Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
If you're building a 1.8 without a VVT head at this point, you're a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Savington posted:

If you're building a 1.8 without a VVT head at this point, you're a fool.

Unless you're building the car for a race class where the VVT head isn't allowed for your model year.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Speaking of turbos, is there a setup that is CARB-legal, apart from FM II?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

Speaking of turbos, is there a setup that is CARB-legal, apart from FM II?

Manufacturer Name: Brodie Brittain Racing
Device: Miata MX-5 Turbo Kit
Device Type: Turbocharger System / Turbocharger Modification
Part_Number: Model_Specification: Modification_Allowed: Remarks:
1990-1993 Mazda Miata with 1.6L gasoline engines

Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc.
Device: IHI & Aerodyne Turbocharger Kits
1990-1993 Mazda Miatas with 1.6L gasoline engines

Manufacturer Name: Bell Engineering Group, Inc.
Device: Mazda Turbocharger Kit
1994 through 1999 Mazda Miatas

Manufacturer Name: Greddy Performance Products, Inc.
Device: Mazda Miata Turbo Kit
1990 - 1993 1.6L Mazda Miata EXCEPT those equipped with ABS.

There may be more.

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 3, 2010

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
for the people saying it's not worth it to modify the motor unless you go with turbo/super: I'm really happy with what a $100 Raceland header, a $100 ebay muffler, and cutting up the airbox did for my 99.

It makes revving it out a lot more fun, I gained noticeable top end.

Of course the header does remove 1 cat.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Guys... something up with my NA. When I put it in gear at a stoplight, the revs drop by 200-300. Obviously the clutch isn't disengaging completely. Is this something I should adjust, or do I need to bleed my clutch lines, or am I looking at a bad master/slave? I don't think it gets worse as I hold it in.....

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably bad master or slave. They're both cheap and easy to do, just do both so you only have to bleed it once.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I would check the slave first. Pretty common failure with miatas. I've never had problems with a master cylinder going, but it does happen as well. I wouldn't bother replacing the master at the same time if it isn't leaking, but that's just me.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DreamOn13 posted:

I would check the slave first. Pretty common failure with miatas. I've never had problems with a master cylinder going, but it does happen as well. I wouldn't bother replacing the master at the same time if it isn't leaking, but that's just me.

I think it's $50 for both on rockauto, almost seems silly not to do both at the same time.

Though I have a slow leak and still haven't done either of mine (I have to fill up the reservoir about every 1.5 months). I'm just lazy :( Maybe add it to my list of winter projects that I won't do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DreamOn13 posted:

My master cylinder went about a month after my second slave cylinder failed. Like the slave, it's available dirt cheap at Autozone with a lifetime warranty...so if I ever replace them on my '99 again, they're both coming off and getting exchanged.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

FatCow posted:

Too lazy to rehost
[edit]
This one is basicaly tuned VVT vs no VVT same motor, different ECU.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/uploaded/images/hydra%20vs%20tec%20vvt%20off.jpg

If you can't be bothered enough to rehost an image I can't see at all, then your argument is a little silly.

Different ECU? Its not even the same thing anymore, nobody spent the time to clone the factory VVT settings, so its whatever some guys with a dyno came up with. Thats like saying yeah its a 1.8L ish engine, t24ish turbo, 4ish cylinders.

Intake VVT looks to make some power (properly utilised with thousands of hours of map development time, but that doesn't mean the factory made the same power with the same hard, being constrained by economy, engine wear, and emissions!) Is the current 2.0L NC engine equipped with intake and exhaust timing?

edit: nice low end bump on the VVT!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Would someone like to tell me what to try next on my cruise control on my '92?

I push the switch and it doesn't stay on. I replaced the switch and it still doesn't stay on.

Cruise actually works if I leave the switch pushed on.

n8r fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 3, 2010

Carbocation
Sep 2, 2006
(P0420 error advice)

I've been getting a P0420 error constantly for the past few months, finally got around to fixing it. So, I just replaced both front and rear oxygen sensors and I still got a CEL after 50 miles, code P0420. Am I right in assuming I definitely need a new catalytic converter now? Looks like the previous owner welded a cat into the stock midpipe and it's pretty rusty now. Gas mileage is a bit less, but that could be me using the A/C a lot more now. No smoke or weird smell coming from the exhaust. Car is a 1999 with 116K miles with a Racing Beat exhaust.

What else can I check/fix before springing for a new midpipe?

Also, between the Roadstersport and Flyin' Miata midpipes, which one is quieter? My car sounds fine as it is, I'd hate for it to get too loud.

Carbocation fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 3, 2010

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Check engine light question. OBD2 noob here.

My 99 just got a check engine light the other day that hasn't gone away. It doesn't drive any differently and I don't hear/feel any misses, the plugs look good, etc. No exhaust leaks and I unscrewed and rescrewed in the gas cap.

Should I unplug the battery and plug it in again? Does that even work on OBD2 cars?

How can I get the code out without a reader? Is there any places in SoCal that read codes for free anymore?

The car has cut stock airbox (with paper filter), Raceland header with relocated o2's, and ebay muffler. I've been running for mods for thousands of miles without issue so I don't think it's them.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Auto Zone checks them for free.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Auto Zone checks them for free.

Not in California they don't (aren't supposed to so YMMV).

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Baby Hitler posted:

Is this some CARB Nazi poo poo I've never heard of till now?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
They do everywhere else.

We have big signs about it and everything here in oklahoma.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Baby Hitler posted:

We need that gif of Bugs Bunny cutting Florida off of the continental US and loving replace that poo poo with California because holy christ.

What the gently caress is the reasoning behind it? California wants to ensure that all of it's slaves get raped for all they're worth?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I suppose the reasoning is so people don't clear codes and then go smog their cars. Not like that would really work anyway, serious code erasures reset their own emissions flags.

There's 32 MILLION cars registered in CA, sorry if your state has about 31.5 million less?

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 4, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I thought that the way that OBD2 worked was that if it's related to emissions, there's a certain time/distance trigger that sets off a big red flag if assholes are resetting codes in the parking lot.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

aventari posted:

Check engine light question. OBD2 noob here.

My 99 just got a check engine light the other day that hasn't gone away. It doesn't drive any differently and I don't hear/feel any misses, the plugs look good, etc. No exhaust leaks and I unscrewed and rescrewed in the gas cap.

Should I unplug the battery and plug it in again? Does that even work on OBD2 cars?

How can I get the code out without a reader? Is there any places in SoCal that read codes for free anymore?

The car has cut stock airbox (with paper filter), Raceland header with relocated o2's, and ebay muffler. I've been running for mods for thousands of miles without issue so I don't think it's them.

Not sure about 99s but on a 96(also obd2), if you just unplug and replug the ecu, it will clear all, you know, temporary codes. Slightly easier than unplugging the battery, perhaps. Not sure where the ecu is on a 99, i think they moved it from behind the passenger seat on the NB.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Phone posted:

I thought that the way that OBD2 worked was that if it's related to emissions, there's a certain time/distance trigger that sets off a big red flag if assholes are resetting codes in the parking lot.

Thats an emission requirement, flag length is set by the car manufacturer. Drive cycles have to be done against certain requirements to reset certain flags.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Why does this retarded law exist?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
What's all of this about VVT?

Now to decide how much more I want to spend.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

High five, broken off dip stick handle buddy!

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Piano posted:

Wait, they don't all look like that? :downs:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Moruitelda posted:

Wait, they don't all look like that? :downs:

Ain't that the truth...I gave up after I replaced 2 of them.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Mine isn't broken... Is it just the yellow plastic that snaps off at the base?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Y'all motherfuckers seriously lacking in SPEED and CLASS.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I find it quite hilarious that I own probably the biggest piece of poo poo Miata ever and mine isn't broken :)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FatCow posted:

What's all of this about VVT?

Now to decide how much more I want to spend.

lol my wife seriously just asked "how does the engine run when it's all rusty like that"

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Went through a drive through for the first time in the miata (I almost never eat fast food). The bottom of the pick-up window started about 3 inches higher than my roofline.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Piano posted:

Went through a drive through for the first time in the miata (I almost never eat fast food). The bottom of the pick-up window started about 3 inches higher than my roofline.

:rolleyes: stock ride height :rolleyes:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Piano posted:

I have to get out of my car to use the ATM at my credit union. It's at a height that's perfect for Expeditions, not so much for Miatas.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I have to get out of my car to use the ATM at my credit union. It's at a height that's perfect for Expeditions, not so much for Miatas.

I have long arms, so I can reach - but I can't see the screen because of the really extreme angle of sight. So yeah, I pull up past the ATM and get out.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Living in oklahoma, I have to reach up and wave at drive-thru windows. Everyone else is all up on F-250 diesels and poo poo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Piano posted:

Does the NB dipstick fit the NA pan / dipstick tube combo? It doesn't seem to suffer the broken-handle malady of every NA.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

IOwnCalculus posted:

Does the NB dipstick fit the NA pan / dipstick tube combo? It doesn't seem to suffer the broken-handle malady of every NA.

That's a NB motor. I just checked and the NB dipstick is about 1/2 an inch shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh, nevermind then :v: Mine is 11+ years old and has spent all that time in AZ and hasn't broken yet.