Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Fag Boy Jim posted:

please rename the Cy Young award the "Pedro Martinez' 2000 Season Award"

Ah yes, the annual award given to Pedro Martinez for having a season of unmatchable greatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

please rename the Cy Young award the "Pedro Martinez' 2000 Season Award"

Walter Johnson award

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Roger Clemens award, just to piss everybody off

Tim Takdon
Apr 14, 2010

by Ozma

Bigass Moth posted:

It only makes sense that Wins should decide the Cy Young winners. After all, Cy himself won a lot of games.

The NFL MVP award should also thusly be awarded to the Quarterback who wins the most games.

I agree with both of these 100%

Tim Takdon
Apr 14, 2010

by Ozma
Quarterbacks are the most valuable players. Its obvious because they make the most on average.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Cy Young should really be the Old Hoss Radbourn award. I'd like to see anyone today pitch 678 innings in one season :colbert:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Badfinger posted:

Clearly it should be named the Old Hoss Radbourn Award For Best Season of Wins For A Pitcher in honor of his baseball-leading 59 wins in a single season. Hilariously he misses out on CG and IP by 2 each to some guy named Will White in 1879.

seiferguy posted:

Cy Young should really be the Old Hoss Radbourn award. I'd like to see anyone today pitch 678 innings in one season :colbert:

Sup OHR budy. :hfive:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
That year OHR set the single season record for WAR from a pitcher with a 19.8. Hoss owns.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

This is just bad http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/masterson-has-potential/

Not only does the article start out calling Masterson a lefty even though he's a righty, this paragraph makes absolutely no loving sense:

quote:

As usual, the ground ball was the most prevalent ball in play type for Masterson on Tuesday night, as he allowed eight grounders, seven flies, and three line drives in a start which saw far more balls in the air than the typical Justin Masterson start.

:v:: Masterson's start had more ground balls than any other, except actually he allowed 10 balls in the air and 8 grounders.

The article then goes on to completely ignore his horrid L/R splits which is actually whats keeping him from being a good starter.

I know this isn't as bad as some of the WINS type of articles, but for a site that is supposed to pride itself on in depth research and sabermetrics, this poo poo is just loving stupid.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Every fan graphs blog post is exactly this:

State thesis based on a current event

Lazily quote xFIP or wRC+

Compare to much better player

Come to an irrelevant conclusion

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Do Not Read Fangraphs Articles

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Also

Identify player who having an uncharacteristically good or bad season

Cite BABIP, LD% and some other things.

Say they will regress

:smug: I am a baseball genius :smug:

woof! woof! woof! woof!

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Captain Charisma posted:

Also

Say they will regress

woof! woof! woof! woof!

wait that's just what we do in the n/v threads

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

purkey posted:

wait that's just what we do in the n/v threads

Nobody here is claiming to be an expert or is writing articles on it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Is this like some kind of Bleacher Report built for nerds instead of idiots?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Captain Charisma posted:

Also

Say they will regress

woof! woof! woof! woof!

:colbert: Excuse me, that's totally wrong.

You forgot sample size.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Captain Charisma posted:

woof! woof! woof! woof!

I've clearly missed the boat on this joke :( can someone explain it?

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I've clearly missed the boat on this joke :( can someone explain it?

On one of Dave Cameron's 6 org explanation articles someone posted in the comments as "Dave Cameron's Wife" and said simply "Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof!"

It was deleted after like five minutes but the fact that it came out of nowhere was hilarious

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

They took it down now, but someone posted a whole thing on the ESPN rumor mill ruminating on whether the Phillies would pick up Rollins' 2011 option, apparently unaware that they already did that in January.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Well I knew someone would bite at Portis' comments about the Mexican whore reporter incident, and Dan Wetzel took the bait. I usually like him, but he's on the high horse here alright.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtBZveI1RsM_MEzv9I2P_O5DubYF?slug=dw-portiscomments091410

I don't even get the outrage. All he said is that yes, there is sexual tension in a locker room with female reporters and 53 giant black dongs. He didn't say, hell yeah I slap bitches asses all the time and we all should.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

stuart scott irl posted:

They took it down now, but someone posted a whole thing on the ESPN rumor mill ruminating on whether the Phillies would pick up Rollins' 2011 option, apparently unaware that they already did that in January.

For whatever reason that reminds me of this:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

This is apparently an "article" by a "writer"

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/09/in_pitching_all_that_matters_a.html

quote:

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The most important statistic in baseball is a win. It determines which teams reach the postseason and which teams go home. It is not an acronym for a math quiz. It's the stat that makes baseball go.
Why is the pitcher the only player charged with a win or a loss on the stat sheet? I would imagine it has to do with him being the most important player on the field. As Dennis "El Presidente" Martinez loved saying when he pitched for the Indians, "Until I throw the ball, the game can't start."

Last year, Zack Greinke of the fourth-place Kansas City Royals won the American League Cy Young award with 16 victories. In the National League, Tim Lincecum of the third-place San Francisco Giants won it with 15 victories. They were the lowest-win totals by a starting pitcher for the awards since 1994 and 1981, respectively. The 1994 and 1981 seasons were cut short by strikes.
The value of the win has been devalued by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America who favor statistics meant to remove all influences on the pitcher except himself. This year, the case study will be Felix Hernandez, Seattle's fine right-hander. He leads the AL in innings pitched and strikeouts. He has everything going for him except for one thing -- he has won only 11 games headed into Saturday's start against the Angels.
Hernandez might get four more starts after Saturday. If he wins out, he could finish with 16 victories. Does that mean he should get the award over CC Sabathia, who goes for his 20th victory Monday for the first-place Yankees?
The time to give Hernandez the Cy Young award was last year when he went 19-5 with a 2.49 ERA, but he finished second to Greinke. He had the stats, including the most important one, to make a far more compelling case than this year.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Who was the old school writer dude who wrote the "vorp blorp shmorp" article?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

stuart scott irl posted:

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/09/in_pitching_all_that_matters_a.html

the pitcher is the only guy charged with a win or loss because in loving 1890 or whatever that dude pitched the whole game come hell or high water, and even in loving 1890 people were calling bullshit on it because you also have to score runs in order to win.

(yes this is preaching to the choir)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The broken bones posted:

Was it Murray? he loves that topic. here is one

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2007/02/this-is-why-this-site-exists.html

edit: here's the FJM vorp tag http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search/label/vorp

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 15, 2010

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

stuart scott irl posted:

From earlier this thread:

Bigass Moth posted:

Avoid ye all Cleveland media, ... only Cleveland-based writer of any value of Terry Pluto.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

Bruce Jenkins? http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Bruce_Jenkins

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hahaha:

quote:

Be sure to remember HEEP, SKANK and VLZSKS, while you're at it. We'll be out in the sun, discussing a little thing we like to call "runs batted in."

also

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

On one of Dave Cameron's 6 org explanation articles someone posted in the comments as "Dave Cameron's Wife" and said simply "Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof!"

It was deleted after like five minutes but the fact that it came out of nowhere was hilarious

Thanks: http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Dave_Cameron

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 15, 2010

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I swear to God there was an actual writer who wrote "shmorp blorp," but maybe I've got brain problems

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The broken bones posted:

I swear to God there was an actual writer who wrote "shmorp blorp," but maybe I've got brain problems

Murray Chass ?

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I'm pretty sure the VORP SCHLORP thing came from SAS

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
oh, you're right, i'm retarded

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

The broken bones posted:

oh, you're right, i'm retarded

I think it came in response to the Bruce Jenkins article though

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I consider SKANK to be a very important statistic so Bruce Jenkins was right.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

leokitty posted:

I consider SKANK to be a very important statistic so Bruce Jenkins was right.

I assume Alyssa Milano is the league leader in this.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

stuart scott irl posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo :stare:

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

seiferguy posted:

I assume Alyssa Milano is the league leader in this.
She started in the NHL with Wayne McBean which rules cause that is literally the dudes only claim to fame.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
All you SABR nerds who hate Derek Jeter can get out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgDqxz2ARMe03PSBmCEiuRMRvLYF?slug=ea-jeter091410

quote:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – So the SABR rattlers have pronounced Derek Jeter(notes) old and creaky. The captain’s average is average and his OBP is WTF. The New York Yankees hit king was once the belle of the ball, but now he’s dragging along like a tin can behind a “Just Married” car. The $50 million over three years he’s sure to get from the Yankees this winter is more like a Wall Street golden parachute than a worth-every-penny contract, at least if you listen to the stat wonks.

They do have a point.

And they’re missing the point.

Jeter is not above the laws of age or numbers. His age will go up, his numbers will go down. Those are facts.

But just for a moment, let’s move past that. Let’s move past the huge contract he’ll sign and not statistically earn. Abandon All Stats Ye Who Enter Here. Because in one important way, Jeter is worth as much as ever.

Hey New York, get ready for clubhouse-leading, "Just-Win" Derek Jeter to be back next year with a big contract!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

seiferguy posted:

All you SABR nerds who hate Derek Jeter can get out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgDqxz2ARMe03PSBmCEiuRMRvLYF?slug=ea-jeter091410

Hey New York, get ready for clubhouse-leading, "Just-Win" Derek Jeter to be back next year with a big contract!

He has the highest personal winning percentage of any player

Michael Kay thinks this is important :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Are there any sane, rational critiques of SABRmetrics? I don't mean debunking but just taking a critical look at it. I've had some minor complaints ever since I took quantitative analysis classes so I'm curious if there is a good article that looks at stuff like that.