Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
Finally finished Top Chef up to the current season, I'll start on 7 as soon as possible. It's ridiculous how fun it is to watch people cook things. It's like a Hell's Kitchen where the host is hot and the editing is only mildly ridiculous.

Just finished the last cycle of Top Model, too, because I like to torture myself. Is there a thread for the cycle that just started or is everyone over Tyra entirely?

Within the last month I've also finished Queer as Folk (hated the last season), Weeds (which is constantly batshit in the best way), and gave Nip/Tuck a shot but couldn't get past the reaching under skin bits. Slasher movies are just fine but when the slashing is with the intent of healing it all back up again my skin crawls. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
The wife and I just binged all ten episodes of the first season of Archer. Man that poo poo is hilarious. I can't wait for the second season. Did anyone else think Lana was voiced by Katey Sagal at first?

Next up The Wire and Californication.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

I haven't been binging through much lately, but I was thinking of giving Legend of the Seeker, Gilmore Girls, and Blue Mountain State a shot.

For those who've seen them how were they? Can I get some goon opinions/reviews?

Is Legend of the Seeker better than Merlin? Because I watched few episodes of that and couldn't get in to it. And is Blue Mountain State like Friday Night Lights? Or is it more of a comedy? I'm primarily looking for serial dramas.

Legend of the Seeker is really cheesy and campy at times, but it has more to do with the writing of the original novels the show is based on. It has beautiful scenery, as the show is filmed in New Zealand. It's very entertaining until the end though, but I can't compare it to Merlin because I've never seen it.

Gilmore Girls is fantastic for the first three or four seasons. After that, it becomes a downward spiral, just like pretty much any show that tries to make the high school to college transition. As it gets closer and closer to the end, Rory and Lorelai spend more and more time away from each other, which is the entire thing the show is supposed to be based on. I'd still say it's worth it until the end, it just doesn't keep up it's momentum.

Don't watch it if you don't like unrealistic banter with split-second responses filled with pop culture references, because that's a lot of the charm.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Merlin is meant for children.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Getting near halfway through the West Wing, season 3.

drat, Bartlet for America might be my favorite episode. Yes, beating out Two Cathedrals.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

RoryGilmore posted:

Legend of the Seeker is really cheesy and campy at times, but it has more to do with the writing of the original novels the show is based on. It has beautiful scenery, as the show is filmed in New Zealand. It's very entertaining until the end though, but I can't compare it to Merlin because I've never seen it.

I really liked both Legend of the Seeker and Merlin; while they're both generally fantasy fiction, they differ enough in execution that you could easily enjoy one if not the other.

Merlin is not quite for children but it is aimed at a "family" audience. It takes itself a little more seriously than Seeker which, while not openly tongue in cheek like its spiritual predecessors Hercules and Xena, is still very much a product of Sam Raimi et al if that tells you anything.

It's defiantly for a specific audience but I'd watch at least two or three episodes of Seeker if you try it. The first one gives you a pretty good idea of what you're in for but it settles into a slightly more even pace once the story arc gets firmly underway.

Basically: there's a wizard who may be the most awesome actor/wizard ever filmed, some unspeakably good cheesecake (very beautiful women and quite handsome dudes if that's your thing) overt T&A up to and including a cult of S&M Bondage Nuns wielding combat dildos and cool swordfights, sometimes Shatnearian in their choreography. The acting is surprisingly good and the story, while conspicuously similar to Star Wars, is enjoyable. It’s all in good fun. Man I loved that show.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
Well, my brother and I watched the first five episodes of the supposedly lovely third season of Lost. I'm not sure if it was because I was drunk, but we had a lot of fun with it. I can see, however, how a lot of it would've been just 'what the gently caress is going on' if it was like that on a weekly basis - all the awkward hallucination sequences, Eko dying out of nowhere, Desmond seeing the future, etc. I dunno, I still enjoyed watching it. Juliet is hot.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Well, my brother and I watched the first five episodes of the supposedly lovely third season of Lost. I'm not sure if it was because I was drunk, but we had a lot of fun with it. I can see, however, how a lot of it would've been just 'what the gently caress is going on' if it was like that on a weekly basis - all the awkward hallucination sequences, Eko dying out of nowhere, Desmond seeing the future, etc. I dunno, I still enjoyed watching it. Juliet is hot.

I liked the third season as well, even the beginning. I think it helps to see it all at once, because then the little detour taken in the first five or six episodes is just an interesting side plot that takes a few hours, as opposed to five or six weeks' worth of waiting to get back on track. I started watching Lost live essentially right after that arc, and I was surprised when I learned that people didn't like it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

as opposed to five or six weeks' worth of waiting to get back on track.

Even longer. There was a break of like two months after the sixth episode. "Kate, run!" And agreed, I don't think many people consider it a bad season, the first segment was just a little frustrating, compounded by that terrible scheduling move.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
I'm powering through Burn Notice. This show is great.

Automatic Jack
Aug 6, 2010

Aluminum Record posted:

My mom JUST told me to watch this. What's the appeal?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Automatic Jack posted:

A friend went apeshit over this and gave me the first few episodes to watch. It was okay, but not really my thing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Aluminum Record posted:

It's great...at first. But then 4 seasons in and you realize it's still the EXACT SAME SHOW each and every week. It will eventually start to wear on you.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak
I finished watching Freaks and Geeks and loved it, so I just started watching undeclared.

I got really into the first few episodes, but I am not on episode 7 (truth or dare), and this is too painfully awkward for me to watch any more. I can't stand watching this happen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Automatic Jack posted:

Bruce Campbell

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Burned through Spartacus which was a great show, and two seasons of Curb your enthusiasm, and now I'm at the second season of Dexter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Bruce Campbell
Pretty much. He's the only reason I keep watching.

It's a fun show but it's worn out its welcome.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Burned trough all episoded of "The Class" yesterday. Awesome show. Watched it because I have a little crush on Lizzy Caplan since I watched "Party Down", stayed for awesome humor and a lot of :3:

Unfortunately there is only one season :(

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 17, 2010

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

To those of you who suggested It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia....it's fantastic...thank you thank you thank you!

BoredSith
Nov 5, 2008
Almost done with the fifth and final season of The Wire, then ima start Life on Mars, the UK version.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

BoredSith posted:

Almost done with the fifth and final season of The Wire, then ima start Life on Mars, the UK version.

Awesome. I look forward to you coming in here and talking to us about Life on Mars.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

BoredSith posted:

I loved Life on Mars; you're in for a treat. There's really no reason to bother with the US version IMO.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I watched two eps of Life on Mars UK and the best thing about it was the music.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I just finished the first season of Deadwood, and I'm almost done with the first season of Arrested Development. Obviously, they're both really different but I really like them. Just started watching Breaking Bad, and I'll probably stream 30 rock while I wait for netflix dvds.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Just finished breezing through the whole first season of Community, I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about, and it was... alright I guess. Sort of like TV fast food, it's addictive and fun but sort of bland and too familiar. Yes there were some occasional brilliant zingers, and every one of the cast is real sweet and likable and they have a great rapport and all that (except Britta, she is really a huge boring buzzkill, also ugly as hell), but on the whole it's all so... inoffensive and sickeningly wholesome and formulaic.
I think I may have been forever spoiled (or broken, I'm not sure) by Louie's balls-out, no-bullshit, hyper-honest vérité comedy, but after that genius show, this is just... an artificially flavored and colored, breezy little distraction, not much else. Still going to keep watching though, you gotta have fast food too sometimes. Oh and I wouldn't mind seeing more naked pool matches with pointyface.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

So my brother and I were breezing through Lost season 3, when we came upon the Nikki and Paulo episode... holy poo poo. Horrible characters, horrible storyline, needlessly brutal last scene. I seem to be going against the grain of a lot of Lost fans - I was told the episode 'Flashes Before Your Eyes' was great, and thought it was a bit rubbish (mainly the way the conceit was handled - acting and writing once we'd established Desmond was back in time was great, but it felt stupid). I was told the beginning of season 3 is terrible, but I enjoyed it. And I was told by a bunch of people that season 3 is when the show really kicks into gear, and that seasons 1 and 2 aren't that great - hasn't matched season 1 yet, and it was really getting ponderous in the middle of season 3 for a moment. It just picked back up, now that Juliet is at the camp.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Season 3 really hits it's stride just after the halfway point and then barrels forward to a really great finale.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SaviourX posted:

I watched two eps of Life on Mars UK and the best thing about it was the music.

I'd stick with it for a few more episodes, its been a while since I've watched it so I don't remember when exactly it hits its stride but its a good show overall.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

So my brother and I were breezing through Lost season 3, when we came upon the Nikki and Paulo episode... holy poo poo. Horrible characters, horrible storyline, needlessly brutal last scene. I seem to be going against the grain of a lot of Lost fans - I was told the episode 'Flashes Before Your Eyes' was great, and thought it was a bit rubbish (mainly the way the conceit was handled - acting and writing once we'd established Desmond was back in time was great, but it felt stupid). I was told the beginning of season 3 is terrible, but I enjoyed it. And I was told by a bunch of people that season 3 is when the show really kicks into gear, and that seasons 1 and 2 aren't that great - hasn't matched season 1 yet, and it was really getting ponderous in the middle of season 3 for a moment. It just picked back up, now that Juliet is at the camp.

The last 4 episodes of season 3 are amazing. The season 3 finale is the best episode of the series in my opinion.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Since getting NetFlix a few months ago besides a countless number of movies I have watched Spartacus, 24, and Torchwood in their entireties (just finished Torchwood: Children of Earth tonight. Wow!). I have also watched every season of Lost that I could stream (up through S5) and have season 6 on my DVD queue. I'm glad I waited with Lost, as it would have been hell to wait weeks, or indeed months, between episodes. I have all of the new Dr. Who seasons queued up next.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

TheKeeper posted:

Since getting NetFlix a few months ago besides a countless number of movies I have watched Spartacus, 24, and Torchwood in their entireties (just finished Torchwood: Children of Earth tonight. Wow!). I have also watched every season of Lost that I could stream (up through S5) and have season 6 on my DVD queue. I'm glad I waited with Lost, as it would have been hell to wait weeks, or indeed months, between episodes. I have all of the new Dr. Who seasons queued up next.

Did you watch Torchwood before Doctor Who? How did you find it? Also, yeah, Children of Earth was one of the best things I've ever seen.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Did you watch Torchwood before Doctor Who? How did you find it? Also, yeah, Children of Earth was one of the best things I've ever seen.

Yes I did. Growing up I was a fan of the old Dr. Who (starting in the early 80's), but I never got in to the new ones. After hearing that Torchwood was a Dr. Who spin-off and a few of my friends say that Children of Earth was fantastic, I figured I would watch the entire series before CoE so I would know about the characters. I have to say I'm glad I did. Some of the episodes were a bit slow and there were a few odd moments, but overall I though the writing was solid and the actors did a good job. CoE was definitely the best of it, through.

Due to Torchwood getting a passing grade from me, I decided I would give the new Dr. Who another shot. I haven't started it yet, but will within the next few days.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

TheKeeper posted:

Due to Torchwood getting a passing grade from me, I decided I would give the new Dr. Who another shot. I haven't started it yet, but will within the next few days.

You're best off skipping Tennant completely, if you try to marathon those seasons you'll either slit your wrists or end up with irreversible brain damage.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Flatscan posted:

You're best off skipping Tennant completely, if you try to marathon those seasons you'll either slit your wrists or end up with irreversible brain damage.

If he likes Torchwood I'm sure the Tennant era will be fine for him too.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I just finished marathoning through all of Tennant's seasons / specials. I have yet to really see anything by any other doctor, and I haven't seen any Torchwood.

I found a lot of stuff (i.e., the writing) frustrating throughout Tennant's run, but I really liked Tennant himself. I also like Martha Jones whenever she wasn't talking about her love of the Doctor... So... I dunno, maybe I'm broken. But I am looking forward to seeing a new Doctor, because you guys really seem to like Matt Smith.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Flatscan posted:

There are some awesome Tennant episodes. Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, and the sequel to that. Just for the love of God avoid Love and Monsters.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008
I just finished S2 of Mad Men and S5 of The Sopranos. I have The Wire S1 sitting on my shelf ready to be demolished. After all the hype in this thread I find it impossible to live up to...

The Shield is my favorite show by the way.

rgaitan
May 12, 2005

I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick.
Netflix Instant Queue is a godsend for binging TV series. I'm catching up on all the seasons of "King of the Hill" I ignored when I was younger.

Currently I've been devouring CBC's "Intelligence." Someone on these forums posted about it, comparing it favorably to "The Wire," and watching the pilot movie turned into killing 12/14 episodes of s1 in a single day. Incidentally, I'm finally introducing my roommate to "The Wire," since he's heard me talk about it for years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been meaning to give Intelligence a try. Glad to see it's on Instant Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motorcycledriveby
Nov 8, 2007
Fitness is everything, but I could never do that
Rescue Me is a lot of fun until the dick jokes get old and you realize the plot has been terrible all along. I think I made it until the first half of season 5 before I realized this :negative: