Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Found my 86 Subaru XT's massive vacuum leak. A 5/8" vacuum hose was broken in half :byodood:

And it runs AWESOME with its new exhaust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
So today was the day to tackle pulling the plenum and replacing the injectors. I have a three day weekend so I'm not in a huge hurry. My main goal is to make sure everything is done right.

I followed this guide to get the plenum off. Several systems, such as AIV, have already been deleted so the job isn't that bad. I was extremely pleased to find that one of the previous owners did the water bypass. The plenum came off with no problems. Its nice to see how great my valve covers look.

No parts shop in town had the upper plenum gasket in stock. I tried at least four different stores before I bought a DIY gasket kit from Pep Boys for $8. Its a paper gasket so no biggie. Here's the home-made gasket I did. I made two because that's how much material I had. I also made gaskets for the balance tube and have plenty of material left for others which may need replacing. I got some 500 degree RTV liquid gasket to seal it. My best advice is to cut the gaskets then sandwich them in a heavy book over night because the paper gasket kit comes rolled up. The one I made is on top obviously.

Once the plenum was off, removing the fuel rails and injectors was cake. Here they are soaking in 6 hours worth of PB blaster.

I started taking the fuel rails apart but it got pretty late and the LSU game was on so I called it a night. Removing the cap screws was a MOTHER. I used the old technique of putting my #2 phillips in some vice grips then pushing down while my friend turned it. It worked for 8/10 of them (only replacing 5 injectors). For the stripped screws I just put vice grips on them to turn them out. I'm using a technique where I PB blast the injectors then rotate them to break their seal, then using a deep-well socket (10mm) I knock them out through the bottom. This way the injectors stay in one piece. I found a great set of videos from the Z shop on youtube with great advice on extracting and installing new injectors. I've got 2/5 removed but have to finish tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow's going to be mostly focused on cleaning as much as I can with the plenum out. The fuel rails and associated hardware are getting soaked in mean green to remove the dirt and deposits. I'm also going to murder the engine bay for a few hours. I have found a ton of new spots I can get to that I missed when I cleaned it last week. Hopefully everything goes back together as easily as it came apart :)

Oh yeah, here's RapeWhistle's sweet ride. He put my busted nose panel to great use:

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Well, the sunroof is out. Much easier than I could have hoped - no welds, no sealed bits, just ten little bolts and the whole assembly is out.
I went with a piece of perspex - it's not especially thick but it's light, should be strong enough, and it's flexible enough to curve along the line of the roof. I've sealed it in place for now with some silicone, but I may decide to put some rivets or bolts in if I think it's necessary.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mine's pretty minor. Finally finished getting all the pieces to put the stock antenna back in - when I purchased the car someone had unscrewed the stock one and drilled into the base, ruining it. Had the new one mounted, I was just waiting on the trim/seals. Pretty drat easy job to swap everything, wouldn't have been any harder if it was a power antenna (1 more wire).

Total cost was about $50, not too bad from the dealer. What was bad was paying $23 to have them cut a new key from the VIN, the key I got with it looks like it's about to snap in half.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ExecuDork posted:

Vacuumed out the omnipresent dust layer from the interior, along with a good once-over with Armor-All and a rag. The insides of the windows are all clean, I swear, even though you can't tell from the dust on the outside. There's no point in washing the outside today, I'll do it tomorrow evening after my weekly drive through the countryside (i.e. grasshopper and dragonfly murderfest-by-grille).

I also fixed the back seatbelts. In a "2+2" there's no way an adult could sit in the back, but the seatbelt buckles being under the seat prevents me using the rear belts to secure a camera tripod or something.

Hah, next time I have access to the machine shop I'm going to fab up a clamp on mount for the headrest in my civic. Basically its two pieces of 3/4" square stock aluminum about 18" long, bolt them together securely, and mill out holes spaced the same distance as the posts on the adjustable headrests, using a bit that's 1/8" smaller than said posts.(Bit is centered on the point where the two bars touch, so each bar has 1/2 circle cut out of it.) Get some carriage bolts and wing nuts to use to clamp it in place via the ends of the bars. JB-weld the adjustment head from a cheap mini-tripod thing to the end of the bar. Now the camera is securely mounted, and its mostly dead-center in the vehicle. One hole is like 2.5" from one end, and the tripod mount should be about 6-10 inches away from the inside post, for centering purposes.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I made some progress on a big brake/suspension job I have been working on on my brother's 1992 Honda Accord.

I bought a 1995 Toyota Corolla.

I put a set of brake pads and rotors on a 2007 Chevy Malibu.

I installed an aux cable on the Pioneer radio in my 1995 Toyota Avalon.

It wasn't auto related but I went to the Nebraska football game last night. Go Big Red!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's been a busy weekend...bought my brother an '06 Focus ZX3 for $6000. Has 33000 miles on it, was in good shape. Detailed it and my MX-5. Changed out one of the motor mounts on the Focus, the transmission fluid and put a new fuel filter in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Found my 86 Subaru XT's massive vacuum leak. A 5/8" vacuum hose was broken in half :byodood:

And it runs AWESOME with its new exhaust!
Pictures? Please? Just thinking about your XT makes me all :fap:

Sponge! posted:

Hah, next time I have access to the machine shop I'm going to fab up a clamp on mount for the headrest in my civic. Now the camera is securely mounted, and its mostly dead-center in the vehicle. One hole is like 2.5" from one end, and the tripod mount should be about 6-10 inches away from the inside post, for centering purposes.
I'm planning something more like this, possibly using the existing holes in the metal under the parcel shelf and just punching through the cardboard/fabric but using the light frame to secure a ball-head; bolts, nuts, and washers is about as mechanically sophisticated as I get. Putting the camera as far back as possible lets me use the zoom to set the field of view - I can see everything from the gear shift up to the rear-view mirror, or I can set it to see only out the windscreen.

The seatbelt thing came from an ice-rally-cross back in March. I took a friend along, he brought his "backup camera" - he's a professional photographer. Much fun was had that day.

That's $5000 worth of camera+lens secured inside $2000 worth of car by a bungie cord, a backpack strap, and a seatbelt. The blanket and the backpack are playing key structural roles, too. I told him if it comes down to a choice between wrecking the car or wrecking the camera, sacrifice the car.

He still hasn't done anything with the videos :argh:

\/\/\/ Hurray! Thanks!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 6, 2010

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

ExecuDork posted:

Pictures? Please?

Here you go! The exhaust is about 2.5in in diameter and goes from the Y-pipe back. There is a notable difference in BOOSTU quality as well.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Removed ALL THREE intake silencers from the airbox on my Mazda6. Made a nice difference in sound and only took about 20 minutes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Here you go! The exhaust is about 2.5in in diameter and goes from the Y-pipe back. There is a notable difference in BOOSTU quality as well.
What kind of boost controller are you running? Have you tuned the car?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What kind of boost controller are you running? Have you tuned the car?

It's running at stock boost since the engine is an EA-82t, which is known for cracking heads due to a poor cooling system design. I'm planning on an EJ22t or EG33 swap since the EA82t is such a piece of piss. For now I went through the cooling system & did some general maintenance, the XT has been a reliable daily driver.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Oil change, filter change. I even managed to time the work correctly such that I got the entire drain process out of the way before the wind kicked up again. I spilled exactly two drops of oil onto that side's ramp and I'm proud that's all I lost.

I also decided it was high time to get rid of the chicken poo poo stench coming from my A/C system. I have always had odor issues with the HVAC system, but I visited Maryland's Eastern Shore last weekend and everyone just to the east of Kent Island had decided to fertilize that week. Chickens are big industry, so fertilizer is made from chicken poo poo. There was no going back - every time I turned on my blower motor from that point onward, I was being blasted with a wonderous buffet of post-processed avian feed.

So! Pull the old cabin air filter, reseal system, spray lysol down its throat, let sit for about 10-20 seconds, then run the blower for about two minutes with sprays of lysol every 30 seconds. Then repeat process for about two minutes with the engine on and A/C switch engaged, then hit recirc and let the whole thing cook out while I drive around for a while.

Now my car smells like a bowling alley shoe - I also think I'm just stupid enough to believe that's an improvement.

Incidentally, nobody in my area carries anything even remotely labeled HVAC anti-fungal/deodorant.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-BMW-3-Series-318is-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ228350046

:(

I had the best of intentions... But 2 years you've been on the back burner. Time to let her go.

I really hope I get nothing but Low ball offers so I can justify keeping it...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Four Banger posted:

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-BMW-3-Series-318is-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ228350046

:(

I had the best of intentions... But 2 years you've been on the back burner. Time to let her go.

I really hope I get nothing but Low ball offers so I can justify keeping it...
Your ad is irritating. Put a phone number on it, when I was car shopping last year through Kijiji if I didn't see a phone number I moved on - after ZERO responses to any of the within-Kijiji emails I sent. If you're not monitoring that account literally every 20 minutes, nobody will buy your car.

And give a starting price, otherwise your car doesn't show up in the price-based searches. If I put in zero as my minimum when I'm looking, I get every loving useless bit of garbage add-on and accessory for every possible car the idiot selling a CD-sleeve thought to include. Look at similar cars, put the same price as them. Then write in the ad "or best offer".

If you don't want to sell it, take your ad down and stop wasting my time. I ran into too many half-assed regretful sellers last year, it's loving annoying.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Your ad is irritating. Put a phone number on it, when I was car shopping last year through Kijiji if I didn't see a phone number I moved on - after ZERO responses to any of the within-Kijiji emails I sent. If you're not monitoring that account literally every 20 minutes, nobody will buy your car.

And give a starting price, otherwise your car doesn't show up in the price-based searches. If I put in zero as my minimum when I'm looking, I get every loving useless bit of garbage add-on and accessory for every possible car the idiot selling a CD-sleeve thought to include. Look at similar cars, put the same price as them. Then write in the ad "or best offer".

If you don't want to sell it, take your ad down and stop wasting my time. I ran into too many half-assed regretful sellers last year, it's loving annoying.

My email is sync'd with my phone so I'll get notified. And I never said I didn't want to sell it, I said I wouldn't sell it for some lowball price. Sorry I'm not gonna sell you my car for 500 bucks. I could part it out and make more than that in 20 minutes on bimmerforums.

and I'm sorry my add ruined your day. I'll make sure to be more thoughtful next time.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

I never include my number in the ad itself. When I put up a number all I get is people who DON'T loving READ THE AD calling me all the time. I sift through the email responses and send my number to the ones that can actually form a complete sentence. I couldn't count the number of "Does it run" questions when I put up my civic with the snapped timing belt, even with a big bold "NEEDS TO BE TOWED" at the top.

People just don't loving read ads and I use the emails as a way of screening. I've never had problems getting responses (from either buyers or sellers), I just make sure at some point there is a phone conversation to make sure people are serious. Too many idiots are trolling kijiji trying to find "deals" and offering you less than the asking price over the phone before they've even seen the car.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I completely ignore ads without an asking price. For all I know you've got a completely unrealistic number in mind and I won't waste my time.

As for the phone number thing, I'm so glad I used GoogleVoice last time I sold a car. As soon as the ad was down I turned off the number and all the calls from idiots asking, "I know you put up an asking price but whats the BOTTOM DOLLAR you'll take? I have CASH!!!" stopped.

No poo poo, you have cash? I was only asking $1000.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Got a bunch of hoses and clips to keep the air filter in place in the mail a few days ago. Put them on today. Took that bitch for a test drive. Leaky power steering pump dripped fluid on my alternator and fried it.

Fixed $50 worth of things. Broke $400 worth of things.

SaabFanatic
Aug 25, 2010

by Ozma
Not me, but someone else did this:

Of course, this was the the only one worth more than a couple grand..

:negative:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Agreed. Can't wait to throw it around in the dirt this fall.

OK, I have to ask you where...

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
Today (and the previous few days) was spent overhauling the sound system in my Stagea. All Pioneer including 7" front splits, 6" rears, Mono-block Amp, 12" Slim-Sub and in-dash GPS head-unit. The main reason for changing anything was that the previous head-unit didn't charge my iPhone. After that I got a little carried away.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Got a bunch of hoses and clips to keep the air filter in place in the mail a few days ago. Put them on today. Took that bitch for a test drive. Leaky power steering pump dripped fluid on my alternator and fried it.

Fixed $50 worth of things. Broke $400 worth of things.

But, but, but power steering poo poo always leaks, who would put it over the alternator?!? :psyboom:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

But, but, but power steering poo poo always leaks, who would put it over the alternator?!? :psyboom:

Diamond Star Motors

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Toyota/Lexus 1UZ-FE V-8s have the same PS pump/alt arrangement that leads to broken alternators.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Ordered a new and bigger carb for my '88 Accord LX. Been having gasket issues, choke issues, vacuum issues, etc, so I figure if I'm going to spend all this time and money fixing a lovely carb that's old enough to drink, I might as well use that time and money and get some more power and a lot more reliability. Upgrading to the Weber 32/36 DGEV from the OEM Keihin ~22/~30. Can't wait for it to get here so I can install it and play around with it. :dance:

This is my first "upgrade" on the car (well, any car). I'm hoping it doesn't get addicting, but I'm sure it will.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Four Banger posted:

My email is sync'd with my phone so I'll get notified. And I never said I didn't want to sell it, I said I wouldn't sell it for some lowball price. Sorry I'm not gonna sell you my car for 500 bucks. I could part it out and make more than that in 20 minutes on bimmerforums.

and I'm sorry my add ruined your day. I'll make sure to be more thoughtful next time.
Fair enough about the email thing. You implied you didn't really want to sell it, and I didn't offer you $500 - I was actually thinking your car is probably worth between $3000-$4000, but I have no idea, really.

Your ad didn't ruin my day, it's just irritating. Hope you sell it for a decent price, and that I'm wrong about your ad. I like your car.

Sorry for the derail.

Timmy Cruise posted:

OK, I have to ask you where...
That's yet to be decided precisely this fall, but I'm a member of the Queen City Motor Association in Regina; I live in Saskatoon, and back in the spring they gave me a joke award about "longest drive to drive foolishly" because of the 600km round-trip for a dozen kilometres on ice. They're having some trouble right now finding a venue for this Friday's rally-cross, but I remain hopeful.

It's enormously fun, I suggest you find a local racing club and get involved.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I did a silly thing today.

Driven 520 chain/sprocket kit, -1 off the front, alloy rear. Also had a full service, purring like a kitten. All the valve clearances were loving bang on, despite having 54000km. My mechanic was pretty surprised, and also swearing a lot about how nuts my bike is.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Diamond Star Motors

Just take off the power steering. :)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

_adam posted:

Just take off the power steering. :)

Haha, well it hasn't had power steering since I bought it because the pump is broken/leaking and the PO took off the belt. Its a pain in the rear end just driving it up and down the street, I can't really imagine driving it around 24/7 like that. Definitely want my power steering back!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Haha, well it hasn't had power steering since I bought it because the pump is broken/leaking and the PO took off the belt. Its a pain in the rear end just driving it up and down the street, I can't really imagine driving it around 24/7 like that. Definitely want my power steering back!

Get a bigger steering wheel.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Get a bigger steering wheel.

Weld the center diff.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Timage posted:

Today (and the previous few days) was spent overhauling the sound system in my Stagea. All Pioneer including 7" front splits, 6" rears, Mono-block Amp, 12" Slim-Sub and in-dash GPS head-unit. The main reason for changing anything was that the previous head-unit didn't charge my iPhone. After that I got a little carried away.

I just wanted to say that's a really nice looking head unit, it looks very stock.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

If you looped the power steering lines off the rack into each other it would be a lot better. A power steering system that isn't working takes A LOT more effort than system that has been de-powered (has had the hydraulic elements removed).

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

If you looped the power steering lines off the rack into each other it would be a lot better. A power steering system that isn't working takes A LOT more effort than system that has been de-powered (has had the hydraulic elements removed).

EDIT: Taking it to the Stupid Questions thread.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 8, 2010

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Timage posted:

Heh, looking at that last picture you probably, really, honestly should have inline fuses at the battery posts on those wires. Nothing worse than 10 feet of hot wire igniting all the carpet it can find while you're driving down the road... (Seen it, thankfully never on any of my vehicles or anything I've done the install on...)

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I took one step closer in my turbo project. Went to the junkyard and grabbed some 1zz fuel injectors and a 1zz throttle body off a MR2, then installed them into the Yaris today.

Old 1nz fuel injectors on the left, new 1zz injectors on the right.

Old 1nz throttle body on the left, new 1zz throttle body on the right. No photo trickery, the new throttle body is a lot, lot bigger.

MR2 fuel injectors and throttle body installed!

Next step is to install the Camcon cam timing & air/fuel controller and a less restrictive exhaust. Then on to the actual turbo kit!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Podothehobbit posted:

...turbo...Yaris...

I think this should get its own thread for being so unique, with autocross videos and dyno numbers!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Painted the intake and installed a reman'd OE carb on the Galaxie. Got the valve covers and oil pan painted as well, but haven't taken pictures. Went with an aftermarket intake since we didn't want to have to deal with the 200lb OE intake again.

Old intake

New intake

The engine, right after we pulled the intake and some of the head internals.

It's just the cheapest Edelbrock I could find for a 390, but is still loads better than the stock on and weighs some hundred and twenty pounds less I believe. Gonna have to re-jet the OE carb, but we're going to wait until it's back together to see how it runs.

Waiting on the fuel tank that is being relined and have a new fuel sender unit coming in the mail (old owner cut the wire and jv-welded over the plug).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

rotarybob posted:

I think this should get its own thread for being so unique, with autocross videos and dyno numbers!
Seconded. Turbo Yaris at autocross? Pretty loving AI if you ask me.