Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Knee pads really help but for long boarding slide gloves are probably just as important to have as a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I ALWAYS wear slide gloves when I skate. I can't skate comfortably without them anymore. I have some Smith Scabs knee pads I wear if I'm going to be going over pushing speed and sliding a lot, they're beefy and awesome

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
So hopefully I wrapped up my idiotic week today with a plunge.

I was riding from my work's parking garage downtown to class about a mile away, still sore from the spill on Saturday. I hit a bump -- a bump I've hit a million times -- my knee refused to stay flexed and I wound up doing the splits on this bridge that overpasses the White River canal, which runs right through Indianapolis. One foot on the board, one foot on the pavement... lose th eboard off the bridge right into the canal. SO, yeah, a swim in the canal, that sucked. Hopefully none of my existing road rash gets infected.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
So the day after I bought my longboard I went for a ~16km ride (home from work). It took me about 2 1/2 hours since I took my sweet time, took some breaks and got lost for about a half hour.

I did the same run today, got home within an hour, I think it was somewhere in the area of 57 minutes or something. It's been about two months now since I bought my board and I'm pretty happy now :)

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Mugmoor posted:

So the day after I bought my longboard I went for a ~16km ride (home from work). It took me about 2 1/2 hours since I took my sweet time, took some breaks and got lost for about a half hour.

I did the same run today, got home within an hour, I think it was somewhere in the area of 57 minutes or something. It's been about two months now since I bought my board and I'm pretty happy now :)

Cool, have you cruised over to pavedwave.org yet?

On a separate topic, I don't like that a 100-mile skate is an "ultraskate." 100 miles on a wheeled board isn't an ultra distance, IMO, like 100 miles is an ultra distance for running. 100 miles would be equivalent to a marathon, IMO, with 3-400 miles being an ultra distance. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Only the earliest uploaded footage so far. There's bound to be more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDlni21e4TM

Today was Toronto's 9th annual board meeting! 427 riders bombed down Yonge street that just so happens to have a killer hill on it.

Just about the most fun event I've been a part of.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Today was Toronto's 9th annual board meeting! 427 riders bombed down Yonge street that just so happens to have a killer hill on it.

That's great. Where in the ride is that hill?

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

Looks like it was a rad time, sorry I missed it :(.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

RobotEmpire posted:

That's great. Where in the ride is that hill?

It's first thing. We send all the kids and weaker riders + those without helmets down an easier route and they end up at the bottom of the hill. They stop traffic and clog the streets so that the rest of us can bomb Yonge St from the top.

Final count is somewhere between 450-475 riders.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

It's first thing. We send all the kids and weaker riders + those without helmets down an easier route and they end up at the bottom of the hill. They stop traffic and clog the streets so that the rest of us can bomb Yonge St from the top.

Final count is somewhere between 450-475 riders.

That one kid who fell about halfway through the video looked like he slid for a good 20 feet, was he not hurt? Slide gloves sure, but he was on his knees too, poo poo looked painful

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You're longboarding, it happens. I have gnar on all four limbs and my butt that are still healing from a race a few weeks ago. It's only painful when you're scrubbing all the city dirt out to prevent a staph infection.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Yeah my scabs are still sloughing off but loving A he slid forever.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
It's a rush when it happens, that's for sure. I've had to go down at 30 in the middle of a sharp left-hander, it's intense. My slide gloves saved my palms, but my longsleeve shirt and shorts did not help. In fact, some clothes actually stick to pavement and give you rugburn.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

DELETED posted:

It's a rush when it happens, that's for sure. I've had to go down at 30 in the middle of a sharp left-hander, it's intense. My slide gloves saved my palms, but my longsleeve shirt and shorts did not help. In fact, some clothes actually stick to pavement and give you rugburn.

I'm buying knee pads and gloves tomorrow, and maybe elbow pads, depending.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

Looks like it was a rad time, sorry I missed it :(.

Oh mugmoor I totally forgot: Add ontariolongboarding.com to your daily visits. We're super active and one of the best longboarding communities you'll ever find.

Nuts to the LDPers at pavedwave and the idiots on silverfish.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

RobotEmpire posted:

I'm buying knee pads and gloves tomorrow, and maybe elbow pads, depending.

If you have the means, you can make your own gloves, save some money, and customize them to your preference. I've had good luck using plastic cutting boards and just cutting pucks out of those (harbor freight is good for these), then attaching them to gloves that fit comfortably. I've used hot glue before, but something like velcro would be better since it will separate easier. This good because you can replace pucks as needed. You also want your puck to detach if it gets caught in a crack or something, it really sucks when a seam in some concrete catches your puck and it stays firmly attached to a glove firmly attached to your hand.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Great thing to see that many people cruising around, props!

I did 50 kms saturday, all by myself. Nice and all but I'm envious of you peeps, I'm sure it's much better with good company.

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
So my first skateboard in close to 15 years or so arrived last week, and after getting accustomed to it in my apartment (standing on carpet, etc), I waited until late at night (I live in a busy city), took it in a quiet lane-way and....

.. stood on it and fell off in spectacular fashion, falling and living up to the thread title. Well, not quite, but my wrist is really sore and it hurts when I pick things up.

Not to be put off, I found another lane-way with a more road-like surface than the glass-smooth tiles of the previous one. This time with a bit more success.

I seem to have an issue with not keeping my weight centered (or a little too far to the back), and the board feels like it is getting away from me.

Oh well, got to stick with it.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

ssergE posted:

.. stood on it and fell off in spectacular fashion, falling and living up to the thread title. Well, not quite, but my wrist is really sore and it hurts when I pick things up.

My wrists were pretty well swollen for the first week or two of learning. If there's one thing you should try to learn first, it's how to fall (roll, don't use your limbs).

Keep at it! The second thing you might want to learn is to refrain from trying a trick with which you aren't comfortable yet when a construction worker bugs you to "do a totally sweet trick" because it will "completely make his day". I'm still learning this one, but my tore up palm should provide extra incentive.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

ssergE posted:

I seem to have an issue with not keeping my weight centered (or a little too far to the back), and the board feels like it is getting away from me.

Bend your knees and lower your center of gravity. You will be less wobbly. Keep your shoulders over the board and parallel to it. I see lots of folks trying to ride with their shoulders perpendicular to the board, this makes it harder to stay balanced. Also make sure your feet are perpendicular to the board and directly over the bolts (while you learn) instead of putting your front foot parallel or something like that. The most important thing is doing it a whole lot.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

My wrists were pretty well swollen for the first week or two of learning. If there's one thing you should try to learn first, it's how to fall (roll, don't use your limbs).

This is true to a point. If you are going faster than you can sprint, you'll probably get hurt. Sometimes it's better to just slide on your rear end/side/whatever. Also, get your weight forward and commit, it's easier to stay balanced with a little speed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you watch enough footage of Hosoi and Gator, you can do anything. Anything.

Rygar
Aug 25, 2002

Bucket Joneses posted:

If you watch enough footage of Hosoi and Gator, you can do anything. Anything.
Like murder and meth addiction?

roastpork
Oct 13, 2005

My underbelly is rock hard. It can go all night.

ssergE posted:

So my first skateboard in close to 15 years or so arrived last week, and after getting accustomed to it in my apartment (standing on carpet, etc), I waited until late at night (I live in a busy city), took it in a quiet lane-way and....

Not to be put off, I found another lane-way with a more road-like surface than the glass-smooth tiles of the previous one. This time with a bit more success.

I have this problem with smoother surfaces as well. I can't balance for poo poo on it, but streets are just fine.

Speaking of streets, should I look into getting some newer wheels? I just have some Pig wheels that came with the (pre-done) board, they're okay for roads but it feels a little wrong. Like any small stone will stop me and send me flying. Should I be looking into bigger wheels or something? :confused:

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Keep at it! The second thing you might want to learn is to refrain from trying a trick with which you aren't comfortable yet when a construction worker bugs you to "do a totally sweet trick" because it will "completely make his day". I'm still learning this one, but my tore up palm should provide extra incentive.

UPDATE: wrist is broken. :-(

Thanks for the tips, once i am healed enough back on i go.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Man I don't know what I'm gonna do once the snow hits. I guess Snowboard but I can't do that any drat time I want to like I can with longboarding :(. What do you guys usually end up doing?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone is looking to make some slide gloves, snag some affordable quality pucks here: http://phatdeanz.com/Products.aspx
I use an older version (different bevel) of the normal size 3x3" square palms. Great pucks and super cheap and they'll be shipped fast. There are also 70mm and 76mm GRIPPY wheels, bushings, kingpins, truck tune-up kits (awesome value) and braking soles to keep your shoes lasting.

Anyway... I modified my Fullbag a bit. I added wheel wells for a 25" wheelbase, extended and rounded out the waist on the toeside more, and shaved just a bit off the heelside in the rear.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs323.ash2/60338_158395014172881_100000071507487_519276_5146468_n.jpg
Its really fun, but this board just isn't a great shape for me.
My symmetrical drop-deck has proven to be a pretty fun board, but I'm not liking the lack of leverage and grip I get with Independant trucks. I want to topmount the Independents and get some higher-angle reverse-kingpin trucks for the drop deck, since I only have Randal 42s

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

Man I don't know what I'm gonna do once the snow hits. I guess Snowboard but I can't do that any drat time I want to like I can with longboarding :(. What do you guys usually end up doing?

It's not like Toronto really gets any snow...............

*edit almost forgot!*

So here's what I've been up to this summer. I work for a company called Roarockit Skateboard Company where I teach everyone from 10 years of age to some guy in his mid thirties how to build a deck. We go through every step discussing everything from the glue to the veneers to the easy as poo poo pressing system. It's a really simple process and if you've ever tried your hand at making a board you've probably come across roarockit's bag (or heard about it).

It's just about the most fun job in the world, I get to hang with kids and pretend I'm not about to hit thirty and when I have free time I make my own!

What you see are 1" drop decks. They're all 8-ply hard maple decks. These are all the same mold and template, except for the middle one, it's a narrower version with a slightly longer wheelbase with a black dyed veneer on the bottom face and definitely my best craftsmanship to date. My girlfriend hung out with me that day and worked on a little pinstriping stencil that we applied later that night.

It didn't come out perfect but for her first exposure to spray paint and stencilling she did a fantastic job.

I'm off to halifax for a week, gonna thrash that sexy board on their hills.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 16, 2010

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Mugmoor posted:

Learn to skate a bowl!

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Mugmoor posted:

Wear a jacket and put lithium grease in my beater bearings.

nothing awful
Mar 14, 2009
Helloooo goons!

I am just starting my hobby deck brand and am looking for a couple people to review them for me. So far everyone I know that's bought one loves them, but I want to make sure they're goon-approved. They're made in the US by a reputable manufacturer so i promise you won't be riding junk china wood.

You won't have to pay for anything except for shipping. Only catch is that you skate hard enough and often enough (i.e: everyday) that you have the authority to judge quality. So if you or someone you know is obsessed with skateboarding, you've got footage to back it up, then drop me an email at mailtime@skatefriendly.com and then we'll experiment to see if you think my boards suck or not.

Gracias.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rygar posted:

Like murder and meth addiction?

Heh heh. Hilarious.

OBVIOUS OBSERVATIONS!

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

It's not like Toronto really gets any snow...............

*edit almost forgot!*

So here's what I've been up to this summer. I work for a company called Roarockit Skateboard Company where I teach everyone from 10 years of age to some guy in his mid thirties how to build a deck. We go through every step discussing everything from the glue to the veneers to the easy as poo poo pressing system. It's a really simple process and if you've ever tried your hand at making a board you've probably come across roarockit's bag (or heard about it).

It's just about the most fun job in the world, I get to hang with kids and pretend I'm not about to hit thirty and when I have free time I make my own!

What you see are 1" drop decks. They're all 8-ply hard maple decks. These are all the same mold and template, except for the middle one, it's a narrower version with a slightly longer wheelbase with a black dyed veneer on the bottom face and definitely my best craftsmanship to date. My girlfriend hung out with me that day and worked on a little pinstriping stencil that we applied later that night.

It didn't come out perfect but for her first exposure to spray paint and stencilling she did a fantastic job.

I'm off to halifax for a week, gonna thrash that sexy board on their hills.

How much is all this? I'd totally drop by and make a board for next summer sometime.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Here, have some more pictures! I'm spending the week out in halifax so I took some free time to grip my new board!

Borrowed some elements from the stencil we used for the bottom so I think it's fitting!

Mugmoor posted:

How much is all this? I'd totally drop by and make a board for next summer sometime.

It varies but you can learn how to build a simple 1" drop deck for 195 or learn how to make your own mold and template and everything else for almost 300.

GhostGuy
Sep 3, 2009
Never knew we had a skateboard thread. Neat.

I've been riding my Arbor Hybrid for a while now. Really fun board. When I skate, it's mostly concrete-surf style. I try to replicate stuff I'd do on my surf board. Makes for good practice, and it's fun. I probably look like a dipshit in the process since 99% of skaters around here are just into the modern flippy stuff, but I don't really care.

I've been riding the embankments along the LA River a lot lately. Not the big fuckoff embankment that leads down to the water, the one on the other side of the bike trail that you see under some of the bridges. It feels a lot like surfing a nice mellow point break. Only bad side is that there's only a 10~ foot wide bike path between the good embankment and the embankment that leads to LA's smelliest water. I've only lost my board to the river once, luckily. Had to skate home barefoot though because I soaked my shoes getting it out. There's also plenty of broken glass around from the dumbasses that toss their empty 40s over the bridge, so I always try to bring a broom.

Do we have any other surfers around here? Looked around for a surf thread, but didn't see one (Point me in the right direction if I missed it...). Any interest in a surfing thread?

Edit: Oh yeah, anybody have experience with the Carver skateboards? Seems like they just have a modified front truck. Are they as fun as they seem? I'd love to take my surf-skate to the next level, but I don't want to drop the cash on one without hearing plenty of feedback.

GhostGuy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 19, 2010

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

GhostGuy posted:

I've been riding my Arbor Hybrid for a while now. Really fun board. When I skate, it's mostly concrete-surf style. I try to replicate stuff I'd do on my surf board. Makes for good practice, and it's fun. I probably look like a dipshit in the process since 99% of skaters around here are just into the modern flippy stuff, but I don't really care.

If Dogtown & Z-Boys is accurate, emulating surfboard moves is how skateboarding started out, so gently caress 'em :)

quote:

I've only lost my board to the river once, luckily. Had to skate home barefoot though because I soaked my shoes getting it out.

Sup "lost-my-board-in-a-body-of-water-and-had-to-go-in-after-it" buddy

quote:

Edit: Oh yeah, anybody have experience with the Carver skateboards? Seems like they just have a modified front truck. Are they as fun as they seem? I'd love to take my surf-skate to the next level, but I don't want to drop the cash on one without hearing plenty of feedback.

Have you thought about getting a Subsonic Pulse? It's an LDP board but it's conducive to the slides I assume you're interesting in doing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That's a very flexy board. Great for pumping and dancing, bad for free riding and downhill.

What kind of riding do you want to get down to Ghost?

GhostGuy
Sep 3, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

That's a very flexy board. Great for pumping and dancing, bad for free riding and downhill.

What kind of riding do you want to get down to Ghost?

Mostly carving and power turns, embankment riding, maybe a little light downhill (Haven't done high speed downhill since I separated my shoulder. Kept me out of the water for weeks :-/). I'd like it if it had a little bit of length because I tend to move around on the board a lot, and my stance is on the wider side even though I'm a shorty. I've been playing around with cross stepping and other forms of fancy footwork lately, so the length would be nice there too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Let's hear it for:

Rainy Weather

Working nights

An empty parking garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Let's hear it for:

Rainy Weather

Working nights

An empty parking garage

It's rainy weather
An empty parking garage.
I love working nights.

It was so close to being a haiku, i had to.