Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
gently caress yeah, Four Lions arrived in the post. Anyone got a cardboard slim style DVD box instead of the usual plastic issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress yeah, Four Lions arrived in the post. Anyone got a cardboard slim style DVD box instead of the usual plastic issue?

That's all it was selling as in HMV in my town, so I guess it's probably standard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think that's standard, had a quick look at the box (with almost no text on it) and I think it was card. The sturdy kind, not really slim if you asked me. Nice case.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Saw the slim box in HMV but at 18 quid i wait till its bargin bin or preowned before getting it while its at that price.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Plucky Brit posted:

I wish my headmaster was half as awesome as the Inbetweeners one.

He was actually a teacher before he started comedy/acting.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Thought that the last episode of Grandma's House was awesome. Very dark, and very funny. It also, I think, expanded Clive's character and made him more sympathetic: yes, we was being a total drunken oval office, but it also proved that he wasn't quite as vacuous as Simon or we thought.

Another thing I liked about the show was that the fact that Simon is gay has never been a focal plot point or the punchline of any joke; I've found that even in these liberal, tolerant times of ours, homosexuals are rarely treated as ordinary people - their sexuality is almost always crucial to their character.

The same thing, in fact, applies to ethnic minorities as depicted on television: they may be likeable, decent people, but their ethnicity, their simple not-white-ness, is always important to their character or the plot of the show they're in.

Curb Your Enthusiasm in particular annoys me with this (and it's one of my favourite shows) because it has literally never featured a black character whose essential, defining characteristic is that they're black.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Competition posted:

He was actually a teacher before he started comedy/acting.

Ah, real life experince. Nothing can top it.

Can't wait for next weeks episode already.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Am I alone in thinking that new Inbetweeners wasn't that good? I did enjoy it but I seem to remember the first series being a fair bit funnier, possibly I'm just imagining that though

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 14, 2010

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

CJ posted:

I was rewatching the peeing in public episode of Screenwipe just now and apparently after they filmed the episode Charlie brooker and Konnie Huq started dating and are now married. :psyduck:

I hope he asked her out by shouting at her in a childish voice whilst making a face. Then told her to go away.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I enjoyed The Inbetweeners well enough, but I hope every episode doesn't end in the most humiliating way possible. Peep Show went through a series or or two where the worst thing that could possibly happen did happen at the end of every single episode, and it was always better when these moments were balanced by some happiness and small victories.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

slotbadger posted:

I hope he asked her out by shouting at her in a childish voice whilst making a face. Then told her to go away.

You realise, that charlie brooker is more or less a normal guy and he puts most of the stuff he does on screenwipe on. Literally when it was announced that they got married (or went on honeymoon, whatever) in vegas some goon went..

some goony goon goon posted:

That doesnt sound very charlie brooker like :qq: why would he do this?? this doesnt fit into my perception of him AT ALL!? :qq:

Well they didnt say that exactly but thats what they basically said. did you expect him to get married in a church that looks like a tv set whilst the priest randown the 1op 10 shittest tv marriages whilst he critiqued them to raucous applause and laughter whilst the themetune to zelda played?

EDIT, also he isnt that normal or down to earth apparently a friend of mine who used to work in tv said that it got out he used to try and sleep around with staff on his show and he did managed to pull an 18 or 19 year old. She told every one he kept saying "i cant believe im loving an 18-year old!!" during sex. She said it wasnt that uncommon for presenters to do that but with brooker it was just loving awkward. As i said thats the rumour that was going round a few years ago.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 14, 2010

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I still like the Charlie Brooker post-coital Guitar Hero story.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Junkenstein posted:

I still like the Charlie Brooker post-coital Guitar Hero story.

Mid-coital actually.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god, should I ask?

And I do hope that we get decent ending for a couple episodes for Will and company.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god, should I ask?

And I do hope that we get decent ending for a couple episodes for Will and company.
So do I but I don't think there will be one, they will always gently caress everything up in the end somehow. Really would be better if a few lasting good things happened to them though, if it's just relentless humiliation it kind of takes the fun out a bit.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Says it all really

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LE0N posted:

EDIT, also he isnt that normal or down to earth apparently a friend of mine who used to work in tv said that it got out he used to try and sleep around with staff on his show and he did managed to pull an 18 or 19 year old. She told every one he kept saying "i cant believe im loving an 18-year old!!" during sex. She said it wasnt that uncommon for presenters to do that but with brooker it was just loving awkward. As i said thats the rumour that was going round a few years ago.

Yeah this does sound exactly like something his tv character would do. That fiend, ensnaring the lovely Konnie. I bet it wasn't even a proper Muslim wedding.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

LE0N posted:

Anyone who used to read the scatological faux-Beanos he used to draw for PCZone knows Charlie is an odd fellow.

Also: saw the preview episode of Idiot Abroad. Couldnt stop laughing.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

c0burn posted:

Says it all really

God drat, I wouldn't roll over her to get to Guitar Hero.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Just watched Inbetweeners

I thought it was a strong start for the series. The episode felt quite low key, which I liked. All the characters got something to do and for the first time Will wasn't the most dickish character on screen (that goes to the boy in the wheelchair, who's name escapes me) The highlights for me were; Simon sulking on the shed, Will getting ready to start on wheelchair boy, Jay's one-sided conversation with Carli on volunteering to be s model and Charlotte's brutal honesty crushing Will. Simon's exposed left bollock was funny but it felt a bit staged.

And no one poo poo themselves, hurrah!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

This is england was better than last week. I still don't really get what direction the show wants to take, but it's entertaining. Still holding out that combo turns up and ruins everybodies poo poo.

Dennis Nedry
Feb 13, 2008
oh geez
Simons exposed bollock instantly reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXSgS0ThLI

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I don't suppose anyone knows about getting a dish installed to pick up foreign TV channels (Turkish)?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Bah, can anybody find last night's CDWM on 4od? I practically bum Iain Lee and everything he does so I wanted to watch it. Apparently Lembit Opik was an utter oval office but everybody else came across well.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Dennis Nedry posted:

Simons exposed bollock instantly reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXSgS0ThLI

It reminded me of the outdoors sketches from The Fast Show.

Ned! Your bollock's hanging out!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 15, 2010

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Ramsays Best Restaurant was pretty good I thought. It's no Kitchen Nightmares but I liked the three tests that they did, it had a realness to it even though it's a competition show.

Did anyone who watch it think that even though Casamia had won a Michelin Star, they didn't seem like they deserved it? The food might have been exciting (if not palletable to everyone) but the front of house didn't seem quite up to par.

I thought the stars only went to truly superb restaurants in both their food and service, perhaps they are not as prestigious as I thought.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Jamie's American School Dinners confuses me. I can understand why he would want to change the diets of the nations school children. But why go to America and try and make the same impact? He is only tackling one school in one state which has it's own rules and regulations on school meals which are different from the other 49 states.

He doesn't seem to of done any research or homework in to the system. He just drops in on one hill billy town (lets face it, it's West Virginia) acts all smug on small time radio station gets defensive when the host tries to bring him back down to reality. Does his usual shtick of acting gasped and mortified that children eat crap that is put in front of them and waste food like he's never seen this before.

Kisses the rear end of all the lunch ladies, prattles on about how tough it will be to change them and see things from his POV and then turns in to a wet lettuce when the tabloids muddle his words where he did pretty much say they were morons who don't know any better. But never mind a quick cry and pity speech in front of some kids while a piano plays in the background will pick up your spirits Jamie. Go on throw a load of unhealthy snacks on to a table for shock value and bury a deep fat fryer that will help change Americas eating habits. Now what do you want, grilled chicken or pizza? :911:

EDIT - I'll just leave this here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWkWQ-39KLo

Ronnie fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 15, 2010

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

The Perfect Element posted:

The same thing, in fact, applies to ethnic minorities as depicted on television: they may be likeable, decent people, but their ethnicity, their simple not-white-ness, is always important to their character or the plot of the show they're in.

Curb Your Enthusiasm in particular annoys me with this (and it's one of my favourite shows) because it has literally never featured a black character whose essential, defining characteristic is that they're black.

These two sentences seem at odds to me. You want a character who's defining characteristic is that they're black?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jamie Oliver is an idiot. He is doing this out of his own free will and ego. Don't feel bad if he wimps out all over your screen. Enjoy it, like a fine wine and delicately assembled food item of your choice.

After watching Four Lions I got to say it one of my favourite recent Brit films next to Hot Fuzz and Sean of the Dead. I can't believe myself for thinking they might not do it but Chris Morris doesn't shy away from poo poo. The mans a genius. Alas poor Brother Crow for not blowing up those evil sex shops!

I've got a question myself too, I have World War 1 In Colour and I quite enjoy the DVD menu music which is non existent outside the actual DVD. Any way I could take the music from the menu straight from my DVD?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've got a question myself too, I have World War 1 In Colour and I quite enjoy the DVD menu music which is non existent outside the actual DVD. Any way I could take the music from the menu straight from my DVD?

Some mix of DVD Shrink and generally pottering about in the disc should do it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ronnie posted:

acts all smug on small time radio station gets defensive when the host tries to bring him back down to reality.
If you choose to believe that the stance taken by most of the people opposing him in that program, especially that radio host, is reasonable and justified then you're an idiot.

If that town literally is the most unhealthy in America then they have no right to be so defensive about somebody trying to change things, especially since a lot of it is framed with "well this is UHMERIKA!" like whenever somebody would say "Oh right well I suppose the UK is perfect" and Jaime would say "Well, no, obesity is a big problem there, too."

The program was rubbish in it's presentation and all of that, though. It seems like it's made for US TV with American narration and all the trappings of the lovely US-versions of UK shows like Supernanny and Kitchen Nightmares, like the constant lovely music that's supposed to be dramatic (OH MY GOD SOMETHING SHOCKING/SICKENING IS HAPPENING) or emooootional (oh this is so sad! :ohdear:) and Jamie isn't anywhere near likable enough for this sort of thing.

But he genuinely did make a difference here so let's not get ahead of ourselves with the inevitable "Jaime Oliver's a oval office therefore everything he does is worthless" poo poo.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

SeanBeansShako posted:

If you've got a mac you can use Audio Hijack to record it - http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/ - I guess there's a similar program for Windows.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alas I don't have a mac but any excuse to post a Snuffbox sketch.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

justcola posted:

This is england was better than last week. I still don't really get what direction the show wants to take, but it's entertaining. Still holding out that combo turns up and ruins everybodies poo poo.

I'm really liking it, all of the characters are very well acted and I dig the cinematography also. The only problem is they have too much 'Lol' acting all moody and bitching/being emo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

justcola posted:

He's in the ads they ran before it started, but we don't seem him ruining any poo poo.

My main problem with This Is England '86 is that the ad breaks totally ruin the pacing. Just before the first episode came on the continuity guy said it was going to run "straight through" without ads, so I was like "gently caress yes!" but then there was an ad break after 10 minutes and I realised he meant between Big Brother ending and This Is England '86 starting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Watching that Drama Doc about that Young Spitfire pilot on iPlayer, excellent so far.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Apart from the too-long intro for the school dinners program, I thought it was actually alright for a US-produced program, certainly none of the digital zoom reaction shot edits onto people's faces you get on poo poo like US Kitchen Nightmares. It also didn't repeat itself after advert breaks, which is more than you can say for some UK TV programs (Location, Hotel Inspector etc).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Carpet posted:

It also didn't repeat itself after advert breaks, which is more than you can say for some UK TV programs
gently caress, yeah, that's a terrible trend and I'm really annoyed that it's made it's way over here. It's so blatantly in there to pad out the running time. I'd rather have more ads than have the same loving sequence of something ever so slightly dramatic shown before and after it happens, at least twice.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

What I hated about the Heston Blumenthal shows is how the start of the episode would preview the entire show and reveal everything he was about to do, and then before each ad break you'd get what was coming next spoiled for you to. I don't need previews of what's going to happen in a show I'm already happily watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I quite liked the latest Jamie Oliver show. But then again I quite like him. Who cares if you are self publicizing by doing something quite worthwhile and decent? :stare: