Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I like how he labels Palmiero and Sheffield as "non-superstars" when both are comfortably above the 60 WAR threshold he set just two paragraphs earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

Bob Shabazz posted:

Players that Cameron thinks have "good, not great" offensive production:

Al Kaline, Orlando Cepeda, Jose Canseco, Boog Powell, Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Baker, Tony Gwynn, Joe Morgan.

Wrong, Griffey played for :swoon:Seattle:swoon:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I can't quite point out the way that article is stupid, but I know it is.

It has intangible stupidity.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Badfinger posted:

I can't quite point out the way that article is stupid, but I know it is.

It has intangible stupidity.

Because Adam Dunn isn't near the end of his career. He hasn't even put in 10 years of service time. It's pretty goofy to write an article like that when the only possible conclusion is ~time will tell~.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

trem_two posted:

I like how he labels Palmiero and Sheffield as "non-superstars" when both are comfortably above the 60 WAR threshold he set just two paragraphs earlier.

How old is Cameron? Sheffield was a legitimate superstar. So was Palmeiro.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

leokitty posted:

Because Adam Dunn isn't near the end of his career. He hasn't even put in 10 years of service time. It's pretty goofy to write an article like that when the only possible conclusion is ~time will tell~.

also his career OBP is .381 and Cameron talks about him like he's just a home run hitter or something

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

also his career OBP is .381 and Cameron talks about him like he's just a home run hitter or something

Well he also doesn't seem to know how loving good Gary Sheffield was so I just ignored that whole thing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

leokitty posted:

Oh yeah, I know.

To be honest, reading that I thought "Who is a current hall of famer that consistently hit 35-40 home runs and got on base at a pretty high clip?" and my answer was Hank Aaron.

I don't actually think that's a good comp for Dunn, but consistent high power with consistent high on base percentage is pretty loving valuable and Dunn's good at it. His hitter profile hasn't particularly changed since he was 23 years old.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Hahah, "If he hits 500 homers, and is presumed to have done so while “clean”," well argument over there. *Puts Sammy Sosa in the hall of fame*

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I just read a post on Fangraphs that is "Mariano Rivera is a good pitcher because he does whatever he wants with his pitches" (not as true for the two seamer but you get my point). I guess I'm supposed to be impressed by the color maps but it contains zero new info.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/riveras-cutters-working-the-count/

e: There's a chance I'm also tired of seeing 7,000 articles about Mariano. It's like everyone's backup. Hey, let's put up something about how Mariano is a freak

leokitty fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 20, 2010

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

I just read a post on Fangraphs that is "Mariano Rivera is a good pitcher because he does whatever he wants with his pitches" (not as true for the two seamer but you get my point). I guess I'm supposed to be impressed by the color maps but it contains zero new info.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/riveras-cutters-working-the-count/

e: There's a chance I'm also tired of seeing 7,000 articles about Mariano. It's like everyone's backup. Hey, let's put up something about how Mariano is a freak

that's also by Albert Lyu, who I'm trying to work with right now. He's 21 and knows how to use some MySQL tricks, but seems a little gunshy about delving into the cooler stuff.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah I mean the hot spot graphs are cool, the guys who do Pending Pinstripes use them a lot. It's just info that a huge amount of outlets have already done, in even cooler ways. Like the NY Times and that big writeup.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
ah, I see

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
the most irrelevant article in the history of sports

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2010/09/peyton-manning-eli-manning-colts-giants-gators.html

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I've tried to do heat maps before with pitch f/x stuff for MY BLOG and have failed miserably. Is there a way to do it in R or something? Because Excel just isn't up to the task.

lol nevermind I just googled it

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 20, 2010

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I was driving so I don't have an exact quote, but Mike Francesa thinks the 2010 Yankees probably have the greatest infield of all-time.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

jeffersonlives posted:

I was driving so I don't have an exact quote, but Mike Francesa thinks the 2010 Yankees probably have the greatest infield of all-time.

Last years was better by a lot and even then I don't think that's true

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Nodoze posted:

Last years was better by a lot and even then I don't think that's true

His rationale was, again paraphrasing, "three guys already have 100 ribbies with two weeks left, and the fourth is The Captain and we all know what he brings to the table!"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I thought this was originally in this thread but it was in the NFL N/V thread. Definitely deserves to be here though:

"Are NFL Head Coaches Benching Black QBs Faster Than White QBs?"
(thanks japtor)

Chock full of amazing sports journalism and scientific resesarch.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The Fire Joe Morgan guys are posting on Deadspin today, hitting lovely articles from the last year or so. So far they've got a post up on a Jim Caple article arguing that runs (!) are the best stat to evaluate a hitter by and another by Mitch Albom talking about how you should go to a game in person instead of sitting at your computer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They seem to be doing OK this year so far. Last year it was sort of tryhard Prioresque stuff.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Man this Jim Caple article is so loving stupid I can't even understand. I've never really read anything on espn.com before. Please tell me this is worse than usual. He spends 3 paragraphs not realizing he's countering his own argument.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

No Safe Word posted:

I thought this was originally in this thread but it was in the NFL N/V thread. Definitely deserves to be here though:

"Are NFL Head Coaches Benching Black QBs Faster Than White QBs?"
(thanks japtor)

Chock full of amazing sports journalism and scientific resesarch.

I was gonna say, there has to be non-baseball stupidity out there, and this satisfies my request! Lordy!

This guy is paid by the SFGate?? I know it's a blog and it says on the side that it's not edited by the staff, but good lord, are they reading what's being churned out??

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 22, 2010

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
How does Steve Rushin get work?

quote:

When a sportswriter stops writing about sports for three years, part of him goes into hibernation (tuning out the games), while part of him misses the metaphorical microphone that used to be his (but may never be again). At least that's how I sometimes felt during my absence from sportswriting: Half Rip Van Winkle (who slept for 20 years), half Rob Van Winkle (real name of Vanilla Ice).

Over time, devoid of an outlet, a man can let sports' manifold annoyances build inside him, until he wakes one day -- unexpectedly -- with more things on his chest than Flavor Flav.

It wasn't the big transgressions that began to weigh on me: The cheating, the lawbreaking, the lying. Those I'd come to expect. "The most outrageous lies that can be invented will find believers if a man only tells them with all his might," as Clemens said. (Samuel Clemens, not Roger.)

Rather, it was the little nuisances that piled up, threatening to undo me.

Until now, for instance, I've suffered in silence as players and coaches and commentators in the NFL have constantly referred to that entity by its full, formal name: "The National Football League." This is usually an attempt to lend drama, gravity or profundity to an otherwise banal statement. Jets coach Rex Ryan is fond of the locution: "This is the National Football League. Everybody's a good team." Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams told the Minneapolis Star Tribune this week: "You've got to play the game. This is the National Football League." ESPN analyst Cris Carter, yesterday: "In the National Football League, training camp is very, very important."

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Copernic posted:

someone mind buying this as an av for me?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Copernic posted:

that's written like poo poo but it's not even like top 100

also the point that people always unnecessarily say The National Football League is one I agree with so that may be clouding my judgment.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Copernic posted:

It's a good thing he made clear he was quoting Mark Twain (not Roger). For a second there I thought HGH would improve both my prose and my fastball.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHA/1913.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIL/1982.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1975.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BRO/1951.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2009.shtml

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

And if you want to include defense this one might have them all beat:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/1999.shtml

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002
The FJM reunion killed HatGuy. http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38832689/ns/sports/ :(

Quizero
Jan 28, 2009

Copernic posted:

Steve Rushin lives 4 houses down my street. He's a pretty cool dude. That article honestly doesn't seem that horrible, its just typical sportswriting really.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Quizero posted:

Steve Rushin lives 4 houses down my street. He's a pretty cool dude. That article honestly doesn't seem that horrible, its just typical sportswriting really.

Yeah, I get much more annoyed when people say idiotic things that have no backing at all, like the black QB one on this page, or people saying Vick has come of age after a game against the Lions, and expect him to continue playing wildly above his career averages all season

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Y'all missed the most bizarre thing from FJM day so far: http://deadspin.com/5644328/is-this-normal

It's about a Gregg Doyel article that references Joe Morgan and I'll just let you read it for yourself for the surprise twist about halfway through.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Crazy Ted posted:

Y'all missed the most bizarre thing from FJM day so far: http://deadspin.com/5644328/is-this-normal

It's about a Gregg Doyel article that references Joe Morgan and I'll just let you read it for yourself for the surprise twist about halfway through.

that mental image :psyduck:

I guess you just can't make this stuff up

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
We all still enjoy good journalism, right?

Because Andy Staples' story on the Fort Campbell (KY) High football team certainly qualifies. :3:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

toadee posted:

Man this Jim Caple article is so loving stupid I can't even understand. I've never really read anything on espn.com before. Please tell me this is worse than usual. He spends 3 paragraphs not realizing he's countering his own argument.

He's done some decent writing before (nothing that really makes him an ace columnist, in my opinion, which is why he remains stuck on Page 2), but that article was the most :stare: piece I've read in a while. I cannot believe an editor allowed that to be published on the internet.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Valdez might make Rollins expendable

quote:

The question that no one wants to ask: Does it have to be Jayson Werth who leaves, and not Jimmy Rollins?

Yes, because Rollins is not going to try to sign a new contract at 15m AAV when his FA value has never been higher.

Way to become so enamored with an awful hitter who plays pretty good defense that you'd want to replace one of the league's better and most durable (outside of this year) shortstops. Way to use the argument that Rollins is old, and suggest replacing him with a player THAT IS OLDER.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Way to become so enamored with an awful hitter who plays pretty good defense that you'd want to replace one of the league's better and most durable (outside of this year) shortstops.

I thought you were talking about Rollins :v:

Seriously though, the way Philly fandom latches on to replacement level players and becomes obsessed with their "contributions" is loving maddening. Everyone loving LOVES Valdez right now.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

stuart scott irl posted:

I thought you were talking about Rollins :v:

Seriously though, the way Philly fandom latches on to replacement level players and becomes obsessed with their "contributions" is loving maddening. Everyone loving LOVES Valdez right now.

I'm not pretending Rollins is a wonderful hitter, but compared to Valdez he's a much better hitter and he plays much better defense. He just hasn't twirled around turning double plays much.

Shortstop's some kind of awful offensive black hole this year. There are 22 shortstops that qualify for the batting title. Tulo's amazing, Hanley's very good, Drew is good, everyone else starts the slippery slide down to Ceasar Izturis and his .555 OPS. Rollins is having a cruddy year but he's still about Jeter's level, and that's a top 10 shortstop this year. His career OPS is .764, his OPS the last 3 years is .738. I would honestly take that in 600 PAs from a shortstop right now.

(Just not hitting leadoff. If Rollins hit 7th I wouldn't complain much about him.)

Vvvv It's not his fault! Uncle Cholly, you don't have to bat your worst leadoff hitter leadoff. It is not written in his goddamn contract.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah, his defense is good enough that he's still fine as a starting SS. I just hate that he leads off. All. the goddamned. time.