Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The preview episode they released over the summer followed the same formula. I'm still not totally sold on Regular Show really. I like it enough to keep watching, but I don't really laugh at it like I do Adventure Time. It doesn't help that the only thing likable about Rigby is how he runs on all fours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

IRQ posted:

Wow, I watched some of tonight's episode and it's even worse than the original Scooby Doo.

Velma isn't hot anymore, she inexplicably wants to jump Shaggy's bones, and uh, Scooby does too, Fred is obsessed with traps (this was actually hilarious taken completely out of the intended context, especially the "Traps Magazine" he was embarrassed about Daphnee finding), and the animation is loving horrible for 2010. Even flash cartoons do better.
I think the show is great and hilarious. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and that's what's great about it. It's basically a metajoke on the original show with tons of ridiculous poo poo going on. Fred's obsessions with traps is hilarious. Daphne as an insecure clone of her other 4 sisters is funny as hell. I don't know what you mean about the traps stuff being taken out of context. It's always intended to be silly.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The second episode of Regular Show is on youtube. watch it before it's to late:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO4tcXsOdzs

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

E the Shaggy posted:

"You know who likes special entertainment like that? MY MOM!"

:ghost::hf::zombie:

Also, thanks for the link to "Just Set Up the Chairs". For some strange reason I really like that "Regular Show" doesn't have a genuine opening title sequence. It just goes straight to the episode.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

IRQ posted:

Velma isn't hot anymore, she inexplicably wants to jump Shaggy's bones, and uh, Scooby does too, Fred is obsessed with traps (this was actually hilarious taken completely out of the intended context, especially the "Traps Magazine" he was embarrassed about Daphnee finding), and the animation is loving horrible for 2010. Even flash cartoons do better.
Uh, okay this just made me want to watch the show. I can't stop laughing at the idea of Fred being obsessed with traps.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Ice Blue posted:

I don't know what you mean about the traps stuff being taken out of context. It's always intended to be silly.

It's a term used to refer to androgynous boys dressed as girls, thus luring you into a sense of arousal only to be led into the trap.

The trap is a penis.

And he's right, it is even funnier out of context.

IanJ
Dec 27, 2003

a real magic skeleton
The new Scooby Doo has some really confusing and disturbing characterizations but it's a HUGE guilty pleasure for me. It feels like the writers analyzed the hell out of the original Scooby formula and are trying to squeeze as much out of it as they can.

IRQ posted:

and the animation is loving horrible for 2010. Even flash cartoons do better.

I take issue with this. the animation's not incredible but it's REALLY ambitious. I was impressed with Scooby and Shaggy running away from the Man-Crab on a crumbling wooden bridge. I thought "oh poo poo that thing is gonna kill them!" which isn'tt something I've ever thought about a Scooby Doo cartoon. Which I think is a success.

IanJ fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 18, 2010

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Toonzone posted an interview with Genndy Tartakovsky about Sym-Bionic Titan.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

I skimmed most of that since I don't know anything about Sym-biotic Titan and thus aren't interested in it...yet. This part was the part that interested me the most:

quote:

TZN: Is there any more news about the Samurai Jack animated feature film you can share? Now that you're working with Cartoon Network again, are you going to try to do a finale for Samurai Jack? Do you even have an ending in mind for the show?

GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY: We are currently writing the Samurai Jack movie. All I can say is that features progress very slowly, but it seems like we are going to make it. But in the movie business it can take 5 to 7 years before it actually hits the screens. Hopefully it will be much sooner than that. As far as I know CN has no plans for a finale for Samurai Jack...and YES I have an amazing ending figured out!! Write letters! Demand that they make me do it! Please!

gently caress Cartoon Network for not wanting to finish it. I can't wait for the movie though. He makes it sound like the movie wouldn't finish it though, that he'd need Cartoon Network to pick it back up to finish the plot.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Do PBS shows count for this thread? I have a theme song that I'd like to try and get stuck in other people's heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-CkjaghqEg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that Sym-bionic Titan starts in an hour.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 23, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As a fan of The Sopranos, Arthur's "Bleep" episode amused the bleep out of me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFanROUEyo

The best Arthur is the one with homages to Beavis and Butthead, South Park, and Dr. Katz (among others).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzHo8111MLw

Hell, I suppose you could even assume the episode title is a Seinfeld reference.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, with the Muppets a shambling zombified corpse of their former selves it makes me :unsmith: to see that Sesame Street still has it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgvKCfZqxrQ

Haha this owns pretty hard. I'm pretty sure I heard 'Well done, my sycophants!' which is pretty funny out of Sesame Street.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, with the Muppets a shambling zombified corpse of their former selves

Wait, what?
I demand to know what's wrong with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Also Statler and Waldorf leaving youtube comments is hilarious :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

sickinwyoming posted:

Wait, what?
I demand to know what's wrong with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UmUX68KtE

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. (Be sure to put the closed-captioning on.)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Just saw Regular Show for the first time. I like it.

Also noticed Cartoon Network picked up Hole in the Wall. I think weird Japanese style game shows are the only live action I could tolerate on Cartoon Network.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Some people are taking actions to stop Skechers' new cartoon.

edited

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I get their complaint and I agree with it but man, I would watch the gently caress out of a Burger King show staring The King. I wonder what he does in his free time when he's not giving people Whoppers? Do you think he eats at Burger King too? So many questions to ask... :allears:

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

thelaughingman posted:

Some people are taking actions to stop Skechers' new cartoon.

edited

As much as I hate the idea of a cartoon designed to sell shoes, I hate the idea of censorship and nannying by the state even more. Blocking all cartoons that are or could be construed as toy commercials would mean banning TMNT, G.I. Joe, Pound Puppies, the Care Bears, Smurfs, Rainbow Bright, Strawberry Shortcake, Transformers, My Little Pony, and all of the magical-card animes---none of it high art, mind you, but not all of it brazenly offensive, and some of it quite beloved by fans.

Hell, the argument could even potentially be used to attack Marvel and DC-based cartoons.

I think the best solution is for parents to step up to the plate, sit their children down, and ask them, "You know your hero's a crappy corporate sponsor, right?"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Someone get a mod to embed this music.

http://chocobot.ytmnd.com/

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also, with the Muppets a shambling zombified corpse of their former selves it makes me :unsmith: to see that Sesame Street still has it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgvKCfZqxrQ

This makes me angry. How the hell could they possibly miss the opportunity to use the phrase "Glad Men?" :argh:

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:ssh: The whole reason all those 80s shows were made in the first place is because previous laws relating to advertising to children were changed so they could make half-hour toy commercials. The fact that such shows are "beloved" is a testament to how effective and insidious such marketing is.

Oh, no doubt--the current TMNT series and Transformers: Beast Wars/Beast Machines are perhaps the only toy-based cartoons (to my knowledge) that aren't total crap.

(Those of us who grew up in the 70s or 80s need to acknowledge that MOST of the toons we watched, period, were total crap, in fact.)

But, I don't think that's the FCC's call. The less power they have, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 23, 2010

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Apparently, Invader Zim got REALLY close to being renewed:

http://www.questionsleep.com/mindspill/?p=2024 (Jhonen Vasquez's web journal)

While I'd love more Zim, it's just means that those batshit insane Zim fans will creep up again and no one wants that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

:ssh: The whole reason all those 80s shows were made in the first place is because previous laws relating to advertising to children were changed so they could make half-hour toy commercials. The fact that such shows are "beloved" is a testament to how effective and insidious such marketing is.
loving Reagan

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.
Regular Show is pretty awesome and I shouldn't have put off watching it as long as I did.

fist-pump

spacejerk
Dec 31, 2003
I've been working on a show for the Disney Channel for the past few years. It finally debuts tonight at 9. It's called Fish Hooks. If you can tear yourselves away from the new Clone Wars on CN give Fish Hooks a gander and let me know what you think of it.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Waffleopolis posted:

Apparently, Invader Zim got REALLY close to being renewed:

http://www.questionsleep.com/mindspill/?p=2024 (Jhonen Vasquez's web journal)

While I'd love more Zim, it's just means that those batshit insane Zim fans will creep up again and no one wants that.
I don't think anybody wants this less then the creator himself(I refuse to believe him saying he was excited about it was anything more then a metaphorical stab in the eye to the base he loathes). I used to think it was hyperbole that the guy always looks on the edge of stabbing someone in the eye at conventions, but no. He's really like that.

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 24, 2010

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Kipory posted:

I don't think anybody wants this less then the creator himself(I refuse to believe him saying he was excited about it was anything more then a metaphorical stab in the eye to the base he loathes). I used to think it was hyperbole that the guy always looks on the edge of stabbing someone in the eye at conventions, but no. He's really like that.

He's the only comic artist that I know of that flat out hates his fans, and I really don't blame him.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I think he worked himself into a perfect corner, since he basically lives off royalties of the money spent by people he hates, and therefore never actually has to make anything for them ever again.

Though at the end off the day, Zim was still pretty entertaining.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Apparently there's some shakedown going on at Cartoon Network west coast HQ (maybe the whole company). I was invited to have a tour of the studios by a dad of one of the producers that works there (who worked on Chowder) but then I heard it fell through because of some shakedown at the company making it a bad time to visit.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I get their complaint and I agree with it but man, I would watch the gently caress out of a Burger King show staring The King. I wonder what he does in his free time when he's not giving people Whoppers? Do you think he eats at Burger King too? So many questions to ask... :allears:
I find it weird that it's bad to have iconic spokesman characters have their own cartoons but the opposite is allowed. We've had Simpsons promoting Butterfingers (and CC Lemon in Japan) and Flintstones promoting Fruity Pebbles for decades.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 25, 2010

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

^^ and Winston cigarettes!

Verdict on Fish Hooks:

Eh. The Scallop is the best character.

edit: The Scallop is the best character.

edit: It's a clam that makes oysters. the clam is the best character

Sockser fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 25, 2010

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Sockser posted:

Verdict on Fish Hooks:

Yeah, I got the same. C.H. Greenblatt and Maxwell Atoms worked on this? It feels like My Gym Partner is a Guppy. :psyduck:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Sockser posted:

I love Clamantha. "Doo doo doo doo doo...I'm a teenage clam..." "WE DID? :psyboom:"

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sockser posted:

Am I weird for thinking it's out of place that they have pocket lighters in the Flintstones? A neat thing about the show is most inventions other than simple tools like spoons are run by animals and humans. A zippo/wick lighter in the Flintstones makes no sense. What's the fuel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Ice Blue posted:

Am I weird for thinking it's out of place that they have pocket lighters in the Flintstones? A neat thing about the show is most inventions other than simple tools like spoons are run by animals and humans. A zippo/wick lighter in the Flintstones makes no sense. What's the fuel?

Doesn't the ad show that the lighter is powered by two sticks rubbed together?

ETA: Oh, the seahorse teacher is Master Shake.