be alarmed, we are about to engage...
The Nozzle.
You sayin'... you want a piece a me?

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Tiny Fistpump posted:

Everything evens out for Jerry

You know, you could've thrown a PENCIL out the window and see if I got that back.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"Quick tempered...with a strange.halting.way.of.speaking...."

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Oh dear god I just rewatched the standup intro to 'Male Unbonding' (S1E03) and can't stop groaning.

It's like watching a jew version of Tim Allen doing standup without the masculinity.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
"So what did you do there all day?"
"They gave me the Pensky file!"

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Oh dear god I just rewatched the standup intro to 'Male Unbonding' (S1E03) and can't stop groaning.

It's like watching a jew version of Tim Allen doing standup without the masculinity.

I wish they'd release a Tool Time Only dvd edition of home improvement. The series may be terrible but those segments have moments of pure gold.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

His "friend" is so annoying in that one. I almost can't stand watching it myself.

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

HateTheInternet posted:

"So what did you do there all day?"
"They gave me the Pensky file!"

George fakes having a job, Kramer fakes having a job, Elaine fakes being someone else at her job... Has Jerry ever done anything stupid like that? I really can't think of an instance of anything like that.

Either way, I love The Pensky File. Good episode.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

octothorpopus posted:

George fakes having a job, Kramer fakes having a job, Elaine fakes being someone else at her job... Has Jerry ever done anything stupid like that? I really can't think of an instance of anything like that.

Jerry's never had a job. Though he did take calls for Vandelay Industries.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
-you see my dear, all certified mail is registered but registered mail is not necessarily certified.

-I could listen to you talk about mail all day!

-Anything you wish! I'll tell you a little secret about zip codes...they're meaningless.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jerry pretended to be bad at his job that one time to spite someone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BrainMeats posted:

Jerry's never had a job. Though he did take calls for Vandelay Industries.

Hey he sold umbrellas for awhile... but he got out before the poncho craze of '84.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been slowly watching and rewatching the entire series over the past couple of months, and while I still like seasons 8 and 9, I really feel like season 7 could have been the perfect one to go out on. Up until that point, the show was largely an exploration of somewhat-normal people trying to cope with the minor hassles of existence, often revealing the dark (but often practical) undercurrent of humanity in the process.

A good portion of season 7 focused on George, who spends an entire year suffering under the shadow of his upcoming wedding date. What's obviously funny about the issue is that he could break things off so easily; he obviously hates Susan, and spends every waking moment devising ways for HER to break things off. But calling off an engagement may be the trickiest social situation Seinfeld presents, and George can't find a way to do it effectively (see the multiple conversations about break-ups during the show) without losing face. To me, this is when the show reached its logical conclusion, with George's inability to deal with this situation causing the death of Susan.

If you view the show in this light, the last few seasons are kind of tragic. Jerry's career goes nowhere (and even hits new lows), and the rest of the characters practically circle the bowl until the inevitable finale. Seasons 8 and 9 kind of took the characters out of the traditional Seinfeldian "elephant in the room" social situations, and instead reveled in their amorality, which really contrasts with Larry David's general philosophy.

I hope this made sense because it's been bouncing around in my head for weeks now. The show really has a different impact when you watch it sequentially as opposed to random syndicated episodes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Didn't Art Vandelay start out as Art Corvelay?

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

octothorpopus posted:

Jerry the Mailman.

He wasn't faking, he was the best drat mailman they ever saw!

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I just finished watching season 7, as well, and I really think ending it with Susan's death (and the hilarious way they dealt with it "Let's go get some coffee.") would have been a GREAT series finale. Of course, if they stopped right there, we would have missed out on a lot of classic episodes, but from a story and character standpoint, it would have worked. In fact, I think the way they all just shrugged off a person's death and moved on did a much better job of showing what kind of people they were than the finale. Sure, they don't get their comeuppance, but I think that's the beauty of it. These people are going to continue to ruin people's lives incidentally, and that's the way we liked it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

pyromance posted:

I just finished watching season 7, as well, and I really think ending it with Susan's death (and the hilarious way they dealt with it "Let's go get some coffee.") would have been a GREAT series finale. Of course, if they stopped right there, we would have missed out on a lot of classic episodes, but from a story and character standpoint, it would have worked. In fact, I think the way they all just shrugged off a person's death and moved on did a much better job of showing what kind of people they were than the finale. Sure, they don't get their comeuppance, but I think that's the beauty of it. These people are going to continue to ruin people's lives incidentally, and that's the way we liked it.

I actually view Susan in the same way as Frank Grimes from the Simpsons episode "Homer's Enemy." She was a person from the "real world" (she didn't tolerate any of the characters' bullshit or hang-ups) who entered the Seinfeld universe and disrupted the order of things, so she had to die. As viewers, we're led to find relief in the death of an innocent person (albeit portrayed poorly from George's perspective), which puts us in the shoes of the characters at that very moment. It's probably the biggest gut punch delivered by broadcast TV -- I still remember being a little shocked when it happened.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

LividLiquid posted:

Didn't Art Vandelay start out as Art Corvelay?

Yeah, I think it was the episode with the other guy who played Jerry's dad.

George: "Art Core............ velay"

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

Jerry pretended to be bad at his job that one time to spite someone.

What's the deal with CANCER?

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Libandano Urfam posted:

What's the deal with CANCER?

Laughter is the best medicine!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
George: I guess the only thing I can do is to go into George Steinbrenners office and tell him that he has to give her a raise.
Jerry: How long has she been there?
George: 3 days.
Jerry: Thats almost a week.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

bobservo posted:

I've been slowly watching and rewatching the entire series over the past couple of months, and while I still like seasons 8 and 9, I really feel like season 7 could have been the perfect one to go out on. Up until that point, the show was largely an exploration of somewhat-normal people trying to cope with the minor hassles of existence, often revealing the dark (but often practical) undercurrent of humanity in the process.

A good portion of season 7 focused on George, who spends an entire year suffering under the shadow of his upcoming wedding date. What's obviously funny about the issue is that he could break things off so easily; he obviously hates Susan, and spends every waking moment devising ways for HER to break things off. But calling off an engagement may be the trickiest social situation Seinfeld presents, and George can't find a way to do it effectively (see the multiple conversations about break-ups during the show) without losing face. To me, this is when the show reached its logical conclusion, with George's inability to deal with this situation causing the death of Susan.

If you view the show in this light, the last few seasons are kind of tragic. Jerry's career goes nowhere (and even hits new lows), and the rest of the characters practically circle the bowl until the inevitable finale. Seasons 8 and 9 kind of took the characters out of the traditional Seinfeldian "elephant in the room" social situations, and instead reveled in their amorality, which really contrasts with Larry David's general philosophy.

I hope this made sense because it's been bouncing around in my head for weeks now. The show really has a different impact when you watch it sequentially as opposed to random syndicated episodes.

I think its an interesting point. At the beginning of Season 7, they precipitate sort of an endgame where both Jerry and George decide to actually settle down and grow up, which does seem like an eventual end to the show. But, both of them show that neither of them can make that step and that they can't live any other existence than the petty, aimless ones they've lived throughout the show. It was their one chance to change as people and they just barely fell short. Seasons 8&9 represent their slow decline until they get what's coming to them in the end.

Karl Rove fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 3, 2010

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah, I think it was the episode with the other guy who played Jerry's dad.

George: "Art Core............ velay"

And the first fake name was "Bert Harbinson" but they thought it sounded made up.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
I loathe you.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
You emit a foul and offensive odor.

Boner Magnet
Aug 11, 2002
:I
The funny thing is the record store owner is Saw.

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Why do they keep dressing up Julia Louis-Dreyfus in either Mennonite raiments or mens' blazers from the 70s in the beginning seasons? She's way too cute for;

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Why do they keep dressing up Julia Louis-Dreyfus in either Mennonite raiments or mens' blazers from the 70s in the beginning seasons? She's way too cute for;

Maybe I'm just a Mennonite at heart, but I kinda like that look.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Oh God, the dress was bad enough, but I just noticed the shoes! :gonk:

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

bobservo posted:

If you like that you really should watch Peep Show if you haven't already.

(Obviously spoilers since it's season 4 but it's comedy so who cares)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLf2HLmFBT8

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Jerry: Well, with so many people in the world deprived and unhappy, it doesn't
seem like it would be fair to be cheerful.

Cheryl: I understand.

Jerry reaches for the milk for his coffee.

Cheryl: I think it's curdled.

Jerry: I don't care.

Cheryl: Do you ever laugh?

Jerry: Not really. Sometimes, when I'm in the tub.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Cakebaker posted:

I always thought Mark Corrigan was a bit like a British George Costanza, although he's possibly even more deranged.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Cakebaker posted:

I'll check that out, thanks; I'm a big fan of dark humor.

Speaking of which, am I the only Seinfeld fan who's bored by Curb Your Enthusiasm? I've tried to get into it multiple times, but it just seems way too contrived -- and, strange as this may sound, Larry's problems don't seem all that pressing when he's got hundreds of millions of dollars.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack Bandit posted:

Jerry: Well, with so many people in the world deprived and unhappy, it doesn't
seem like it would be fair to be cheerful.

Cheryl: I understand.

Jerry reaches for the milk for his coffee.

Cheryl: I think it's curdled.

Jerry: I don't care.

Cheryl: Do you ever laugh?

Jerry: Not really. Sometimes, when I'm in the tub.

Kramer: I just took a bath, Jerry. A bath!

Jerry: No good?

Kramer: It's disgusting. I'm sitting there in a tepid pool of my own filth. All kinds of microscopic parasites and organisms having sex all around me.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Just saw this and its probably been posted before, but goddamn its so funny.

i just like conan's exaggerated jerry seinfeld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_oc_zlt48

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LesterGroans posted:

I love Jerry when he's playing the cunning trickster, egging George on or sitting back and watching things unfold. It plays to Seinfeld's strengths because he really just has to enjoy the others' misfortunate and being a second away from cracking up just adds to that. That's why his repeated "That's a shame" is one of my favourite lines.
That makes me realize something. Jerry is Bugs Bunny and George is Daffy Duck.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Welcome to the fashion of the early 90's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They actually talked about how they dressed Elaine more conservatively than other shows, but I'll be damned if I can remember which extra it was.