Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Daimo posted:

Anybody else else watch Dispatches?

As an ex-squaddie that program confirmed everything people at my level think, although it was basically a rip of Lewis Page's book. Highly recommended watching if you're interested in the MOD and missed it earlier.

Caught a bit of it as my dad who is ex-RAF Infantry was watching it, I guess all the money for that new Aircraft Carrier we weren't suppose to share with France was sunk into all sorts useless bollocks.

Wasting money seems to have became a British Government institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

^^^

I was Rifles so I've noticed your avatar for some time now. Guessing you just really like Sharpe?

My favourite example was comparing our hierarchy to that of the USMC, which is slightly larger than us. They have about 90 officers above the rank of brigadier, and we have over 400. :siren:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Daimo posted:

^^^

I was Rifles so I've noticed your avatar for some time now. Guessing you just really like Sharpe?

My favourite example was comparing our hierarchy to that of the USMC, which is slightly larger than us. They have about 90 officers above the rank of brigadier, and we have over 400. :siren:

Yeah, Sharpe and Hornblower are pretty cool. I'm a major history buff. Still sort of hoping one day we'll get a British high production WW2 series.

Or at least another Hornblower episode. Before the bloke who plays him ages.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
I caught about the last half of that.

Some of the stuff grated a bit though. Like i know nothing about the military and none of my family have served since WW2 but i am a Mechanical engineer.

When they were talking about the new helicopter which was chosen ahead of the black hawk, surely they have to move on and attempt to improve the design considering the black hawk was flew in the early 1970s.

The military in general seems far too top heavy though. I cant even begin to understand how 20,000 people are involved with sourcing equipment.

Also doesnt the navy have more admirals than battle ships?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, Sharpe and Hornblower are pretty cool. I'm a major history buff. Still sort of hoping one day we'll get a British high production WW2 series.

Or at least another Hornblower episode. Before the bloke who plays him ages.

Hornblower was awesome but I never got Sharpe, it just seemed a bit too cheesy!

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

When they were talking about the new helicopter which was chosen ahead of the black hawk, surely they have to move on and attempt to improve the design considering the black hawk was flew in the early 1970s.

The military in general seems far too top heavy though. I cant even begin to understand how 20,000 people are involved with sourcing equipment.

Also doesnt the navy have more admirals than battle ships?

They are both '70s aircraft, the Lynx flew first and both have recieved upgrades throughout their lives. The Blackhawk has room for troops but the Lynx is basically a lovely version of a Huey without room for troops. It's never been used for anything other than transporting generals around the UK, or sonar'ing the sea. We keep updating it even though it has no real purpose :confused: (edit: except precious export value £££££££)

The full absurdity of it all is explained in Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs by Lewis Page. He's an ex Navy officer who left because he couldn't stand the bullshit anymore - a bit like me!

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 21, 2010

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Please everybody watch Community when it starts on VIVA. It's the closest thing we have to Arrested Development, but probably more appealing to a wider audience, as all the characters look like they've fallen out of different genres, providing different types of jokes (some of which, sadly, are the aforementioned 'you are a black person' jokes).

Chevy Chase hasn't been this funny in decades, and another guy, Danny Pudi, playing a borderline aspie who views everyone else's life as if it's a tv show, is going to be the biggest comic star of the next few years.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Padje posted:

Please everybody watch Community when it starts on VIVA. It's the closest thing we have to Arrested Development, but probably more appealing to a wider audience, as all the characters look like they've fallen out of different genres, providing different types of jokes (some of which, sadly, are the aforementioned 'you are a black person' jokes).

Chevy Chase hasn't been this funny in decades, and another guy, Danny Pudi, playing a borderline aspie who views everyone else's life as if it's a tv show, is going to be the biggest comic star of the next few years.

Do you work on Viva?

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Got The Hunger Ted posted:

Also - who gets Sons of Anarchy if Bravo's going? I hope Sky get it, it's deserving of a bigger audience that Bravo + Five US get it.

Bear in mind that Sky owns our company now, including all the programming content. So they already have the show. It won't disappear. It does pretty good numbers on Bravo by the way, as good as if it aired on Sky 1. Bravo has had some shows do spectacularly well in the last year - Spartacus nearly hit 1m for its finale - that's Lost numbers.

I'm very sad to see it go :(

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

DougieFFC posted:

Do you work on Viva?

No I live on the internet and try and improve British lives through television recommendations.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

that appears to be the case

it literally only just got rebranded though, like last month. And now it's dead. what the gently caress sky

If you think about Sky Sports News leaving Freeview, Sky do not want to have channels on there that add affinity for the platform as a good alternative to Sky. So something like Virgin 1 / Channel One, which is the home of a few shows with brand affinity, and some strong library stock like Star Trek, works against Sky's primary remit, which is to sell subscriptions. However, something like Sky 3, which transmits old stock that no one particularly loves, but will still rate, is perfectly suited to Sky's purposes.

Edit:

bitterandtwisted posted:

What the gently caress, sky3 is nothing like Virgin1. Virgin1 had star trek and x files. Sky3 had... uh... Dog Borstal? Is that still running? I watched that once. And one part of the election debates.

loving Murdoch just stole all of freeview's sci-fi from me.

Case in point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So, block party when Murdoch dies then?

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

Junkenstein posted:

Worth tuning into Him and Her on BBC3 after Inbetweeners, too.

I am loving Him and Her at the moment, having Inbetweeners and Him and Her straight after is making Monday my favourite TV night.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Daimo posted:

Those two programs epitomise exactly what is wrong with America.

They sometimes show the British versions. They are infinitely more hilarious.

Once I watched an upper class girl ride into a tent on a horse painted like a zebra. She was angry she couldn't get an actual zebra.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Daimo posted:

Anybody else else watch Dispatches?

As an ex-squaddie that program confirmed everything people at my level think, although it was basically a rip of Lewis Page's book. Highly recommended watching if you're interested in the MOD and missed it earlier.

Also being "in a bubble" was pretty much spot on. Is it just mine or do everybody else's facebook news feeds read like a screenplay of the Inbetweeners?

That Lewis Page book is loving brilliant, and angered me. But I read Private Eye so I'm angered on a daily basis. Don't forget he writes for The Register too.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....

Phoon posted:

Once I watched an upper class girl ride into a tent on a horse painted like a zebra. She was angry she couldn't get an actual zebra.

OK, that is amazing, so amazing I HAD to track it down:

http://www.mtv.co.uk/shows/my-super-sweet-16-uk/episode/my-super-sweet-16-uk-103

Clip 2

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Padje posted:

I kind of think it's just... alright? More comparable to Scrubs than Arrested Development.

I work for a major defence contractor and have worked with the RAF in the past, but I missed the Dispatches report. Just ordered the book. People have been moaning about it today, though. It's like any other large business though, bloated and overcomplicated and full of poo poo decisions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jays dad needs to brutally torpedo his BS more often.

This show loves its projectile vomiting.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So are we supposed to think they actually did get high off one toke, or that they're just being morons and pretending the act high? I wasn't sure. Wait, no, that girls vomit was from ILLEGAL DRUGS so I guess were supposed to think that they were really high. Shame cannabis doesn't work that way I guess.

Banjos4Hobos
Jun 22, 2006

Stumiester posted:

Only Connect:

2 Jills, 1 Cup

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. My other half now thinks I'm mental for cackling at that.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Phoon posted:

I love the UK version, it is amazing, probably because of how I can actually relate to the people in it. I saw one once where it was a rich girl from Cheltenham, which is very close to where I live, and everyone in it was just the exact kind of slightly snobby idiot that I've met many times before. Needless to say it was brilliant

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Akuma posted:

So are we supposed to think they actually did get high off one toke, or that they're just being morons and pretending the act high? I wasn't sure. Wait, no, that girls vomit was from ILLEGAL DRUGS so I guess were supposed to think that they were really high. Shame cannabis doesn't work that way I guess.

I thought the girl was vomiting because she was concussed?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

keveh posted:

OK, that is amazing, so amazing I HAD to track it down:

http://www.mtv.co.uk/shows/my-super-sweet-16-uk/episode/my-super-sweet-16-uk-103

Clip 2

I know someone who sent her a message on facebook drunk after watching that.

zebragirl zebragirl posted:

Your spoilt antics made me hurl

Her Response posted:

thank you for taking the time to send this pleasant message.....i hope you are not always this judmental without even meeting someone
best regards

Which is quite nice to be honest. Still...'can't you get one from the zoo for me?'

Adrianics posted:

I thought the girl was vomiting because she was concussed?

Yer, she was concussed and even says something to the effect.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
smoking weed could make you vom anyway I guess, especially if it's your first time and you'd been drinking too

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ahhh, I don't think I was paying enough attention. Thanks.

Paperhouse posted:

smoking weed could make you vom anyway I guess, especially if it's your first time and you'd been drinking too
Really? Bit of a stretch...

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Akuma posted:

Ahhh, I don't think I was paying enough attention. Thanks.
Really? Bit of a stretch...
less of a stretch than "please get me my mummy I can't control my arms anymore"

and I guess also it would be possible to get high off of only that much if it was strong and they'd not done it before. It wasn't that which brought it down for me at least, it was Will's silly experience.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jays dad needs to brutally torpedo his BS more often.

This show loves its projectile vomiting.

Jay and his dad have a great dynamic. You can tell Jay bullshits to cover up the poo poo his dad puts on him and his bullshit getting called out just makes it so much worse.

The caravan camp episode was fantastic for this reason. You really got a chance to see why the hell Jay needs to try and prop himself up.

Love how the kids characters are shaped by their parents. Just very clever characterisation and writing overall. Also, more of Wills mum please.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Paperhouse posted:

less of a stretch than "please get me my mummy I can't control my arms anymore"

and I guess also it would be possible to get high off of only that much if it was strong and they'd not done it before. It wasn't that which brought it down for me at least, it was Will's silly experience.
I know what you mean, but since I've never eaten a big chunk of Mary Jane, or known anyone that has, it didn't bother me as much. They really should have shown some restraint and not had the crazy arm flailing stuff, though. Him babbling about being in a bubble is enough.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Akuma posted:

I know what you mean, but since I've never eaten a big chunk of Mary Jane, or known anyone that has, it didn't bother me as much. They really should have shown some restraint and not had the crazy arm flailing stuff, though. Him babbling about being in a bubble is enough.

I think the joke was "Will is a spaz" not "eating a bit of weed will give you the flailies".

Episode ruled, doesn't matter that wills reaction was over the top, it was still funny!

Edit: Simon and Jay's reactions were fairly realistic, like some of my friends the first time they smoked

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sleeeeeepy time.

Just awwww.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
The drugs and gigs references were pretty cringy. Not particularly funny. The gig in particular was a bit "american". As in far too enthusiastic for a pub gig.

Jay is head and shoulders the best character though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Him and Her, the tooth brush bit was brilliant.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Didn't Mark also vomit after having a go on Jeremy's bong in the "Flat Party" episode of the last series of Peepshow. Seems like a common reaction in TV land...

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Mark was already very pissed when he hit that bong, would've been more unrealistic if he didn't whitey.

Edit: Speaking of unrealistic portrayals of drug use, did anyone else stay up and watch the Breakfast Club last night? Got about 4 hours sleep because BBC insist on putting classic films on at stupid times.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 21, 2010

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
This Is England '86. The piano music has started, something bad is going to happen.

Brilliant bit of telly tonight, devastatingly harrowing, but brilliant.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Leyburn posted:

Edit: Speaking of unrealistic portrayals of drug use, did anyone else stay up and watch the Breakfast Club last night? Got about 4 hours sleep because BBC insist on putting classic films on at stupid times.

I was half watching it and honestly didn't know what to think! Very strange film.

-

Just finished watching This is England 86 and was really enjoying it for a change - until the last ten minutes. That rape scene just killed all my enjoyment and made me feel like :smith:. It wasn't even the fun kind of rape. The most entertaining character is the utterly ridiculous guy in the egg blue ellesse tracksuit, and he never gets enough screen time. I guess he's the counterpoint for all the melancholy in the program. I don't know, to me good TV is something that makes me feel positive.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Man I really need season 3 of Breaking Bad. Another reason Five is complete poo poo.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Figaro posted:

Didn't Mark also vomit after having a go on Jeremy's bong in the "Flat Party" episode of the last series of Peepshow. Seems like a common reaction in TV land...

My flat-mate used to retch at the smell of weed, and has on one occasion nearly vommed everywhere because the smell hit her unexpectedly when she was rat-arsed. That said she eats it in brownies so she doesnt deal with it.

Id understand if the inbetweeners was a hard-hitting documentary about drugs, but its a sitcom? who cares?

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:
will would have been funnier if he hadn't gone random arms mental. that's way too much energy for someone hosed on weed

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

John_Anon_Smith posted:

will would have been funnier if he hadn't gone random arms mental. that's way too much energy for someone hosed on weed
its just not something weed would do to you

I know it's just a sitcom but when it's shows like Peep Show or Inbetweeners that sort of rely on a sense of realism that you can usually relate to, it's a bit irritating when something unrealistic or over the top happens. It was still a very funny episode though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

That episode of This is England '86 was really loving good, though I have a good dozen or so people on my Facebook news feed saying they're not watching it anymore because of the rape scene

Not sure why i'm spoilering that, seeing as it's aired, best to be on the safe side though.

Oh and The Inbetweeners was great as usual, I agree with the arm flailing going a bit too far, but the first time I whiteied after *eating* too much weed I honestly thought I was going to die as well.

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 22, 2010