Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Anyone have recommendations for a clutch/flywheel for a pure track/autox car (trailer queen)?

I'm looking at the 1.6L Fidanza flywheel, not sure on the clutch. Anyone know what happened with Fidanza? You used to be able to buy their stuff at a lot more places (949racing), the most reputable I see now is Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Fidanza/383/161161/10002/-1?parentProductId=755906

I'm a bit at a loss about the clutch. Are the disadvantages of not having a sprung clutch relevant for a car that isn't daily driven?

I'm thinking the 4 puck ACT clutch. It's good to 250 ft*lbs which is more than I'll likely ever make with this motor.

http://www.gomiata.com/actmipe4padr.html

or the F1 racing clutch. Cheap as gently caress and 215 ft*lbs is good enough. Only thing I can guess about this one is that it's heavy. No weight listed but another model by the same manufacturer is listed as heavier than stock.

http://949racing.com/F1-clutch-miata-stage-3.aspx

Finding weights on these guys is a bit difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

FatCow posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a clutch/flywheel for a pure track/autox car (trailer queen)?

http://949racing.com/twindiscclutchmiata.aspx

Hands down the best clutch available for a trailer-queen car. Reduced wear on transmission synchros, extreme weight loss, lower MOI, will probably last forever based on the wear users have seen. It's not something I'd want to DD, but it is an absolute dream on the track and you can still slip it up onto the trailer with ease.

If you can't stomach the price, look for a used Fidanza and go with an ACT HD or an FM clutch.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
That twin disc clutch looks awesome. If I could justify the price I'd get it. I'm sure I'll end up with the F1 flywheel and Stage 3 ceramic clutch for ~$370

Just ordered this scan tool: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto...emZ260408845302

I will let you all know how it works and what code(s) I pull

aventari fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 9, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm going to guess "barely"

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Random ebay find: custom sunroof'ed hardtop

Waffleimages down, sorry if pic dies.

Looks pretty classy.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Neat

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Pulled the trigger on the 949 clutch. Going to start getting the old motor out today. Anyone know how well the 1997 ECU will run a 2001 motor? It's going to take me a bit to get a MS3 built and installed.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
The '97 ECU should run the '01 motor, provided you swap over the required sensors etc. It will most likely be running very lean in open loop (full throttle) because the '01 motor flows much better. I wouldn't track it or drive aggresively, but it should be fine temporarily as transport.

You'll have to do some research on which fuel injectors you want to use. The '99+ are a better design with much better atomization, but require 60psi fuel pressure. The '01+ flow slightly more than the '99-'00 at 60psi. I think the '94-'97s use 45psi, and I know from personal experience that dropping in '99 injectors into a '96 motor without adjusting the fuel pressure make the engine run extremely lean, dangerously lean.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I guess for now I could throw a meter on the stock narrowband to get an idea if it's leaning out at WOT. Switchover for the narrowband from 1 to 0v should be somewhere around stoich right?

I currently only have the NA fuel system, I can still pick up the injectors/rail that came with this motor if need be. The Internet leads me to believe that the NB rail with NA injectors/FPR is the way to go. I need to see for myself that the NA rail won't fit before I pick up the NB rail.

Should be an interesting project, hopefully I'll have it back together by mid October.

[edit]

The area above my tailpipe leads me to believe I'm running very rich at WOT currently.

Washing it would ruin my data collection :smugdog:

FatCow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 9, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How would you know since you never wash your car.

*hasn't driven his car in a month*
*it looks like total loving hell*

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

FatCow posted:

I guess for now I could throw a meter on the stock narrowband to get an idea if it's leaning out at WOT. Switchover for the narrowband from 1 to 0v should be somewhere around stoich right?
Doesn't matter, anything past cruise and you'll be "rich" on the narrowband, although I doubt you have much to worry about. Which wideband will you use? The LC-1 has a narrowband emulator function if I recall correctly, although I recall reviews stating that it's more finicky than the UEGO.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Likely LC-1. I'm planning on doing standalone MS once I get one assembled and working. The car isn't going to be on the street so I don't need A/C or OBD-II emissions poo poo.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I tried using the narrow band output on my LM1 and had nothing but trouble. I gave up. Didn't realize other people had issues too though

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Piano posted:

Random ebay find: custom sunroof'ed hardtop

Waffleimages down, sorry if pic dies.

Looks pretty classy.

Some people are immune to irony

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I drove my Miata year round in Southern Ontario. I pretty much kept the hardtop on from November to April except for a few times to go snow drifting in parking lots. It's a lot more fun with the roof off.

I would have loved a sunroof in my hardtop.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just got my '91 back from the shop - they replaced the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, accessory belts. Car seems to run fine, holds temperature well. Only thing is, it sounds like there's a straight-cut gear in there now - whining like a supercharger. Is that normal for an OEM waterpump?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Just got my '91 back from the shop - they replaced the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, accessory belts. Car seems to run fine, holds temperature well. Only thing is, it sounds like there's a straight-cut gear in there now - whining like a supercharger. Is that normal for an OEM waterpump?

No, and based on the video someone posted earlier, it sounds like they set the tension way too tight on the timing belt.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, and based on the video someone posted earlier, it sounds like they set the tension way too tight on the timing belt.

Hmmm. How hard is that to correct? How serious of a problem if I leave it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd basically need to redo a good chunk of the job to get to it. It'll cause the belt to wear out prematurely.

If it sounds like this that's it.

You won't necessarily need to remove the belt to reset tension on it; you should only need to remove enough to get at and reset the tensioner, but if something slips while you do it, then you're going to have to pull everything apart to reset it.

\/\/ Better idea.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 11, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You don't need to do anything. Take it back to the shop and tell them to put the proper amount of tension on it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I talked to them, they said no problem. I'll run it over next weekend.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
AI, please diagnose my clutch.

Yes, that was all that remained of the pilot bearing, maybe 2-3 balls got away from me but that's it.

TOB is fine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You should probably run some seafoam in it.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd basically need to redo a good chunk of the job to get to it. It'll cause the belt to wear out prematurely.

If it sounds like this that's it.

You won't necessarily need to remove the belt to reset tension on it; you should only need to remove enough to get at and reset the tensioner, but if something slips while you do it, then you're going to have to pull everything apart to reset it.

\/\/ Better idea.

The worst part of a TB job is the crank bolt and getting the belt lined up - re-tensioning should be a 30 minute affair. Pull the VC, the first two plastic covers, and it's exposed - set tension per the FSM and then tighten it back up. Spin the motor over twice and re-check and you're done.

But yeah, if you had a shop do it, then take it back.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I've been following that guy doing the 2jz swap.

It's a shame that engine is just plain way too tall. It's gonna look pretty silly in the end.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

probably heavy as hell too

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
What do you guys think of this?

http://www.grahamgoode.com/website/parts.php?website=16&item=11540001

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

willie_dee posted:

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.grahamgoode.com/website/parts.php?website=16&item=11540001
Garbage. Buy a BEGI-S kit instead.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
A quick question, is the crank pully bolt reverse threded?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

destructo posted:

Garbage. Buy a BEGI-S kit instead.

Is there a supplier in the UK?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

rowebot44 posted:

Not on my 99

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
IIRC it's threaded normally on my 95.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Is there a supplier in the UK?

Pretty sure when you order stuff from begi it takes a month to ship anyway so a few more days to make it overseas isn't a big deal, heh.

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
Thank you guys for the information.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

rowebot44 posted:

You can take it off with the starter if need be. Just did it on Phone's Miata a few weeks ago.

Any suggestions on how to take that bolt off when the engine is on a stand?

Got my engine out. The new clutch is sitting on my kitchen table. Megasquirt and other bits to complete the swap are in the mail. Hopefully I can get everything done by next weekend.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
In other news, is any play on the transmission input shaft normal? You can see what my pilot bearing looked like and I have some play on the input shaft, wondering if I should tear that apart while it's out.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

FatCow posted:

When I have a motor on a stand and the oil pan off, I jam a block of wood between the crankshaft counterweights and the block wall. It stops the crank from turning and doesn't score anything up.

Then hit the bolt with an impact gun or a big-rear end breaker

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with the Cobalt brand catback exhaust systems for sale on miatamania? $349 seems like a decent price and they've been known to go on sale. My current muffler is rusted through in several places and needs to be replaced.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

I took a piece of metal with holes in it from Ace hardware and bent it up a bit, put a bolt through one hole into one of the pressure plate bolts on the flywheel and one longer one through one of the tranny holes in the block.

How much play are you seeing radially on the input shaft? Mine had a decent amount on the one I boned, maybe like 1/16 or 1/8" (can't remember but it's sitting in the garage, can recheck if necessary) and the used one I picked up that shifts very well had a small amount of wiggle to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Blackdawgg posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Cobalt brand catback exhaust systems for sale on miatamania? $349 seems like a decent price and they've been known to go on sale. My current muffler is rusted through in several places and needs to be replaced.
If you want essentially a OEM replacement just get the "tsudo" exhaust off ebay. It's slightly louder than stock and has a 2.25ID