Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
It's been 12 days since my last cigarette and this poo poo sucks I hate it I hate it I hate auuuugggghhh gently caress it all why does anything good on this planet have to be loving horrible for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Been 3 days for me with no smokes. It actually isn't that bad. I have a few cravings daily but I get over them. I've found just removing me from whatever situation and engaging in something works best as I can concentrate on something else. Chantix is going fine - no crazy side effects aside from pooping some of the nastiest poo poo I've ever smelled. Dreams are fine, sleep is fine and I don't want to kill myself yet.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's

hammeredspace posted:

It's been 12 days since my last cigarette and this poo poo sucks I hate it I hate it I hate auuuugggghhh gently caress it all why does anything good on this planet have to be loving horrible for you.

If it's any consolation, in about one more week you're probably going to feel fantastic :unsmith:

Congratulations on making it 12 days, keep on it and you can do it :cool:

pesky_lemur
Jul 7, 2007
cogito ergo spud
It's been about 11 months since I last smoked. I can't lie, the urge is still there (although GREATLY diminished), but as time goes on I realize more and more just how repulsive and disgusting smoking was...ugh. I am so glad I quit.

Tang_12
Sep 24, 2004

things that make you go hmm?
Its been 2 weeks, 4 days, 18 hours, 10 minutes, 16 seconds since I stopped. Just was tired of feeling self concious about it. I didnt really make a big deal out of quitting, I just stopped. I feel that may have helped me out.
Also, my quit counter says I would have smoke 243 cigs had I kept going. That's just crazy, I would hate to know what my lifetime number is.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm a couple weeks away from the one year mark since I quit and I haven't felt this good in at least a decade. I gained a pretty significant amount of weight right after quitting, but I started going to the gym to counter that. Now I'm as fit as I ever was in high school and I hardly think about cigarettes anymore. Quitting also freed up a lot of money. With the money I'm saving I can afford to go out somewhere nice to eat once more per week if I want, or I can waste it on steam deals or something.

gently caress ya

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
I think Im well on my way, and finding it surprisingly easy. Im sitting at 3.5 days now, and have gone through all my usual 'triggers' with the exception of just smoking to kill time at work. I even went on a massive blinder last night and only got an urge once or twice, and they were dealt with by drinking more which worked quite nicely :D

I still find myself running through that mental process of getting ready for a smoke though. Like when Im about finished a meal I find myself thinking 'right, where are my smokes' coz the first thing I used to do was light up. Not an urge or craving, but more just the ritual or habit of smoking I guess.

Probably saved about $50 already.

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
Well, 2 weeks ago I quit cold turkey. Nobody noticed until today (except my roommate but he's always around so whatever), which kind of surprised me, since a couple of my co-workers were always "I CAN SMELL YOU FROM OVER HERE YOU SHOULD QUIT OMG YOU'RE DOING TO DIE YOU REEK!!!!! :byodood: ". Couldn't have been that bad, I guess.

(Prepare for wall of text containing details to my current attempt to quit. This wall of text is here to help and perhaps inspire others in their own attempts to stop smoking, though.)

Anyways, I'm one of those people who's tried to quit a hundred times, and tried everything. I have a short fuse and my temper always got the best of me when without cigarettes. For some reason, I started listening to a British folk band, Mumford & Sons, lately (this is odd because I'm a metalhead and rarely listen to anything without distortion pedals :rock:) and realized it had a similar euphoric effect to cigarettes. So when I was feeling the stress, I'd go stand outside with my mp3 player and listen to a Mumford & Sons song. This helped with the sudden onset of mental withdrawal.

I had also spent a few months mentally preparing myself. I started to take note of when my clothes smelt like cigarettes, or when I could smell it on my hands while helping customers at work, things like that. I kept thinking about how awful my lung capacity is, how much money I'm throwing away, etc. The money thing was bolstered by keeping receipts and realizing every trip to the store for smokes almost always included a Coke and maybe some gum or a candy bar, so most packs basically cost about $18-20 instead of the $12 they normally were. All those things adding up, always in my head, started annoying me. Then they started to piss me off. Eventually smoking mattered less and less. Then one day, smoking the last cigarette in my pack whilst driving home, I passed the Mac's store. I thought "poo poo, I better grab some smokes!", but when I pulled up to the store, good ol' Mumford & Sons happened to shuffle in on the iPod (this is where I noticed the odd folk music effect) and I though "...gently caress it, I don't feel like it." and went home.

Now, normally I get pretty awful physical withdrawals as well as the normal temper issues. I feel extremely nauseated, my stomach hurts, etc. plus I become even more prone to mild anxiety attacks (with similar symptoms, so it's basically 24/7). That was my final obstacle. I went further to fix this than I normally would, and decided to mooch a bit of weed off of my roommate to see if it would help. NOTE: I'm not condoning or suggested using illegal, controlled substances, obviously.

I quit smoking weed years ago and really had no desire to go back, but goddamnit, it made the stomach problems go away, for usually about 24-36 hours after just a couple of bong hits (My guess is that it was mostly psychosomatic, but gently caress it, it worked!) . The issues went away almost completely after the first week (given my previous experience with weed I was confident that I wouldn't become dependent on it in lieu of nicotine.) so I stopped with the pot. And hey, just last night I was assisting on a photoshoot, and the photographer and model were smoking, and I went outside with them to discuss poo poo, and I felt fine. Not bothered at all, and even when I drove the model home I let her smoke in my car. It feels loving great to be doing well with this for once.

So hey, try latching on to something that would normally make no sense, like some folk music, maybe it will help you too! ...now I have to go buy a gym pass and get my rear end back in shape!

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
So, that was fun. I had some awesome stress last night in the form of an angry, eviction-threatening letter. For hours I could smell cigarette smoke that wasn't there, and I really, really, wanted one.

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
The recession ate my job (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I quit smoking to make my savings stretch and to smell good at job interviews. I don't know why, but I thought it was going to be a temporary thing. :downs: Then my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. So I'm more serious about it now.

I've been using the Commit lozenge. It's effective, but gross - you have to spit chalky goop all the time and I can't imagine using this replacement therapy while holding down a job.

Tomorrow will be two months since I've had a smoke. :toot:

Jows
May 8, 2002

Monthly check-in. Today will mark 3 months smoke free. I nearly strayed a couple weeks ago. I was nearly blackout drunk and I asked a friend for a couple drags off her cigarette. I think she told me no though. I don't remember. So I dunno.

I've saved enough from not smoking to pay like a month and a half of rent so far.
I'm thinking of putting my regained lung capacity to work and start running. I'm about 45 lbs and 7" waist size over where I want to be and it's time to lose it. The Couch to 5k program seems like a good start. Hell, maybe I'll even start swimming again (was once upon a time a small scholarship earning college swimmer).

Regardless, I feel a lot better all around. I'll probably check in in another month or so. Good luck to everyone trying to toss this horrible habit!

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black
I know it's been said, but exercise is about the best thing you can do for quitting tobacco. Feeling that your lungs are better is one thing, but actually using that new capacity is really awesome. I haven't bought a pack since July 6th now. I've had a few cigarettes since then at parties when I got drunk, but none sober. I think I finally have this addiction under control now.

If I can easily go 2-3 weeks without smoking and then have a cigarette when I get drunk, and then no more for another 2-3 weeks, does it mean that I've beat the chemical addiction? Because I've been doing that. I never intended on quitting fully but I just lost all desire after the first week of not smoking. It's only when I'm drunk that I seem to crave tobacco again.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Nedsmaster posted:

If I can easily go 2-3 weeks without smoking and then have a cigarette when I get drunk, and then no more for another 2-3 weeks, does it mean that I've beat the chemical addiction? Because I've been doing that. I never intended on quitting fully but I just lost all desire after the first week of not smoking. It's only when I'm drunk that I seem to crave tobacco again.

That could be dangerous. My brother quit multiple times for 6+ months, then he'd start drinking a few times a week. If you buy a pack and smoke half of it when you're drinking, and it's there staring at you when you wake up, you have probably officially started smoking again. So, be careful with that poo poo, son. If I was you I'd stop playing that particular roulette game.

crackers for dinner
Jun 18, 2008

Hellwuzzat posted:

That could be dangerous. My brother quit multiple times for 6+ months, then he'd start drinking a few times a week. If you buy a pack and smoke half of it when you're drinking, and it's there staring at you when you wake up, you have probably officially started smoking again. So, be careful with that poo poo, son. If I was you I'd stop playing that particular roulette game.

Listen to this man. I had quit for nearly four years and this is what brought me back. You get it in your mind that you can have the occasional cigarette, no matter the excuse; drinking, with friends that smoke, etc. Its very easy to go back to where you were.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Well Im calling it as over :) It's been 11 days since I've had a smoke and I barely even think about it anymore, in fact until I thought about this thread I hadn't even thought about smoking today. I've got through 4 hardcore drinking sessions and generally milled about with people smoking and never felt like busting.

Oh, and I'm up to about $180 saved :D

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
I am going to live and die wanting to smoke but I won't smoke because I've got this crazy hosed up idea that it's better for me to be completely goddamn miserable and live forever than to just do whatever the hell I want and die naturally like the rest of fatass America.

Just like not eating whatever the gently caress I want, however much I want, whenever I want, and the same goes for drinking and loving and whatever else on this planet is any good.

Why am I doing this to myself.

Why am I trying to fool myself like the rest of you nitwits that this is the better way?

Christ what the gently caress is wrong with all of you.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I smoked nearly a pack a day for five years or so and quit a little over two months ago (June 22nd). My experience has been a bit different than others in this thread, though...

Objectively speaking, I know I must have had some sort of chemical addiction to nicotine, but when I smoked I could easily go a day or two without smoking so long as I wasn't doing anything I associated with the habit. And from the first day I quit to today it's the same way; I'm only temped when I'm around people smoking. Day to day, I don't think about it at all for the most part.

I can't say I was too motivated to quit, either, and I think that's why most people can't break the habit--deep down, beneath all the "I wish I never started" bullshit, they don't want to. It doesn't matter what addiction you're talking about, people will take the short term benefits of whatever all the while thinking "I'll quit eventually; I got plenty of time!" yet never do. I enjoyed smoking and if I had a cigarette right now, I'd love every last drag. I think what got me to quit was thinking just that: "You're never going to want to quit, so just loving do it. You'll regret not doing so later on." Right now I mostly hate it, but I know that later on in life I'll be thankful I did it. That's really my only motivation.

Honestly, whatever works for people to quit smoking is a good thing, but I think it's a lot easier than people make it out to be. My advice from my own personal experience is this: set a date. You're not going to quit smoking on a whim, so set a date and set it well in advance--at least a month. If you're like me and deep down don't wanna quit, tell others about the date so maybe a bit of social pressure comes into play as well. When that day comes, you're going to give a lot more effort than if you did it on a whim.

Gio fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 5, 2010

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
I typed up a huge response and accidentally deleted the entire thing before saving or posting, but I'm repeating my response because I'm pretty passionate on the subject.

If you seriously plan on quitting I would really recommend nothing other than Allen Carr's book. Honestly, just suck it up and read it through. It's absolutely lovely writing. He constantly calls cigarette's 'the NASTY WEED' and weird quirky poo poo (WRITING IN CAPS A LOT!!) that makes him sound like a horrible spokesman. But seriously the guy smoked like 100 cigs a day and quit cold turkey one day so he kind of has the right to write a book about it.

I admit this was my logic: I need to quit cigarrette's, it's horrible for my health (I was always coughing). Maybe I should wait to quit until after next year, I hear this year of college is pretty hard from upperclassmen in my major. Maybe I should wait. Nah, gently caress it I need to quit and I'm going to keep giving myself these excuses.

I bought the book, and while reading it I was actually scared that it would work. In fact I kind of bought in on the premise that it wouldn't work (so I could at least say 'gently caress it, I tried' to myself). I soon realized that this way of thinking is testament to how loving addicting this poo poo is.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always had this self-conscious/anxiety associated with smoking cigarettes. It was subtle, sure but there. poo poo like going in an elevator after I've smoked (I don't want them to know!), or if I'm out with friends I don't want to be known as the smoker. Since I've quit, I've realized that this self-conscious feeling permeated to other aspects of my life...Not just smoking. I would go to the gym (believe it or not I did while smoking) and I would always be loving nervous. I just thought it was normal nervous because I'm a shrimp. It affected other situations too, like romantic/personal stuff. You're self-esteem is lowered. But ever since I've stopped smoking and have continued all of these other things I've noticed that all of these anxieties have disappeared. Cigarette's legitimately caused these things. You assume that health is the primary benefit of quitting, but it's only a side effect (at least for me it is).

I'm legitimately happier, I have much better self-esteem, I'm more confident, I feel sharper (I feel literally more intelligent), and yes all the other known quitting stuff is great. I don't wake up with a sore throat every day. My nose isn't congested 24/7 (it is when I'm around people smoking though). I'm a morning person now(with 10000% more energy).

The moral of the story is read Allen's lovely book. I get pissed cause one of my best friends has quit cold turkey without reading it, and every day he tells me how badly he craves cigarette's. He doesn't want to read Allen's book because he doesn't like to be told to read it or some poo poo. He'll read it if he wants to. Whatever. I told him that I'd rather be a conformist than a smoker.

Nedsmaster
Mar 9, 2006

smoke brown
black for black

TheMilkyNutBall posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I always had this self-conscious/anxiety associated with smoking cigarettes. It was subtle, sure but there. poo poo like going in an elevator after I've smoked (I don't want them to know!), or if I'm out with friends I don't want to be known as the smoker. Since I've quit, I've realized that this self-conscious feeling permeated to other aspects of my life...Not just smoking. I would go to the gym (believe it or not I did while smoking) and I would always be loving nervous. I just thought it was normal nervous because I'm a shrimp. It affected other situations too, like romantic/personal stuff. You're self-esteem is lowered. But ever since I've stopped smoking and have continued all of these other things I've noticed that all of these anxieties have disappeared. Cigarette's legitimately caused these things. You assume that health is the primary benefit of quitting, but it's only a side effect (at least for me it is).

I'm legitimately happier, I have much better self-esteem, I'm more confident, I feel sharper (I feel literally more intelligent), and yes all the other known quitting stuff is great. I don't wake up with a sore throat every day. My nose isn't congested 24/7 (it is when I'm around people smoking though). I'm a morning person now(with 10000% more energy).

This is true completely in my experience as well. I didn't really have anxiety about being a smoker since most of my friends were/are smokers too, but the anxiety is there. I used to get it around girls, because every time I was meeting a new girl I'd have to wonder if they could smell me. It's so ridiculous, no addiction is worth having to think if you SMELL BAD when you meet new people. I also used to get anxiety about the health risks. Every cigarette was good, but I also was extremely paranoid about my health and every time I smoked I would feel like "that cigarette was the one" that was gonna give me cancer. This mentality of thinking you're already hosed from the start, so you might as well keep smoking anyways, is what prevents so many from quitting and it's bullshit.

And yeah, Carr's book basically described exactly what we both just said...about how smokers believe cigarettes make them less stressed but in fact the stress levels of smokers are always higher than nonsmokers due to nicotine withdrawals. The only time smokers feel "normal" in their stress levels is while smoking, so they think it's relieving stress, but in reality they are just reaching the level of stress nonsmokers experience all the time.

Anyways, July 6th was my quit date, I smoked the last cig out of my pack since then. I've been using NRT since to ween myself off nicotine, and now that it's mid-September I no longer get cravings. Since I quit, I've probably had about 5 cigarettes in over 2 months in moments where I "fell off the bandwagon" - but I still like to consider myself a nonsmoker because I'm comparing that to half a pack or more a day, and again, if you tell yourself "oh well I already messed up and went back to smoking" then you'll never quit. On those nights where I got too drunk and had a cigarette, the best thing to do isn't to kick yourself and dwell on it and say "oh woe is me, I'll always be a smoker." Just say gently caress it, I messed up, tomorrow I won't smoke. It's as easy as that.

It's funny, when you think about this addiction. Quitting something should be the easiest thing to do because you don't have to lift a finger, but the chemical/psychological addiction makes you feel like it's so much more than that. All I can say is my lungs have never felt better, my chronic allergies have greatly decreased, and I am even regaining hearing in my right ear from when I had a bad infection due to bronchitis (from smoking, of course). I can't stress this enough - quitting cigarettes was the best thing I ever loving did.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

hammeredspace posted:

I am going to live and die wanting to smoke but I won't smoke because I've got this crazy hosed up idea that it's better for me to be completely goddamn miserable and live forever than to just do whatever the hell I want and die naturally like the rest of fatass America.

Just like not eating whatever the gently caress I want, however much I want, whenever I want, and the same goes for drinking and loving and whatever else on this planet is any good.

Why am I doing this to myself.

Why am I trying to fool myself like the rest of you nitwits that this is the better way?

Christ what the gently caress is wrong with all of you.

I just enjoyed a cigarette with a beer, cried because I can't quit, I really envy you guys staying smoke-free :smug:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Just checked, and it has been 13 months since I stopped smoking. Which is awesome. I thought it had been less than a year.

You can do it guys. The thing is, the moment you decide to stop, you don't smoke any more. Anything after that is you being sick because you used to smoke. It's not you wanting a cigarette - why would you want a cigarette when you decided to stop?

The other thing I would say is, don't try not to think about smoking. I thought about smoking a lot near the start, and if I had tried to block it I would have gone crazy. Now I can stand with people having a smoke and feel fine.

Stopping is the hardest thing you'll ever do. Everything after that is just not starting again.

(Also I can recommend Alan Carr's book - it's not a magic cureall, but it helped me get my head in the right place.)

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm back!

I posted in this thread a while back about quitting, and I did. The problem is I ran into probably the biggest hurdle. I was fine around my friends smoking as I wasn't around them all the time, which didn't matter because they were pretty cool about me quitting.

What got me back into smoking was going over to my fiancee's parent's house. We live in NC and they live in Pittsburgh PA. Her mom and brother smoke, but the problem is they smoke in their basement (Where we sleep) all the time, and it's about the only place in the house we stay at. It wouldn't have been so bad but we were there almost two weeks and it kind of kicked back in for me. I can't afford staying at a hotel. It's hard to get out of the house all the time, and I drat well can't ask them to smoke outside, it's not my house and it's not really my family (yet). What can I do to get over even the second hand nicotine intake that gets me back into smoking?

Burnin Yinky
Sep 11, 2010

"Oh, it's YOU that's causing my suffering! Then if I tear you to pieces, the pain will stop!"
:furcry:
It's been three weeks but the temptation is so hard to over come when I get stressed out over anything.

The first few days without it will break you :negative:

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Well, today had been day 1 of attempt 600. Wish me luck.

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010
today is day seven of both the end of my tobacco use, as well as my marijuana use.haven't ever tried taking a break from the daily smoking of either in over two years. the first few days were absolutely miserable, but it's getting to the point now to where i only have a craving for either whenever im bored. quit cold turkey, and this is my first attempt at quitting either ever. wish me luck gbs, it's going well so far, and i intend to keep it that way.

good luck to everyone else as well, it's hard, but not impossible.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Burnin Yinky posted:

The first few days without it will break you :negative:

I'm on day 10 now, after 20 years of a pack a day. Went cold turkey. The first few days where easy as pie because I used them to paint the walls and clean every single object in my apartment from nicotine. You just have to keep busy. I'm more afraid of six or eight weeks in, when the initial burst of motivation has run out.

I keep one those quitcounters running that tells me how much money I saved and how much longer I'll live (statistically, of course). I also calculated that I smoked around 150.000 cigarettes in my life and spent around 30.000 euros on it. Holy crap, what a loving waste.

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006
I can't say that I have quit smoking yet, but I'm definitely planning to try again... I just ordered that Alan Carr book, not expecting a miracle cure, but wanting to gain some more valuable quitting tools.

I've been smoking for 15 years or so, and have tried quitting numerous times, for up to 6 months at a time. But I have always caved in to stupidity. When my lungs have cleared and I'm feeling good, and the memory of the all the bad things about cigarettes somehow has disappeared, I have managed to start smoking again. Either caused by the notion that it will be just "this one time", or some perceived unique and stressful situation, which slowly but steady has led to full blown smoking.
Although I find the actual quitting to be tough but possible, the actual process of remaining cigarette free has alluded me. :negative:

And I am not capable of smoking sensibly. Its either +2 packs a day or nothing. I have successfully and temporarily quit smoking using Zyban, Chantix, nicotine - patch, gum, & nasal spray, and the electronic cigarette.
I know that my future attempt will not include any replacement nicotine delivery device, but will be either cold turkey or the nightmare and gas inducing Chantix.

I'm sorry if this reads as a Narcotics Anonymous E/N post from a dope-nodding heroin addict.
But I wonder if any goon might have some tips regarding my problem?

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010

something_clever posted:

I know that my future attempt will not include any replacement nicotine delivery device, but will be either cold turkey or the nightmare and gas inducing Chantix.

I'm sorry if this reads as a Narcotics Anonymous E/N post from a dope-nodding heroin addict.

well, the way my brother and i avoid the cravings or small desires that have been inducing us to smoke, is that everytime we want a cigarette, we do push ups. that, coupled with the thought of " imagine how lovely that would be if you were smoking" has led to the cravings being beaten. with that not being plausible for some people due to work environment etc, i would suggest learning a new portable hobby. i learned how to juggle for example, to help keep my mind off of cigarettes. anything in particular that you have always wanted to learn?

fyo
Mar 9, 2007
smugly conventional

something_clever posted:

I find when I start thinking it'd be nice to have "just one cigarette," it helps to think back about all the times throughout the day until then when I would have thought the same thing. Usually I realize pretty quickly that if I had a pack, I would've already smoked 10 cigarettes or something dumb by that point.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
As of today it has been 1 month with no cigarette!

I quit taking chantix because I started having crazy dreams and didn't like it. I also got an e-cigarette that has 0 nicotine in it which has helped immensly. I can go to a bar and get completely poo poo faced with 0 worry about relapsing with this thing. PLUS it has the added benefit that I am smoking cheesecake & vanilla flavors so bitches love my poo poo they all like o flyboi blow some more of that smog overe here I'M STARVIN FOR YO BAKED GOODS! :quagmire:

but no seriously, it isn't as offensive and totally rules.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I quit in February 2009 using the Alan Carr book. It worked great for me, except I would still chip in bars. I was happy (and sort of amazed) I could control the habit until I bought my first health insurance plan. The privilege of smoking is $48 a month for a single healthy male. Jiminy!

Since then, I haven't smoked. Cigarettes are assholes.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

bort posted:

I quit in February 2009 using the Alan Carr book. It worked great for me, except I would still chip in bars. I was happy (and sort of amazed) I could control the habit until I bought my first health insurance plan. The privilege of smoking is $48 a month for a single healthy male. Jiminy!

Since then, I haven't smoked. Cigarettes are assholes.
Yeah, a lot of insurance companies are making you actually pay for the privilege of causing yourself higher doctor bills and poo poo. My fiancee's insurance company just did that this year, it wasn't quite as steep, but something along $15 or so.

Actually paying for your bad habits? Why I'd never have thought of that.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I've been off tobacco for almost 3 weeks now using a nicotine inhaler ("electronic cigarette"), in my experience it really helps.

tsuki
Aug 30, 2005
Lipstick Apathy
I quit cold turkey back in April (before finals, ugh) after my husband said I smell like a construction worker. I was a giant bitch for a week, gained 5lbs, and had to throw away all the lighters. I also realized I smoked the most when I was on my cellphone or out drinking, so I forced myself to make all calls indoors and stop drinking.

It's worth the suffering, though! I can't believe I was okay with the smell and the price. Stay strong!

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Non-smoking as a former smoker who never really hated it all that much: I sleep better - far and away the biggest change. I'm happy there are fewer things in my pockets when I go out. Lighters become pretty useless. I don't appreciate it enough but I never run out of something at midnight I have to go out for. Still occasionally pangs of wonder at how good it can smell, but it's not something I miss even once a day anymore. The coping mantras in the Carr book really, really helped me (e.g. "Non-smokers don't want a cigarette right now", "You don't have to do that anymore", "This desire will pass, just ride it out")

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I have to say, within a couple of days it really hits home how much smoking stinks (by which I mean, smells awful). It's getting to the point where if I drive next to a spot where a lot of smokers usually get together I'm grossed out by the smell of it, even though I'm inside my car with the windows up.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I've had one today when I woke up. Was the last of the pack. So here comes journey #2, I think this time I'll plow through my fiancee's family's house and keep on not smoking.

I'm already getting cranky.

Doodlebug
Apr 23, 2007

imma doodlebug
Reading Allan Carr's book after 3 days of not smoking.

TERROR HITS ME IN AN AWESOME WAVE as he tells me it is imperative that I continue to smoke while I read his book.

Should I go buy a pack right now?

gently caress!

EDIT - ok ok ok only a couple paragraphs later he says "don't start it up if you've already quit"

Doodlebug fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 23, 2010

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

I've posted several times in this thread about wanting to quit smoking and making excuses or failing after a few days. This time I didn't want to post here until I knew I had some degree of success.

Been a pack a day smoker for the past 2-3 years, chain smoker and out of boredom. I didn't really want to quit before because I still liked/like the act of inhaling and exhaling. But forget this nonsense. It's too expensive, I'm really feeling the effects on my lungs, and most importantly it's affecting my dating life. That's right, apparently guys aren't too attracted to someone who constantly smells like an ashtray. The last 3 guys have mentioned their 'sensitive nose' and the smoke. I like dating guys more than I like smoking. So I made a decision.

It's been almost 4 days (like 92 hours) since I decided to quit Sunday night. For whatever reason this time it's going so much easier. I'm using the patch. I'm not getting the 3-5 day shakes/jittery feelings that I had before, and I don't know why. I went to a party last night with friends and didn't think about smoking once (I had a backup plan in case I felt tempted.) I'm thinking less about automatically grabbing for the pack when I get into my car. And I can smell it now on other smokers. Man that stale smoke smell is disgusting.

There was only one slip up. At work this one guy would bum smokes from me all the time and every once in a while buy me a pack. I work in an isolated area where I'm basically trapped for 8 hours a day underground. So I start work and notice that he had tossed a pack into my bucket that has all my supplies. I'm down there, unable to throw out the pack, trying to not think about it. I didn't have a lighter with me, so that was good. But after 8 hours of trying to not think about it, I light one up on the way home and one that evening. Decided that was really dumb so I gave the pack away to a friend and haven't smoked since. Not really feeling the urges either, which I don't understand. No complaints though. I really want to do this this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Schistosity posted:

There was only one slip up. At work this one guy would bum smokes from me all the time and every once in a while buy me a pack. I work in an isolated area where I'm basically trapped for 8 hours a day underground. So I start work and notice that he had tossed a pack into my bucket that has all my supplies. I'm down there, unable to throw out the pack, trying to not think about it. I didn't have a lighter with me, so that was good. But after 8 hours of trying to not think about it, I light one up on the way home and one that evening. Decided that was really dumb so I gave the pack away to a friend and haven't smoked since. Not really feeling the urges either, which I don't understand. No complaints though. I really want to do this this time.
Just a theory from some random person, but I think quitting time and time again, your body gets used to the withdrawls and it doesn't hit you quite as hard.

Good luck, I'm on day 3 now. I've quit smoking, gone from getting up at 8 am to 5 am, quit drinking as much sugar, and trying to eat less in general. I don't think my body knows what the gently caress is going on.

• Locked thread