Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

OK, I don't know if anyone else will remember this, but back in either 1999 or 2000, WCW gave Hacksaw Jim Duggan a midcard push. They put either the US or the TV title on him (I don't remember which), and had him defend it on episodes of WCW Worldwide (this was back when they played it on Channel 5 in the UK, with Tenay and Zbysko on commentary). Anyway, I seem to remember them putting him up against a ridiculous stream of "Evil foreigner" caricatures, with him representing the USA. The one I remember most was Fidel Sierra, who wrestled in a singlet with the Cuban flag on it.

Does anyone else remember this? Did I imagine it? Why in god's name would Hacksaw Jim Duggan have been given a push in the year 2000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess they felt that Duggan needed a little push after beating kidney cancer.

I'm fairly sure I have all the various TV episodes he defended his title on if you want a video retrospective.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If I'm not mistaken, Duggan never actually won the TV title. He found it in the trash because Scott Hall had thrown it out a few months beforehand. He was also the last TV champion, as the belt was retired after the Bischoff/Russo reboot in April of 2000.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

Does anyone else remember this? Did I imagine it? Why in god's name would Hacksaw Jim Duggan have been given a push in the year 2000?

It was silly to give him a push in '94 (When he beat Austin for the US Title) let alone 2000. Hacksaw isn't the guy you give belts to. He's the midcard attraction you use to pop a cold crowd in the first hour of a house show.

That said, Hacksaw had friends in high places and was always known as a nice guy.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I will never be able to forgive Jim Duggan for turning Canadian :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Carlton Banks posted:

I will never be able to forgive Jim Duggan for turning Canadian :(

And yet as shocking as something like that was supposed to be, the way Russo wrote it made it utterly predictable and incredibly lame.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, I was bored so you're getting the historic start of Duggan's championship reign on the wonderful show known as WCW Saturday Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqiQFhWaPCo

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MrBling posted:

Well, I was bored so you're getting the historic start of Duggan's championship reign on the wonderful show known as WCW Saturday Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqiQFhWaPCo

Someone on WH2K should start a weekly clip show with an intro for "This Moment in WCW History". There's enough stupid poo poo that this could go on for at least 3 years.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Sadly WWE did the same thing with the European title around the same time. So its not WCW exclusive for finding titles in bins. Mideon found the Euro title in case people cared.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Croc posted:

Sadly WWE did the same thing with the European title around the same time. So its not WCW exclusive for finding titles in bins. Mideon found the Euro title in case people cared.

Amazingly Vince Russo only booked one of these title burials.

Well, I guess he booked both burials. He booked Mideon being given the title by Shane. He booked Hall throwing it away, but not Duggan pulling it out of the trash.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Cornette said he only respected 3 of the 4 workers involved in that skit.

I'm assuming the one left out was Sid, yes?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

Cornette said he only respected 3 of the 4 workers involved in that skit.

I'm assuming the one left out was Sid, yes?

It had to be, and who couldn't respect Sid. Just look at all the brilliant ideas he had.

The July 5th 1993 Wrestling Observer Newsletter posted:

An almost but-not-quite debut of a new tag team called The Possee (formerly the Ebony Experience in GWF) managed by Col. Rob Parker. The original idea was for The Possee to be brought out in chains and shackles, to give the visual impression of a white southerner leading two black men in chains and shackles. The idea, which was the brainchild of one Sid Vicious who was so impressed when working with the duo in a tag team match at the Adkisson Memorial show in Dallas on 4/2, had wanted to bring the duo in with the gimmick of them being escaped murderers managed by Parker (Robert Fuller). The idea was all dressed up and ready to go on television when Eric Bischoff, who apparently didn't know the extent of the angle, nixed it just as it was about to be taped. When WCW President Bill Shaw found out about the idea which almost ran, which no doubt would have caused even more negative phone calls, he found a finger-pointing upper brass all trying to blame others for giving the approval of the idea. While Booker T and Stevie Ray are going to keep their jobs with WCW, when they appeared at the television tapings Monday night, they were instead called Chitown Heat (yeah, I know the punch line, they're bringing in the Power Twins as Music City Showdown and renaming The Black Hearts "Halloween Havoc") and had masking tape over their prisoner uniform numbers and they will no longer be pushed as former prisoners.

I was going to bold more, but I would have to bold 90% of it. It is AMAZING.

The very same newsletter which you can read on https://www.f4wonline.com posted:

Higher-ups in the company caused cancellation of any repeating of the Beach Blast mini-movie on TBS, and also on Thursday canceled all future "Search for Cactus Jack" features, although it was too late to eliminate the most recent one from the Saturday television show and I've heard talk that this coming weekend's segment may still air since the show may have already been produced.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MassRayPer posted:

It had to be, and who couldn't respect Sid. Just look at all the brilliant ideas he had.

:words:

I was going to bold more, but I would have to bold 90% of it. It is AMAZING.

Escaped prisoners? On a chain gang? Bad as that is, the story I had always heard was that they were supposed to be slaves, which is why they had the names Kane and Kole, orginally.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

Escaped prisoners? On a chain gang? Bad as that is, the story I had always heard was that they were supposed to be slaves, which is why they had the names Kane and Kole, orginally.

I think the imagery was supposed to be that of slaves and slave owner but the chain gang thing would be so it didn't look completely racist and abhorrent.

Just really obscenely abhorrent.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If only they had put Sid on the booking team with Russo, Ferrara, Sullivan, and Bischoff. That would have been entertainment.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've never really thought much about this, but watching some of the 1998 stuff has a lot of "executive board" guys talking to Mean Gene and it got me wondering.

Was the "executive vice president" Nick Lambrose actually part of management or was he just a random guy in a suit to try and hide that Bischoff was in fact running stuff.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Interesting trivia that I didnt know:

Goldust got Daniel Bryan'd before Daniel Bryan existed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the first Uncensored PPV is the worst PPV in history.

First we have that Blacktop Bully/Dustin Rhodes match. Held in the back of a moving truck, so the wrestlers didn't do much but punch each other, then try to keep their balance by holding onto the truck and the haybales in the back. The winner was the first to ring a bell at the front part of the truck bed. The match was also pre-recorded and had to be refilmed at some point, since part of the match is filmed in daylight, and part is clearly filmed as the sun is going down...

Meng vs. Jim Duggan was a martial arts match. Meng kept wanting to tie up, but Duggan would back away, then yell USA at the crowd. This took up about 5 minutes of the 7 minute match.

Johnny B. Badd knocked out Arn Anderson in a boxer vs. wrestler match. Badd was at the height of his lipstick and streamers popularity here. Anderson, of course, looks disgusted at the premise of the whole match.

Avalanche vs. Randy Savage. This match ended in DQ after Ric Flair came out of the crowd and attacked Savage. Did I mention Flair was dressed as an old woman?

Big Bubba Rogers vs. Sting. This was a decent match, the only decent match on the card.

Nasty Boys vs. Harlem Heat, Falls count anywhere. This was the infamous concession stand brawl, that ended up with all 4 wrestlers covered in condiments and trying not to slip on the concrete and break their necks.

Vader vs. Hogan, Strap Match. Truly horrible. Hogan is attacked by Ric Flair during the match. Hogan unstraps his strap from Vader and attaches it to Flair, then wins the match by dragging Flair to all four corners. This, combined with the cross-dressing attack on Savage, makes Flair look like a complete fool.

I proudly own this PPV on a VHS tape I bought from a video store that was going out of business, for $2.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Psychlone posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the first Uncensored PPV is the worst PPV in history.

I'm not disagreeing with you since it's been ages since I've seen the first Uncensored PPV; I just want to know: have you seen New Blood Rising and/or Heroes of Wrestling?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Psychlone posted:

Johnny B. Badd knocked out Arn Anderson in a boxer vs. wrestler match. Badd was at the height of his lipstick and streamers popularity here. Anderson, of course, looks disgusted at the premise of the whole match.

Lets be fair; Arn Anderson pretty much looks disgusted every second he isnt actively busting someones spine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Or I-Gen Wrestling, also known as Rodman Down Under on DVD.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Uncensored events in general were just really bad.

1996 has Regal-Finlay as the only good match.

I can't even remember anything from 97. It has a Malenko-Eddie match, I guess that might be good.

1998 is just horrible and might even challenge 1995 in terms of horribleness.

1999 had a first blood cage match between Flair and Hogan which didn't end when Flair got busted open. Instead Flair won by pinning Hogan later.

I guess 2000 has Knobbs taking on all of 3-Count (who are co-Hardcore champions) and beating them.

But yes, Uncensored was really just not good in any year.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uncensored, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rztF25s1MRo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MrBling posted:

The Uncensored events in general were just really bad.

1996 has Regal-Finlay as the only good match.

I can't even remember anything from 97. It has a Malenko-Eddie match, I guess that might be good.

1998 is just horrible and might even challenge 1995 in terms of horribleness.

1999 had a first blood cage match between Flair and Hogan which didn't end when Flair got busted open. Instead Flair won by pinning Hogan later.

I guess 2000 has Knobbs taking on all of 3-Count (who are co-Hardcore champions) and beating them.

But yes, Uncensored was really just not good in any year.

You are completely wrong about Uncensored 98. The first half of the show is great, and the Three Way between Benoit/Raven/DDP is a classic. The second half of the show is AWFUL.

99 has a few good matches but they are spread out between some bad stuff.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

CVagts posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you since it's been ages since I've seen the first Uncensored PPV; I just want to know: have you seen New Blood Rising and/or Heroes of Wrestling?

I have seen Heroes of Wrestling. Uncensored 95 is worse.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
Heroes of Wrestling is worth it for Jake the Snake's insane promo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is a one hell of a bump, but how in the gently caress did I not know about this:

quote:

After leaving the USWA Champion began working for World Championship Wrestling (WCW), where he was given the ring persona "Yoshi Kwan", managed by Harley Race. The Yoshi Kwan character was billed as being from Asia (either Hunan or Hong Kong) and wore makeup to make him appear to be both Asian and slightly slant eyed. As Yoshi Kwan he feuded with Cactus Jack, the two face off in a singles match at WCW's 1993 Fall Brawl which Foley won.[7] After the loss to Foley Champion suffered a knee injury that prevented him from wrestling and not long after he was out of WCW all together. Champion worked as "Yoshi Kwan" on the American independent circuit and later adopted a character called "Sinn" that he used both in the US and later on in England.[8]

Yoshi Kwan vs Tommy Angel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wmdcNxxa5s
Yoshi Kwan vs Buck Quartermain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJPeL_1P-I (or Bruce according to the graphic. Way to go WCW.)

Jesus Christ, this is AWFUL even by WCW's standards.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
You didn't know about Yoshi Kwan? I thought he was one of the color pictures inside of Death of WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

You didn't know about Yoshi Kwan? I thought he was one of the color pictures inside of Death of WCW.

It may be something that slipped my mind, but when I saw the name pop up in the new back Observer I thought "Who the gently caress is this?" and googled him.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

He was in Wrestlecrap, not Death of WCW.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Early 90s was a bad time to be randomly assigned gimmicks, not just in WCW.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Duggan never actually won the TV title. He found it in the trash because Scott Hall had thrown it out a few months beforehand. He was also the last TV champion, as the belt was retired after the Bischoff/Russo reboot in April of 2000.

This is one of my favorite things about wrestling - the magical teleporting locations. Hall throws a belt in the garbage months earlier and magically, the exact same trashcan is still present at the arena where Hacksaw finds it. And luckily for him, no one took the garbage out! A magical teleporting trashcan, just like the APA's magical teleporting office. It's so stupid but I think it's awesome to just treat wrestling like it's in some sort of pocket universe where physical locations don't really matter.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Tato posted:

This is one of my favorite things about wrestling - the magical teleporting locations. Hall throws a belt in the garbage months earlier and magically, the exact same trashcan is still present at the arena where Hacksaw finds it. And luckily for him, no one took the garbage out! A magical teleporting trashcan, just like the APA's magical teleporting office. It's so stupid but I think it's awesome to just treat wrestling like it's in some sort of pocket universe where physical locations don't really matter.

Its always amazed me how, despite always being in a different city, the backstage area always looks exactly the loving same.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Axo Grande posted:

Its always amazed me how, despite always being in a different city, the backstage area always looks exactly the loving same.

That is not true as Jericho got lost once.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true as Jericho got lost once.

did they do the Spinal Tap "Walking to the stage" schtick?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lamuella posted:

did they do the Spinal Tap "Walking to the stage" schtick?

He did because Jericho is awesome. He was also allowed to basically book himself since he was never going to make any money.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkZCtZ-6IU

He did it a few times, unless I'm forgetting something.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MrBling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkZCtZ-6IU

He did it a few times, unless I'm forgetting something.

loving how he accidentally opened the door and then had to pretend it was locked.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lamuella posted:

loving how he accidentally opened the door and then had to pretend it was locked.

Watch when Wraith comes out at the end you can see a guy opening the other door.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

it's weird how different the two companies' attitudes to the undercard were. WCW seemed to think "We don't give a gently caress about them, so let them do what they want", whereas WWE seem to think "We don't give a gently caress about them, so let's book them in a boring and halfassed way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warbrides
May 11, 2009

Lamuella posted:

it's weird how different the two companies' attitudes to the undercard were. WCW seemed to think "We don't give a gently caress about them, so let them do what they want", whereas WWE seem to think "We don't give a gently caress about them, so let's book them in a boring and halfassed way"

I always remember this whenever anyone says anything remotely bad about WCW. They really did do a lot (mostly by accident) to promote the future workers of the industry.