Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I can't believe The Boyfriend would be someones least favorite episode! Not only does it have the Magic Loogie scene (plus a great reference to Jerry and Keith possibly going to see JFK) but it also has the whole Vandelay Industries bit. It's classic.

I was just watching it actually, and the unemployment lady George was dealing with looked vaguely familiar - I actually thought it was Nancy Marchand, who played Livia Soprano, but bizarrely enough it turned out to be a different woman who played Tony Blundetto's mother on The Sopranos, i.e. the woman who would be Livia's sister on that show :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I agree that Kieth Hernandez can't act worth anything at all, but the rest of the episode is just excellent.

I think that other guy might be right that The Stranded and The Dog are the worst ones.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Somehow I forgot about The Dog, I'd agree it's worse. I actually kind of like The Stranded for some reason though.

And yeah, I just pretend Vandelay Industries isn't part of that episode.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Guys, come on, The Busboy is the worst.

The Stranded is a great episode up until they finally leave the house, then it just kind of falls flat with the whole prostitute thing in the last few minutes. They should have just come up with extra material to fill the time and have them finally leave the house at the very end.

HateTheInternet fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 18, 2010

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HateTheInternet posted:

Guys, come on, The Busboy is the worst.

The Stranded is a great episode up until they finally leave the house, then it just kind of falls flat with the whole prostitute thing in the last few minutes. They should have just come up with extra material to fill the time and have them finally leave the house at the very end.

"THE DINGO! ATE YOUR BABY!"

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
I'd like to think Shawn Ryan saw Chicklis' Seinfeld character and modeled Vic after him.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
I decided to look up Latvian Orthodox on wikipedia after watching the episode about it today, and of course there's a Seinfeld mention. Turns out the writer didn't even know it was a real religion.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

I'd like to think Shawn Ryan saw Chicklis' Seinfeld character and modeled Vic after him.
Why on earth? His role was one of the Unemployed Commish (both literally and figuratively at the time).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The Boyfriend is right, though,though. Picking up someone at the airport is a huge step.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The Boyfriend is right, though,though. Picking up someone at the airport is a huge step.

Or dropping them off, either way. In terms of masculine relationships, that and moving really are very big deals. Especially if you're single, those are things you ask of the people closest to you, or family, and that's it. The funny thing is, I'm gay, and I still totally understand the mechanics of non-sexual male/male relationships as compared to sexual ones. I had a straight roommate for like 4 years, and we were great friends and lived together, picked one another up at the airport all the time, went out to eat all the time, saw movies together... Ironically it was like we were basically a couple without any intimacy or sex. We obviously still had real sexual relationships with others and our own interests and hobbies and everythng. It's just funny how that stuff works when you're an adult.

That Seinfeld episode made some good comments about it. But I always felt the episode where the writer mistakes George and Jerry for a couple addressed the same issue in a much funnier, more accurate way.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 19, 2010

coolhockey
May 3, 2005

let's party like it's 1994

kaworu posted:

That Seinfeld episode made some good comments about it. But I always felt the episode where the writer mistakes George and Jerry for a couple addressed the same issue in a much funnier, more accurate way.

Yeah, I said it a few posts back! The Outing is amazing. :)

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Was "Cougar" a Frank Costanza thing or a Jerry Stiller thing?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Keith Hernandez isn't that bad. I don't know why he's getting ragged on. The Boyfriend is a great episode. Elaine's "MILK?" always cracks me up.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I love Jerry's "Oh I'm jealous of everyone!" line.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

WoG posted:

The magic loogie scene alone places The Boyfriend well above The Dog and The Stranded (the indisputable worst eps).

Jerry: Oh, you have the Civil War book.
Elaine: 260 million people died!
Jerry: Thousand!
Elaine: 260 thousand. The hoooorror.

I just love how Elaine thinks 260 million people died in a relatively short war with small-number casualty weaponry.

Mastodon Rickles
Aug 24, 2007
I don't think you can really say their are any "bad" Seinfeld episodes, but the two I always think of as being weaker are the pilot and "the chinese restaurant".

They're the only episodes that don't have all of the main four and always feel kind of off because of it.

edit: not including the two clip show episodes of course, but that should go without saying.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mastodon Rickles posted:

"the chinese restaurant".

Holy poo poo, really?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh, man, I wish I was a Civil War buff. How do you become a 'buff'?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Mastodon Rickles posted:

They're the only episodes that don't have all of the main four and always feel kind of off because of it.

Elaine isn't in either part of the Trip and that episode is fantastic.

And, for the record, so is the Chinese Restaurant. :colbert:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Apparently Jason Alexander was kind of pissed that he wasn't in "The Pen" and he told them that if they didn't have anything to write for him he might as well not be on the show.

Still, funny rear end episode -- just like "The Chinese Restaurant" and "The Trip"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mastodon Rickles posted:

There was the L.A two-parter without Elaine, and the one where only Jerry and Elaine stay at Jerry's parents'. There might be more; that's all that come to mind. </pointless nerdery>

e: ^ahh, gently caress, beaten on both counts.

WoG fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 19, 2010

coolhockey
May 3, 2005

let's party like it's 1994

LesterGroans posted:

Apparently Jason Alexander was kind of pissed that he wasn't in "The Pen" and he told them that if they didn't have anything to write for him he might as well not be on the show.

Still, funny rear end episode -- just like "The Chinese Restaurant" and "The Trip"

I think he was paranoid that he was going to be written off of the show or that the character's role would be reduced (which is ridiculous, since George is so heavily based on Larry). The Pen was still early on enough in the series that this was in the realm of possibility, I guess.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

coolhockey posted:

I think he was paranoid that he was going to be written off of the show or that the character's role would be reduced (which is ridiculous, since George is so heavily based on Larry). The Pen was still early on enough in the series that this was in the realm of possibility, I guess.

Makes sense, but looking back on it, think of how completely ridiculous the notion of writing George Costanza(the greatest sitcom character of all-time) out of the show.

\/\/\/\/\/poo poo, I love that episode. "Uromisotisis poisoning" is something I use a lot to this day.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 19, 2010

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I love the Chinese Restaurant; it's one of my favorite episodes. It sucks that Kramer wasn't in it, but The Parking Garage pretty much reused the premise and included him, so that made up for it. I think The Parking Garage was a really underrated episode. The Chinese Restaurant gets a lot more praise but I don't think it's as good. It's even funnier after you watch the Inside Look from the DVDs.

The episodes that spring to mind as my least favorite are The Deal and The Tape. I guess it's kind of weird to watch any of the earlier episodes involving sexual attraction between Elaine and any of the other characters because they didn't really go down that road in later seasons (thankfully).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
CARTWRIIIIIGHT

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010

kaworu posted:

I can't believe The Boyfriend would be someones least favorite episode! Not only does it have the Magic Loogie scene (plus a great reference to Jerry and Keith possibly going to see JFK) but it also has the whole Vandelay Industries bit. It's classic.

What makes the loogie thing especially funny is that Wayne Knight was in the same exact situation in the Magic Bullet demonstration from JFK.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

wa27 posted:

I love the Chinese Restaurant; it's one of my favorite episodes. It sucks that Kramer wasn't in it, but The Parking Garage pretty much reused the premise and included him, so that made up for it. I think The Parking Garage was a really underrated episode.

I would say it's definitely a top 5, if not the most, underrated episode.

It also has one of my favorite lines that nobody I know seems to think is funny:

George: A guy goes to the bathroom and never comes back. It's like something out of a science fiction story.

I love the defeated way he says it too.

Mastodon Rickles
Aug 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Holy poo poo, really?

Actually this one might be more because it's on all the time so I'm kind of sick of it. That and I think the premise is done better in "The Parking Garage" and "The Dinner Party".

Also for some reason I never found the Mandlebaums to be funny until the most recent time I saw that episode where I found them absolutely hilarious.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
"This is all big crepe money!"

"There's crepe money?"

Furnace
Mar 31, 2004

12 teams is where it's at, right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? Yeah! Right? YEAH! SOME THINGS YOU CAN'T UNSEE, BRO!
"Hey buddy, where are we?"
"Earth."
"Someone just gave me a WISE answer."

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
Seinfeld got pretty loving meta.

I like how when they are trying to come up with ideas for the show at the first meeting he pitches the premise for 'The Chinese Restaurant,' which had recently happened to his character on the show, which I imagine happened in real-life, and the Seinfeld NBC execs hate it.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Leovinus posted:

Oh, man, I wish I was a Civil War buff. How do you become a 'buff'?

I think sleeping less than 12 hours a day would be a start.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Furnace posted:

"Hey buddy, where are we?"
"Earth."
"Someone just gave me a WISE answer."

This is the best. My family and I use that quote all the time.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

Mastodon Rickles posted:

Also for some reason I never found the Mandlebaums to be funny until the most recent time I saw that episode where I found them absolutely hilarious.

"How old's the son?"
"I think he's the same age as the father!"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Look, I don't have a square and I DON'T HAVE A PLY! *angry flush*

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Look, I don't have a square and I DON'T HAVE A PLY! *angry flush*

I just love that. I mean, I know it's awkward, but don't leave your neighbor hanging! I love how they express themselves through their feet, too.

And then she gets the ultimate revenge at the end.

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

I think I can see..... :aaa:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Jerusalem posted:

I think I can see..... :aaa:

So what? It's just a little brown, circular protuberance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Crimsonjewfro posted:

So what? It's just a little brown, circular protuberance!

In fact I like the picture so much I cropped out the nipple and I'm using it as my Health Club ID.