Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Gerblyn posted:

I answered this a week or so ago:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=145#post381311532

Another thing that occurred to me is that you shouldn't sell any Garnets you come across in your travels You need a bunch of them for a side quest from the inn keeper in Denerim

Ah, thanks. It's a big thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Any advice for The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Brother Entropy posted:

Any good advice about Chrono Cross?

(yes, I know that it apparently shits on the plot of Chrono Trigger or something like that, but I'm not super attached to that game's story, so it probably won't bother me)

I did this one a while back, give me a sec to find the post. Here you go.

Alris posted:

Turn down Kid's request to join your group until after you get Serge's girlfriend in there (shouldn't be too far into the game).

When you find a character that is able to steal, keep them in your party and never let them leave. Make drat sure that you have them steal armour off of any mid-late game Dragon bosses.

There will come a point in the game where you can opt to help out a poisoned teammate or continue the quest. Your decision doesn't have any long term consequences apart from a small difference in potential party recruits. Overall, you're probably better of not getting the poison antidote, as that set of recruits is stronger.

There is one other point in the game where you have to make a choice that will lock out certain characters, and that is when you need to pick one out of three potential recruits. It is fairly early in the game, and clearly telegraphed. If I remember correctly, the wizard recruit has an elemental affinity that is rare at that point, but it's not a huge deal which you eventually opt for. Edit: Of the three, the dancer is the most relevant to the plot. It may have some bearing on your decision.

Don't think too hard about the story. The developers didn't either.

Also, The Dark Id is doing a run through of the game over in Let's Play. It's good for a laugh if you feel like playing along.

Alris fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 2, 2010

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Actually it's that LP that got me interested in trying it for myself.

Is that choice that locks out some characters you mention the one with the rock star, the mage, and the french guy or something later on?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Yes, you get a choice between a rockstar, mage and french dude. Picking one locks out the other two for the rest of the game.

The decision regarding the poison nets you three characters, but locks out the three from the alternate path. The LP is currently a little past this point, if you've been reading.

Getting the poison antidote: A fantastic mage and two terrible characters
Not getting the antidote: A fantastic fighter and two decent/slightly above average characters

The reason people say don't get the poison is because the fighter, if equipped properly, becomes second only to Serge in damage potential, whereas there are plenty of good mages to pick from in the cast of 40-ish playable characters. That being said, you're not going to be screwing yourself if you opt to get the antidote, it's just a different path that happens to have slightly better rewards.

Alris fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 2, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chrono Cross: It was already said by Alris, but I really do want to emphasize the stealing bit. You really want the Colored Plates from the Dragons, especially the Black Plate. It turns the optional boss from ludicrous to mostly beatable. So always try to have some dude who can steal if you can.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On Chrono Cross;

Diminish yourself constantly once you have the ability to on bosses. It makes you take half-damage from spells and in theory halves your magic output but it doesn't affect your healing magic. Make a team of physical super-stars and go crazy on magic bosses (like all of them).

Summons are irritating in that they take a lot of set-up and many don't deal as much damage as you'd like. That said, there is ultra-high gear in the game gotten via summons which leads to the next irritation. Many summons have to be trapped out of your enemies. If you're interested in getting all the summons, it probably wouldn't hurt to check a guide to see where you can get the traps and who actually uses the summons. Note, this gear isn't at all necessary to beat the game, and NG+ if you're willing to do it bypasses the need.

Early on in Termina at van-goghs mansion near the back staircase you'll find a coin purse item. Its filled with some iron, so break it apart and build an iron weapon for Serge. It makes the next 6+ hours a lot easier.

A second playthrough is worth doing if only because you can fast-forward at 2x and fight the final boss at any time. There are a few unique extra endings to unlock. Plus it lets you skip all of the "save a poisoned friend" side-quests and jump straight to the lava cavern for an interesting bonus scene.

There is a point in the game where serge will become, uh, different. Know that this is temporary, but you will lose access to the vast majority of your characters. Pip is one that you don't lose access to.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 2, 2010

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Don't ever bother with summons. They don't deal enough damage to be worth the effort.

Except the top-end equipment requires summon use to get the parts. And the damage IS generally worth the effort; the 'effort' is building up element levels and chain-casting with a team with Stamina recovery 10+. If anything, the problem is having the appropriate summons in the first place, as the majority have to be trapped.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Except the top-end equipment requires summon use to get the parts. And the damage IS generally worth the effort; the 'effort' is building up element levels and chain-casting with a team with Stamina recovery 10+. If anything, the problem is having the appropriate summons in the first place, as the majority have to be trapped.

Chrono Cross doesn't really require or need you to get the top-end gear. I mean, if you want to its there, but all of the content is certainly beatable without it on NG+. Granted, if you want to do it first run-through you may want top equipment.

So I guess what I'm saying is I amended my statement.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 2, 2010

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.
This is a great thread.

Does anyone have any quick advice for somebody getting started in Diablo 2? Is there any advantage in playing solo online or should I just start a single player game?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

w0o0o0o posted:

This is a great thread.

Does anyone have any quick advice for somebody getting started in Diablo 2? Is there any advantage in playing solo online or should I just start a single player game?
Really depends on your play style. If you're just playing for the first time I'd recommend solo so that you can go at your own pace. At this point online play is pretty rush as fast as you can to farm poo poo.

I would highly suggest downloading the PlugY mod. It adds infinite storage and shared storage among all your characters. Sure it's cheating in a way, but at the same time it's really lovely having to decide if you want to keep that set piece because you have no room for it.

Lastly, if you feel it's too easy solo or you're not leveling enough, you can hit ` to bring the console up, then type /players X (X being any number up to 8). This adjust enemy difficulty and experience gain to be equal to what it would be if there were X number of players in a multiplayer game.

EDIT: As for characters I only really have experience with Necro and Barb. Play barb if you want to be in the think of everything and rip poo poo up. Play necro if you want to hang back and let all your minions kill everything for you (I'd recommend against using the /players X bit if you play necro).

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2010

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

w0o0o0o posted:

This is a great thread.

I would recommend getting the Eastern Sun mod. It adds a lot of new content to the game, but it also adds a lot of features that should have been in the game (like the ability to re-allocate skill points, increased inventory space, the ability to remove gems and runes from socketed items, etc.).

But if you're just playing the vanilla solo campaign, you may want to hold off on spending your points as soon as you get them on level up. Sometimes it's helpful to have 5-10 points so you can get a better idea of how your spells will look once you've invested in them, rather than having to guess and hope that you're picking the right path.

Like Orgophlax said, if you like lots of melee combat, go with a barb. If you like to hang back, the necro and the sorceress are good builds. The necro is a summoner build, while the sorceress is an elemental caster. Amazons are ridiculously overpowered, but they take a while to become effective.

Some things to watch out for:
- Electrical damage in Act 2. The Sand Beetles will release static charges when you strike them, so be prepared to eliminate them from a distance, or make sure you have high electrical resistance before engaging them.
- Act 3 will make you want to die. Really die. Just hang in there until you get to the ruined city (and not all the tribal villages in the jungle) as the act will become much less hateful at that point.
- Gambling is, generally, a bad idea. The only time you should try it is if you have more money than you know what to do with. Even then, if you're nearing the end of an act it makes more sense to wait until the next one starts so you can visit new shopkeepers. Avoid gambling on jewelry, simply because it costs so much but you usually wind up with something lovely. Gambling for things like helmets, gloves, boots and poo poo is more cost effective.
- Save your gems and runes in Act 1. It can be tempting to start socketing them into items right away, but in Act 2 you get the Horadric Cube. The cube will let you upgrade certain things (potions, gems, runes, etc.) by placing certain combinations in the cube. So three chipped amethysts will produce one flawed amethyst. Three magic rings will produce one magic amulet, and three magic amulets produces one magic ring. There are plenty of combinations, so be sure to check them out, but my point is just that if you're careful about collecting and holding onto these items in Act 1, you can get some good value from them in Act 2 onward using the cube.
- When you return to Tristram in Act 1, be sure to grab Wirt's Leg from his body. You can use it to open a portal to the Secret Cow Level.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Astfgl posted:

I would recommend getting the Eastern Sun mod. It adds a lot of new content to the game, but it also adds a lot of features that should have been in the game (like the ability to re-allocate skill points, increased inventory space, the ability to remove gems and runes from socketed items, etc.).
I disagree completely. If you've never played D2 before, stick with vanilla. ES adds WAAAAAY too much for a person new to the game to worry about. Also, the PlugY mod I mentioned has stat reallocation too so there's no reason to grab ES just for that.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Orgophlax posted:

I disagree completely. If you've never played D2 before, stick with vanilla. ES adds WAAAAAY too much for a person new to the game to worry about.

I know, but the added customization is something that every Diablo 2 player starts to pine for right around Act 3.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Any good advice about Chrono Cross?

Play it on a PlayStation or PlayStation 2, not a PlayStation 3.

(The PS3 emulator will cause it to randomly crash during battles.)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Astfgl posted:

I know, but the added customization is something that every Diablo 2 player starts to pine for right around Act 3.

I'm pretty sure they've added some sort of respecs to the base game in that final patch not too long ago, but haven't played it since then.

I agree with the other guy that starting them on ES is a bad idea, took me a while to come to grips with all the additions as someone who'd played D2 since launch (reading more documentation might have helped, but that shouldn't be needed for Diablo)

First time through solo, or for shitloads of fun, co-op with a friend, but after the first time through or if you do it online you're going to skip what story there is and I thought it was nice to see a time or two to understand wtf was meant to be going on.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

w0o0o0o posted:

This is a great thread.

Definitely get the expansion as it adds a lot more content to the game. I strongly recommend playing it online. You can play on private games for the single player experience and have the option to join other games without having to create a lvl 1 character.

The online community has a lot of assholes, but for every person that calls you a stupid n00b for not knowing 10 years of D2 history there are cool people that will help you out and answer questions.

Here is the current thread for it if you're interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3280216

edit: Oh yeah, gameplay. Pressing Alt highlights any items that are on the ground, you will be pressing alt a lot.
The F1-F8 keys are the default hotkeys for using skills, but I have found it useful to bind them to asdfgh to switch between them quicker.
When you get a Tome of Town Portal, bind it to a hotkey so you can use it quickly... it will save your life!

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 3, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Finally playing Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. I'm really early still, just got to the first merchant and bought the rifle and scope. Anything I need to keep in mind?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

rivals posted:

Finally playing Resident Evil 4 on the Wii. I'm really early still, just got to the first merchant and bought the rifle and scope. Anything I need to keep in mind?
1.You can sell the scope back its pretty unnecessary because there's a perfectly usable one built in, so save space.
2.Don't bother with the TMP, it sucks, you're better off selling the ammo.
3.for the treasure items read the descriptions carefully, some gemstones can be inserted into specific artifacts to raise the cumulative value, and it often indicates which ones can be.

Other than that the game is hard to screw up, so enjoy.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

rivals posted:

- Always keep an eye out for treasures: either buy the maps to show where they are or look around for small glinting objects. There are some that are clearly missing pieces; they can be fused together with other minor treasures to create a set worth more than the sum of its parts.

- When you get the blue medallion quest, take the time to get all 15. The reward is worth it.

- Melee everything you possibly can. Melee attacks save ammo and do more damage to more or less everything in the game.

- If you're short on ammo, ammo upgrades to a weapon will refill its clip. Still, if you need to rely on that you probably haven't been listening to the previous tip well enough.

- The mine layer and TMP are utterly useless. Ignore them.

- Flash grenades will kill bodyless parasites instantly.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

rivals posted:

Whenever you have the option to buy a Treasure Map or an Attache Case, buy them. The Treasure Maps will mark the positions of treasure on your map with a star, making it a lot easier to pick up.

Save every chance you get. The game has a habit of throwing bullshit instant death quicktime events at you with no warning.

The game is split into three major areas. Don't buy the Broken Butterfly in the second major area, you'll be able to find one for free.

Don't be afraid to sell off all Spinels and Blue Velvets you find, they are vendor trash. On that note, make sure you examine any interesting treasures you find, if it says there are holes in it for items, don't sell it until it is complete.

Save all your Yellow Herbs for Leon, don't use them on anyone else.

There's no shame in buying one of those single use rocket launchers for a boss you are having trouble with.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nick Buntline posted:

- Melee everything you possibly can. Melee attacks save ammo and do more damage to more or less everything in the game.
Forgot this, optimum way is one shot to the face, roundhouse kick and then slash them to death on the ground. You can slash them in the face to make them stagger instead of shooting but this leaves you more open to attack and frankly you dont need to save ammo THAT bad.

quote:

- The mine layer...utterly useless.

Exception: Shooting crows is hilarious

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rivals posted:

Edit: Beaten with identical information.

Instead I leave you with this. The first time you go to the lake, save and then boat out to the center. Aim carefully at the water and fire a couple shots.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 3, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PrinnySquadron posted:

Any advice for The Guild 2: Pirates of the European Seas?

If you're like me, you'll find that micromanaging your business is fun for about an hour before you get sick of it and wish that you could just let the AI make your money for you while you concentrate on other things like running for office. Unfortunately giving the AI control over your business will never ever ever make you money because it's terrible.

The only business that lets you make passive income without having to constantly manage your carts and buy and sell stuff at the market is the farm - none of the goods (except the animal ones) require any raw materials, so all you have to do is tell your employees to grow beets and wheat and set up the AI so that it will automatically send the carts to sell your stuff - this, at least it can handle. It gets stumped when you try to sell animal products though because it will sell all your cows and sheep before your employees can work on them, so stick to produce.

There's also a (very underwhelming) expansion called renaissance which adds another business like this, the orchard. It's the same thing really, except you sell fruit and honey.

For courtship, the game will tell you that characters will respond better to various approaches depending on what class they are (rogue, patron, craftsman, etc) but it doesn't seem to make any difference; all you need to do is use every option once, and then start over when you've used them all, it works on everyone.

For political office, bribe people. It's the most effective way to gain favor. Also, purchasing titles at the town hall/council palace will give you a big xp boost, so do that when you're trying to level up.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Forgot this, optimum way is one shot to the face, roundhouse kick and then slash them to death on the ground. You can slash them in the face to make them stagger instead of shooting but this leaves you more open to attack and frankly you dont need to save ammo THAT bad.

I prefer to shoot them in the knee and then kick them. This makes them fall in such a way that their head is pointing towards you and is thus easier to shoot or stab. Also if I recall correctly, the enemies in the second area will react...differently to this approach (you suplex them and their heads explode)

Other helpful RE4 hints: flash grenades will kill those wormy plaga monsters that sometimes pop out of ganados' heads instantly, so hang on to one or two for emergencies. And despite the fact that the monsters pop out of their heads, killing enemies with headshots has no impact on the chance of one of them showing up, so don't be shy about blowing heads off.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 3, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Exception: Shooting crows is hilarious

You don't really need to do much to save ammo at all. Conserving it is still somewhat important in certain situations, but unless you're just dumping magazines into the sky for no reason you're generally safe. The game will automatically spawn more ammo for you if you use more. It keeps track of how much you use and compensates you if you use more with better drops from enemies or barrels.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You are shooting grenades with the Mine-Thrower. You buy it when it is available and use it to kill groups or stun the Garrador. You find more ammo for it than the Magnum and you won't use that on scrubs.

The knife has a damage multiplier when used on bosses.

Jellibean
Nov 10, 2004
All strawberry jellibean

Final Fantasy 14

This game hates you and doesn't even try to disguise it. It takes the opposite Skinner Box approach that WoW does. Instead of rewarding you in little increments, it punishes you more and more, and if you stick around you will only be rewarded with more pain, and then finally when you're just about to leave, you get an awesome fully rendered belt for your catgirl and everything is ok, even though you're bleeding inside.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

RagnarokAngel posted:

2.Don't bother with the TMP, it sucks, you're better off selling the ammo.
Why do people constantly say this? I loving loved the TMP, it was my favorite gun at crowd control.

Red9+Stock, TMP+Stock, Combat Shotgun, and Broken Butterfly is the ideal arsenal IMO.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Honestly? Because the shotgun is better at close range and the handgun is better at medium-long range. I imagine the TMP would be good to spray if you wanted to spam kicks or suplexes but really, either other gun fills it's niche a whole lot better.

The Mine Launcher is underrated, imo. Despite it's name it doesn't launch mines that enemies have to trigger. What it actually does is launch powerfully explosive darts that detonate a couple seconds after landing, damaging everyone nearby and almost always killing the primary target, and although the ammo is somewhat rare it's not nearly as scarce as people think, certainly not as rare as Magnum ammo. Plus the look of panic on the NotSpanish dude's faces when they realize they've been tagged with a mine is magical.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
RE4 loves sending waves of guys at you towards the end, and neither the shotgun or the handgun are really equipped to handle those situations. Having something that you can quickly spray at head level (or at the legs) to shake off a large group chasing you is a godsend. I can't imagine going through Professional without the TMP saving my rear end in the last few areas.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Finished the Campaign for Starcraft II but have literally no idea where to start in multiplayer, i like playing Zerg despite the fact i am terrible and would love some tips to help me out when it comes to starting, i always get rushed and cant seem to get off to a smooth start.

If anyone has any tips for Stalker or Torchlight i would appreciate it, too

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
There's a whole subforum dedicated to Starcraft 2 here. The OP's of each race thread have a lot of good information regarding opening builds and general gameplay tips etc. Some general advice that wouldn't carry over from the campaign are:

-The ideal number of miners per mineral/gas is 3.

-Try to spend as much minerals/gas as you make. Think about it, that 2000 mineral you've got saved up isn't going to be much use when your opponent rolls in with an army 2000 mineral stronger than what you're fielding. If you find that you're harvesting faster than you can spend, build more unit producing buildings.

-Identify choke points and entrances to your base and keep them monitored with a building or overlord. Terran have a small advantage in that they can lift barracks and bury supply depots to let units in and out.

-Zerg gain a noticeable speed boost when on creep, try to keep expansions connected to increase your army mobility.

The most important piece of advice you could get would be don't take losing personally, take the time to watch your replays and pay attention to what your opponent did, then think how you could counter it. Treat it as a learning experience for the next time it comes up. Again, don't take losing personally!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

RE4 loves sending waves of guys at you towards the end, and neither the shotgun or the handgun are really equipped to handle those situations.

They are if you level them up. I used the TMP my first run because I wanted to have one of everything not including the mine launcher. I found on later runs it was redundant and took money away from upgrading the handgun and shotgun.

The TMP is mildly amusing on the gondola ride though since one hit from anything knocks people off, so just spray and laugh.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Idunno, I found the TMP pretty useful in certain situations, particularly crowd control in tight situations. If you stay on target (stock helps) it can also deliver some nice sustained damage to large-ish enemies, even if you aren't hitting them in critical areas. Otherwise, spam out on las plagas legs to disable entire rooms in one sweep.

Kid Moe posted:

Torchlight
Check last page.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
All in all RE4 is easier on the Wii because you can aim so much faster.

Really there aren't bad weapons per se, other than the first handgun and the first shotgun, which get outclassed by later versions. I like the TMP myself. That said, I haven't used the mine thrower so I can't comment on it.

There's an area early on, after a room full of beartraps and stuff, where you can jump down a pit into water with fish in it. Kill the fish, especially the big ones, and sell them for quick cash.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The one thing I found the TMP useful for (in the sense that no other weapon would be equally useful) was for killing those flying bug things. But I wouldn't say it's worth carrying around all the time just for them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

The one thing I found the TMP useful for (in the sense that no other weapon would be equally useful) was for killing those flying bug things. But I wouldn't say it's worth carrying around all the time just for them.

Any shot on a flying insect is a one-hit kill :eng101:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Idunno, I found the TMP pretty useful in certain situations, particularly crowd control in tight situations. If you stay on target (stock helps) it can also deliver some nice sustained damage to large-ish enemies, even if you aren't hitting them in critical areas. Otherwise, spam out on las plagas legs to disable entire rooms in one sweep.

Check last page.

This is the best use of the TMP. Blast everyone's knee caps in a single sweep, run up, and kick the poo poo out of them. I may be confusing it with RE5 but if I remember correctly you perform a different melee move if you shoot their legs, arms, or heads. All I remember is Leon doing various things from crowd clearing roundhouse kicks to head popping suplexes.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 3, 2010

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
If you can get him to do the roundhouse kick (I think it's from shooting regular guy's knees but I'm not sure), it can hit multiple enemies in a pretty wide radius. It's incredibly satisfying to nail a group of las plagas with this and then toast em all with a well-placed incendiary grenade while they're down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Any shot on a flying insect is a one-hit kill :eng101:

Even so, a rapid-fire weapon is pretty useful for that. And I don't think that's always true, I'm sure I remember parts where flying insects took more than one shot to kill, but it's been years since I've played the game, maybe I'm wrong.