Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blow Dog
Aug 14, 2004
no
A video I took starting the car up the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JahQjr-Q-jA

I also recorded doing 210MPH on the autobahn yesterday. Will put video up ASAP.

Paddleshifts are pretty awesome, I reckon I'm a convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Are those using a DSG style trans finally? I remember their earlier e-gear setup on the Murcielagos burning up pretty fast. In fact I remember having to push one onto a flatbed :\

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tentacle Party posted:

My 308ci of fatness, 1994 VR Statesman. Its so great relaxing in a huge car, its even on LPG.

And its held up well over 16 years.

It has been lowered a bit, so with the rear IRS it chews through tires. She also has a dark tint and a cat-back exhaust.
It also has a new stereo from recommendations in the car audio thread over in The A/V Arena.
Shock, a mid 90s Holden without faded paint or clear coat splitting on it.

Get a camber kit for the rear end so it stops chewing the insides of your tyres. The trailing arm IRS on most Commodores till the VE sucked with their stupid camber changes through the suspension travel.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

You Am I posted:

Shock, a mid 90s Holden without faded paint or clear coat splitting on it.

Get a camber kit for the rear end so it stops chewing the insides of your tyres. The trailing arm IRS on most Commodores till the VE sucked with their stupid camber changes through the suspension travel.

Heh, well now that you mention it, the boot lid paint is shot. I guess it always stuck out of a previous owners carport because all the clear has peeled off and its faded to hell. After 12 months I still haven't found a wreck of the same colour.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I bought another E30. '91 318i, 128k, $1800. It's a nice as it looks.

Now I have 3 of them.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Scooped some BBS CH's for my S4. I'm going to eventually get around to paining the calipers blue.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

azerdude32 posted:

Scooped some BBS CH's for my S4. I'm going to eventually get around to paining the calipers blue.

That is a beautiful car!

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Blow Dog posted:

You are my hero.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
iPhone pictures, but none the less....

Picked this up about 3 weeks ago.

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, Sport Tuned Suspension, Premium Package

#g35

#g35

#g35

Wow, the glare from outside removes all the decals from the trunk lid. I have been toying with the idea of de-badging the 'Infiniti' and leaving the logo and 'G35' on the trunk.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

08.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Regnevelc posted:

iPhone pictures, but none the less....

Picked this up about 3 weeks ago.

2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT, Sport Tuned Suspension, Premium Package

#g35

#g35

#g35

Wow, the glare from outside removes all the decals from the trunk lid. I have been toying with the idea of de-badging the 'Infiniti' and leaving the logo and 'G35' on the trunk.

As long as you don't put "Skyline" on it like the dozen or so guys in town you're fine.

wsbadmf
Mar 4, 2005

Im the governor of the fucking state of Wisconsin! I aint bullshitting. I know what the hell Im doing. Those other guys, they're full of shit.

Daily, project, and winter beater/boat hauler.

It is really nice to see the motor back in the car.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If you're actively working on it, you should post a project thread.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009
Just bought this...

st205 celica with 311hp. Should be a laugh!

Diamond Duck
Sep 17, 2010

Duck. Duck! DUCK! God damnit.
This is my 2008 Subaru Legacy. It's not crazy fancy but I like it.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 606x226 image.

Diamond Duck fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 20, 2010

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

nattrass posted:

Just bought this...

st205 celica with 311hp. Should be a laugh!

drat that's a sexy car. Is it an actual homologation model or is it just a standard ST205 with the spoiler risers added?

I'd dearly love to have an ST205 but Australia only got 77 of the homolgation models and 0 standard models so they are rather rare and expensive. I guess I just have to make do with my ST185.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

Grashnak posted:

drat that's a sexy car. Is it an actual homologation model or is it just a standard ST205 with the spoiler risers added?

I'd dearly love to have an ST205 but Australia only got 77 of the homolgation models and 0 standard models so they are rather rare and expensive. I guess I just have to make do with my ST185.

Cheers bud! It's just a normal Jap import.

The spoiler raisers were just an optional extra on any of the prefacelift cars, but the WRC models did have them fitted as standard.

I love the 185 too, I had one... until it rotted away. Hopefully these are better for rust!

Can't you just get one imported? Thought you had loads of jap imports in australia?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nattrass posted:

Can't you just get one imported? Thought you had loads of jap imports in australia?

We can't import that stuff was officially sold here.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

2ndclasscitizen posted:

We can't import that stuff was officially sold here.
Yes we can. I have seen many grey imported 626s, Corollas, Celicas and Camrys (wtf) that were sold in officially in Australia.

Xplosive
Apr 23, 2004

And he's bad as can.
2006 Mazda 6

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

You Am I posted:

Yes we can. I have seen many grey imported 626s, Corollas, Celicas and Camrys (wtf) that were sold in officially in Australia.

The rules for grey imports changed about 6 years ago. Before then you could import any car over 15 years old, now it has to be approved and I'm pretty sure any car sold in Aus is not eligible. I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Grashnak posted:

The rules for grey imports changed about 6 years ago. Before then you could import any car over 15 years old, now it has to be approved and I'm pretty sure any car sold in Aus is not eligible. I might be wrong but that's my understanding.

There does seem to be a difference between the rules for personal grey imports and people bringing them in to sell, so maybe it's the personal imports that can't have been sold here.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Lightbulb Out posted:

I bought another E30. '91 318i, 128k, $1800. It's a nice as it looks.

Now I have 3 of them.

im jealous. i was looking at old e30s for a while there but i couldnt afford the insurance on anything so i ended up buying a 1.6 vauxhall astra :(

eames
May 9, 2009

The ultimate proof that even Pininfarina isn’t perfect!

'72 304 Peugeot Cabriolet

My mom bought this car in the mid 70s, drove it for a few summers and then parked it in a garage for 35 years or so. I finally got the time to revive it this year and after a few quick fixes it runs surprisingly well. :3:
It even has a hardtop, needs fixing though.

eames fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 11, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

eames posted:

My mom bought this car in the mid 70s, drove it for a few summers and then parked it in a garage for 35 years or so. I finally got the time to revive it this year and after a few quick fixes it runs surprisingly well. :3:
Peugeot 504s are bloody unkillable. There are still a ton of them on Aussie roads, even though they haven't been in production for nearly 3 decades. Something happened to Peugeot during the 70s where they went from well built and reliable but kinda plain cars to unreliable pieces of poo poo that handle fine these days.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Did an irresponsible thing and got a toy over the weekend. Gonna be a project for sure.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's missing some stuff....

But I've got some things that look like they're about the right size for that hole.

BillyBlitzkreig
Jan 6, 2005
10 kilos of croutons

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Picked it up on Thursday. 2011 Shelby GT500 with the SVT Performance Pack, glass roof, technology pack, and Shelby car cover.

Good lord, sir! We need soundtrack videos and now. Awesome car.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

eames posted:

This is really amazing. Care to share more pics / specs?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Raluek posted:

Did an irresponsible thing and got a toy over the weekend. Gonna be a project for sure.

It's missing some stuff....

But I've got some things that look like they're about the right size for that hole.

This is outstanding! Your irresponsibility is forgiven.

eames
May 9, 2009

You Am I posted:

Peugeot 504s are bloody unkillable. There are still a ton of them on Aussie roads, even though they haven't been in production for nearly 3 decades. Something happened to Peugeot during the 70s where they went from well built and reliable but kinda plain cars to unreliable pieces of poo poo that handle fine these days.

Yeah, it seems like the only weakness of those 304/504s is rust. A friend of mine was in Egypt a few weeks ago and told me that most of the taxis there are Peugeot 504/304 breaks.

A quick flickr search for "egypt taxi" confirmed this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigmou7/2328867966/
1.5 million kilometers. twice the distance to the moon and back, if it is true what the caption says. :catdrugs:

toaster_pastry posted:

This is really amazing. Care to share more pics / specs?

Sure, I’ll take some more pictures tomorrow. Might even open a new thread to avoid threadjacking.
There’s not much to say about the car, this one has 47000 km on it and very little rust thanks to the garage it hibernated in. Handles much, much better than I expected — probably due to the fully independent suspension which was quite advanced at the time.
FWD, front disc brakes, 1.3L i4, 65 PS, 880kg. Obviously not a rocket but quick/light enough to be fun to drive.
The whole interior is 100% plastic, all the way down to the seats and headrests.
Oh, and it has a factory-option, green-on-green digital clock that is roughly the size of an iPhone. That was probably the equivalent of a GPS back in the days. :D

eames fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 23, 2010

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

eames posted:

I had no idea these came as a convertible. Very cool

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I was a little shy to post the new car I picked up on Tuesday, but after driving it for a few days, I've really grown to love it. Here is my brand new 2011 Nissan VERSA 1.8 S. Espresso Black with metal flake paint, so it looks black or brown depending on how the light hits it. Only thing I really want to do with it is tint the windows a little darker.

It's my first brand new car (And I'm 43). I'm not used to getting in to anything with less than 12,000 miles on it. When I pulled out of the dealer, it had 12. I really can't believe the ride on this thing, my last car I had for almost ten years, a 2001 Hyundai Sonata.

Here's the new baby of the family.

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m
I like the Versa post - congrats! I've never seen it in that colour - good one! Enjoy it.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

eames posted:

Oh, and it has a factory-option, green-on-green digital clock that is roughly the size of an iPhone. That was probably the equivalent of a GPS back in the days. :D

:h:

You are required to create a thread about this car.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

1999 Ford Taurus. Been sitting in the driveway for about a year since mom died (Jan 2009) and signed it over to me.

While it was in the driveway, the driver's seat's electric movement gadget spazzed and the seat moved as far forward as
it could go, and stayed there. I would assume that the switch had a closed circuit for about eight months - about halfway
through, the battery was toast, but at least while it was hooked up to the jumper cables it would still start fine but
die instantly when the jumper cables were removed.

It had been previously determined that I would move out of the house immediately upon graduation from high school, so two
days after I graduated I packed up my uncle's car with half my stuff and moved from Roanoke to his house in Arlington, VA
for the duration of my summer break before beginning here at George Mason University. A couple weeks before move-in, I
got the necessary papers to get it registered and titled, then took a Greyhound back home to pick up half my stuff and
get my car working.

When I got there, it was discovered that it would no longer start at all, regardless of jumper cable status. After a new
battery was installed, it started and worked fine, apart from the fact that the seat was still jammed forward with 4
inches of leg room, so my dad promptly drove it to a shop across town, with me following in his truck - a couple days
later we checked back, and they'd gotten the seat moved back, but didn't know exactly how they'd done it - I was
satisfied. My car worked, and I had plenty of knee room, and the seat switch didn't appear to still be draining the
battery. So I drove it home from the shop, packed it up with the remainder of my stuff, took the pictures above (bike
rack is currently in the trunk, bike stored safely elsewhere), and the next morning returned to Arlington.

I got a proper supply of junk prepared for college, got the state and emissions inspections done (meaning it was then
fully legal to drive) and the move-in went flawlessly. Paid $90 for the cheap parking a mile from my dorm (rather than
$500 to park wherever I want). I'd been driving it around periodically - a trip to Wal-Mart here, a drive to Best Buy
there, maybe a trip at 3:30 AM to pick up my roommates who had walked 6 miles looking for a store that was actually open
so they could get cigars... Good times.

Then one day I hopped a curb. And the noise began.

It was a harmonic humming noise coming mostly from the back right wheel, but a little from the left too. It would start
after I'd been driving at a normal speed (35+) for about 15 minutes, then continue regardless of what speed I was driving
at. At first, any leftward motion would stop it, but soon that only softened it; turning right always made it worse;
braking always stopped it immediately. I dealt with it for a couple weeks before taking it to a nearby garage for a tire
rotation and to see what they could do about the noise. They were reluctant to actually take the wheel assembly apart to
see what was causing the noise; it would cost $87 to do that, plus they figured it was a result of uneven wear on the
tires, so all they did was rotate the tires for $25. Problem solved. Mostly.

So now the noise is pretty much gone. The seat issue isn't completely resolved - it will move up, down, and forward, but
not back - so it's currently about halfway between its maximum extents, and I'm quite content with it there. The only
other problem may be that since it's a dark color, it gets intensely hot in the sun, and I'm afraid it may get hot enough
for something important to melt. Logic tells me it'll be fine, but there's still the nagging concern, so I usually put a
pair of shiny window insert things in the south-facing window when it's parked. That's not helped by the fact that the
air conditioner doesn't work, and I'm too lazy (and cheap) to try to get it fixed; plus, I've got pretty good heat
tolerance. (I can still guarantee that the next car I get will NOT be a dark color!)

Overall it's a pretty good car - comfortable, performs well enough, great sound system. It uses more gas than I'd like
(about 20 mpg) in addition to a smallish gas tank (my dad's truck, which taught me to drive, has a 30 gallon tank), but
there could be (have been) worse problems with it than a tiny bit of tire noise, devilish seat controls and lots of heat
without air conditioner.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
On June 3rd, I was involved in an accident that ultimately meant the demise of my '10 BMW E90 LCI 335i. Here is a photo from the day I picked her up:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

On July 22nd, I ordered my replacement, an '11 Subaru GR STi 5-Door. I am excited to have picked her up this past Friday (with all the wrapping still on it):

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Can ugly beaters post in here?

Note mismatched hubcaps and "custom" work on the front bumper. Not shown are the zip ties holding the passenger side of the bumper on.

Okay, looks better from this angle.

Real men drive with 44 oz Dr Peppers.

Yay a KA24DE, a 4 that actually has a little bit of torque! :neckbeard: Crammed into a damned small engine bay... and guess who needs to replace belts? :suicide:

It's also fond of marking its territory with power steering fluid. Thankfully it's just a short length of rubber hose that connects the fluid reservoir to the pump leaking...

I'm honestly amazed at the condition of the paint though... it's a 1999 and the paint shines like it's brand new, though there's plenty of scratches. Usually the clear coat is long gone on a car this age in this part of the country... and usually the headlamp housings are a nice opaque yellow. These are still clear, and appear to be original. Pretty sure the previous 2 owners must have garaged it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2010

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

1996 Saab 9000 Aero

100% stock, picked it up last week, I love it.

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 1, 2010

CCCP
Oct 1, 2004

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth,

But the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth

Needs a new coat of paint.

CCCP fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Blow Dog posted:

This is loving awesome. The scary thing is, I don't think you're even close to being the first person here to crack 200mph. Not many forums can say that.