Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Between, "Dude, how in the H are we going to fix this S?" and "You're the one who threw me too hard, you hole!", it's like they're trying to set a record for complaint letters to standards and practices.

EDIT: Okay, just got to the "But he's gonna be pissed!" part. I guess this is intended as a segue into Adult Swim or something. Also, Tom Sawyer.

The first episode also had them stealing the magic keyboard from a wizard while he was taking a piss.

The show was very strange but funny. As for the segue into Adult Swim, that would kind of make sense as they're supposed to be starting an hour earlier sometime eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
This new Scooby Doo show is weird. I'm not sure if it's bad or not because it's not totally abrasive and impossible to watch like Johnny Test but it's on right before Adult Swim and doesn't really seem that funny or weird or like it pushes any envelopes at all.

But then at the same time this episode on now has Scooby catching Shaggy and Velma making out and gets all jealous which is probably the weirdest thing to ever happen in a Scooby Doo cartoon outside of Harvey Birdman.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Steak Justice posted:

Regular Show was fantastic. This goes on the list with adventure time for "Shows to make sure I do not miss."

Mad is like Robot Chicken for kids, and it knows exactly what it is. Therefore, I am okay with it. I might watch it if it's on, but it's not a priority. My point being, it isn't terrible.
(I will admit I laughed out loud at CSiCarly)

Mad was pretty terrible. But Mad has always been pretty terrible in every incarnation so no surprises there.

I wasn't too hot about Regular Show either, but I'll give it a couple more shots.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 23, 2014

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

This new Scooby Doo show is weird. I'm not sure if it's bad or not because it's not totally abrasive and impossible to watch like Johnny Test but it's on right before Adult Swim and doesn't really seem that funny or weird or like it pushes any envelopes at all.

But then at the same time this episode on now has Scooby catching Shaggy and Velma making out and gets all jealous which is probably the weirdest thing to ever happen in a Scooby Doo cartoon outside of Harvey Birdman.
Weirder than all the crossovers like when Batman and Robin came in?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's pretty much a G-rated version of Venture Bros, it's self-aware and pokes fun at itself but if you're old enough to watch and enjoy Venture Bros there's pretty much no reason to watch it.

On the other hand: Gary Cole and Patrick Warburton as billed cast members, and Lewis Black as a recurring "mysterious mentor" type.

Also, any excuse for Grey DeLisle to have an obligatory song.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

404GoonNotFound posted:

On the other hand: Gary Cole and Patrick Warburton as billed cast members, and Lewis Black as a recurring "mysterious mentor" type.

Also, any excuse for Grey DeLisle to have an obligatory song.

We can learn so much from this show.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 23, 2014

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, I love that Don Knotts made a cameo in the crowd of tourists in the first episode. :allears:

There have been a number of interesting references to Scooby-Doo and Hanna-Barbera history on the show. The ones I can recall off the top of my head:

-Nugget Nose from The Galloping Ghost appears in a flashback about Gatorburg, a town which mined alligators ("See, this is what happens when you build a civilization around an entirely gator-based economy")
-The teenage versions of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm appear in the background in the crab-man episode
-Daphne hums the theme song to "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" to herself
-The villain of one episode is a girl falsely claiming to be the daughter of the Creeper
-The Hex Girls from Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost play an important role in one episode

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also one of the girls from Charlie Chan and the Chan Clan appears on a volleyball team during the crab episode and previous villains are mentioned in the premiere. As to pushing boundaries... it makes the villains actually menacing (as in try to kill the kids) to an extent that has never been done before. I'd imagine little kids might find it pretty scary at times.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Ice Blue posted:

Weirder than all the crossovers like when Batman and Robin came in?
This reminded me that I saw this recently.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

mobo85 posted:

There have been a number of interesting references to Scooby-Doo and Hanna-Barbera history on the show. The ones I can recall off the top of my head:

-Nugget Nose from The Galloping Ghost appears in a flashback about Gatorburg, a town which mined alligators ("See, this is what happens when you build a civilization around an entirely gator-based economy")
-The teenage versions of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm appear in the background in the crab-man episode
-The villain of one episode is a girl falsely claiming to be the daughter of the Creeper
-The Hex Girls from Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost play an important role in one episode

They need to get Phyllis Diller in there before it's too late.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

mobo85 posted:

The whole first episode is full of references to the original series.

I didn't get one of the ones you mentioned though. What do you mean a girl "falsely" claiming to be the daughter of the Creeper?

The only weird thing about that flashback is her being younger and everyone else being the same age. I don't remember it being regarded as false though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ice Blue posted:

The whole first episode is full of references to the original series.

I didn't get one of the ones you mentioned though. What do you mean a girl "falsely" claiming to be the daughter of the Creeper?

The only weird thing about that flashback is her being younger and everyone else being the same age. I don't remember it being regarded as false though.

It was revealed to be a fake story, and she was being paid off by Mr. E to commit the crime of the week in order to get them back of the trail of the old crew. The age difference was intentionally screwed up.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

404GoonNotFound posted:

It was revealed to be a fake story, and she was being paid off by Mr. E to commit the crime of the week in order to get them back of the trail of the old crew. The age difference was intentionally screwed up.
I can't believe I forgot about that part.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The first episode of Regular show is up on youtube and iTunes.

"I've always wanted to date a girl named the power"

Edit: aaaaaaaaand it's gone.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 9, 2010

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Regular Show is awesome

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Continuing their sudden inexplicably bad treatment Flapjack lately, CN is apparently running another new episode at 9:30 tonight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Regular Show is loving awesome. Cartoon Network owns even though they shitcanned Flappy.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Since it is a classic kids show, I think it belongs here- you may be interested to know that starting today, Saban Brands will be showing all 145 episodes of the original Power Rangers series, one every day for the next 145 days, on their official website.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

Continuing their sudden inexplicably bad treatment Flapjack lately, CN is apparently running another new episode at 9:30 tonight.

I... What? That doesn't even ... :psyduck:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sockser posted:

I... What? That doesn't even ... :psyduck:

It was actually a rerun, my DVR thought it was new for some reason. CN programming info has always sucked on DVRs for whatever reason.

Shark Accident
Sep 9, 2010
I want to hate Phineas and Ferb because of the horrible head shapes, but I just can't make myself.

I like the Flapjack episodes written by Pendleton Ward, but not the other ones as much.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Shark Accident posted:

I want to hate Phineas and Ferb because of the horrible head shapes, but I just can't make myself.

This is probably the complaint I hear about the show the most and, truthfully, I can understand where it's coming from.

But, Phineas's head is a P and Ferb's head is an F and Doofenschmirtz's is a D so it all fits.

And it's a fantastic show and if that ruins it for you then too bad. You're missing an awesome show. (Not you, just people in particular)

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

T.U.F.F. Puppy and Planet Sheen will premier OCT.2 on nick.

edit:

And Glen Shadix has died:
http://blog.al.com/bob-carlton/2010/09/actor_and_bessemer_native_glen.html

Gutless Wonder
Jun 12, 2007

From the makers of Tiny Fantasy BattleTM
Haven't caught Regular Show yet, but I am liking the new Scooby Doo series a lot. I always thought the characters had a lot of potential since they all seem to have so many neuroses to be explored (and no, I'm not referring only to the tired cliche that Shaggy is constantly high). And finally there's a series that's doing that!

Awesome things that happened:

1. Fred stealing a body from a crime scene (Velma: "Rockin'.")
2. The mayor consistently throwing teenagers including his own son in jail and/or squad cars.
3. Shaggy's inability to choose a REAL LIVE GIRL over his talking dog.
4. Fred slipping into mild psychosis rendering him unable to stop clawing at the ground after Daphne is kidnapped by a monster ("There's nothing but torn up carpet in the back of the Mystery Machine.")
5. Velma being a stereotypical nagging and controlling girlfriend
6. Daphne's 4 identical sisters and their outlandish Barbie-style careers (doctor, army officer, race car driver, astronaut)

All four of them are pathetic in really interesting ways, and I for one look forward to more episodes :colbert: And as sad as it is that this seems like the only thing Matthew Lillard's doing with his life, he's been doing a fantastic job as Shaggy.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Lillard has said that he'd like to be "Shaggy for Life" in interviews. I wouldn't blame him; he's a good carrier of the torch. Let him have it.

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

The mail is the one final hope for resurrecting a dead planet from its ashes, and the letter carriers are the brave soldiers of God in this righteous crusade.
I'm loving Adventure Time, and even the weaker episodes are a bit rewatchable. I can't get enough of Finn's autotune singing.

It's hard for me to like the new Scooby Doo, especially since I was never that big a fan in the original. I don't really like Velma's development. The jokes seem cute so far but I don't know how long they can keep it up without getting old. At least Venture Brothers had an overall plot to keep things fresh.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that the most recent Scooby Doo was a spoof of War of the Gargantuas, complete with "The Words Get Stuck in My Throat" as a plot point.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

LeosBoots posted:

I'm loving Adventure Time, and even the weaker episodes are a bit rewatchable. I can't get enough of Finn's autotune singing.

It's hard for me to like the new Scooby Doo, especially since I was never that big a fan in the original. I don't really like Velma's development. The jokes seem cute so far but I don't know how long they can keep it up without getting old. At least Venture Brothers had an overall plot to keep things fresh.

Hmm, the new Scooby series seems to be developing a plot much quicklier than Venture Brothers did. I'm actually very happy with how that part of the series has been turning out.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

I definitely like how they changed a lot of the characters in Scooby to be more interesting. The whole gang isn't just happy go lucky all the time and doing the same poo poo. There's some drama. Velma isn't all nerdy and saying jinkies (she only said it once so far I think). She's insecure and a stronger character but she still has problems (she's getting jealous over a dog and a bit controlling). Daphne is pretty insecure and obsessive, which you wouldn't expect from her. Fred is pretty dense and obsessed about traps. It's hilarious.

The only character that's not really changed at all is Shaggy. But his situation of being with Velma adds enough to his character to keep him fresh. My biggest peeve with the series is probably the change in Scooby. Originally he had two or three demeanors: scared, normal, and hungry. Plus there's the Scooby snack mode. Now he's insanely jealous over Shaggy spending time with Velma. And does the whole pissed off no talking poo poo. It's dragging on a bit too long. It just bothers me because the whole game is supposed to be friends and yet Velma is getting jealous over a talking dog.

One thing I like is how crazy the parents are. They did a really good job of developing the setting. Crazy poo poo happens and people accept that like it's nothing. I find that aspect pretty hilarious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wait, are you saying they've actually made a love triangle between Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby?

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

IRQ posted:

Wait, are you saying they've actually made a love triangle between Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby?
Yes. Scooby gets jealous and at one point in the latest episode even asks Shaggy if he's cheating on him. The gag can be pretty funny sometimes but the joke's been going on too long. I miss the normal Scooby.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hi Five ghost !

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Benson's gonna drop his balls when he sees this!

EDIT: Oh poo poo, is this REALLY a donkey show joke? drat.

OMG JC a Bomb! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 14, 2010

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"You know who likes special entertainment like that? MY MOM!"
*Clown throws up in mouth and swallows*

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Rockin' the SID music here. Wow.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

IRQ posted:

And then there was the time Scooby dumped Shaggy for a ventriloquist's dummy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ice Blue posted:

Yes. Scooby gets jealous and at one point in the latest episode even asks Shaggy if he's cheating on him. The gag can be pretty funny sometimes but the joke's been going on too long. I miss the normal Scooby.

Wow, I watched some of tonight's episode and it's even worse than the original Scooby Doo.

Velma isn't hot anymore, she inexplicably wants to jump Shaggy's bones, and uh, Scooby does too, Fred is obsessed with traps (this was actually hilarious taken completely out of the intended context, especially the "Traps Magazine" he was embarrassed about Daphnee finding), and the animation is loving horrible for 2010. Even flash cartoons do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm loving "Regular Show", but there's one thing about it that bothers me and it. There's a distinct formula that each episode follows. Both episodes and the pilot play out the same way. It starts with Rigby and Mordecai are goofing around and eventually they get involved with some sort of task. In the course of trying to complete said task they unleash some sort of supernatural force which they have to suppress. After suppressing it they are chewed out by Benson, get told they have to "clean up this mess" and they end the episode with a quip showing that they're still slackers. It's still very funny and they do a well enough job keeping it fresh, but I'm curious as to how they'll be able to keep it up. I hope they mix it up some more in future episodes otherwise the show could start becoming stale.