Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

The beginning of season 2 :colbert:

Actually, no the show is fine throughout, but I don't think it ever captured that sense of wonder and fascinating mystery found in season 1. Certain elements got introduced in season 2 that over time just made things more and more convoluted, resulting in the writing to focus more on the characters rather than intelligent suspense and mystery. Which is fine I guess if you really like the characters. Just don't hold onto any hope that you'll get any sort of satisfactory answers and go along for the ride.

Beginning of season 3 is universally considered kind of weak, though.

I actually thought Lost only really hit its stride about halfway through season 2, and didn't mind the first six eps of season 3, which are the ones that drove everyone crazy. I spent the first season and a half wondering whether they even really had a story to tell, and only really got into the show when it became clear that that was the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Biggy_ posted:

My Name is Earl

If you like the first couple of episodes of Earl and the tone of the show, keep watching. Seasons 1 and 2 are really good, Season three, however, has a big shift in the beginning, which was okay, but you're left hoping things would get back to normal. Right as it should be, there's another huge shift and the show is pretty bad for awhile.

I didn't watch Season 4 much but from what I heard it got better. For the most part the damage was done after season 3 and ratings never recovered.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I was kind of iffy on season 2 when it first aired, but it works a lot better on DVD. And season 3, even though it has a sloppy start, has the best finale of any of the seasons, if you go in unspoiled.

Feb 8, 2008
I didn't get into Lost until last summer, so I had 5 seasons to binge through. I think Lost is one of those shows that benefits from watching like it is one long rear end movie. It was a real pain to have to watch season 6 every week and then spend all week endlessly debating and reading about what was going to happen next. It is way more fun to just watch episode after episode.
As far as the ending goes: You will just have to make up your own mind. I will say, I was far more satisfied with the ending of Lost than I was with BSG.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

7734 posted:

BSG.

They should have just ended that poo poo after season 2. I've never done such a huge 180 on a series. (If anyone that hasn't watched BSG decides to try it out, I'd suggest just watching the first two seasons and pretending its over at that point.)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm currently tearing through Sons of Anarchy. The first three episodes of Season 1 encouraged me to order Season 2 on Blu-Ray, which just showed up last night...

After that, I have Cougar Town on standby, a bit of sugar after the whiskey of Sons.

Then, I have three seasons of a sketch comedy show my friend highly recommends, The Whitest Kids U Know. I'm a fan of sketch comedy, from Python to the Kids in the Hall, and he says these guys are pretty solid, if a bit raunchy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kekekela posted:

They should have just ended that poo poo after season 2. I've never done such a huge 180 on a series. (If anyone that hasn't watched BSG decides to try it out, I'd suggest just watching the first two seasons and pretending its over at that point.)

You need some unbelievable willpower to stop at the season 2 cliffhanger.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

You need some unbelievable willpower to stop at the season 2 cliffhanger.

Maybe I'm getting seasons confused, that was when they first discover Caprica right?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The new one.

Feb 8, 2008
That is the thing about BSG, I just could not stop watching to see what happens next. Then the end comes and its a huge :wtf:. So many plot points just left hanging and out of the blue decisions from the main characters that make absolutely no sense at all.. I like to think that if maybe it had a few more episodes at the end, the writers may have had time to flesh it out more. Who knows though, that show pretty much eliminated any faith I have left in TV sci-fi. At least Lost's unresolved plot issues were really not that important to the over all story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I haven't watched it since the end, but I remember really liking the second half of the fourth season, the last half-hour of the finale aside.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

7734 posted:

That is the thing about BSG, I just could not stop watching to see what happens next. Then the end comes and its a huge :wtf:. So many plot points just left hanging and out of the blue decisions from the main characters that make absolutely no sense at all.. I like to think that if maybe it had a few more episodes at the end, the writers may have had time to flesh it out more. Who knows though, that show pretty much eliminated any faith I have left in TV sci-fi. At least Lost's unresolved plot issues were really not that important to the over all story.

I knew when I read an interview with the producers bragging about their revolutionary approach of "Just deciding on the plot line as things went along instead of having an overarching idea from the beginning" that it was going to end up a horrible trainwreck of inconsistencies, deus ex and contrived bullshit. I was unable to look away in the crazy hope that they'd somehow pull it off though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kekekela posted:

I knew when I read an interview with the producers bragging about their revolutionary approach of "Just deciding on the plot line as things went along instead of having an overarching idea from the beginning" that it was going to end up a horrible trainwreck of inconsistencies, deus ex and contrived bullshit. I was unable to look away in the crazy hope that they'd somehow pull it off though.

"It's the characters, stupid"

Feb 8, 2008

Noxville posted:

"It's the characters, stupid"

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have Lee get fat for a handful of episodes and then just magically slim back down? I should have realized the writers were full of it after that point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fat Lee was the absolute pinnacle of BSG

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Who didn't love fat Lee?

I liked the show overall, but its quality varies wildly. I'd say the high points (New Caprica, the first season) outweigh the bad parts.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Just like Lost was a scifi show disguised as a drama, BSG was a show about hunting pigeons disguised as a scifi.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Kekekela posted:

You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't watch the first 4 episodes of season 3. Episode 4 is incredible.

The final montage in the series finale though? :barf:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ratatozsk posted:

You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't watch the first 4 episodes of season 3. Episode 4 is incredible.

The final montage in the series finale though? :barf:

I would go even a couple of eps past that, but yeah. After the whole New Caprica arc it just went downhill. I *liked* it all the way through, but that was the point where it went from "HOLY poo poo" to "yeah, okay".

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

7734 posted:

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have Lee get fat for a handful of episodes and then just magically slim back down?
He slimmed down after a treadmill session, though, great episode.

quote:

You're doing yourself a huge disservice if you don't watch the first 4 episodes of season 3.
Yeah, my timeline's probably off since I watched it several years ago, but pretty much this:

quote:

After the whole New Caprica arc it just went downhill.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I also liked Lost all the way through but didn't like the very, very end. Here's my idea of how to fix it, though. DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ENDING SPOILED FFS.

After you go through all of those reunions and everybody moves onto the afterlife, go back to show what happened to those people in the real world.

Charlie floating in the water...

Jin and Sun floating in the sub...

Ji Yeon grows up without ever knowing her parents...

Bits of Sayid being eaten by jellyfish...

etc., etc., etc.

And then the last scene is just Lindelof and Cuse giving you the finger for five straight minutes.

:q:

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 3, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
BSG was fine. It would have definitely benefited if the story had been plotted out from day one rather than Ronald Moore making poo poo up as he went (the exact same loving thing that happened to Lost), but other than the over abundance of stand alone episodes in the middle of season 3 the story was always very interesting and consistently grounded in its own weird reality and rules, something you couldn't say the same of Lost. I also enjoyed the ending far more than Lost's.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
basically if you're going to watch BSG don't pay any attention to people who are like "don't watch season 3" or "skip episode x" and just make your own opinions about it. the worst that could happen is you waste a few hours of your life.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Fag Boy Jim posted:

basically if you're going to watch BSG don't pay any attention to people who are like "don't watch season 3" or "skip episode x" and just make your own opinions about it. the worst that could happen is you waste a few hours of your life.

Yeah, I think I probably shouldn't have asked about Lost. I'll just forget everyone's responses and watch the show and make my own opinions about it. Thanks for the quick replies, though, guys.

BSG, on the other hand... I still haven't seen the last ten episodes, because I didn't catch them when they were on and then I read about how much everyone hates the ending, so I'm afraid to go on.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Yeah, I think I probably shouldn't have asked about Lost. I'll just forget everyone's responses and watch the show and make my own opinions about it. Thanks for the quick replies, though, guys.

BSG, on the other hand... I still haven't seen the last ten episodes, because I didn't catch them when they were on and then I read about how much everyone hates the ending, so I'm afraid to go on.

A bunch of those last ten episodes were pretty good. You might be better off just never watching the finale though. What happens to Starbuck literally insulted my intelligence.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The BSG finale is really good except for like the last two minutes which is essentially a tangential epilogue. And the arc right before the ending arc is among the best of the series.

Fermata Forever
Feb 3, 2005
Child prostitution isn't so bad if the child is okay with it, guys

jeffersonlives posted:

The BSG finale is really good except for like the last two minutes which is essentially a tangential epilogue. And the arc right before the ending arc is among the best of the series.

As far as I'm concerned, BSG peaked with the revelation of the Final Four (minus the fifth), and the first, AMAZING time we heard All Along The Watchtower. The last season seemed kind of random and unsatisfying. For how much I loved the first few seasons, I was surprised by how indifferent I was by the end.

Have there been any good sci-fi shows that maintained a consistently high level throughout? For me, the only thing that would qualify would be Firefly, which was canceled...

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is true, I guess I shouldn't say "don't watch the last 2 seasons" and just leave it at "I thought this series started off as the best thing ever and then went off of a cliff", but form your own opinions.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Fermata Forever posted:

Have there been any good sci-fi shows that maintained a consistently high level throughout? For me, the only thing that would qualify would be Firefly, which was canceled...

Firefly's weird though, because by most qualitative standards it's really not that good - it's badly directed (especially when Whedon is behind the camera), manages to become repetitive in 13 episodes (there are two episodes in a row that end with a slow motion poignant funeral), and much of it comes across as hackneyed. Nevertheless, it's still one of the best shows I've ever seen and I feel sad whenever I think about its cancellation.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

The beginning of season 2 :colbert:

Having just begun season 2, I have to agree. It just looks like they forgot how to write and direct the show over the hiatus. With the Mike/Sawyer scenes on the rafts, it seems as though they didn't bother writing or directing at all - the actors have no idea what's meant to be happening and just make faces. Can't believe the qualitative difference in just three episodes.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Fermata Forever posted:

As far as I'm concerned, BSG peaked with the revelation of the Final Four (minus the fifth), and the first, AMAZING time we heard All Along The Watchtower. The last season seemed kind of random and unsatisfying. For how much I loved the first few seasons, I was surprised by how indifferent I was by the end.

Yeah pretty much. It would have ended really well on that final montage/song with a few changes to the plot of that episode, and no fifth. The ship takeover were two really good episodes though.

I binged through Deadwood, it was amazing. Why are so many amazing shows cancelled. TV execs really don't have souls.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just finished The Wire last night. Holy poo poo, what a good show.

But I was halfway through season 4 before I realized Snoop was a girl. :downs:

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

But I was halfway through season 4 before I realized Snoop was a girl. :downs:

It took me until a year after watching the series to find that out for some reason :(

And I'm binging through Top Gear, why hadn't I heard about this show before?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RoryGilmore posted:

It took me until a year after watching the series to find that out for some reason :(

I only realized when one of the other characters referred to her offhandedly as "she", and my first response was "lol he called Snoop 'she', he's about to get his rear end kicked". Then I checked IMDB and felt really stupid.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

On the subject of Lost vs BSG, I loved Lost until the break between season 5 and 6 when I plowed through BSG. At that point I pretty much just refused to watch season 6 of Lost and have yet to. Everybody says that you have to watch it all at once but quite frankly after watching 3 seasons of it week to week and having to deal with the frustration of the writers very clearly not knowing (or even really giving a visible poo poo) about where their show was going, I just can't care anymore. BSG at least felt like everything was tying in. (Tighing in, hur hur)

I'm on Breaking Bad right now, just finished season 2 and it's already one of my favorite shows. I love books and shows where something is always happening and it feels like Breaking Bad just manages to outdo itself every single time. That said, my favorite scene is still the very beginning of episode 4, where Walter is telling Jesse about how he wants no part of the dealing, then it cuts to his newly formed persona walking away from a destroyed building holding a huge bag of money. Yeah, yeah, the "you can't make me" cliche, but drat they pulled it off.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Fermata Forever posted:

As far as I'm concerned, BSG peaked with the revelation of the Final Four (minus the fifth), and the first, AMAZING time we heard All Along The Watchtower.

God, that cover was so bad, and the reason they heard that out of any song was just lame and unnecessary. But then again BSG as a whole is like that, so.

Anyhoo, speaking of bad music choices, just finished watching "Two Cathedrals", which even as a non-American, was pretty loving well put together, except for the dumb electric 80s guitar solo going over everything. Still, it was good to see how Bartlett became Bartlett.

e: welp, apparently it's a Dire Straights song, so haha.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 8, 2010

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was by Dire Straits and I thought the music was perfect.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

SaviourX posted:

Still, it was good to see how Bartlett became Bartlett.

You're only two-thirds (well, three-quarters since In the Shadow of Two Gunman was a double episode) of the way through the holy trinity of how Bartlet became Bartlet flashback episodes, and in some ways Bartlet for America is the best.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Currently binging Entourage, and on the late 2nd season. I went into this knowing:
1.) It's pretty much about douchebags that hardly anything bad ever happens to.*
2.) It's apparently Mark Wahlberg's life, but Mark Wahlberg didn't want to do a docu-style show with cameras following him around.

It's loving great. Ari Gold is my absolute favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Just finished season one of How I met your Mother. Loved it, wish I had gotten on this earlier.