Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

!amicable posted:

The dude with blood on his apron and vials of chemicals? Oh yeah, he's not the medic. No, he's the postal officer.

I saw the big bags hanging off his rear end, like the postmen here have.

You really aren't amicable, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those Ghosts are bomb, PV.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm having some fun playing around with train set textures. I figure these are going to look pretty nice when painted up.

What are you using to cut the circles out? Just a knife, or some kind of holepunch for base-sized circles?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
As promised:
Alien Beaches!
Will likely need a reshoot--my current setup is causing my camera to not focus

A few notes:
Yes, those are real seashells and ultra-fine beach sand, baked to remove bacteria, and arranged in an appealing configuration. They will look absolutely huge next to your minis, which is pretty much what you want any ways.
I purposely left room to add your own water effects on every base. Every base (as well as the Rotting Earth bases I made before) has been tested to ensure large enough area to place your models. Admittedly, some have more than others, but be creative and you'll not be disappointed.
Thanks to the aforementioned beach materials, I can proudly say these bases are made with 80% recycled material! :toot: Those figures may be slightly higher or lower, but really, do you care?
If anyone is interested, send me a PM and we can talk pricing.

Now, onto the next set: what would you guys like to see next? Right now what's in my head are a bare forest floor or a salt-flat badlands, but as always I'm open to suggestions.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
BADLANDS!!! That's like the earth that's cracking open because of lack of moisture right? I'd buy those lickidy split.

Beach bases look pretty good. I especially like the giant dead alien starfish.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

Like I said in the Oath thread, those rivets really do it to it.
Can't wait to see those painted up and battle-damaged.

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

edit: crap, wrong thread.

content: pw pw pw, you're a crazy nut for hand doing all those rivets. Looks really, really good.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

crime fighting hog posted:

Hey guys, I picked up the GW woods set for Fantasy, and I'm thinking of painting the bark white, like birch. Any ideas how to pull it off?

Not sure if we're talking about the same type of tree, but I painted some of my dryads like this: white undercoat, badab black, light dab of asurmen blue and gryphonne sepia here and there.

The one on the far right:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

SRM posted:

What are you using to cut the circles out? Just a knife, or some kind of holepunch for base-sized circles?

As you can see from the ones on the left, I just cut them into squares and glue them onto the base. Trim them roughly with clippers leaving a millimetre or two all round, turn the base upside down and use the base edge as a guide to trim precisely with your knife, then just hit it with a file to smooth out any bumps.

No special tool unfortunately.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 7, 2010

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Here's an almost doe WIP of my first Yaokong remote, with a Shang Ji for scale. Love dat model.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Not sure if it was here or in one of the other threads, but someone was asking about the GW Mega Paint Set being discontinued. Well, it is back.

quote:

And at long last, the Mega Paint Set is back. It sold out so fast last year that many of you emailed us in a last attempt to get a hold of one. This year, the Mega Paint Set is again only available in limited numbers, so if you want one I'd advise ordering early. You'll notice that the Mega Paint Set is sat on its own below. Now normally, I'd suggest a thing or two that might go well with a new product but the Mega Paint Set really is a mega set - it contains every paint, Foundation paint, wash and brush. So yeah, when picking up your Mega Paint Set the only other thing you'll need is some time set aside to paint

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

TastyAvocado posted:

Here's an almost doe WIP of my first Yaokong remote, with a Shang Ji for scale. Love dat model.

I say this every time, but Im still astounded by how well a simple scheme like that works. My nomads are a clusterfuck of color compared to your models, lol

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Thanks! I've always liked really simple schemes, they look amazing as a group. You have to pick the right colours though.

I'm liking how they're turning out a lot! When I started, I wanted them to look like cartoons (since the last models I was painting were for my D&D campaign and I was trying to do them "realistically" - so I wanted a big departure) and I think I've succeeded.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Tasty, I know you've probably posted it before, but what's your recipe for that yellow?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Tausept Ochre with Ogryn Flesh wash, then highlighted up to Golden Yellow then Sunburst Yellow approximately like:

TO base
OF wash
2:1 OF-TO
1:2 OF-TO
TO
2:1 TO-SY
1:2 TO-SY
GY
SY

I paint all areas up to the pure TO, then I start doing only raised areas with the TO-SY mixes, the pure golden yellow and sunburst yellow are just on edges.

Edit: That's not a mistake, I mix the TO with SY, not GY. They have slightly different hues so you could just throw in another say 4-1 TO-SY instead of the GY and it would probably be better, but I hate mixing paints when I don't have to.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 7, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I saw the big bags hanging off his rear end, like the postmen here have.

You really aren't amicable, are you?
How do you not know who those guys are?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TastyAvocado posted:

Nice Tau.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TastyAvocado posted:

Tausept Ochre with Ogryn Flesh wash, then highlighted up to Golden Yellow then Sunburst Yellow approximately like:

TO base
OF wash
2:1 OF-TO
1:2 OF-TO
TO
2:1 TO-SY
1:2 TO-SY
GY
SY

I paint all areas up to the pure TO, then I start doing only raised areas with the TO-SY mixes, the pure golden yellow and sunburst yellow are just on edges.

Edit: That's not a mistake, I mix the TO with SY, not GY. They have slightly different hues so you could just throw in another say 4-1 TO-SY instead of the GY and it would probably be better, but I hate mixing paints when I don't have to.

Nice recipe, though I'm confused as to your mixture of the Tausept and a wash. :psyduck: Or am I misreading that?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Take a bit of tausept and a bit of wash and mix them together. :downs:

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I am painting up Captain Sicarius and I have tried to do some blending on the inside of his cloak and hasnt really been as sharp as I wanted it to be. It goes from dark gray to middleish gray when I wanted it to go light gray. I used some Vallejo glaze medium which helped more than my previous blending attempts. When I tried to do a light gray when working the blend it ended up looking horrible. Any blending masters in the house for any tips?

Limp Wristed Limey fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 7, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Grey paints are almost always opaque, and opaque colors are almost impossible to blend smoothly by building up layers.

Id try to instead work down from a light grey base, using thin glazes of shades, so when you do highlight you can just do an edge or maybe 2 layers.

That being said, youre results are really good, I dont know if Id change that.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

PaintVagrant posted:

Grey paints are almost always opaque, and opaque colors are almost impossible to blend smoothly by building up layers.

Id try to instead work down from a light grey base, using thin glazes of shades, so when you do highlight you can just do an edge or maybe 2 layers.

That being said, youre results are really good, I dont know if Id change that.

Hoping you would be on PV thanks for the tip will use that in the future, I dont think I will mess with him now as it will only end up looking worse. I do have another question for you or anyone else, how do you secure your minis that you send out for commission work. What containers and wrapping do you use to make sure the paint work is not damaged during transit?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Aranan posted:

Take a bit of tausept and a bit of wash and mix them together. :downs:

Why wouldn't you just mix in a paint rather than a wash and then thin it?

VVV Hey, if it works, then it works; I've just never heard of people doing it before. Do you thin it further, or does the low viscosity of the wash do the work here?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 8, 2010

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Mixing paints with washes is awesome I do it everyday.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I've just started painting and was watching a few videos about wet blending and I have a question. In most of those videos, they mention adding paint retarder to keep the paint wet for the blending, however I can't find it at my LGS and all instances I find of it on Amazon are for acrylic paint. Does anyone know if water is fine to keep the paint fluid when working with standard Citadel and P3 paint or if there is something else I need to order?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You can look into Flow Aid, but use it sparingly as over-use tends to interfere with adhesion of the paint to your model (make sure you model has been cleaned with soapy water). Also note that most of what you buy in art stores is actually concentrate and should be thinned with water before adding it to paint.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
GW/P3/VGC/VMC paints are all acrylics, so no fear using additives you can buy at an art store on those (in fact, you should, because buying them from miniature companies is a loving rip).

I just keep a dropper bottle of 10:1 water:flow aid for thinning purposes, with matte medium and slo-dry at hand for making washes and wet-blending. Also started using a wet palette this week, and holy crap is it nice. So much less wasted paint, and so much more control over color mixing and thinning.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I am painting up Captain Sicarius and I have tried to do some blending on the inside of his cloak and hasnt really been as sharp as I wanted it to be. It goes from dark gray to middleish gray when I wanted it to go light gray. I used some Vallejo glaze medium which helped more than my previous blending attempts. When I tried to do a light gray when working the blend it ended up looking horrible. Any blending masters in the house for any tips?

I'm not a blending master at all but my tip is to post more pics of your stuff.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

bhsman posted:

Why wouldn't you just mix in a paint rather than a wash and then thin it?

VVV Hey, if it works, then it works; I've just never heard of people doing it before. Do you thin it further, or does the low viscosity of the wash do the work here?

Well, the washes are basically the same thing as the paints, just pre-thinned and probably with a bit of flow improver of some sort in them. People use inks to tint the color of their paints fairly often, so this isn't a whole lot different.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The bases look pretty cool sole. have you cast any yet?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Fyrbrand posted:

I'm not a blending master at all but my tip is to post more pics of your stuff.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm glad you like my models PV, I posted them on the Infinity boards and everyone is telling me to put more colours on. I want to say "but the small number of colours is the whole point!! Can't you see my vision!?" except that saying that makes me feel like some sort of mad scientist.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Theyre your models. you sound happy with them, so rock on broheim :cheers: I think theyre sweet.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I had an unbuilt Space Wolves army laying around when I decided to play Death Guard, and being the cheap man I am I decided to recycle what I could from my Space Wolves into the army. I can't decide if this is going to look really good when painted, but I got tired of spiked knees / hands, frames on every inch of armor, and top knots everywhere.

Any thoughts on how good of an idea this will be? Lots of green stuff will be used of course like with my previous models (if anyone remembers my posts from about 7 months ago that is).

edit: I think I've posted these guys before now that I think about it. Its what I get for being out of the loop for about 7 months

Fake James fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 8, 2010

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I agree with PV, the results look fantastic, even though it's not what you were going for. It looks like grey crushed velvet, which makes sense as a cloak lining.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

The bases look pretty cool sole. have you cast any yet?

I was thinking about getting several different kinds (4-5 sets of 5) and cast them all in one go. If there is anything that I learned from previous castings is that having a thinner mold will make it easier to remove the cast bases, and prevent mold splitting/hardening. Plus, it's more economical; the resin may be cheap, but two-part rubber is expensive.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
How good are you with casting Sole? I've got some ideas for some stuff that I'd like to try and make, but I don't really have that much technical know how when it comes to casting …

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

I'm just echoing what everyone has said, but I dig the blending. It's well done and the result looks quite nice. I'm still working on making my blends look that smooth. Maybe I should give some of that glaze medium a shot. Does it just make your paints a little more transparent?

TastyAvocado posted:

I'm glad you like my models PV, I posted them on the Infinity boards and everyone is telling me to put more colours on. I want to say "but the small number of colours is the whole point!! Can't you see my vision!?" except that saying that makes me feel like some sort of mad scientist.
Your vision!!! is dope. Don't stop. It'd be one thing if you painted the entire model just one color, but you didn't; the gray/metal bits break it up just enough so that it doesn't look boring without losing the streamlined color palette.

Dr. Lenin posted:

I had an unbuilt Space Wolves army laying around when I decided to play Death Guard, and being the cheap man I am I decided to recycle what I could from my Space Wolves into the army. I can't decide if this is going to look really good when painted, but I got tired of spiked knees / hands, frames on every inch of armor, and top knots everywhere.

Any thoughts on how good of an idea this will be? Lots of green stuff will be used of course like with my previous models (if anyone remembers my posts from about 7 months ago that is).

edit: I think I've posted these guys before now that I think about it. Its what I get for being out of the loop for about 7 months
Do it. Deathguard rock. Although you did say in December that you'd finish "25 marines, 2 Rhinos, and 6 bikes" by June. How'd that go? :v:

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I've always heard vallejo model colors are much more fragile than game colors, but is it a big enough difference that I need to handle them all that differently? Also, is there a base-shade-highlight chart of VMCs somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Just varnish your models and you'll be fine using VMC stuff.

• Locked thread