Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

A5H posted:

I quite liked the latest Jamie Oliver show. But then again I quite like him. Who cares if you are self publicizing by doing something quite worthwhile and decent? :stare:
The average reader of this thread is far more cynical than you, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I just read on Wikipedia it won an Emmy and has a second series on the way.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

I don't need previews of what's going to happen in a show I'm already happily watching.

It's even worse when it's a BBC show where it's not even like there's a commercial break they need you to come back after.

Doombrain
Jun 6, 2007
Lolocaust

justcola posted:

This is england was better than last week. I still don't really get what direction the show wants to take, but it's entertaining. Still holding out that combo turns up and ruins everybodies poo poo.

This guy:

is the brother of Kelly from Misfits.

:aaa:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Ronnie posted:

He doesn't seem to of done any research or homework in to the system. He just drops in on one hill billy town (lets face it, it's West Virginia) acts all smug on small time radio station gets defensive when the host tries to bring him back down to reality.

I just cannot think of any possible angle where someone could watch that scene and think that Jamie Oliver came across as the unreasonable one.

American talk show hosts are literally the worst people, and I really really mean that.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe

aga. posted:

It's even worse when it's a BBC show where it's not even like there's a commercial break they need you to come back after.

They do this on Dragon's Den and it drives me nuts.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Awesome, Stephen Hawking's Universe is on Channel 4 on Saturday.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Jimbola posted:

They do this on Dragon's Den and it drives me nuts.

Does the UK Dragon's Den get exported to be shown in other countries? That might explain it, but they could still cut those bits out.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

henpod posted:

I'm really liking it, all of the characters are very well acted and I dig the cinematography also. The only problem is they have too much 'Lol' acting all moody and bitching/being emo.
yeah I agree with this, tbf Woody did freak out at their marriage and the flat he bought is shite but he's really good to her otherwise and she just calls him a dickhead all the time and storms about in a mood. And now she's gone and shagged his best mate and all. Women eh

also, predicting that Combo returns and has changed his ways and tries to make peace but they're having none of it and then a bad thing happens

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Lol wants Crazy Young Woody and resents the fact he tries to do well at his job, even though he's doing it so she can have the marriage and home she wants. Are we supposed to sympathise with her?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Padje posted:

Are we supposed to sympathise with her?
I don't think we are at this point. That scene where she absolutely has to talk to Woody right then and there and can't possibly wait half an hour can't be anything but deliberate.

Edit: That Seven Days ad does my head in. Who gives a gently caress about a week in Notting Hill? And what's all that "A New Reality" poo poo? So it's some new reality TV. Wow.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 16, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

For those who are interested, Phill Jupitus has announced the guest hosts for this series of Never Mind The Buzzcocks: http://twitter.com/jupitusphillip/status/24558920095

And for those who aren't Twitter literate, the list is:

-Mark Ronson
-Jack Dee
-Josh Groban
-Tim Minchin
-Robert Webb
-Tim Westwood
-Frankie Boyle
-Catherine Tate

Personally I'm cool with all of them (especially Josh Groban, who was loving great when he appeared as a guest) besides Westwood and Tate, both of whom are going to be terrible.

Oh and I guess the tweet says 'include', which means that there are more to be announced.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 16, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
tim westwood might be so bad he's good though

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

At least there's no Jack Whitehall.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Adrianics posted:

-Tim Minchin

He had one of the most close to the bone jokes I've ever heard on Buzzcocks.

can't find it online, but it was about Kylie, and it made Amstell stop what he was doing and just laugh

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
westwood will be amazing. people just don't understand him. he should replace jonathan ross, not graham norton.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like Westwood a little bit. He's like a ghetto chav version of Pete Tong. I hate catherine tate though. I didn't even watch her dumb show but know more than I should about her.

When is Have I Got News For U back on? Mock the Week's got a little better since I last bothered with it but the sets not as well lit and there's no real political guests to bait.

Rummanging
Sep 26, 2008

justcola posted:

When is Have I Got News For U back on?

I had no idea they were making an urban spinoff. Hosted by Dappy from NDubz, featuring Dizzee Rascal and Lethal Bizzle as regular panellists, no doubt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rummanging posted:

I had no idea they were making an urban spinoff. Hosted by Dappy from NDubz, featuring Dizzee Rascal and Lethal Bizzle as regular panellists, no doubt.

With the favourite Odd Gangsta Out, Yo and Quote Dis poo poo rounds.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
Do people even like Buzzcocks anymore?

I think the problem is the 'show' isn't actually that funny, and the format was old even before Lamarr left. Amstell injected life into it, but mostly by taking the piss out of Z-Listers rather than masterful deployment of the intros round or last lines.

I tried to watch a few episodes of the last series and really didn't enjoy them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm such a goon, I'm watching Him and Her trying to see if the BBC Production Staff are reusing props from Ideal.

Then I realise they might not even be in the same studio location.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Jimbola posted:

I think the problem is the 'show' isn't actually that funny, and the format was old even before Lamarr left. Amstell injected life into it, but mostly by taking the piss out of Z-Listers rather than masterful deployment of the intros round or last lines.

I tried to watch a few episodes of the last series and really didn't enjoy them.

Buzzcocks is still good enough to watch. It's not as good as it was but it's only half an hour long, and I laugh a fair few times.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Jimbola posted:

I would say that it's definitely on its last legs - The last series had its moments (namely Rod Ghilbert's episode) but the guest presenters thing really doesn't work and with Jupitus the only long-term panellist left the whole thing is just a little awkward. I still watch it cause hey, I do end up laughing at the banter but I'm not going to attempt to argue that it's as good as it used to be.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

ibroxmassive posted:

He had one of the most close to the bone jokes I've ever heard on Buzzcocks.

can't find it online, but it was about Kylie, and it made Amstell stop what he was doing and just laugh

Is it this bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycQGDHLDHwc#t=01m20s

I remember cracking up over it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Al2001 posted:

Is it this bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycQGDHLDHwc#t=01m20s

I remember cracking up over it.

It's just Simons reaction where he can't look at him.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Adrianics posted:

I just cannot think of any possible angle where someone could watch that scene and think that Jamie Oliver came across as the unreasonable one.

American talk show hosts are literally the worst people, and I really really mean that.

Sorry I guess I made it sound like it was a one sided argument when it clearly wasn't. The radio host was just as bad with his ignorant statements of; "So you say we should all just eat lettuce?" and "Who are you to tell us what to do". :bahgawd:

But may case in point was what kind of reaction was Jamie expecting when you announce that you are going to make a big changes to the fattest town in the USA and those are figures OF DEATH!!! I can't tell if he was trying to make a big impact and introduction to himself or was just trying to scare monger but then again I guess that's what these shows are about.

And yes the DJ, the lunch ladies and school board were all red neck morons and the only sympathy I can give Jamie is that he has to work and persuade these people.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
New QI tonight, it's even the one I was looking forward to, Phil Jupitus, Jack Dee and Ross Noble.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I saw the entire cast of Misfits sans the guy that played Simon yesterday in Belfast.

I have no idea what they were doing, they all got out of taxis and walked into a crappy shopping centre that consists of a Burger King, a boarded up Pizza Hut, a Cinema and a bingo hall.

I didn't really wanna run after them but I did stop the car for long enough to stare at them and confirm my suspicions. I tried a bit of e-sleuthing and I still don't know what they're doing but I'm still regretting missing a photo oppurtunity.

It didn't help that the friend I was with at the time hadn't seen the show :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So did anyone watch that 'Vatican: The Hidden World' thing that's on iPlayer? It was quite interesting seeing behind the scenes even if it couldn't quite bring itself to criticise anything the Church has done ever.

It's all just so bizarre. It's loving 2010 and there was only one woman in the whole programme. The Pope doesn't have a computer on his desk. The altar boys talk about serving priests. Most of the men wear dresses.

Recommended if you are at all interessted in the Vatican, or if you have someone who enjoys priest molestation humour to watch it with.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Ronnie posted:

But may case in point was what kind of reaction was Jamie expecting when you announce that you are going to make a big changes to the fattest town in the USA and those are figures OF DEATH!!! I can't tell if he was trying to make a big impact and introduction to himself or was just trying to scare monger but then again I guess that's what these shows are about.

The thing is that I can accept that he went in expecting a bit of opposition because he can't wave his fame around in the US like he can here, and I can also accept that he just straight up wasn't prepared for all the out-and-out hostility he came across.

I mean, if I went over there with the best intentions (which, naive though it may be, I still believe he had) and had to face wave after wave of people not just opposing me but actively trying everything they could to stop me, I'd probably get emotional about it too. Plus bullshit bureaucracy like the nonsensical rules about bread really break you down.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

marktheando posted:

So did anyone watch that 'Vatican: The Hidden World' thing that's on iPlayer? It was quite interesting seeing behind the scenes even if it couldn't quite bring itself to criticise anything the Church has done ever.

It's all just so bizarre. It's loving 2010 and there was only one woman in the whole programme. The Pope doesn't have a computer on his desk. The altar boys talk about serving priests. Most of the men wear dresses.

Recommended if you are at all interessted in the Vatican, or if you have someone who enjoys priest molestation humour to watch it with.

The slow motion shot of the Pope gurning was a bit unnecessary.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

marktheando posted:

Most of the men wear dresses.

Young men look ridiculously hot in cassocks :colbert:
I saw loads of them while visiting Rome and it never got less hot.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

hounslow rob posted:

westwood will be amazing. people just don't understand him. he should replace jonathan ross, not graham norton.

I fully agree, Westwood is ace.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

Pookah posted:

Young men look ridiculously hot in cassocks :colbert:

I guess that's the cause of the problem then :v:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Leyburn posted:

I fully agree, Westwood is ace.

i like his acting in this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ6G7qwjom4

Also his twitter is a sight to behold.

"The Micheal Jackson tribute in the club was emotional & heartfelt. Sent cold shiver down my back (but it might of been the AC)"

"Is Malia a Third World country? - has it got internet connection? This might be the last time you hear of me ........"

"Mad pissed - couldn't go to the club I wanted to last nite - cos I don't own a pair of shoes. What is up with this no trainers bullshit"

"What's all this OLI OLI OLI poo poo people keep sayin? Its startin to get on my nerves. My mates called Olly & he keeps lookin round & waving"

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 17, 2010

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Perfect Element posted:

Curb Your Enthusiasm in particular annoys me with this (and it's one of my favourite shows) because it has literally never featured a black character whose essential, defining characteristic is that they're black.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me.

This is absolutely nothing to do with TV in general - it's an American thing. It comes from the very definite vision of race that slavery created in the US, and you'll see it in pretty much every single American TV show.

I always use this example, but the best way to see it is to sit down and watch an episode of Scrubs, then an episode of Red Dwarf.
How often do they say Lister is black, or make any sort of reference to it whatsoever? Now how often do they talk about Turk being Black? Or Carla being Hispanic? It's loving constant. Because in the US race is a huge definer of your identity and in the UK it's class instead.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm watching Walk on the Wild Side on BBC 1 at the moment, and I want my license fee back.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Brown Moses posted:

I'm watching Walk on the Wild Side on BBC 1 at the moment, and I want my license fee back.

I'm watching All Star Family Fortunes on ITV1. Normally I wouldn't but Brian Blessed is on it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I want to watch THE CUBE but UTV have decided that Tuesday at 11:05pm is a better time slot than Sunday primetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I'm watching All Star Family Fortunes on ITV1. Normally I wouldn't but Brian Blessed is on it.

Haha yeah, that was great. The best part was when his daughter answered "Name something you put in the fridge" with "milk"...

and then the Man Himself said "Yoghurt". :stare: