Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
think I just fixed it... I went into BIOS and discovered that my HDD boot order was mixed around... for some reason my SSD (which my OS is on) was at the bottom of the list.

no idea how that happened in the middle of the night but I feel a little foolish because that probably should have been the first thing I checked.

Now I know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Xenomorph posted:

A few things.

* I would usually recommend 64-bit all the way, but I don't know about an older system like that. My old Athlon 64 3000+ system (754) hasn't had any proper chipset drivers in 5 years (and nothing updated for Vista/Win7). I'd only use 32-bit with it. Even though the platform is technically "64-bit", the drivers may be an issue. Even 32-bit Vista ran like crap on it (XP was the only thing really supported).

Old post, sorry.

I know it's a bit of a newer processor (compared to yours anyway) but I gave my parents my old gaming rig with an Athlon 64 3800+ with 2 gigs of RAM and a 5500 FX and it ran Vista 64 for the longest time and they've been running 7 64 since January now without a hitch. They've upgraded to a 7600 GT I gave them and the system will very occasionally blue-screen while my sister is playing Sims 3 but I figure it's just because it's old as poo poo and the game's new, and it was the first computer I put together myself.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

MMD3 posted:

think I just fixed it... I went into BIOS and discovered that my HDD boot order was mixed around... for some reason my SSD (which my OS is on) was at the bottom of the list.

no idea how that happened in the middle of the night but I feel a little foolish because that probably should have been the first thing I checked.

Now I know...

Check your BIOS battery, it might be weak and reverting to defaults on reboot.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
The fading tree view glyphs in Windows 7 are driving me mad. How can I disable them? I've been googling around and haven't found anything except for this.

Parantumaton
Jan 29, 2009

The OnLy ThInG
i LoVe MoRe
ThAn ChUgGiNg SeMeN
iS gEtTiNg PaId To Be A
sOcIaL MeDiA sHiLl
FoR mIcRoSoFt
AnD nOkIa

Parachute Underwear posted:

Old post, sorry.

I know it's a bit of a newer processor (compared to yours anyway) but I gave my parents my old gaming rig with an Athlon 64 3800+ with 2 gigs of RAM and a 5500 FX and it ran Vista 64 for the longest time and they've been running 7 64 since January now without a hitch. They've upgraded to a 7600 GT I gave them and the system will very occasionally blue-screen while my sister is playing Sims 3 but I figure it's just because it's old as poo poo and the game's new, and it was the first computer I put together myself.

I can top that, my mom has my old A64 3400+ with single gigabyte of slow-as-hell RAM and some passive cooled old beans GeForce and it's working just fine - including all the fancy UI things - even with full firewall/antivirus (F-Secure's, in this case) running.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Parantumaton posted:

I can top that, my mom has my old A64 3400+ with single gigabyte of slow-as-hell RAM and some passive cooled old beans GeForce and it's working just fine - including all the fancy UI things - even with full firewall/antivirus (F-Secure's, in this case) running.

I just remember my Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0 GHz) w/ 2 Gigs Pro system working great with XP, and then running like crap when I moved to Vista (32-bit).

Going from that to a Pentium Dual-Core E2180 (2.0 GHz) w/ 2 Gigs RAM on some VIA board that had current support made a huge difference.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

fletcher posted:

The fading tree view glyphs in Windows 7 are driving me mad. How can I disable them? I've been googling around and haven't found anything except for this.
Classic shell will let you do this, just install it and not the classic start menu part.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Suniikaa posted:

Classic shell will let you do this, just install it and not the classic start menu part.

There are still people who want the Win95 type Start Menus in Windows 7?

:psyduck:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You Am I posted:

:psyduck:

Some people hate change, no matter how much more awesome it is.

akrob
Sep 5, 2009

by T. Finn

GreenNight posted:

Some people hate change, no matter how much more awesome it is.

Some people are also bedazzled by new things, vista works perfectly fine, unless there are noticeable performance gains, why bother formatting?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

akrob posted:

Some people are also bedazzled by new things, vista works perfectly fine, unless there are noticeable performance gains, why bother formatting?

Good news! Not only are there noticeable performance gains, you don't have to reformat to install Windows!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fishmech posted:

Good news! Not only are there noticeable performance gains, you don't have to reformat to install Windows!

And there are actual usability improvements!

Never Odd or Even
Jan 21, 2009

This jerk again.
Fun Shoe

GoldenNugget posted:

just get a 30 dollar upgrade version and install that. Mine works fine.

Just installed today, everything seems to be working fine. I skipped the product code entry and I don't seem to have any issues thus far. Pretty neat.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

akrob posted:

Vista is pretty good, and I spent a lot of time running Decrapifyer on friend's laptops and defending it to people that were horribly inconvenienced and traumatized by an occasional extra mouse click. 7 is snappier in a lot of ways, most notably boot and shutdown. It also runs amazingly well on moldy old hardware that could barely run XP.
That being said, I still have it on two desktops and a laptop in my house. I only have it on my personal laptop since I upgraded it to an SSD.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

akrob posted:

Besides what everyone else said, what does Vista even have to do with people wanting a Windows 95-style start menu in Windows 7?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
Has anyone seen their icon cache get corrupted on a consistent basis? I find I have to delete the icon cache file once a week or so to get my system tray icons to behave properly. I'm kind of worried there's some malware or something but I've run a ton of scans and haven't turned up anything.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

roffles posted:

Has anyone seen their icon cache get corrupted on a consistent basis? I find I have to delete the icon cache file once a week or so

I used to have to do it after every boot! I finally just said screw it and created a new zero byte file and made it read-only. I didn't think it would work, but lo and behold it did.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Suniikaa posted:

This looks awesome!

You Am I posted:

Why yes, and I am one of them. :colbert:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I just want my windows to look like a slight redesign of XP with the "shortcut tasks" bar, but keep everything else like the taskbar and windows button and stuff like that.

Also remove the explorer sidebar on the left entirely from existence.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just want the drat tree view glyphs to not disappear. Microsoft knew this would drive devs mad, they don't fade out in Visual Studio 2010. Only in Explorer, Eclipse, etc.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Recently I've had a group of Windows 7 machines where the NICs are shutting down and not waking with the computer after it's been idle for a while or after a sleep. I've been going into the device manager and disabling the check box not to allow the computer to shut down the device in the power management and then rebooting the computer which has resolved the issue. Has a recent Windows update broken this or is anyone experiencing the same thing? This shouldn't be happening.

These are desktop computers that are not on any type of battery power.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IT Guy posted:

Recently I've had a group of Windows 7 machines where the NICs are shutting down and not waking with the computer after it's been idle for a while or after a sleep. I've been going into the device manager and disabling the check box not to allow the computer to shut down the device in the power management and then rebooting the computer which has resolved the issue. Has a recent Windows update broken this or is anyone experiencing the same thing? This shouldn't be happening.

These are desktop computers that are not on any type of battery power.

I had that with wireless and I had to install the latest Intel drivers because the HP drivers had the bug.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

GreenNight posted:

I had that with wireless and I had to install the latest Intel drivers because the HP drivers had the bug.

That's weird. I should note that a lot fo the machines are different models and don't have the same NICs. Also, the power profiles on some are set to balanced and others are high performance.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

So I'm installing Home Premium OEM on a self built computer tomorrow. Anything I should think about? Should I NOT enter the key at some point or something like that?

I'm guessing I'll just start the DVD and let it work...

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Would it be a good idea to convert 3 2tb hard drives to dynamic disks and then make a spanned volume so it appears as a single drive in windows? I don't care about redundancy (I will back up everything with mozy) or performance, but I fear I have to delete all the data? Is there any way to do this without deleting the data? Thanks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

IT Guy posted:

That's weird. I should note that a lot fo the machines are different models and don't have the same NICs. Also, the power profiles on some are set to balanced and others are high performance.

Ok that's hosed. Can you go to a restore point and see if the same thing happens?

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

LastCaress posted:

Would it be a good idea to convert 3 2tb hard drives to dynamic disks and then make a spanned volume so it appears as a single drive in windows? I don't care about redundancy (I will back up everything with mozy) or performance, but I fear I have to delete all the data? Is there any way to do this without deleting the data? Thanks.

If everything fits on one drive right now you can expand that volume to the other drives. At least you should be able to, I haven't created a 6tb volume before, so YMMV.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
I thought this would be an appropriate place to task this. If anyone who upgraded to windows 7 has an XP 32bit key they're no longer using, I'd appreciate it if you could pass it on to me via PM. If you want I can buy you a 5 dollar steam game or something in exchange for it.

Edit: Thank you, Suniikaa

WayneCampbell fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 22, 2010

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Protip don't install Daemon Tools or any software that installs a driver on a system like antivirus before sysprepping an image.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

devmd01 posted:

Protip don't install Daemon Tools or any software that installs a driver on a system like antivirus before sysprepping an image.

Can you give more detail on this?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Downloaded the installer for IE9 beta, Windows 7 is completely up to date, nothing left in the queue from Windows.

So why when I attempt to install it does it say 'IE9 does not support your Service Pack'?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

devmd01 posted:

I have never had a problem with AV being on a system image. What happened?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

devmd01 posted:

Slight derail - I thought Virtual CloneDrive was preferred over Daemon Tools these days?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ibroxmassive posted:

Downloaded the installer for IE9 beta, Windows 7 is completely up to date, nothing left in the queue from Windows.

So why when I attempt to install it does it say 'IE9 does not support your Service Pack'?

The final version will require SP1 for install. Dunno if the beta is supposed to.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

ibroxmassive posted:

Do you have the SP1 beta or something?

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

Parachute Underwear posted:

Old post, sorry.

If you're still having trouble on this, try updating the video card's drivers (or if they're up to date, try getting older ones). Failing that, I remember having a problem with The Sims 3 (and some other games) where the card was overheating itself and causing blue-screens, until I turned on Vsync, or whatever the option is called in Sims 3.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

ApproachingInfinity posted:

If you're still having trouble on this, try updating the video card's drivers (or if they're up to date, try getting older ones).

Purely anecdotal, but I have had trouble with nVidia drivers offered by WinUpdate almost every single time and on different cards (and different windows versions) too. I really don't know what the gently caress, but I now have a policy of just saying no to them, period. (Never had a problem with an ATI driver via WinUpdate though.)

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

ibroxmassive posted:

I had the same issue. Ended up that the version of 7 I was running was one build behind the final version. check the following registry location and make sure your build number is 16385 (it's the second number after 7600)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion. Look for BuildLabEx

edit: for the record, I didn't try just changing the number, I just decided to buy a new harddrive I wanted anyways and do a fresh install with a image I made off a modified upgrade disc I had for another computer.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

fishmech posted:

The final version will require SP1 for install. Dunno if the beta is supposed to.

It does not. If you have the full version it will download the prerequisites, otherwise you need kb2028551, 2028560, 2120976 and 2259539 installed first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Xenomorph posted:

Can you give more detail on this?

Developers are all getting new machines, so instead of installing 20 apps on 8 different desktops, the obvious solution is a specific image. I got a base install ready and handed it off to a developer for the app installs, and once I got it back ran sysprep and pulled the image up to our WDS server.

Firing up the machine to test out the sysprep gets the lovely "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer." Doesn't let you get past it, various solutions suggested online didn't work either. Image is hosed.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I have never had a problem with AV being on a system image. What happened?

Not necessarily AV per say, but from what i'm reading anything that installs a filter driver like daemon tool's SPTD.

fletcher posted:

Slight derail - I thought Virtual CloneDrive was preferred over Daemon Tools these days?

Yeah but the silly developer didn't know that.