Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Most of that extra cost has to be the body pieces/paint/wheels. It's easy to make a ton of power for cheap on a GT500.

Yup. I was lurking on a Shelby Mustang site and there was a thread about some owners that are (understandably) livid that the hood cost $21K to replace or some such nonsense. Fake edit: Here's the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Anybody who pays $400 for a carbon fiber mirror cover and $200 for emblems should really just be peed on.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Okay, so I went to two dealerships yesterday to try to test drive a six-speed V6, but they didn't have a single one, they were all automatics. Is Ford just not making any V6-sticks, or can they just not keep them in stock?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

oRenj9 posted:

Okay, so I went to two dealerships yesterday to try to test drive a six-speed V6, but they didn't have a single one, they were all automatics. Is Ford just not making any V6-sticks, or can they just not keep them in stock?

Dealers are probably ordering them in automatic in hopes of catering to a larger market because Americans are notoriously in love with auto transmissions, whereas I'd think most of the GT cars will be manual.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hooch302 posted:

Yup. I was lurking on a Shelby Mustang site and there was a thread about some owners that are (understandably) livid that the hood cost $21K to replace or some such nonsense. Fake edit: Here's the thread.

I don't understand the whining about Ford wanting the parts back. Isn't it just like wanting a core back?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oRenj9 posted:

I have a V6-stick, so they are making them. According to the dealers I talked to before buying mine, pretty much everyone wanted a stick and no one wanted an automatic, so Ford is/was forcing dealers to buy a certain ratio, leading to the automatics sitting around.

EDIT: This is Canada. I think we have the same kind of automatic-transmission-love as the States, though. When I was looking around at used Z4s and SLKs, the salesmen practically laughed when I said I wanted a stick.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

KickStand posted:

2001 gt, 76,xxx miles. Only mods so far are a CAI. Cap looks OK to the naked eye, Ill double check for any cracks in the gasket, doesn't appear to be any bubbling in the system while the car is running.

Also there doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant or water/coolant in the oil but Ill do a compression test to check the head gaskets if I cant get this straightened out in a day or two.

Also check the expansion tank above the radiator. They're made of plastic and a little crack above the waterline could prevent the system from pressurizing correctly while not presenting an obvious leak.

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't understand the whining about Ford wanting the parts back. Isn't it just like wanting a core back?

It's more about keeping the unique parts that make the GT500KR "worth' $75k unique. Ford doesn't have many other ways to keep people from selling GT500KR parts to people looking to make a GT500KR clone.

Ford did something similar with the 1996 Mystic Cobras. If you needed to paint a part you had to go to the dealer to get the paint. You had to sign all kinds of contracts and waivers to even get the paint and then the dealer only gave you the amount the book said it would take to cover the part you wanted to paint and any excess had to be returned to the dealer. All of this was an attempt to prevent people making clones and keep the Mystic Cobras unique.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Dealers are probably ordering them in automatic in hopes of catering to a larger market because Americans are notoriously in love with auto transmissions, whereas I'd think most of the GT cars will be manual.
Most of the GTs at my dealer were automatic as well. I think they're just building what most people want. I didn't even learn to drive a manual until July. :blush:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Presto posted:

Most of the GTs at my dealer were automatic as well. I think they're just building what most people want. I didn't even learn to drive a manual until July. :blush:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. It's like being embarrassed about not knowing how to operate a steam engine or some other antiquated technology.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Even most GTs are going to be auto because that's what fat old men want. Sure there will be more sticks in Mustangs than, say, in Corollas, but it's still going to be predominantly autos.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Saw an '11 5.0 on the road today...being driven by the hottest blonde woman.

Goddamn, an amazing, fast car being driven by a gorgeous blonde? It doesn't get any better than that.

Hooch302
Jun 30, 2010

by T. Finn
Sure it does, if that amazing, fast car is being driven by you while getting a hummer from said gorgeous blonde.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My Mustang is the first manual I've driven, and I have to say I loving love it. It's a slight pain in the rear end from time to time, but the increased control you get and just generally being more hands-on with the car is worth it. Now, would a really, really good manual-mode automatic be as good, performance and control-wise? Yes, but you're not going to find such a transmission on many cars at the pricepoint of the Mustang, and it would still be less fun.

I don't understand people who say it's a lot of work. The only situation which is a pain in the rear end is stop-and-go traffic, and even that would be better if more people drove stick, because then they wouldn't feel the need to creep forward a foot every two seconds.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

frozenphil posted:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. It's like being embarrassed about not knowing how to operate a steam engine or some other antiquated technology.

More like "Isn't that like trying to take a shower with a raincoat on?". :dance:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Went down to my local Ford dealership today to take a look at the 5.0s and ended up test driving one. I was infatuated as soon as I started it up in the lot. Unfortunately it was rush hour so I couldn't really let it out but I was able to mash it a bit at the on/off ramps and man, I could really feel it wanting to go. I haven't driven many fast cars in my life but it felt great.

The best part was as soon as we left the lot, a cop turned in behind me and the salesman goes "Uh, just so you know, there is a cop behind you...". I really wanted to say "Let's make the bastard chase us!" but didn't want to make him too nervous, he was a nice guy who didn't bullshit me.

He said to hold off until Jan/Feb to try and get some incentives on top of my Costco discount, but I don't know if I can wait that long :sweatdrop:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 18, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

CombatWombat posted:

Even most GTs are going to be auto because that's what fat old men want. Sure there will be more sticks in Mustangs than, say, in Corollas, but it's still going to be predominantly autos.
Wouldn't there be more in Corollas because they're an entry level vehicle and automatics are normally a more expensive add-on? I know in Corvettes the 6-speed manual actually costs more. Is that the case on the Mustang too or is it cheaper to do manual?

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

davebo posted:

Wouldn't there be more in Corollas because they're an entry level vehicle and automatics are normally a more expensive add-on? I know in Corvettes the 6-speed manual actually costs more. Is that the case on the Mustang too or is it cheaper to do manual?

Manuals are usually cheaper.
Corollas are stereotypically driven by grannies who probably drove stick in the 40s-50's because them new fangled ottomatically shifting transmissions were only for the rich and people who practiced voodoo. But now they're old and need to have oth hands violently gripping the wheel while the car is moving.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

davebo posted:

Is that the case on the Mustang too or is it cheaper to do manual?
The automatic adds $995 to the price right off the bat according to Ford's configuration tool.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

He said to hold off until Jan/Feb to try and get some incentives on top of my Costco discount, but I don't know if I can wait that long
I got a $1000 rebate on mine, which surprised me. It's not much, but you know, if you're just teetering on the edge..... ;)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I ended up being depressed and angered after playing with the Mustang configurator on Ford's site. A reasonably specced-up GT Premium worked out at the equivalent of £22,000. In other words, less than a diesel BMW 316 or a Golf GTi. (The cheapest V8 anything you can buy in the UK is the Vauxhall VXR8, which costs £34k and is, well, a Vauxhall.) A Focus RS? £27k.

I hate you, Ford of America. :argh:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
You realize prices aren't 1:1? A GTi here costs around USD20k, if it were just a direct conversion we'd be paying closer to 10.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Muffinpox posted:

You realize prices aren't 1:1? A GTi here costs around USD20k, if it were just a direct conversion we'd be paying closer to 10.
Er, yes, I know. The GT I configured was over $34k, which is round about £22k at current exchange rates. A GTi over here is £23k.

Yes, we get absolutely stiffed on car prices in the UK. And everything else, for that matter. (And it gets worse in January when VAT goes up to 20%...)

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Ford 302 Small Block V8

Redline: 6000 RPM
Tachometer Max Reading: 7000 RPM
RPM That I Accidentally Shifted At: OFF THE CHARTS

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's a pretty car :)

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Payndz posted:

Er, yes, I know. The GT I configured was over $34k, which is round about £22k at current exchange rates. A GTi over here is £23k.

Yes, we get absolutely stiffed on car prices in the UK. And everything else, for that matter. (And it gets worse in January when VAT goes up to 20%...)

Ahh, I thought you were complaining about the price of models relative to each other instead of just the high cost of cars. You do get kinda screwed :smith: At least you get TVRs.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Muffinpox posted:

Ahh, I thought you were complaining about the price of models relative to each other instead of just the high cost of cars. You do get kinda screwed :smith: At least you get TVRs.
That said, I found an importer today selling a 2011 GT Premium (in the colour and spec I want, no less) for £35,000 on-the-road. Sure, that's a massive markup on the US price, but it includes shipping, import duty, VAT, registration, tax disc and UK-legal lights, etc. Hmm. Hmmmm. If only I wasn't planning to buy a house...

(Just for comparison, £35k would get a VXR8, a BMW 330i M Sport, an Audi TT 2.0 Quattro, an Exige or the absolute cheapest Boxster. Y'know, out of all those, I would seriously take the Mustang, even in LHD. It's a heart thing, not a head thing. Hmmmmmmm! God drat it.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Isn't the biggest cost the VAT? You can't blame Ford for the fact that your health care costs are paid anytime you buy anything. I write a check for a grand every month to an insurer that does everything they legally can to deny me health care.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Elephanthead posted:

Isn't the biggest cost the VAT? You can't blame Ford for the fact that your health care costs are paid anytime you buy anything. I write a check for a grand every month to an insurer that does everything they legally can to deny me health care.
VAT is 17.5% (will rise to 20% in January), so on a £35k car the VAT is a bit over five grand.

Incidentally, if you import a car, you first have to pay import duty (which I think is 10% of the price you paid, plus the shipping costs), and then you pay VAT on top of that. (And with fuel, you pay fuel duty, and then VAT again on the duty). HM Revenue & Customs are bastards.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, put gas in the Shelby for the first time tonight, with 170 miles on the clock. Got an astonishing 19mpg. Astonishing because it was no highway miles, and I had some fun along the way. This is shaping up to be a beautiful thing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Well, put gas in the Shelby for the first time tonight, with 170 miles on the clock. Got an astonishing 19mpg. Astonishing because it was no highway miles, and I had some fun along the way. This is shaping up to be a beautiful thing.
My GT tells me that after about 420 miles I'm averaging 16.2mpg so far. A lot of that is sitting in traffic in construction zones though, plus I can't honestly say that I've been easy on the throttle. If I can get into 6th and cruise for any length of time, it steadily improves.

I'm not complaining. My previous car ('97 GT) had 197 fewer horsepower and got about the same mileage. Slightly worse, actually, if you believe the EPA estimates on the sticker.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Sitting in traffic will kill you. My scion tc couldn't best 18mpg the 2 months my route to work had lane closures. Then again, even on the highway I can't do much better that 27-28. A guy I knew from my last job has been telling me he's done better than 20 in mixed driving in his new GT convertible which is heavier.

Only 2 weeks until I take delivery on my new '11 GT

ssspy007
Aug 5, 2003
Does anyone know where I can get a new oem trunklid for a sn-95? I would like to get rid of my spoiler.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ssspy007 posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a new oem trunklid for a sn-95? I would like to get rid of my spoiler.

http://mpsautosalvage.com/sunshop/

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Presto posted:

My GT tells me that after about 420 miles I'm averaging 16.2mpg so far. A lot of that is sitting in traffic in construction zones though, plus I can't honestly say that I've been easy on the throttle. If I can get into 6th and cruise for any length of time, it steadily improves.

I'm not complaining. My previous car ('97 GT) had 197 fewer horsepower and got about the same mileage. Slightly worse, actually, if you believe the EPA estimates on the sticker.

The on-board computer is telling me I'm getting 14.1mpg, so I'm doing better than it thinks. I haven't been easy on the throttle, but I haven't gone WOT yet either. I fully expect to meet or best the EPA estimate on pure highway driving as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The on-board computer is telling me I'm getting 14.1mpg, so I'm doing better than it thinks.

I have never once seen one of those things give anything close to an accurate mileage figure.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

I have never once seen one of those things give anything close to an accurate mileage figure.

The one in the Mustang apparently reads low, and my Fit reads about 3mpg high, but my wife's Routan is spot on. Strange.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

The one in the Mustang apparently reads low, and my Fit reads about 3mpg high, but my wife's Routan is spot on. Strange.

My '11 GT's OBC reads 15.6 MPG and the pump math shows 15.4, so it's pretty accurate to me. This is 100% city so not too far off the EPA numbers (almost 3k miles so it should be settled in).

I only drive on the freeway once every few tanks, so I've yet to check out the freeway mileage.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Figured out the issue with my coolant was a bad thermostat and me not burping the system properly :downs:

frozenphil: In the other mustang thread you mentioned a fuel system, forged short blocks, and ported heads for a New Edge GT. I dont suppose you remember what those were?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

KickStand posted:

Figured out the issue with my coolant was a bad thermostat and me not burping the system properly :downs:

frozenphil: In the other mustang thread you mentioned a fuel system, forged short blocks, and ported heads for a New Edge GT. I dont suppose you remember what those were?

There are dozens of each of those. Got any more info? I was probably talking about these companies as they are the best bang for the buck in each of those categories:

Glenn's Performance
DSS
Modular Head Shop

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

frozenphil posted:

There are dozens of each of those. Got any more info? I was probably talking about these companies as they are the best bang for the buck in each of those categories:

Glenn's Performance
DSS
Modular Head Shop

Those are exactly the 3! thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

What do you get with long tubes, full exhaust, 4.10 gears, a Vortech supercharger pushing 7psi, and everything else stock on a 2011 5.0 with an automatic? You get 10s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ63GxXqJ9c