Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Who knows, they might be into track days too. The '11 seems like the perfect car to do nothing but absolutely flog on any type of race course from autox to road racing to drag racing.
I really wish I had the cash/place to keep such a car. I would so love to have one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I've been looking at SN95s on Corral.net and SN95 forums mostly, any suggestions on other classifieds?

Also, thoughts on this:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1208481

The thing is that after the entire import process to Canada it'll cost me ~6k and that's if everything goes smoothly.

Thelonious Drunk
Apr 4, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Direct Injection

Now I don't feel so bad waiting for the 50th anniversary car.

Content: I had my tails tinted and had new K-springs put on.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I spent my mustang money on an 11k roof and gutter replacement so i'm going back to working two full time jobs to get my money right. One of them is driving a security car around the airport so it's really not work.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I saw this in the M&FF Magazine. There is a transmission by TCI for mustangs with automatic transmissions. its a 6 speed tranny, with 2.97, 2.23, 1.57, 1.18, 1.00, 0.75 forward gears. It is called the TCI 6x.

Its capable of handling up to 850hp. and supports full manual mode with paddle or bump shifters. The website is TCIAuto.com

Now I know people that are into manual shifting a stick, are not fans of sport manual or paddle shifters, but I do LOVE a paddle shifter. I mean real ones like on exotic sports cars.

so tell me.... is this a REAL manual shifting automatic. like could I go from 4 to 2 or skip 1 and go strait to 2nd or something? I know on automatic transmissions with bump shifters, you can only go up or down one gear at a time and you can not exceed a gear that the computer refuses to let you engage. Is this the case with the TCI 6x?

next up is the price, its like $7,000 with your choice of shifter, and bellhousing, and the wiring/computers etc... Is this a good deal?

Also..... the paddle shifters alone are $560 bucks, Works with any automatic 4, 5 or 6-speed transmission controlled by the revolutionary TCIŽ Transmission Control Unit. Does that mean it can work on the stock automatic transmissions? and just goes from 2, 1, d, and overdrive? OR does it mean it requires any aftermarket 4, 5, 6 speed tranny?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

kalvick posted:

I saw this in the M&FF Magazine. There is a transmission by TCI for mustangs with automatic transmissions. its a 6 speed tranny, with 2.97, 2.23, 1.57, 1.18, 1.00, 0.75 forward gears. It is called the TCI 6x.

Its capable of handling up to 850hp. and supports full manual mode with paddle or bump shifters. The website is TCIAuto.com

Now I know people that are into manual shifting a stick, are not fans of sport manual or paddle shifters, but I do LOVE a paddle shifter. I mean real ones like on exotic sports cars.

so tell me.... is this a REAL manual shifting automatic. like could I go from 4 to 2 or skip 1 and go strait to 2nd or something? I know on automatic transmissions with bump shifters, you can only go up or down one gear at a time and you can not exceed a gear that the computer refuses to let you engage. Is this the case with the TCI 6x?

next up is the price, its like $7,000 with your choice of shifter, and bellhousing, and the wiring/computers etc... Is this a good deal?

Also..... the paddle shifters alone are $560 bucks, Works with any automatic 4, 5 or 6-speed transmission controlled by the revolutionary TCIŽ Transmission Control Unit. Does that mean it can work on the stock automatic transmissions? and just goes from 2, 1, d, and overdrive? OR does it mean it requires any aftermarket 4, 5, 6 speed tranny?

No its not, double clutch semi-automatics (they're automatics if a computer controls/overrides the shifting regardless if t they have a planetary or normal gear and controls the clutches whether the move power around or brake a planetary) have multiple gearsets that can have 2 gears engaged at once, only having to engage and disengage a clutch to change gears, where it has another gear selected by the computer. Automatics have to unbrake and rebrake different planetaries to 'change gears', but it could be organized that some adjacent gears are in different planetary packs so shifting could be faster. Add in a computer that controls throttle so a locked TC would be in sync with the change in input shaft speed in various gears, and it would be somewhere near a cheap knockoff of a Lexus or mercedes :v:

I suppose a paddle shifted TC auto and a paddle shifted double-clutch auto would have the same odd-shift (skip gear) problems (try it in a DSG VW/Audi and watch it be a piece of crap), so it'd just be milliseconds different in normal shifting.

To answer your question better. No, and maybe. Its all in the computer and how they think you'll shift it, you go away from that and things might not work as well as if you moved around the gears yourself, in either 'auto' or 'manual' gearbox.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, it's not a proper manual, but I have a strange desire to drop that in my truck. Goddamn that's cool.

I would be curious to read any reviews on how much of a delay there is between hitting a shift button and getting the shift, though. I know the 6L80 in all its various forms has a pretty annoying one.

Edit: Apparently it's a 4L80E with a custom gearset and some funky use of the overdrive clutch pack to get more effective ratios out of the gearbox.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2010

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
ok well that basically answers my question. Its cool but not Cool enough!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baby Hitler posted:

Automatics have to unbrake and rebrake different planetaries to 'change gears', but it could be organized that some adjacent gears are in different planetary packs so shifting could be faster. Add in a computer that controls throttle so a locked TC would be in sync with the change in input shaft speed in various gears, and it would be somewhere near a cheap knockoff of a Lexus or mercedes :v:

I think the Merc 7-speed auto can skip-shift.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I've been looking at SN95s on Corral.net and SN95 forums mostly, any suggestions on other classifieds?

Also, thoughts on this:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1208481

The thing is that after the entire import process to Canada it'll cost me ~6k and that's if everything goes smoothly.

Ok, so I'm looking at this thursday:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Ford-Mustang-GT-W0QQAdIdZ223938108

It was a V6, previous owner had the swap done at a local dealer. It sounds well sorted out, my main concern is the 7.5" rear end and the extreme mystery cam in a relatively stock engine.

Anything I should be on the look out for?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Ok, so I'm looking at this thursday:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-Ford-Mustang-GT-W0QQAdIdZ223938108

It was a V6, previous owner had the swap done at a local dealer. It sounds well sorted out, my main concern is the 7.5" rear end and the extreme mystery cam in a relatively stock engine.

Anything I should be on the look out for?

It looks fine, but not $6200 fine. Budget for a new rear end the first time you put your foot in it and the tires grip. You should be able to find a straight junkyard 8.8 and build it pretty stout for around $1500.

Honestly, that first car you linked is fine too. It's got the "standard" mods that people do. The price is pretty fair assuming it runs well and everything is straight. There's a lot of power left in swapping those heads, cam, and intake too as those it has aren't too hot, but better than stock. Really though, cars like that are a dime a dozen. If that car isn't exactly what you want in regards to color or options, keep looking. Ford made millions of the things.

I've said it before, but corral.net really is your one stop shop for Mustang stuff. There are all kinds of Mustang boards out there, but everyone cross posts their ads to the Corral. Occasionally you'll find an ad somewhere that isn't posted to the Corral, but only rarely or by some bitter person that's been banned (I'm banned from there ;)).

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, I brought home the Shelby today...It's ridiculous. As soon as waffleimages comes back up, I'll post pictures!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well, I brought home the Shelby today...It's ridiculous. As soon as waffleimages comes back up, I'll post pictures!

gently caress you do it now!

http://imgur.com/

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I wonder how Ford gets away with this?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12346

quote:

# Fits 2011 Mustang GT with Automatic or Manual Transmission. For 2005-2009 Mustang GT, see M-9603-GTB, for 2010 Mustang GT, see M-9603-MGT
# Approximate increase of 16 hp / 7 lb-ft and up to 60 lb-ft at 1500 rpm on 93 octane fuel
# Eliminates "skip-shift" on manual transmission applications
# Kit includes:

* Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration for significantly improved throttle response and performance feel
* 2010-2011 Mustang GT High Flow K&N / Ford Racing
Air Filter M-9601-MGT

# Premium (91 octane or higher) fuel only

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

gently caress you do it now!

http://imgur.com/

Yes, Master! Igor only wishes to please! Unfortunately the lighting is poo poo today because it's variably overcast and sunny, and sometimes both, but here have these snaps taken with my $70 digital camera...

At the dealership
http://imgur.com/VEnBe.jpg

The stable
http://imgur.com/MGxFO.jpg

Syf0n Shot
http://imgur.com/FX5Va.jpg

Back dat rear end up
http://imgur.com/KL8dc.jpg

G-l-a-m-o-r-o-u-s
http://imgur.com/AGxMc.jpg

Crappy American interior
http://imgur.com/93lTi.jpg

First impressions: HOLY MOTHER OF gently caress THE SOUND! Handles bumps and uneven surfaces very well. Ride is FIRM but not harsh. Interior quality is very good, and the suede inserts on the wheel and seats are a nice touch. Sound system is good, despite "only" being 500w (Shaker 1000 not available with Nav). Navigation is intuitive and not clunky at all - screen doubles as a regular DVD player, which is very very cool. Steering is slightly overboosted in parking lot (electric power assist) but has great road feel. Not able to boost yet, but even without boost, it's a beast. Glass roof is actually a very cool feature, and makes the car feel very airy. The tech stuff is very neat, and there are a ton of little details that made me smile, like the valet mode you can activate from the Nav screen, the color-changing lighting, the MyKey feature which allows you to restrict one key to a certain speed (for when the wife drives), etc etc. Clutch feel is very good, and surprisingly light for being a heavy-duty twin-disc setup. Shifter is solid and positive, with short but precise throws.

Best performance car I've ever owned.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 9, 2010

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
After that awesome GT500, here's some bad news.

My '89 interceptor Mustang met the rear end of a Lexus last week and insurance wants to total it (needs new front clip, headlights on driver's side, hood, radiator, and fan). They are claiming it's worth $2200. Interior is totally perfect, looks new, it'd never been wrecked before and the engine has been highly modified with still functioning AC and emissions components.

So let this be a warning to ya'll that modify fox body Mustangs, don't expect to get much from insurance.

I'll throw up some pictures when I go by the shop to help pull the front end and hood off on Saturday.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So jealous!
Get to know Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning. Justin knows his poo poo and is at the forefront of GT500 tuning and modification. Steve Turner, editor of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords has VMP do all of his tuning and performance mods.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

So jealous!
Get to know Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning. Justin knows his poo poo and is at the forefront of GT500 tuning and modification. Steve Turner, editor of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords has VMP do all of his tuning and performance mods.

Thanks for the heads up! I have to control myself for a while though, because I am going to end up spending around $160k this week after all is said and done (Shelby, bought the wife a new van, paying off my house...) so I need to cool off for a bit...

How can I make the imgur pics show up as thumbs?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I wonder how Ford gets away with this?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12346

Skipshift is purely a CAFE thing as far as I know - the conditions where it forces you to do 1-4 are entirely within the CAFE drive cycle. I think it actually does little to nothing for emissions or the kind of things CARB bitches about.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

How can I make the imgur pics show up as thumbs?

use timg instead of img in your tags.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Skipshift is purely a CAFE thing as far as I know - the conditions where it forces you to do 1-4 are entirely within the CAFE drive cycle. I think it actually does little to nothing for emissions or the kind of things CARB bitches about.

Right, and CAFE is a Federal thing, unlike CARB which is a California state thing. You wouldn't think Ford could ignore a Federal standard, but I guess since it is an aftermarket tune it doesn't apply.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Right, and CAFE is a Federal thing, unlike CARB which is a California state thing. You wouldn't think Ford could ignore a Federal standard, but I guess since it is an aftermarket tune it doesn't apply.

Yeah - as far as I know CAFE only needs to apply to the car as it is sold by Ford itself. The day it's sold you no longer need to worry about passing a CAFE test or anything like it; otherwise there'd be almost no aftermarket parts support from manufacturers since drat near everything you can do to a car can be construed as loving up its CAFE rating.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
But if the manufacturer offers a kit and installs it, that's really skirting legal trouble. The only thing they've got going is being able to say "oh we didn't sell the skip-shift kit on the same invoice, see, it's different..."

There was a company that made 80% receivers, which you can buy with cash and no paperwork. No problem. Except the same company would let you bring in your 80% "blank", use their machines and their coaching to finish it out to 100%. That company is no longer in business.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

IOwnCalculus posted:

It nets them a higher CAFE number like you said and I think at least on the Corvette skipshift let them escape the gas guzzler tax for a while. Not sure if that's still the case, but I'll take an effective $1300 off MSRP for something that can be disabled for about $20.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Skyssx posted:

But if the manufacturer offers a kit and installs it, that's really skirting legal trouble. The only thing they've got going is being able to say "oh we didn't sell the skip-shift kit on the same invoice, see, it's different..."

It doesn't have any effect unless the guys calculating CAFE decide to recalculate Ford's average mileage with this aftermarket part installed and it brings the whole company's average down to the point that Ford gets fined with CAFE penalties. It's not like the car is incomplete without this Ford Racing part, or anything other than a minority of customers will get this part.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

IOwnCalculus posted:

My buddy Matt has skipshift in his '02 T/A WS6 and he says it's absolutely terrible. The Shelby doesn't have it and still manages to avoid the gas-guzzler tax, I wonder why the vanilla GT's have it at all??

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 9, 2010

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
When I test drove a new GT I didn't notice the skip shift. Was I just driving outside the envelope where it functions or what?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My buddy Matt has skipshift in his '02 T/A WS6 and he says it's absolutely terrible. The Shelby doesn't have it and still manages to avoid the gas-guzzler tax, I wonder why the vanilla GT's have it at all??

Tell him to get his rear end under the car and unplug the solenoid, it's the easiest thing ever to disable.

Presto posted:

When I test drove a new GT I didn't notice the skip shift. Was I just driving outside the envelope where it functions or what?

If you were driving it like you should (i.e. flogging it), yes.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tell him to get his rear end under the car and unplug the solenoid, it's the easiest thing ever to disable.

He's got kind of a big rear end...

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

He's got kind of a big rear end...

Tell him to use the gas pedal more then, haha. When my Z06 was stock, I barely ever noticed the skipshift while driving around the city. If the light ever came on, a quick burp of the gas would quickly eliminate it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

My buddy Matt has skipshift in his '02 T/A WS6 and he says it's absolutely terrible.
I picked up an '02 Camaro Z28 last week and I hate it with a passion already. I don't think the Canadian cars had it but this is one from the States. :argh:

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Tell him to use the gas pedal more then, haha. When my Z06 was stock, I barely ever noticed the skipshift while driving around the city. If the light ever came on, a quick burp of the gas would quickly eliminate it.
This is how I've been solving it.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

mcvey posted:

I picked up an '02 Camaro Z28 last week and I hate it with a passion already. I don't think the Canadian cars had it but this is one from the States. :argh:

This is how I've been solving it.

Canadian cars definitely have it as well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Seriously, manufacturers, let me shift how I want to shift. Sometimes (most times) second gear is still appropriate to use even if you're not using full throttle. Thank God I don't have to deal with it on the GT500.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seriously, manufacturers, let me shift how I want to shift. Sometimes (most times) second gear is still appropriate to use even if you're not using full throttle. Thank God I don't have to deal with it on the GT500.

If it weren't for that $20 solenoid that can be disabled in five minutes, a lot of cars with skip-shift would have gas guzzler penalties in the range of $1000+.

I'll take skip-shift all day long over the guzzler tax.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What the gently caress is skip-shift?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fifty Three posted:

What the gently caress is skip-shift?

It locks out second and third in regular driving.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Wait... what?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nobody said it wasn't retarded :v:

Basically if you're not driving aggressively, The upshift from first is locked out of second and third, so it's 1-4.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Hypnolobster posted:

It locks out second and third in regular driving.

That's a major oversimplification.

It forces a 1-4 shift when you're within some narrow parameters (usually between 12-19mph and at less then 17% throttle)

It can be annoying, but its not the end of the world and you can drive around it. Or on GMs buy a $20 solenoid and on Fords get it edited out with a tune.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This is only on auto trannys right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

No. Manuals. The gate to 2nd is physically blocked with a solenoid, forcing you into 4th.