Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Specialize in a weapon skill. That's the only "essential" one because firefights cannot be ignored. Pistols break the game so I reccomend going that route.

muscles like this? posted:

Make sure to put some points into at least one weapon skill.

Even if you choose to specialize in a different weapon, consider putting points into pistols anyway to the point where you have at least two levels of chain shot, because it lets you basically insta-kill bosses. Even if you use a different weapon for every other enemy in the game, the pistol's nice to have for boss fights because they can kinda blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Foxhound posted:

Final Fantasy Dissidia
Counter, counter, counter! Every attack in the game has a tell. HP attacks also dim the screen. Even Zidane's Free Energy has tells that'll allow you to avoid it. It just happens to come out amazingly fast. Successful guards can be canceled into attacks or another guard. This is useful against attacks that have a lot of hangtime or send multiple projectiles your way. Speaking of which, a well timed block seems to reflect projectiles directly back at the enemy instead of tossing it in a random direction. I never really had that confirmed.

In story mode, don't be afraid to leave higher level encounters for subsequent playthroughs. They can be really difficult when you're just starting out. It's possible to win, but the numbers are stacked rather severely against you at that point.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Foxhound posted:

Also just got Little Kings Story.
Buy the best houses as fast as you can. Get your army and aim them at the most expensive houses. Hold the button which launches them into doors and don't let go until they stop grabbing money.

A short Oni patrol through the circle will make people very happy. Buy a Church and chuck them all inside repeatedly.

Those Lego pieces are end game.

Watch a video of the final boss. The whole sequence is separated from what you learned in the game. gently caress that boss.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk
Want to start playing the original Phantasy Star games on the sega mega drive collection on 360, not really a huge rpg fan but the series looks intresting. Should I start with the original on master system or just skip to number 2? Would I miss out on any important story? Number one just seems a bit too dated for my liking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Double Happiness posted:

Want to start playing the original Phantasy Star games on the sega mega drive collection on 360, not really a huge rpg fan but the series looks intresting. Should I start with the original on master system or just skip to number 2? Would I miss out on any important story? Number one just seems a bit too dated for my liking.

Skip 1-3 and play 4. 1 is incredibly archaic, 2 is rife with teleporter dungeons and other hot bullshit, 3 is not plot connected at all and requires immense grinding to get anywhere despite a really interesting gameplay mechanic, and 4 is a goddamn fantastic JRPG that deserves a sequel.

IV also coincidentally covers the important plot events of 1 and 2 that carry over, since the games are all around 1,000 years apart.

If you love 4, go back and try 2, then flip a coin for 3 or 1.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a remake of the series, but it is in Japanese.

*Have fun with the first and fourth.
*PS1: Don't open chests when you are in dungeons. Everything you grind for is outside and chests are junk.
*Save your MP for healing and killing bosses.
*don't bother with PS3 and PS2 is dungeon design hell.
*PS4 would probably suit you and it has everything that worked, for its era.

PS3 is related to the storyline, but it is so removed from events. It also has the timeline reversed.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 20, 2010

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Sentient Toaster posted:

Counter, counter, counter! Every attack in the game has a tell. HP attacks also dim the screen. Even Zidane's Free Energy has tells that'll allow you to avoid it. It just happens to come out amazingly fast. Successful guards can be canceled into attacks or another guard. This is useful against attacks that have a lot of hangtime or send multiple projectiles your way. Speaking of which, a well timed block seems to reflect projectiles directly back at the enemy instead of tossing it in a random direction. I never really had that confirmed.

In story mode, don't be afraid to leave higher level encounters for subsequent playthroughs. They can be really difficult when you're just starting out. It's possible to win, but the numbers are stacked rather severely against you at that point.

Speaking of higher levels, enemy levels are pretty much just an indicator of their difficulty.

Additionally, once you unlock the ability to fight level 100 enemies and fight Exdeath, you can abuse the Magic Pot summon to kill him in one hit with a level 1+ character and get a bunch of levels all at once every time. That way you can get characters you hate up a bunch of levels and breeze through their stories.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally broke down and picked up a copy of Red Steel 2. I played a quick 15 minutes or so (just rescued Tamiko(?) after fighting the hammer guy at the saloon) and I like it a lot so far. Anything I should watch out for? I notice there's a Damage Upgrade at the shop- if I buy it now, will it carry over when I get my actual katana back?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

On the first level of Ultima Underworld, there's the ankh-shaped shrine which is sealed by an unbreakable door. There's supposed to be a switch on the south wall, but how the heck do you get to it? It isn't down by the water so it must be on the elevated platform, but I can see no way of possibly jumping to reach it.

Do seeing orbs serve any function besides providing information?

I found a "green potion", but is there any way to determine what it does or do I just need a higher appraise skill? I'm also finding a few different varieties of plants which look different, although are labelled the same.

Is it wise to carry a backup sword? Backup armor?

After getting the interface and commands down, this game is shaping up to be absolutely amazing. The music is especially atmospheric and I like how the various sections of the levels have their own character.

Edit: Thanks for the tips!

Jive One fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2010

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What is the quickest way to gain money in The Twilight Princess?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

blackguy32 posted:

What is the quickest way to gain money in The Twilight Princess?

You mean you're not overflowing in money? Fastest way is to find the golden bugs, they're worth 50 a piece, plus another 50 if you complete a pair. If you've done those, go back to the dungeons that you've inevitably left money behind in because "It doesn't fit, so let's put it back for now" (:argh:)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jive One posted:

On the first level of Ultima Underworld, there's the ankh-shaped shrine which is sealed by an unbreakable door. There's supposed to be a switch on the south wall, but how the heck do you get to it? It isn't down by the water so it must be on the elevated platform, but I can see no way of possibly jumping to reach it.

Some switches you can trigger by throwing things at them. I can't remember if that's one you have to or not, but that's possibly it.

On shrines, if you didn't already know, you chant a mantra and that determines how your stats increase. There are good ones and bad ones, the manual has all the basic ones in it but there are better ones you can find during the course of the game. Save first then mess around with them to see what you like.

quote:

Do seeing orbs serve any function besides providing information?

AFAIK that's all they're for, but what information they give you is really important.

quote:

I found a "green potion", but is there any way to determine what it does or do I just need a higher appraise skill? I'm also finding a few different varieties of plants which look different, although are labelled the same.

You need more 'lore' skill to tell what special stuff is from what I recall. But in any case, you can just save, try it, and reload.

quote:

Is it wise to carry a backup sword? Backup armor?

Weapons degrade through usage. I think armor does too but I can't remember for certain. So yes you want to carry some spares with you. Your inventory will get loaded pretty fast so it's a good idea to just drop off some stuff you don't need at the moment in a convenient place.

On that note, be REALLY careful about what and where you drop unique sounding stuff. Even if it doesn't seem immediately useful, it might be later. IIRC, you can lock yourself out of winning the game if you lose something really important.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Okay, I'm going to play Megaman X: Command Mission, because it was cheap and hey, nearly-free game. Anything good to know? I've got the PS2 version if it matters.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Miracon posted:

Okay, I'm going to play Megaman X: Command Mission, because it was cheap and hey, nearly-free game. Anything good to know? I've got the PS2 version if it matters.

That's a fun game. Nothing really missable that I can think of. There's a tower that you'll climb at one point that is pretty easy to get turned-around in, so pay attention to where you're going. I think you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Other than that, just enjoy yourself. It's a pretty simple game--not that it's a bad thing--and it's a great stress-reliever when you're taking a break from something brutal like Demon's Souls or Etrian Odyssey.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Miracon posted:

The number of turns you can stay in Hyper Mode decreases at the beginning of your next turn, so if you use it to finish a battle, you lose nothing. I think Hyper Mode use gets refilled upon leveling up, too.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Polite Tim posted:

Perfect, next stop some loving horrible thing that'll kill me stone dead :unsmith:
Sounds good, always thought i'd bomb horribly at this game, but i'm doing a lot better than my skill at games permits me. Maybe I just have an easy ride for the first two levels and then it's insta death all round

Are there any demon's soul's worth just consuming, or is it best to use them all in weapon upgrades?

It's been a while since I've played and beaten the game, I think almost every soul is used at least once to make some weapon or unlock a spell/miracle, whether or not you find it useful is another story, if you're going to go for the platinum trophy, hold on to them all until you consult a guide that shows what unlocks what. If you're going to play the game only once and never again, then you can probably consume the soul if you're absolutely sure that you don't want what it unlocks (but since each one can unlock a weapon, spell, miracle, or all three, odds are you'll find a use for it). And don't consume flamelurkers soul (2-2 boss) or you can't upgrade any of your weapons for that playthrough.

And I believe I was mistaken, the 1-1 light phantom is the one with the armor as someone already corrected me said.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Palleon posted:

It's been a while since I've played and beaten the game, I think almost every soul is used at least once to make some weapon or unlock a spell/miracle, whether or not you find it useful is another story, if you're going to go for the platinum trophy, hold on to them all until you consult a guide that shows what unlocks what. If you're going to play the game only once and never again, then you can probably consume the soul if you're absolutely sure that you don't want what it unlocks (but since each one can unlock a weapon, spell, miracle, or all three, odds are you'll find a use for it). And don't consume flamelurkers soul (2-2 boss) or you can't upgrade any of your weapons for that playthrough.

And I believe I was mistaken, the 1-1 light phantom is the one with the armor as someone already corrected me said.

The Red Dragon soul can be safely consumed, and I think the Blue Dragon soul, but anything beyond those of the "special" demon souls should be saved.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Thanks for the tips about Dissidia/Little Kings Story earlier.
Got some more questions about LKS though.

What was that about Onii circles? I just got the letter from The Onii Kings calling me a jerk, is the Onii circle thing something I will get eventually or did I miss something?

Is it supposed to be pretty grindy? Right now I am just going around killing the same monsters for some loot so I can get the woodcutter's hut. I think I've found most of the holes for loot. Is there some obvious way to make money that I missed? Beside the taxes of course.

Will I ever be able to make my castlehut look like a real castle? :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Artix74 posted:

The Red Dragon soul can be safely consumed, and I think the Blue Dragon soul, but anything beyond those of the "special" demon souls should be saved.

This is true, but in addition some souls only have one use so on second playthroughs they can be safely consumed. Ironically the amount of souls most of the Demon Souls give when you consume them is insignificant by the time you'd think about consuming them anyway.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I think my post might have gotten missed at the bottom of the last page so I'll ask again about King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Foxhound posted:

Thanks for the tips about Dissidia/Little Kings Story earlier.
Got some more questions about LKS though.

What was that about Onii circles? I just got the letter from The Onii Kings calling me a jerk, is the Onii circle thing something I will get eventually or did I miss something?

Is it supposed to be pretty grindy? Right now I am just going around killing the same monsters for some loot so I can get the woodcutter's hut. I think I've found most of the holes for loot. Is there some obvious way to make money that I missed? Beside the taxes of course.

Will I ever be able to make my castlehut look like a real castle? :(
The Onii circle is a path you will have your army tear the hell up, because you want a safe way to populate your town and open up areas. It is a sort of loop where you triumph your troops over Onii lands.

You can make lots of money by getting a Merchant, but you will spend way too much to recoup costs until the end. There is also the repeatable kill quests. The better loot does come from new lands with tougher enemies.

Your Castle will eventually look mighty impressive (and god damned empty). It has multiple areas and a jail (that may also be god damned empty).

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
I think I'm retarded but...
I started Birth by sleep with the girl and I get my rear end handed to me on the first level (the cindirella one). Any tips ?

Lucky Cat
May 1, 2009

I picked up Morrowind for PC. I only played a tiny bit back when it was first released. I've never played the expansions though. I have however beaten the Hell out of Oblivion. Are the games pretty similar?

Lend me your wisdom, Dear Goons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Lucky Cat posted:

I picked up Morrowind for PC. I only played a tiny bit back when it was first released. I've never played the expansions though. I have however beaten the Hell out of Oblivion. Are the games pretty similar?

There's so much to say about this game I'm not sure where to start. It's similar to Oblivion yes, but the world is just so much more detailed from a lore/setting perspective. Combat isn't as fluid as Oblivion but you barely notice it (don't get discouraged if you can't hit enemies at first- it's normal and your accuracy improves as the appropriate weapon skill improves). It also doesn't have the hellish level scaling OB does. Really, I'm loathe to say much because there's so much to discover in the game that you should do so yourself.

For Goon (and modding) wisdom though, go to our Morrowind thread.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Lucky Cat posted:

While Morrowind is smaller, it feels much, much bigger. There's more weapon classes, more clothing/armor options, and more diversity in terms of factions. The scenery is much more creative, as are a lot of locations. The game just feels huge compared to an already huge Oblivion. There's more to explore and do, and finishing a faction quest line can take much longer too.

Also, no Oblivion gates!!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coulis posted:

I think I'm retarded but...
I started Birth by sleep with the girl and I get my rear end handed to me on the first level (the cindirella one). Any tips ?

Aqua starts off weak, as her strengths lie in magical abilities rather than physical power, but by about halfway through the game she will be far and away the most potent of the three. Play through either Terra's or Ven's story first, save Aqua for last so that you're used to the PSP controls and know when to dodge or block enemy attacks so that you don't die all the time at the beginning of her story.

Also play on Proud mode, getting the last story on Normal mode is way too much of a hassle. Always meld commands if you can with a crystal, here's a FAQ with fusion recipes (although it's got the names of some of them a bit wrong), the abilities you get when you max the command out are going to be one of the main sources of your power. If you can't fuse commands that you should be able to, it's because you haven't gotten them to a high enough level yet.

In terms of commands, the Magnet family of spells are crazy powerful and almost game breaking, so keep one of those in your deck if you're having trouble. Also try and have a Cure family spell on you at all times. Personally I found items useless, I've not used them once. Shot locks are very powerful, especially if you can get the quick time events down, and you're invincible while doing them, making them very useful for bosses and if you're in trouble with normal enemies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

upperthorax posted:

While Morrowind is smaller, it feels much, much bigger. There's more weapon classes, more clothing/armor options, and more diversity in terms of factions. The scenery is much more creative, as are a lot of locations. The game just feels huge compared to an already huge Oblivion. There's more to explore and do, and finishing a faction quest line can take much longer too.

Speaking of factions, they actually have skill requirements this time around (though not too high). In addition, some factions conflict with others- you can only join one Great House (but there are mods to change this), and doing a certain Fighter's Guild quest will get you barred from joining the Theives' Guild (and maybe kicked out if you're already in, but there are ways around all that). You can still become the boss of everything but it takes a lot more work, and not just because the questlines are longer.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Lucky Cat posted:

UESP.net actually has an entire piece on "Morrowind for Oblivion players." It highlights pretty much every major difference. Definitely worth a read.

Other than that:

- Become familiar with transportation. Your options are Silt Striders, Mage Guild teleporters, Almsivi/Divine Intervention, and occasionally some boats. Remember, there is NO FAST TRAVEL so you really need to know where all the transportation networks are and where they'll take you because getting anywhere in Morrowind is just a huge pain in the rear end. (You could also take the propylon chambers, but god help you if you try that quest. Those loving propylon indices are some of the hardest items in the game to find.)
- In terms of factions, you can't join every faction and complete every quest like you could in Oblivion. Some factions will outright bar you from joining or from advancing based on your skills and attributes. For instance, to advance in the Mage Guild your Willpower and Intelligence will need to meet or exceed certain standards. As a result, it's not so much that you aren't allowed to do all the faction quests so much as it's ivirtually impossible to do them all.
- You may want to invest in certain spells to save you time and energy. Some good ones for any character are: Detect Animal/Enchantment/Key, Mark/Recall, Levitation, Jump, and Almsivi/Divine Intervention.
- Remember that your attacks and spells will occasionally fail even if you manage to actually strike the enemy, unlike in Oblivion where if you manage to hit the enemy you'll always do some damage (barring any resistances). You also can't cast without sheathing your weapon. All of this means you just have to play a little more carefully than in Oblivion. Which is really just all-around good advice for this game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One of the more annoying aspects of Morrowind is that running drains your stamina, which you also need for fighting, so it's worth it to try and enchant an item which gives you a perpetual stamina boost (I think it's 3 per second? I haven't played it in ages).

You also might want to be on the lookout for the boots of blinding speed (consult an FAQ to find them, I don't remember where they are). You'll also want to enchant an item which counters the blinding effect. Running in this game can be quite slow if you're not a speed-based character, so having some help in that aspect can make the game a bit more fun.

If you're a normal human being and find that cliff racers are unfun and terrible after the first couple times they prevent you from resting or waiting, I think there's a mod that gets rid of them, so be aware of that option.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Astfgl posted:

- Become familiar with transportation. Your options are Silt Striders, Mage Guild teleporters, Almsivi/Divine Intervention, and occasionally some boats. Remember, there is NO FAST TRAVEL so you really need to know where all the transportation networks are and where they'll take you because getting anywhere in Morrowind is just a huge pain in the rear end. (You could also take the propylon chambers, but god help you if you try that quest. Those loving propylon indices are some of the hardest items in the game to find.)

One of my favorite mods was the one that gave you 12 or 15 Mark/Recall locations. It's a real time saver.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Actually, one thing to keep in mind is that the game is somewhat painful for the first few levels or so- you're slow, inaccurate, tire easily and can't carry much. Once you hit level 5 or 6 things start to go your way, and by the time you hit level 20 (that dreaded number in Oblivion) you're quite the asskicker. Speaking of levels, I know you can beat Oblivion at level 1 but that's not the case here- some spawns are set level so if you try to take on a Daedric ruin early you will get you rear end beat.

One more thing- if you follow the Main Quest enough eventually diseases will be a non-factor. If they're bugging you at low levels don't just reroll as a race with disease resistances, you won't have to worry about disease (common or blight) by game's end.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Anonononomous posted:

One of my favorite mods was the one that gave you 12 or 15 Mark/Recall locations. It's a real time saver.

Yeah, I've used that. You basically set up marks in front of every faction quest-giver in the various cities, and then one in front of the Mudcrab Merchant and one in your House stronghold.

Oh yeah, for new Morrowind players:

Merchants suck and have no money. Yet you'll find items worth thousands of drakes pretty early on. Your best options for bartering are Creeper in Caldera (Ghorak Manor) who has 5000 drakes, and the Mudcrab Merchant (on an island E of Mzahnch) who has 10000 drakes.

Of course, the Mudcrab is literally in the middle of nowhere, so Creeper will be your best option for most sales. Just be careful you don't accidentally kill the Mudcrab Merchant when you're exploring that region. He won't approach you, or be named anything other than "Mudcrab" so be on the lookout.

Also, when you join one of the House factions, you'll eventually get a piece of property with a house of your own. Based on which House you pick, your stronghold will look different and be located in a particular spot. Generally speaking, House Hlaalu has the most ideal stronghold, as it's a small house very close to Balmora. House Redoran gives you a nice stronghold near Ald-Ruhn, but it's a little far. And House Telvanni nets you the coolest stronghold (one of the badass Telvanni mushroom houses), but it's also the most remote (some random spot in the Ashlands, if memory serves).

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 21, 2010

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Ainsley McTree posted:

You also might want to be on the lookout for the boots of blinding speed (consult an FAQ to find them, I don't remember where they are). You'll also want to enchant an item which counters the blinding effect.

Boots are north of Caldera, on a path that veers to the West. You'll have to fight for them, but just one bandit. If I'm not mistaken, Breton have a natural resistance to the blinding effect. It's not 100%, but if you put them on and can't see, just re-equip them until you can.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

I think my post might have gotten missed at the bottom of the last page so I'll ask again about King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

If it's anything like the first game the whole point revolves around balancing your monster team. Get the skill which grants reserve troops as soon as you can. Even if you're not focused on magic sacrifice is a ridiculously over powered skill because it kills one troop type (preferrably one of the infinite, cheap troops) and increases another troop type beyond their maximum.

Monsters that summon other monsters are also overpowered because they can be targeted by the aforementioned sacrifice and enemies seem to bee line straight to them. You'll notice enemies attack summoned creatures -> archers -> lower level creatures in that order. You can predict pretty much every AI action using that rule.

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.
I am just now getting around to Bioshock. Any advice? I have already started on hard mode. Will I regret that?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

BigTeaBag posted:

I am just now getting around to Bioshock. Any advice? I have already started on hard mode. Will I regret that?

The respawn mechanic when you die is incredibly forgiving. If you're having trouble though know there's no extra reward for completing it on hard mode that I know of, except maybe a trophy or something.

After completing the Artist's Masterpiece, do not kill the Artist.

The ending you get is determined by how many little sisters you choose to harvest over saving. Saving as many as you can gives the good ending, harvesting even a couple will give the bad one.

Whichever you choose, make sure you save or harvest every Little Sister in an area before moving on.

A wrench-only run is completely possible if you set your plasmids correctly but your first run through it's more rewarding to play regularly.

Alris fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 22, 2010

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

BigTeaBag posted:

Heck no, it's insanely easy. Even if you crank the difficulty up, and ignore the fact that there's no penalty at all for dying, it's still a cakewalk.

It's better in the long run to save Little Sisters than to harvest them. If you want all achievements, you have to.

Take pictures!!! Spend your last dollar on film if you're running low. And don't hoard money, there's nothing expensive to save up for. You can make infinite money in Fort Frolic by abusing save/load in a casino, but there's no real need.

Always, always hack machines. If you need practice, dig up an old PC game called 'Pipe Dream'. The hacking minigame is a shameless ripoff of it.

Don't kill :gay: in Fort Frolic, you can do it later. When you get his key, don't bother slogging back to Fort Frolic to open his box, it's just a bit of cash and ammo. Oh, and you can get the 'Irony' achievement for killing him... I'll leave you to figure out how. :downs:

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

BigTeaBag posted:

Playing on hard mode just gives the enemies more health and they hit a bit harder. If you're an FPS vet, and can pull off a bit of circle-strafing, then it isn't that hard.

If you're playing a patched up PC version, you can disable Vita-Chambers in the gameplay options to make death actually matter. (Not sure about the console versions.)

If you're running low on ammo in the early part of the game and don't feel like picking a fight with a Big Brother, you can always go back later.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Decided to pick up Jade Empire: Special Edition for PC. I like Bioware, but missed this game back when it was released so I decided to catch up.

-Thousand Cuts is the worst Martial Style in the game. Do not pick it when creating a character.

-The best martial styles are Viper and Iron Palm, but they cannot be purchased at shops or picked at the start of the game and you cannot learn both. You must collect three scrolls that correspond to each style, which are scattered throughout the game, the final scrolls being available on Chapter 3.

-The Storm Dragon and Paralyzing Palm styles are game breakers against human enemies, even bosses. (though useless against ghost or demons) Stun, attack, stun, attack, and repeat until you win. Storm Dragon has the edge in that you get it much earlier, and Harmonic Combos are easier to pull off with it.

-Don't max out the upgrades for the Staff or Sword weapons styles. (one of which you'll receive early in the game). There are much better weapons styles later on.

-The best weapon style in the game is Tangs Vengeance. It has one almost game-breaking perk: Once the Focus Reduction upgrade is maxed out, it becomes the only weapon in the game that cost NO Focus.

-The Jade Golem and Red Minister transformation styles are also incredibly powerful and render you immune to most attacks. Red Minister in particular, because its attacks drain health and chi and thus allow you maintain the form longer than other transformation styles.

-Don't bother upgrading Chi Attack for Martial Styles, unless you got skill points to burn. Even when maxed out, your attacks will be only moderately more powerful yet you'll burn through Chi like mad.

-There's only one firearm in the game (Mirabelle), but its pretty nasty. Max out its upgrades and you can murder tougher enemies like demons from a safe distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

So I've had Dead Rising since it first came out, but never really played it except to gently caress around.

I've decided to try and do what I can with it, but I noticed that I had gotten the Carjacker achievement long ago. Now I apparently didn't complete that game I got it in, so of course I didn't unlock the prisoner costume. If I hijack the convict's jeep again and complete the game this time, will it unlock even though the achievement is already gotten?