Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
It seems that 7 changed the way that Windows interacts with KVM switches and expects them to pass back a lot of information that older/cheaper ones don't. I've some problems and appreciate it if anyone has any input/solutions, goggle returns a lot of hits related to resolution/EDID problems but that is not my issue.

I have several machines connected to an Adder View GEM KVM, all work fine. I want to add my laptop which means using a PS/2 to USB adaptor for the mouse/keyboard. I've done this before and it works but not with Win 7. When I switch back to the laptop Windows no longer acknowledges the keyboard and the mouse is erratic, even the act of just moving it will make windows think the mouse buttons have been clicked/etc. All the other machines still work fine and using a different OS on the laptop also works fine.

Device manager shows the keyboard/mouse as "HID-compliant" devices but I can't seem to find a way to reset their status. I can disable and re-enable the mouse or delete it and scan for new hardware but this makes no difference. I'd give up if the issue was a video problem but it seems strange can't sort out a keyboard/mouse issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
iTunes 10 stuck a Quicktime shortcut to the top of my start menu and IT WILL NOT GO AWAY. "Remove from this list" does nothing. loving Apple. Any ideas?

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

mcsuede posted:

iTunes 10 stuck a Quicktime shortcut to the top of my start menu and IT WILL NOT GO AWAY. "Remove from this list" does nothing. loving Apple. Any ideas?

Do you have an option to "Unpin from Start Menu"?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

MutantBlue posted:

Do you have an option to "Unpin from Start Menu"?

Nope.

Open
Remove from this list
Properties

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

mcsuede posted:

Nope.

Open
Remove from this list
Properties

Is just hanging out at the top of the recently used programs lists? Or is it actually pinned? If the latter, you might be able to delete it from here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I think the OP covered this, but I want to make sure that I'm understanding it correctly.

At work, we have about 15 users on laptops that are running various mixes of Vista Home, Vista Business, and 7 Home. If I want to upgrade everyone to 7 Pro, I can't simply buy OEM copies of Win7 Pro and install that on the laptops, can I? I have to buy the upgrade versions, right?

(Which are significantly more expensive, and more of a pain in the rear end as I have to hang onto the boxes rather then just putting the sticker on the bottom of the unit)

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

smallmouth posted:

Is just hanging out at the top of the recently used programs lists? Or is it actually pinned? If the latter, you might be able to delete it from here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

The former :/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mcsuede posted:

The former :/

If it's hanging out there, it's because you use it a lot...

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

That kind of stuff is why I just turn off the recently used programs list and pin anything I'm interested in.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got an old Linksys wireless G card (WMP54G V4.0) that I had running on Windows 7 on an old 250gb pata hard drive..I just upgraded to a 1.5TB SATA hard drive and I did a clean install of Windows 7 pro. Problem is, I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get this card to work with Windows 7 since Linksys doesn't officially support it. Is there a way to plug my old drive back in, boot off of it, and pull the drivers off of that? I can't seem to find the driver install exe that I used to get it up and running in the first place.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got an old Linksys wireless G card (WMP54G V4.0) that I had running on Windows 7 on an old 250gb pata hard drive..I just upgraded to a 1.5TB SATA hard drive and I did a clean install of Windows 7 pro. Problem is, I had to jump through a ton of hoops to get this card to work with Windows 7 since Linksys doesn't officially support it. Is there a way to plug my old drive back in, boot off of it, and pull the drivers off of that? I can't seem to find the driver install exe that I used to get it up and running in the first place.

Based off my Googling, that card uses the Ralink RT2500 chipset. It might be worth trying the Vista drivers here.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

Based off my Googling, that card uses the Ralink RT2500 chipset. It might be worth trying the Vista drivers here.

The worst part is, I know it's an Ralink chipset, and I know I got some sort of Ralink drivers..but nothing from their website works. I even found an RA2500.sys file in my drivers folder on the old hard drive. Windows keeps saying it cant find any drivers for the thing even when I direct it straight to the folder.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

The worst part is, I know it's an Ralink chipset, and I know I got some sort of Ralink drivers..but nothing from their website works. I even found an RA2500.sys file in my drivers folder on the old hard drive. Windows keeps saying it cant find any drivers for the thing even when I direct it straight to the folder.

Try one of the drivers linked here, maybe?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

Try one of the drivers linked here, maybe?

This worked, thanks! It took several hours of fiddling, but eventually it recognized the card as a Conceptronic wireless card...who knows.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How do I access windows journal? Since I have windows 7 pro, Wikipedia says that I should have it, but I can't find it.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
All programs -> Accessories -> Tablet PC

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Marinmo posted:

Thanks! Just got a tablet and I wanted to see if note taking would be practical.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Marinmo posted:

Or just type 'journal' in the start menu search.

superunknown
Jul 11, 2001

If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?
This:

is completely idiotic. How do I get rid of the redundant My Documents folder there? Disabling libraries removes the menus completely.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why don't my hard drives go to sleep? The computer's idling for god knows how long, there shouldn't be any activity, yet they're still going after passing the time-out. At least one disk's always in idle self-test mode.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

superunknown posted:

This:

is completely idiotic. How do I get rid of the redundant My Documents folder there? Disabling libraries removes the menus completely.
I don't think you can, since computers with multiple users are going to have a "public documents" directory there as well.

205b
Mar 25, 2007

superunknown posted:

This:

If you only want your personal documents folder there, rather than everything in the documents library, disable libraries and enable the my documents folder.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2014

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Slopehead posted:

Hi gentlemen. I am having an issue where when I get a message from AIM it steals focus from any fullscreen game I am playing. This is causing metro 2033 to crash and it is causing me much distress. How do I fix this post-haste.

Many thanks.

Oh holy jesus crap fart, AIM is still doing that steal-focus-from-absolutely-anything bullshit? What version are you using? If it's the latest and... ahem, "greatest," switch to a 3rd party client.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 6, 2010

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Oh holy jesus crap fart, AIM is still doing that poo poo? What version are you using?

Lots of things still do this.

The shiny new Trillian 5 (August 2010 builds) will pop up request windows on top of anything else, loving up some games royally (especially older games, and/or games ran at a low resolution).

The notification window will pop up on top of the game, never go away (it doesn't time out or anything), and of course will minimize the game (possibly crashing it) if you click the "X" on the window to try and make it go away.

The beauty is that there is no way to turn off this "feature". Disabling "Notifications" in options has no effect on these types of notifications (permissions to add you as a friend).

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Pidgin supremacy.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

LooseChanj posted:

Pidgin supremacy.

Or Digsby.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Slopehead posted:

Hi gentlemen. I am having an issue where when I get a message from AIM it steals focus from any fullscreen game I am playing. This is causing metro 2033 to crash and it is causing me much distress. How do I fix this post-haste.

Many thanks.

What version do you use? I'm still using 5.9 and you can just set yourself as away, then tick the "Hide windows" box or whatever.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2014

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Slopehead posted:

I used AIM Lite for a long time and it didn't do this. I changed over to the latest version of full AIM about 3 weeks ago so I could have formatting options (embedded hyperlinks and buddy icons) not to mention my hope that there was some way to increase the readable font size.

Mega bummer gentlemen. Mega Bummer.

Sorry man, any AIM beyond 5.x is pretty terrible all-around :(

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

-Greta Garbo

fishmech posted:

If it's hanging out there, it's because you use it a lot...

Dude I'm not an idiot, I know how that menu works. This isn't that. I *never* use Quicktime, it appeared there after the itunes 10 update. In fact I have nothing else in that menu as I don't us that feature and have it turned off. It's not pinned, it's not frequently used, it's a bug and I can't kill it. :/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mcsuede posted:

Dude I'm not an idiot, I know how that menu works. This isn't that. I *never* use Quicktime, it appeared there after the itunes 10 update. In fact I have nothing else in that menu as I don't us that feature and have it turned off. It's not pinned, it's not frequently used, it's a bug and I can't kill it. :/

Try turning the feature on, and see if you can remove it then.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ive been trying to google this and I can't find anything. Im trying to get some pricing on upgrading XP to Win7 for a business. I found something at MS but it doesn't reveal any pricing options (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/mla/product.aspx).

Any other options available to me?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Slopehead posted:

I used AIM Lite for a long time and it didn't do this. I changed over to the latest version of full AIM about 3 weeks ago so I could have formatting options (embedded hyperlinks and buddy icons) not to mention my hope that there was some way to increase the readable font size.

Mega bummer gentlemen. Mega Bummer.
I'm super disappointed that AIM Lite has been abandoned. I've switched to Pidgin since, but worked hard to making the interface as much like LAIM as humanly possible. I need to find where it stores its icons (status/mobile/etc) and replace them all with 1 pixel transparent or white images.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Even though journal is supposed to be optimized for tablets, it lags when I try to grab and scroll as opposed to just using the scrollbar. Does anyone else have this problem?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
How do I keep the network I connect to from installing programs on my computer?

I hooked up my laptop to my school network and it apparently silently installed "Sophos Protection" even though I have nod32 :<

This makes me upset.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Aunt Beth posted:

I'm super disappointed that AIM Lite has been abandoned. I've switched to Pidgin since, but worked hard to making the interface as much like LAIM as humanly possible. I need to find where it stores its icons (status/mobile/etc) and replace them all with 1 pixel transparent or white images.

I finally switched over to trillian from aim lite. the astra login stuff is pretty painless and doesn't even require a confirmation. just used a throwaway email, no harm done.

Hung Yuri posted:

I hooked up my laptop to my school network and it apparently silently installed "Sophos Protection" even though I have nod32 :<

This makes me upset.

maybe your school will allow you to connect through vpn?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Hung Yuri posted:

This makes me upset.

Are you talking about Active Directory Group Policies pushing software to your system?

If not, you're describing a major fuckup in your computer's security. You need to fix that ASAP.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm talking about, logging onto the network (specifically the secure wireless) of my college, results in either norton or Sophos Protection silently installing itself and blocking me from uninstalling it from my computer saying I don't have permission to uninstall it (even as admin on the computer).

I asked the help desk at my school and they said "we can input the password to uninstall it (w/r/t Norton) but it will reinstall anytime you connect to the network".

I understand them trying to protect themselves, but I have nod32, and I was contemplating installing eset instead on my laptop. I'm pretty sure that's good enough, or better than their no name crap.

I was kind of hoping installing windows 7 on my system and turning on UAC to max so I could stop it from installing itself, but I don't even know if that would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Hung Yuri posted:

I'm talking about, logging onto the network (specifically the secure wireless) of my college, results in either norton or Sophos Protection silently installing itself and blocking me from uninstalling it from my computer saying I don't have permission to uninstall it (even as admin on the computer).

How the hell is that even possible? Unless you're running XP I can't see that happening if you have UAC and DEP enabled on a Win7 machine.