Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I know that it's not symbian but since this is where everyone is posting it: I replaced my N900 with a Galaxy S today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I got invited to an E73 beach house party on Saturday. Groovy.

edit: just found out its an open event
Address is 17085 South Pacific in Huntington Beach

200th Poster posted:

I know that it's not symbian but since this is where everyone is posting it: I replaced my N900 with a Galaxy S today.

sudo enjoy it
oh wait...

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 19, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Pics of the C7

http://tech.163.com/mobile/10/0818/06/6EBNQOPG00112K8F.html

The build quality and feel is said to be very close to the E71/E72
1200 mah battery
8MP camera with LED flash
Stereo speakers
3.5" 640x360 capacitive screen

And some videos
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/nokia-c7-given-a-full-video-preview-still-not-announced/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxsF-KsepE

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Tran posted:

sudo enjoy it
oh wait...

You can have root access on Android?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

200th Poster posted:

I got rid of my E71 for a Desire on Tuesday. Rooted it, put Cyanogenmod6 on it, and my god it rules so much

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Who's going to be symbian buddies with me :smith:

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
I am. I just got a new e73.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Noxious posted:

I am. I just got a new e73.

I just got one to play with yesterday. Nokia was shooting some video for the E73 and asked me to wear a three piece suit and go jetskiiing.

I like the button layout better than the E72. The E73 doesn't like my wifi router and wont connect.

edit: found a firmware update when I hooked it up to my computer. Wifi works fine now.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 23, 2010

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

I just got one to play with yesterday. Nokia was shooting some video for the E73 and asked me to wear a three piece suit and go jetskiiing.

I like the button layout better than the E72. The E73 doesn't like my wifi router and wont connect.

edit: found a firmware update when I hooked it up to my computer. Wifi works fine now.

Yeah, I got mine all updated. I just bought the Joiku Hotspot thing but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is because it is a new phone or what. I should have tried the free version first, but it is only $5 this month so I impulse bought. I'm not sure if it is related to the fact that I also can't seem to get it to tether my laptop through the USB or the Bluetooth.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Noxious posted:

Yeah, I got mine all updated. I just bought the Joiku Hotspot thing but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if it is because it is a new phone or what. I should have tried the free version first, but it is only $5 this month so I impulse bought. I'm not sure if it is related to the fact that I also can't seem to get it to tether my laptop through the USB or the Bluetooth.

I think it has issues with the E73 because the wifi is all weird to accommodate T-Mobile UMA. They should have a new version out soon.

Do you have PC Suite or Ovi Suite installed?

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

I think it has issues with the E73 because the wifi is all weird to accommodate T-Mobile UMA. They should have a new version out soon.

Do you have PC Suite or Ovi Suite installed?

Yeah, I have tried both of those, as well as the "Nokia PC internet access" application that loads when you select "Connect PC to Internet" as an option on the phone when you plug it in by USB.

It just seems to get hung up on "Preparing Your E73".

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Just jumped ship and got a free Blackberry phone my carrier provides. Planning to get a top of the line android sometime next year. After 3 days of using another OS (even a crappy one by smartphone standards), I never want to look back.

gently caress you Symbian, and gently caress you OVI. I won't be coming back to Nokia until they release an android phone.

Sorry for the anger-filled post guys, and best of luck for those of you still dealing with symbian.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 25, 2010

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

gently caress. All I want to do is download sports tracker but I get the runaround everywhere to be led to the lovely Ovi store. I've got the store installed from a firmware update but it won't run. It's just a dead link in my apps list, nothing happens when I click it or try to open it any other way. I can't even delete it, and trying to download the ovi store again just gives me a "file corrupted" message when it comes time to install.

gently caress Symbian. gently caress Nokia. Issues with my E71 and their lackluster support has slowly taken its toll on me over the past year or two that I've had this device and I can safely say that I will never own another Nokia device again. Can't wait to get the money for something android.

fake e: I love how the symbian thread has devolved in to people jumping ship for android or blackberry. They've really shot themselves in the foot here

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Freezer posted:

Just jumped ship and got a free Blackberry phone my carrier provides. Planning to get a top of the line android sometime next year. After 3 days of using another OS (even a crappy one by smartphone standards), I never want to look back.

gently caress you Symbian, and gently caress you OVI. I won't be coming back to Nokia until they release an android phone.

Sorry for the anger-filled post guys, and best of luck for those of you still dealing with symbian.

Nokia makes some drat good hardware at times, I wouldn't mind seeing them dip into Android. So far Samsung, HTC and Motorola are the only real Android phone makers worth looking at. I'd love to see some of those amazing Nokia cameras on Android, but aren't most of their touch phones resistive? Android would be awful without a capacitive touchscreen IMO.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

big mean giraffe posted:

I'd love to see some of those amazing Nokia cameras on Android, but aren't most of their touch phones resistive? Android would be awful without a capacitive touchscreen IMO.

Nokia used a capacitive touchscreen on the X6 and is going to use one in the N8.

Also, Nokia would be one of the few phone manufacturers that would put a sizable amount of internal memory in. The only Android manufacturer that has put a decent amount of internal memory in their phone is Samsung with the Galaxy S.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Teeter posted:

fake e: I love how the symbian thread has devolved in to people jumping ship for android or blackberry. They've really shot themselves in the foot here
I think a lot of us held a candle because they are nice phones, they've just been left in the dust by a lack of support and are blown away by the features other devices offer. If you're dropping $20 or $30 on a data plan, you want something that's going to be very useful, and s60 is a dinosaur compared to ios or android.

I loved my n82 and it's wonderful build quality and camera, but Nokia's website, the slim and lovely app selection, and a lovely PC suite / Ovi store just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm wondering how symbian is holding up in Europe, they had a staggering amount of the market not too long ago, something like 40 or 50% of smartphones. I can't imagine that will possibly be the case as competitive android devices start flooding every carrier.

The only niche that Nokia has a change of flourishing in is featurephones where people don't need a data plan to get the full use out of their devices. It just seems like that market is drying up as people get used to having a mobile internet device.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

The carefully sorted app icons on my N86 just randomly reset and all moved back into the Applications folder for the fourth fuckin time, so I'll be tossing this thing as soon as I find a better smartphone with similar hardware features to replace it.

Any ideas? :sigh:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Civil posted:

I think a lot of us held a candle because they are nice phones, they've just been left in the dust by a lack of support and are blown away by the features other devices offer. If you're dropping $20 or $30 on a data plan, you want something that's going to be very useful, and s60 is a dinosaur compared to ios or android.

There's the 8 people in the US who enjoy using Symbian phones with their $10/$15 per month data plan from AT&T. Not the piddly one, AT&T doesn't care about the limit on this one.

Pretty much everyone using a Symbian phone in the US was either on $6/month t-zones or $10/$15 per month MediaNET from AT&T.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Civil posted:

I loved my n82 and it's wonderful build quality and camera, but Nokia's website, the slim and lovely app selection, and a lovely PC suite / Ovi store just left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm wondering how symbian is holding up in Europe, they had a staggering amount of the market not too long ago, something like 40 or 50% of smartphones. I can't imagine that will possibly be the case as competitive android devices start flooding every carrier.

The only niche that Nokia has a change of flourishing in is featurephones where people don't need a data plan to get the full use out of their devices. It just seems like that market is drying up as people get used to having a mobile internet device.

I don't even use a data plan, and never intend to, so I'm pretty much stuck with Nokia as long as Maps is still available as an offline program.

I saw a chart the other day - Nokia's still lost a lot of market share, but they're still on top at 42% of the global market for smartphones.

Still using my nearly three year old n82, and probably will until I can rationalize spending another 500 bucks on a phone. It still does everything I need it to, and more. It's just painfully slow and archaic, even when it came out.

Getting left behind for FP2 was a bit of a low blow too :smith:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Compared to android and iOS I admit that symbian is pathetic. The E72 is my first smartphone after years of using Verizon branded crap, and I didn't want to shell out for a BB and requisite plans since I am in love with the form factor.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Teeter posted:

gently caress. All I want to do is download sports tracker but I get the runaround everywhere to be led to the lovely Ovi store. I've got the store installed from a firmware update but it won't run. It's just a dead link in my apps list, nothing happens when I click it or try to open it any other way. I can't even delete it, and trying to download the ovi store again just gives me a "file corrupted" message when it comes time to install.
You can try some other sports tracker. SportyPal is good.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

torjus posted:

You can try some other sports tracker. SportyPal is good.

Thanks a bunch for this. Worked great since I was able to download the java file and transfer through USB to circumvent the Ovi bullshit. Let's just hope that my phone's battery is good enough to record my cycling trips with GPS running. Battery life used to be amazing but has really gone to hell and I don't want to spend the money on the new one when I'd prefer to get a whole new phone.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I liked it better when everything was sideloaded.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Teeter posted:

Thanks a bunch for this. Worked great since I was able to download the java file and transfer through USB to circumvent the Ovi bullshit. Let's just hope that my phone's battery is good enough to record my cycling trips with GPS running. Battery life used to be amazing but has really gone to hell and I don't want to spend the money on the new one when I'd prefer to get a whole new phone.

Check eBay for high capacity batteries. I got a couple for my N82 and they're great. I can get around 5 or 6 hours of SportsTracker tracking out of one battery. And unlike an iPhone, when the battery dies, I can pop in another one and keep on trucking.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 26, 2010

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Nokia posted some interactive unboxing videos of the N8.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VPxntuYwVA

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
I got some hands-on time N8 today, not really that impressed. It's big improvement but it's still very much Symbian :( Which is too bad, since the hardware is really nice. Too bad Nokia is still trying to force Ovi on people, for example all social networking integration goes through some Ovi application that takes forever to start, also browser is pretty terrible compared to competitors or N900. Their hardware design teams are still top notch but they really need to stop outsourcing their non-OS software development to cheapest bidder.

Personally though, unless they get N8-style phone with Meego out soon I'm switching over to Android, I'm tired of trying to get Google Calendar syncing to work with N900. And I'm not going to invest in Exchange server of my own for one man telecom consulting business.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Symbian is largely dead as a development platform too. The only people of note cranking out new software these days are Nokia Beta Labs.

By the way, going waaaay back to my T9 issues, that Nokia custom dictionary thing doesn't help. On the N82 the program is very limited in function.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

HPL posted:

Symbian is largely dead as a development platform too. The only people of note cranking out new software these days are Nokia Beta Labs.
I'm probably be getting the N8 anyway. As long as it's good enough and fast enough as a phone, I'll be fine. Not super excited and happy, but fine. Mostly buying it because it's unlocked and has a great camera. I'll definitely be waiting a while, though. :P I'm not buying it for/with a data plan - as long as I get Google Maps/Latitude it'll be acceptable. (I like Latitude for trips - buy an unlocked SIM with a data plan and have fun :) )

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Honestly, if I were going to buy a Nokia again, I'd wait until Meego is ready for prime time. It looks like developers are slowly starting to get the wheels rolling on that front as opposed to Symbian.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

This feels like it's veering off-topic a bit, but: 1. I'm not buying Apple. 2. I want HD video recording. 3. I don't want a subsidized phone/It must be unlocked. 4. Must be out within the next 6-8 months, since my N82 is on its last legs. (phone is literally falling apart and I'm not paying for parts) The options I'm left with are slim at best, and considering a phone's camera is my #1 selling point, the N8's the most desirable option.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/10/nokias-opk-is-out-replaced-by-stephen-elop-as-president-and-ce/

Nokia has a new CEO, Stephen Elop, current head of Microsoft's business division

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

This feels like it's veering off-topic a bit, but: 1. I'm not buying Apple. 2. I want HD video recording. 3. I don't want a subsidized phone/It must be unlocked. 4. Must be out within the next 6-8 months, since my N82 is on its last legs. (phone is literally falling apart and I'm not paying for parts) The options I'm left with are slim at best, and considering a phone's camera is my #1 selling point, the N8's the most desirable option.

You can get unlock codes from carriers in the US, I'm sure of that, don't know about Europe but they should do the same.

If you are one of the poor, poor souls that has a Nokia touchscreen phone, you can have Swype now! It's pretty good and should make typing a lot more palatable of an experience for S60v5.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

sudo enjoy it
oh wait...

I figured I'd follow up on this now that I've spent some time with it, but it was actually easier to get root on the galaxy s than on the n900. Go figure. I really hope the recent staff changes helps Nokia get their poo poo in gear, because this is ridiculous.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

200th Poster posted:

I figured I'd follow up on this now that I've spent some time with it, but it was actually easier to get root on the galaxy s than on the n900. Go figure. I really hope the recent staff changes helps Nokia get their poo poo in gear, because this is ridiculous.
Nope, they won't! Because the announcements this morning made sure that Nokia will stay Nokia. The E7 will have "software differences" from the N8. They haven't learned a single goddamned thing.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

LiquidRain posted:

Nope, they won't! Because the announcements this morning made sure that Nokia will stay Nokia. The E7 will have "software differences" from the N8. They haven't learned a single goddamned thing.

It'll have extra business software, but nothing really different in the OS. Did I miss something?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm 99.9% confident it'll mean that there won't be a single unified Symbian^3. It'll be just like S60, where different models of the same phone and different phones based on the same platform get arbitrary system/software updates that leave them in various states of nice and not so nice.

Yes I'm still bitter about my N82.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

LiquidRain posted:

I'm 99.9% confident it'll mean that there won't be a single unified Symbian^3. It'll be just like S60, where different models of the same phone and different phones based on the same platform get arbitrary system/software updates that leave them in various states of nice and not so nice.

Yes I'm still bitter about my N82.

Oh, you're upset that a firmware update that shows up for the N8 wont be the same as one that shows up for the E7.

If you wanted to, you could hack the C6-00 firmware onto the old 5800 and get widgets. Since Symbian^3 is more open, there could be less of your idea of fragmentation.

----------------
Since I'm sleep deprived, here's some links from Engadget from all the product announcements

http://www.engadget.com/tag/NokiaWorld2010/

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

LiquidRain posted:

I would say that it will take at least a year before the leadership changes really start to pay off if they do.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Nokia really has the advantage that they have a lot further to fall than palm did. Still I hope it will take less than a year for them to turn things around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

200th Poster posted:

Nokia really has the advantage that they have a lot further to fall than palm did. Still I hope it will take less than a year for them to turn things around.

Solution: Make android handsets. Nokia has always made good hardware. Throw out all the S^X poo poo and just go with a platform that has some support and apps behind it instead of blindly brewing their own. Then they could ride the wave instead of having it crash on top of them.

• Locked thread