Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I'm going to be hitting up the Point Grey Urban Yarns tomorrow morning! I have an interview in the area. So, if you're working Drei, I'll be the nerdy redheaded girl awkwardly touching various yarns, and picking up my Kaffe ticket.

ETA: Oh no! Top of the page. I must post something yarny!

Here is a pic of the jackalope (named Jack A. Lope) that I sent to goldirocks for the crochet exchange: (don't worry, she's already received it)

Scooty Puff Jr. fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Noooo tomorrow's my day off! But hopefully by the time you get there they'll have had time to unpack and price the bajillion boxes of new stuff we got in and you'll have lots of lovely things to look at/squeeze.

(Holy cow that jackalope is amazing.)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Seconding the amazingness of the jackalope. Fantastic job. Whoever got that is so lucky.

Etoniichuan
Oct 27, 2005

I just finished a pair of socks. It was my first pair actually knitted on size 0 needles, instead of worsted weight on size 5 needles. I suspect there are more friggin sts in a pair of socks then there are in a sweater.

My next project is going to be a baby viking hat

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cy_keSmXS_s/ShYdFpMLgII/AAAAAAAACvU/A7zCQA3zQBw/s1600-h/viking2-300x295.jpg

Since babies grow so fast I don't want to use super expensive yarn, and I want to use something that can easily wash well and pick up baby drool. Any recommendations on type of yarn?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Congratulations! They look lovely.

I might disagree, because socks average 20,000 stitches (according to the Pearl-McPhee, and it sounds about right to me), but I'm knitting a rather large cardigan stranded in fingering weight.

And that's a lot more than 20,000 stitches.

If you want to use superwash wool, see if they know whether the baby is allergic to wool. (Lucky me, the only baby I'd consider knitting for is a toddler now, and not allergic.) Acrylic is a good baby yarn (and my allergy to it seems to be not as common as a wool allergy). Cotton is also a good thing, and I think it's marginally warmer than acrylic. I don't have any specific brands, but KnitPicks has cheap and lovely superwash.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
I'm seconding acrylic baby yarn because my boyfriends family are prone to having a wool allergy and so I make sure to avoid using wool.
With the viking pattern i'd suggest just getting some cheap acrylic wool as opposed to branded baby wool because they don't really make baby wool in black. Stupid wool companies discriminating against the goths :( Just go to your local yarn store and try and find a nice feeling acrylic, it shouldn't pose any real washing problems either.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
I made my first pair of socks!

Overall, I'm pleased with how they turned out, but when I did the heel I got some holes in it. I couldn't figure out how to stop them from happening, so there they are.

Also, I made two hats for friends recently (Totoro and an octopus) but don't have any pictures. I'll ask them to take some!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I should really get some socks started before winter.

General sock question: When it snows here I usually only wear my usual tennis shoes so my (standard cotton Hanes) socks tend to get soaked, and subsequently shredded. What material would be best to help prevent this in a knit sock? Or should I just invest in some boots?

I picked up my afghan today and realised if I only did one row a day for the whole year it'd be done by now. Of course one row takes me between 5 and 15 minutes depending on how distracted I am (and I usually am). So I'm resolving to do at least 10 rows a week, two per weekday and pick up what I missed on the weekends, and hopefully I should finish it by Thanksgiving or so.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Roflex posted:

General sock question: When it snows here I usually only wear my usual tennis shoes so my (standard cotton Hanes) socks tend to get soaked, and subsequently shredded. What material would be best to help prevent this in a knit sock? Or should I just invest in some boots?

I don't know about you, but as someone who wears boots all year round (and has her sexuality questioned constantly for it) I find that boots are not kind to any type of socks in the least.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I don't know about you, but as someone who wears boots all year round (and has her sexuality questioned constantly for it) I find that boots are not kind to any type of socks in the least.

I was thinking more of the thinner slipover kind, just for the sake of waterproofness.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Roflex posted:

I should really get some socks started before winter.

I will only wear tennis shoes in winter (and we do have snow here) if I'm wearing handknit socks. Wool is amazing for keeping your feet feeling dry and warm. They also seem to withstand it a lot better than the cotton socks.

Boots shred socks. I lose more pairs of socks to my Docs than I ever do to wet feet from snow. If I wear wool socks in my boots, I always put a protective cotton layer on over so that they don't get ruined. There are sock yarns out there that wear like iron, but I haven't personally used any of them, so I'd be hesitant to recommend any.

Robin Sparkles posted:

Overall, I'm pleased with how they turned out, but when I did the heel I got some holes in it. I couldn't figure out how to stop them from happening, so there they are.

One thing you could try to do is pick up a few stitches around the heel once you've finished and start to knit in the round again, and decrease them away later.

I've nearly eliminated holes in my own sock heels, but I also do short rows with yarn overs instead of wrap and turn, and so a lot of how I do it relies on that. If you're interested, I could try explaining how it works.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

FelicityGS posted:

One thing you could try to do is pick up a few stitches around the heel once you've finished and start to knit in the round again, and decrease them away later.

I've nearly eliminated holes in my own sock heels, but I also do short rows with yarn overs instead of wrap and turn, and so a lot of how I do it relies on that. If you're interested, I could try explaining how it works.

If it isn't a problem, I'd love to know how it works. I have another sock for my grandmother to do and the holes are so much bigger in that one.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

When you start, don't use the first and last stitch for short rows. Your first yarn over, therefore, will be just before the last stitch on that row; the second will be just before the last stitch on that row.

This tutorial is really clear on how short rows with yarn overs work--Short Rows . The only difference I would suggest is that, to make it look neater, use a knit 2 together through back when you are on the right side of the work instead of a plain k2tog.

Once you finish off the short rows, and are ready to start knitting in the round, make 1 stitch both left and right (knit right loop and knit left loop here). Make sure to do the same when you get to the last stitch of the instep and first stitch of heel on the other side.

Then just remember to decrease four stitches total on the next round or so.

Hopefully that all made sense!

It looks like you're using a plain short row heel, which doesn't have lots of extra room, making holes bigger despite what you'd want. You could try adding stitches before the heel, and then decreasing them after.

---

ETA:

Pictures of my snazzy new socks I finished. :3:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

The pattern is "Ruby Slippers" from Think Outside the Sox. I adored knitting it, even if it did take me a few months to finally get them finished.

felgs fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 6, 2010

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I really wish this magazine wasn't so hard to find :(

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/burda-special-e-903-gestrickte-spitzen

I really want the pattern for the Schneeglöckchen Fensterbild and the Mitteldecke mit Blüten im Erbstüllgrund. ebay has failed me :(

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So that afghan.

100 rows.

120 to go.

That ball on the right is the last existing sample of that color...IN THE WORLD.

So it's Red Heart Super Saver, so what? Apparently they permanently discontinued that color eleven years ago (about when I started this monstrosity) and that middle skein was the closest thing (in a similar weight*) I could find in all of four Michaels, a JoAnn, and 3 local shops (and by "local" I mean I drove about 80 miles in the last 2 days). There is absolutely nothing that matches that color anywhere.

*And it's a lighter weight anyway.

My other choice is that on the left, I probably have enough of it to finish it up, and since I'm basically at the halfway point, using it for the second half wouldn't be too bad. My other other choice is a goldenrod which I have about 3 pounds of for some reason. I intend to keep alternating 20 rows of white between 20 rows of whatever I choose.

I have about enough left to do 2-3 rows.

I need to do either 60 or 80.

(I don't think the white is going to hold out for the 60 or 80 of that I need it to do, but they still make white. I think.)

If anyone's got about a pound of what red heart used to call "coffee" (what they call "coffee" now is a darker-than-brown brown) I'll gladly take it off your hands (when I have money again, that is. That 4.5oz of nearly-the-right-color cost $4, and that was after a 40% off coupon. For acrylic).

I'm just frustrated right now.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I do not; they do, however, make white. I use it for my crochet amigurumis.

Best of luck with finishing! You can do it!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well I just did what I should've done before and looked up Red Heart's color selection. It looks like it's #336 - Warm Brown, but I called around and nothing within 100 miles stocks it. I'd order it online but I can't be 100% sure it's the same without looking at it in person (even the different photos I've taken of it tend to be wildly varying in color). Of course since I bought it a decade ago I don't have the band, so I can't check that either.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You could check on Ravlery, lots of people have yarn they're willing to trade or sell off or whatever, it's entirely possible that someone has that same color and even lot number lying in the back of their closet or something.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Roflex posted:

Well I just did what I should've done before and looked up Red Heart's color selection. It looks like it's #336 - Warm Brown, but I called around and nothing within 100 miles stocks it. I'd order it online but I can't be 100% sure it's the same without looking at it in person (even the different photos I've taken of it tend to be wildly varying in color). Of course since I bought it a decade ago I don't have the band, so I can't check that either.

I work at a Hobby Lobby, and I think Warm Brown is one of the colors that I stock, I can check it out and report back! How many more do you need? Don't get too excited, it may have been one of the colors that got deleted in the last reset, I can't remember right now.

Edit: Ah poo poo I may have spoken too soon, according to our website we only carry Cafe, now Warm Brown, I can ask my fellow crocheters at work and see if anybody's got a couple skeins. Just lemme know whatcha need, I'm like a yarn junkie peddling my wares.

CureMinorWounds fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 9, 2010

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Cafe's one of those colors that, at first, looks "close-but-not-quite", but in the right light you can tell it's way too pale. In the 3rd picture it's closest to the skein on the left.

On another note, I'm getting screwed simultaneously by my bank and my old car insurance company so I need to raise some cash. A while back I did a couple mid-size "wall hangings" of videogame icons/sprites (about 6x6 inches) but gave them away instead of selling them. I don't have a pic of any of those but here's a sample I did, much smaller and unblocked:

For something around 6x6 inches what would be a good price to sell them for? I can knock out 2-3 a day if I have the colors I need (right now I have a surplus of goldenrod and red, not sure what I can make out of those) and I basically need to raise around $100 by Monday so would the $15-20 range be reasonable? I'll post an SA-Mart thread when I get a couple done but I'd like to figure out a good going rate first.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Holy poo poo I made a thumb gusset.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Finished my first art...thing.

Didn't have any black so it's missing some details but I've got an idea of what I'm doing now. (It might not be the right idea, but it's an idea.)

Basically I took this and put a grid on top of it in Inkscape, then picked appropriate colors to use for each stitch. After that was done I pinned it down to some cardboard and ran some extra yarn through with a needle. I think next time I'll add a couple extra stitches of border so I can wrap it entirely around the cardboard, not leaving any exposed on the front, and carry some colors less often in favor of just leaving an extra strand dangling (in this case, the white around the sides of the logo) so there's less horizontal pulling. And the next one's going to take place on smaller needles (this was done on 9s, I have 5s and 3s) so it's a bit denser and less hole-y.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Roflex posted:

That ball on the right is the last existing sample of that color...IN THE WORLD.

I know this will sound stupid, but have you looked on Flickr for images of stash yarns? I was contacted last summer by a woman who wanted to pay any price for a particular yarn to finish a project, and wondered if I had any left. I had three full skeins that I was looking to offload for months, so it was a win-win.

If the other options above happen to fail you, give it a shot.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I think I broke something in my brain with the whole 'craft fair' thing.

For the past week I've been doing nothing but working on scarves. I've already made five while watching TV/movies. The problem is I should be working on my brother's birthday gift and Christmas presents, and yet here I am making another scarf.

Guys, I have a problem. :ohdear:

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
My friend mentioned this place to me today, since my boyfriend lives in San Francisco (and I may be moving there next year). Hooooooly poo poo, since I got my job at a yarn store I don't usually get excited about going yarn shopping, but I now have more than one reason to be excited about my next visit to CA.

Anyone worked with Artfiber yarns before?

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Those socks I just showed in my last post?

I... accidentally felted them.

I forgot to take them out of my dirty clothes pile and my mom grabbed it and.. yeah well. Hopefully I can find a 5 year old who would wear them. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Robin Sparkles posted:

Those socks I just showed in my last post?

I... accidentally felted them.

I forgot to take them out of my dirty clothes pile and my mom grabbed it and.. yeah well. Hopefully I can find a 5 year old who would wear them. :(

Knit them a fuzzy white cuff and tada! Mimi Christmas stockings! :3:

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Knit them a fuzzy white cuff and tada! Mimi Christmas stockings! :3:

Haha not a bad idea. I think I have someone in mind to take them. I do want to knit another pair, so I might order some of the Patons SWS from the site. Maybe a different colour this time! Oh well, live and learn right?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Robin Sparkles posted:

Haha not a bad idea. I think I have someone in mind to take them. I do want to knit another pair, so I might order some of the Patons SWS from the site. Maybe a different colour this time! Oh well, live and learn right?

If there's one thing I've learned is that you can always find something to do with failed projects.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
And this is why I cannot imagine making socks in something that isn't superwash. I haven't even done it yet and that thought terrifies me.

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I'm so proud! I completed my first glove of the "Dashing" set from Knitty: Spring 2007. I have a question though, I was really pleased with how the thumb came out, though I was sweating bullets the whole time, its....not really loose, but I had some largeish gaps on the top and bottom where I had to pick up and knit a few stitches. Now I just grabbed what looked reasonable and knitted it, how are you really supposed to do it? Is there something I'm supposed to be looking for when I pick them up?

(I kinda fixed it by using my tail yarn from the inside to sew it closed after I was finished, and then wove the ends in a little further and called it good.)

I am still kind of a novice knitter, this is the first project that had a vaguely complex pattern, I tried it out cause I just finished making up a pattern for a cabled headband and am completely in love with cables right now.

sakana
Feb 9, 2003

What the fuck is up with all those chicken strips?
I don't know why I've never posted in this thread before.

I've only recently graduated from very basic garter and stockinette to more complicated patterns thanks to the Learn to Knit Afghan project, which is currently on hold while I make a baby blanket for a friend who's going to pop one out. Why do babies have to come on a schedule? Why can't they just conform to my knitting? :mad:

I have a Ravelry account under username sadaye, and I just found the goon group which I'm going to be joining.

EDIT:

CureMinorWounds posted:

I'm so proud! I completed my first glove of the "Dashing" set from Knitty: Spring 2007

I am still kind of a novice knitter, this is the first project that had a vaguely complex pattern, I tried it out cause I just finished making up a pattern for a cabled headband and am completely in love with cables right now.

...Diana, is that you?

sakana fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 13, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

And this is why I cannot imagine making socks in something that isn't superwash. I haven't even done it yet and that thought terrifies me.

Unless someone requests it I knit my hats/mittens in superwash too. I lost an awesome hat due to it falling into my laundry basket.

But I gained a felted dice bag, so it worked out somehow?

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

sakana posted:

I don't know why I've never posted in this thread before.

I've only recently graduated from very basic garter and stockinette to more complicated patterns thanks to the Learn to Knit Afghan project, which is currently on hold while I make a baby blanket for a friend who's going to pop one out. Why do babies have to come on a schedule? Why can't they just conform to my knitting? :mad:

I have a Ravelry account under username sadaye, and I just found the goon group which I'm going to be joining.

EDIT:

...Diana, is that you?

No, unfortunately not, sorry. I'm CureMinorWounds on Ravelry too though, if you wanna be friends!

sakana
Feb 9, 2003

What the fuck is up with all those chicken strips?

CureMinorWounds posted:

No, unfortunately not, sorry. I'm CureMinorWounds on Ravelry too though, if you wanna be friends!

I'll happily be Ravelry friends with you! :D

It's just sort of weird, because I have a friend who was working on the exact same project in a super cute eggplant colored yarn.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Unless someone requests it I knit my hats/mittens in superwash too. I lost an awesome hat due to it falling into my laundry basket.

But I gained a felted dice bag, so it worked out somehow?

Well, those mitts I made are definitely Kureyon (which is surprisingly not all that awful to wear, I thought I'd think it was itchier) and I definitely made a beret in a feltable wool but I trust myself to hand wash pretty much any of my knit projects. However, with something like socks I'm afraid I'd simply felt them with wear in this kind of weather.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
I make socks out of non-superwash and wash them separately in the sink with wool wash.

unfortunately when i knit my boyfriend socks he insists on picking the fanciest least-washable yarn ever (like misti alpaca tonos), and when i told him that meant he had to hand wash them, he took that to mean "hand wash them or don't wash them"

guess which one he picked. :cry:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I'm just really afraid of snow + shoes + feet = agitation + moisture + non-superwash wool = FELT SOCKS.

Superwash or bust. :colbert:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

CureMinorWounds posted:

...not really loose, but I had some largeish gaps on the top and bottom where I had to pick up and knit a few stitches. Now I just grabbed what looked reasonable and knitted it, how are you really supposed to do it? Is there something I'm supposed to be looking for when I pick them up?

(I kinda fixed it by using my tail yarn from the inside to sew it closed after I was finished, and then wove the ends in a little further and called it good.)

To answer this, using the tail to close the gaps a bit is one of the ways to fix it. You can also try picking up extra stitches where you know holes will form, and decrease them later. It's a pretty common problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

FelicityGS posted:

To answer this, using the tail to close the gaps a bit is one of the ways to fix it. You can also try picking up extra stitches where you know holes will form, and decrease them later. It's a pretty common problem.

Thank you, I'm glad the way I did it was a reasonable way to fix it. Working on the other glove this afternoon while I'm waiting for my turn to get a haircut.