Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lighttigersoul posted:

Dude, that armor is sick. I'm jealous since that is THE MODEL that has my imagination when it comes to infinity.

Agreeing with this- the knight dudes are what will eventually have me buying a bunch of PanO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

White, then yellow basecoat.
Pencil even lines where you want the black stripes to go (or just do them one brush-width thick).
Wash everything chestnut or brown.
Drybrush grey.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

pw pw pw posted:

WELP, sushi you got your wish.

Someone on the waaagh.com was "kind" enough to remind me that warbosses in mega armor can not take kombi weapons for some reason (no reason), and I was forced to replace the burny parts of his gun with shooty parts, which somehow made the gun even larger.

Did you tell them where to shove it? They are your models, dude: do what makes you happy.

VVVVVVV
Well, I can respect that. Still, sucks that you gotta change what you liked already.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 4, 2010

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

that dog won't hunt, monsignor. I play wysiwyg, and he's right. meganobz get kombis, megabosses don't. So if I'm gonna use him he's gotta be right.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I'm curious how many warhammies just assemble kits based on aesthetics vs. technical load-outs. I'm all for accurate armies and what not, but sometimes a couple beefy weapons on some model that has no business with them is good fun.

for example... wolf guard terminator power claws on a regular grey hunter body. comical and pleasing.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
I'd say I build for aesthetics, but'll still play wysiwyg more or less. I've got some guys with weapons larger than what I'd consider "normal" for 'uge choppas, so I play them as count as powerklaws. Also if the unit is specialized, like Kommandos, I'll try to come up with a theme for them, like old school war movie team, or something similar.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
WYSIWYG and Aesthetics wherever possible.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I really need to redrill that slugga barrel... I swear it didn't look that off when I drilled it.

I try to model all my special figs with their appropriate weapon loadouts, but lately I've been trying to give them special attention over the generic rank and file models since they're intended to stand out a bit more.

Since I'm going to the trouble of designating a model as different than the rest, I may as well go all out and (try to) make it really cool.

Or really silly. That works, too.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Got the 1/8" drill bit and wow it makes magnetizing arms so much easier. Don't even need a dremel for the metal parts, it just takes a minute longer to cut through. Had to wedge it into the hobby drill though, and something tells me it wont come back off so easily. On the plus side, it takes under 15 seconds to fully drill out a hole on plastic.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I started painting my Warmachine stuff the other day. Here's the first result:

As always blue always gets blown out in pictures. Highlights aren't quite as stark in person. Pretty good model from a painting perspective. There's not an insane amount of detail to deal with, etc.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dr. Lenin posted:

Got the 1/8" drill bit and wow it makes magnetizing arms so much easier. Don't even need a dremel for the metal parts, it just takes a minute longer to cut through. Had to wedge it into the hobby drill though, and something tells me it wont come back off so easily. On the plus side, it takes under 15 seconds to fully drill out a hole on plastic.

Wait till you start doing newer plastic Marine arms. There's a divot at the point where you sink your magnet to line up on and a void behind it. Three good cranks and you're done and the pauldron covers any misalignment like cake. So long as you spot any miscasts as you go you can bang out assembly line like a breeze.

Not that anyone would be so stupid as to do something like that. You'd have to be mad MAD I SAY!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Do you have a friend with a macro lense and a light box? I still love this model.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I assemble purely along aesthetic lines. Hell, I have Vanguard Veterans. VANGUARD VETERANS!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

MaliciousOnion posted:

I assemble purely along aesthetic lines. Hell, I have Vanguard Veterans. VANGUARD VETERANS!

So do I, I really need to finish painting them because they're some of my favorite models GW makes.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fix posted:

Not that anyone would be so stupid as to do something like that. You'd have to be mad MAD I SAY!

Ahh, you know, I always get a kick out of explaining your magic army to people.
"He did what? With HOW many magnets? To a WHOLE ARMY!?"

I always picture that army kept in a magnetically-shielded transport case, because I'm fairly certain that concentration of magnets can really gently caress stuff up.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Click here for the full 1851x654 image.

3rd terminator. I think its a big improvement from my others. I might go back and clean up the highlights on the legs a big.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Fix posted:

Wait till you start doing newer plastic Marine arms. There's a divot at the point where you sink your magnet to line up on and a void behind it. Three good cranks and you're done and the pauldron covers any misalignment like cake. So long as you spot any miscasts as you go you can bang out assembly line like a breeze.

Every single special weapons marine and champion has magnetized arms, and i made sure every magnet's alignment is uniform so all arms are interchangeable across the range. I have a lot of magnets left over still, and I'm considering magnetizing regular bolter carriers just for shits and giggles. I NEED HELP

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Dr. Lenin posted:

Every single special weapons marine and champion has magnetized arms, and i made sure every magnet's alignment is uniform so all arms are interchangeable across the range. I have a lot of magnets left over still, and I'm considering magnetizing regular bolter carriers just for shits and giggles. I NEED HELP

On the plus side, they say magnets improve circulation, and that's always a good thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Thinking Aerodynamically you want to minimise your frontal area, so lining the balloons up inside a sailcloth cover would make sense. You could always arrange nets & sails between the envelope & the deck, sort of like the trampoline-like-area on a catamaran but in reverse, This will provide plenty of shade.

Also, putting the balloons in a sailcloth envelope will reduce their reflectivity, meaning you won't be spotted a bazillion miles away & shot down so quickly.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dr. Lenin posted:

Juuuust one army's worth of arms, you say? :smug:

Seriously, don't do it. They're a pain in the rear end to play games with and keep organized. Bolter dudes are better off glued where you can actually move them around a game board and pose them in decent ways.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Fix posted:

Juuuust one army's worth of arms, you say? :smug:

Seriously, don't do it. They're a pain in the rear end to play games with and keep organized. Bolter dudes are better off glued where you can actually move them around a game board and pose them in decent ways.

Yeah I started realizing that before I did my first bolter guy. I magnetized my special weapons arms, but now I'm stuck wondering if I should magnetize the matching arm. On the plus side, everything is entirely interchangeable and I don't need to dedicate one of the three arm types entirely to special weapons. On the down side, they would have the same issue that bolter guys would have.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Jonny Nox posted:

Do you have a friend with a macro lense and a light box? I still love this model.

My friends are (mostly) slackers in terms of painting, so sadly no. I can try to get a better pic soon, though. Plenty of nice, bright sunny weather here in Cali so I can try some outdoor shots.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Put him on the beach with a little drink umbrella as a shade.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I finished adding armor plates to the rest of my meganobz, and now it's time to take another pass at the boss. Problem is, he looks pretty good as is, and there are very few places I could add plates without looking forced and weird. I was mostly going to bulk up the shoulderpads to be a little more like football pads, if I do anything. Y'know, linebacker him up a little. I kind of want the boss's armor to look more "professional" than the others, and I'm not sure it needs any extra plates at all.

So here's some shots of him with a styrene extension on one of his shoulderpads. Which side looks better? Should I just leave the boss as-is? I've already converted him pretty heavily from how he started, and I'm not sure when to stop.

(bear in mind his klaw arm is on a ball-and-socket joint, and I'm trying to keep it poseable. Normally it's going to be in a more threatening position.)

Edit: I became impatient and bulked up the shoulderpads. It may have been a mistake, but gently caress it.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 6, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

Edit: I became impatient and bulked up the shoulderpads. It may have been a mistake, but gently caress it.

Honestly, I'm sure you're tired of me commenting on your stuff by now, but I'm getting a very "Big Daddy" vibe from what you have here, and to me that's awesome. I wouldn't change much; a rivet or two if you want to go with that, but otherwise it looks good.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Nah, I don't mind. If anything, the others are probably getting tired of me posting all my half-finished conversions.

Anyway, after several different attempts I landed on a shoulderpad design that I like. It definitely helps differentiate the boss from the others, and I think a couple rivets is gonna make it look totally baller. I'll do all the riveting tomorrow, though. Got enough crazy glue bonded to my skin for one night. :)

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I am always a fan of pics and conversion discussion.

The bulkier pads look good, defiantly what I was going to suggest before you did it already.

My other thoughts would be to make sure to embed as much of the bits as possible. It is hard to tell much from 2d pictures, so I am not saying you are guilty of this, but sometimes the added bits just look like a pile of stuff glued ontop of a model instead of being apart of the model.(which is why I flirted with the idea of embedding 10 sec youtube videos of my conversions in progress to really give the 3d feel, though not sure if there are forum rules about that :ninja:)

The place I thought might have this problem is the warboss's face since there is a lot goin' on there with those warbiker bits ontop of each other. As long as it does not stick out really far or nothing it should be fine.

Other than that maybe add some of those lil' glyphs that you get in a trukk kit to the flatter areas like the crotch plate.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Other than that maybe add some of those lil' glyphs that you get in a trukk kit to the flatter areas like the crotch plate.

Use the Mekboy one, the double-sided wrench.

GET IT!? IT'S WHERE HIS TOOL IS! :downsrim:

Bonus Edit: Dickglyph.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm having some fun playing around with train set textures. I figure these are going to look pretty nice when painted up.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm having some fun playing around with train set textures. I figure these are going to look pretty nice when painted up.

Wow, where did you get these? Hobby town?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Oh yeah, that reminds me: Sole, how are those bases coming?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

crime fighting hog posted:

Wow, where did you get these? Hobby town?

I ordered them online. I got a few textures like treadplate, bricks, etc but this rough cobble is the one that jumped out at me as awesome for bases.

This particular one is by Wills, 00 scenic series materials pack. Its called "Coarse Stone". I ordered from here, but they're UK based.

You can get 15 25mm bases to a sheet, 4 sheets a pack. So one pack is enough to do my whole Sisters army.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Hey guys, I picked up the GW woods set for Fantasy, and I'm thinking of painting the bark white, like birch. Any ideas how to pull it off?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, I picked up the GW woods set for Fantasy, and I'm thinking of painting the bark white, like birch. Any ideas how to pull it off?

Birch isn't actually white, it's more of a light greyish-brown. Start with a basecoat of bestial brown with some codex grey mixed in, and add a 50/50 mix of codex grey and bleached bone with each successive highlight until you get a final color you're comfortable with. A thinned wash (I mean like 4:1 water:wash) of thraka green over the finished product will make it look like a real, living tree.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Silhouette posted:

Birch isn't actually white, it's more of a light greyish-brown. Start with a basecoat of bestial brown with some codex grey mixed in, and add a 50/50 mix of codex grey and bleached bone with each successive highlight until you get a final color you're comfortable with. A thinned wash (I mean like 4:1 water:wash) of thraka green over the finished product will make it look like a real, living tree.

Good call on the grey, I'll give it a shot.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me: Sole, how are those bases coming?

I've had the Alien Beach bases done for a while now. :downs:
I've just be incredibly forgetful about taking photos of them for the world to see.
I should try to get them up tonight. Don't let me forget.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I am always a fan of pics and conversion discussion.

The bulkier pads look good, defiantly what I was going to suggest before you did it already.

My other thoughts would be to make sure to embed as much of the bits as possible. It is hard to tell much from 2d pictures, so I am not saying you are guilty of this, but sometimes the added bits just look like a pile of stuff glued ontop of a model instead of being apart of the model.(which is why I flirted with the idea of embedding 10 sec youtube videos of my conversions in progress to really give the 3d feel, though not sure if there are forum rules about that :ninja:)

The place I thought might have this problem is the warboss's face since there is a lot goin' on there with those warbiker bits ontop of each other. As long as it does not stick out really far or nothing it should be fine.

Good idea, totally on board with a crotchglyph. His face kinda looks all over the place in those pictures, but it looks real good in person and I'm confident the paint job will help clarify it. Also his name is Gob Moblin, so he's gotta have a really fancy jawline.

Normally I wouldn't name a model before they're painted/proven, but I've decided I'm promoting my 'ard boyz nob to the position of warboss. He was the first ork in my army to earn a name, and he's survived more games than any other ork. He has passed some extremely unlikely leadership tests in his time.

(here he is, in the middle)

Does anyone else ever establish a narrative to the introduction of new models in your army? I liked the fact that ghazkull has had several increasingly large models over time, and so rather than introduce a new ork i've decided to promote from within. Also I used the incomplete warboss model as an objective in my last capture/control game, and held it successfully. It's gonna feel good fighting the same guy with the model all finished and pretty next time.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 6, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

More pics on my blog:

http://www.paintvagrant.com/?p=60#more-60

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 7, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Do want.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is that one dude the postal officer in the regiment?

I guess it'd make sense to bring him along. Send out the form letter for each soldiers' death as the Commissar causes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is that one dude the postal officer in the regiment?

I guess it'd make sense to bring him along. Send out the form letter for each soldiers' death as the Commissar causes them.

The dude with blood on his apron and vials of chemicals? Oh yeah, he's not the medic. No, he's the postal officer.

• Locked thread