Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, I think Koyaanisqatsi is practically confirmed, not sure about the sequels.

Reggio stated at a screening of Koyaanisqatsi that he was working with Criterion on a Blu-Ray release, but that was a pretty drat long time ago. I've always wanted to know what kind of work goes into a Criterion release. It'd be pretty cool to see a mini-documentary on the making of a Criterion disc; shooting interviews, how they do commentary tracks, various stages of art development, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
The OG Seven Samurai disc had a documentary about the restoration on it but it was removed pretty quickly after Toho (I think) objected. M sort of has something similar on it as well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The best MGM score would be the Woody Allen films, considering they own or have rights to all of his work from 1969-1991.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

The best MGM score would be the Woody Allen films, considering they own or have rights to all of his work from 1969-1991.

In theory, yes. But considering Allen's resistance towards special features I don't see the benefit.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

In theory, yes. But considering Allen's resistance towards special features I don't see the benefit.

Well, Annie Hall isn't even freaking anamorphic.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Criminal Minded posted:

Well, Annie Hall isn't even freaking anamorphic.

Not to mention the subtitle fuckup.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Bullets Over Broadway and Mighty Aphrodite aren't anamorphic either. And even Allen movies that are anamorphic tend to have awful transfers. Woody Allen movies would be a good fit for Criterion, especially as an Eclipse Series, with just some essays and no real special features.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Guillermo del Toro gets to live out my fantasy.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I wonder what it must of felt like just to wander through that room with all those great films knowing that something you made will soon be grouped with them? I envy him.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Now I know my new master plan: make a movie just to license to Criterion so I can look around their store room. :haw:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I mentioned this before, but they could simply be double-features with trailers and music-only tracks as extras. $25-30 for two remastered films, even with light extras, is affordable. None of his films seem to be that long and would fit nicely on a BD-50.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
So what's his beef with home video?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So what's his beef with home video?

Hear him attempt to explain it for himself about 10 minutes in. The whole thing is worth watching though. I think later on he talks about not wanting to revisit films which might be another reason. I'd buy a Criterion version of Hannah and her Sisters if they got Meeting WA as a supplement.

While it's true that some of the DVDs are in need of an upgrade, I'm sure Sony or Fox or whoever would do the films as much justice as Criterion. I dunno, I guess I just feel myself drifting into the "I wish Criterion would release more obscure stuff" category, though I don't begrudge them releasing more mainstream stuff if it helps support their other releases.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, I don't think Allen's films need Criterion releases. I wonder if he still feels that way, now that we're in a world where you have to live in a major city to have access to revival theaters and the only way for most people to see Annie Hall is on such a lovely DVD. It's such a shame, too, because so many of his films are really wonderfully shot (Interiors and Manhattan in particular).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, now they're just rubbing our faces in it

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Oh, like if you had that closet, you wouldn't do the same.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sheldrake posted:

Oh, like if you had that closet, you wouldn't do the same.

I'd bring a loving forklift.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

If I was invited in there I'd just take my arm out and knock every single title down into my cart giggling the entire time.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Safe Driver posted:

If I was invited in there I'd just take my arm out and knock every single title down into my cart giggling the entire time.

agreed... sounds like way too much fun.. like a kid in a candy store.
i cant wait for the next 50% off b&n sale in november.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone have a Criterion clear case to spare? I paid way too much for The Third Man blu only to have the case crushed on shipping (everything else is intact). I emailed Cri directly but don't feel like going all out and a 3 week wait for a replacement.

Edit: Gotta find a regular case edition of Chungking Express too. gently caress, I never realized how lovely the digipak releases are until I got one.

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 25, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Many moons ago Criterion indicated on their Facebook page that they'd be releasing David Fincher's The Game in the near future, but there hasn't been any word about it since then. David Prior on HTF seems to confirm that it should be coming soon though.

Also, speaking of Shinoda: Pale Flower

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Safe Driver posted:

It strikes me just how short these videos are. If that were me, I'd be in there for hours with a huge bag.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

ProfessorClumsy posted:

It strikes me just how short these videos are. If that were me, I'd be in there for hours with a huge bag.

I'm sure that film directors with money and a passion for cinema already own just about everything they want that Criterion has released already.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

The Game is pretty much confirmed now.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/274424/the-game#post_3730178

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Topper Harley posted:

I'm sure that film directors with money and a passion for cinema already own just about everything they want that Criterion has released already.
Yeah, that's what I really liked about the Guillermo del Toro video. He still had the kid in a candy store smile while saying that he'd already purchased most of them.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

The Lucas posted:

The Game is pretty much confirmed now.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/274424/the-game#post_3730178

I hate Michael Douglas but love The Game, it finding a home on Criterion is perfect, I can only imagine what crazy imagery from the film they'll throw on the cover.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some retard on another forum posted:

Anyway I'm pissed off with how the Thin Red Line cover looks, don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous coveart but here's the big problem. Okay i get how they want to be clever and include a thin red line but the fact they made it look like it was scanned from a magazine with a fold in the middle kills it. It looks cheap and kills everything about it. It's so bothersome for me.

I wanna slap the person who thought that it was a good idea to include the line. The Thin Red line is a metaphor, there is no reason to insert it and the add black shades making it look like a magazine scan. Ugh.

:laugh:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kinda think it looks stupid too, honestly

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Someone on criterionforum.org said it looks like they're storming a fat person's rear end and now it's kind of hard to see anything else, but what's really aggravating is all the blank space on the left.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The cover is perfect, and the inside is even better. Got mine earlier today and (after consulting with some a/v dorks to adjust my TV settings) the picture quality is gorgeous (obviously). I've only gone through some of the extras so far, but :monocle: on what I've seen. The only shortcoming for me is that the two essays weren't that good.

Overall, though, this is my favorite purchase in many years. Whoever at Criterion was responsible for this (and got Malick's approval) is my favorite person in the world.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 28, 2010

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Isn't there an onscreen message to the effect of "Director Terrence Malick suggests that this film be played loud" ?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Criterion has confirmed that Godard's Weekend is coming to DVD and BD, but probably not for at least a year.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Isn't there an onscreen message to the effect of "Director Terrence Malick suggests that this film be played loud" ?

Yeah. There are tabs in the menus, so when the "Play" menu comes out, it only says just that.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

Criterion has confirmed that Godard's Weekend is coming to DVD and BD, but probably not for at least a year.

Did they confirm it on their Facebook page where that douchebag keeps asking them for it every day?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

With how many things I want to buy in October, I probably won't be able to get everything right away, and if I have to pick one of the Criterion releases to get first it'll probably be this.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Criminal Minded posted:

With how many things I want to buy in October, I probably won't be able to get everything right away, and if I have to pick one of the Criterion releases to get first it'll probably be this.

Thank goodness for the B&N sale in November then! I know I have 5 or 6 titles I'll have to put off til the sale, but Hausu is definitely coming to me as soon as possible.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Criminal Minded posted:

It's seriously one of the greatest loving movies ever and I can't wait.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I almost want to buy Hausu twice, once on BR for me and once on DVD to lend to people. No one I know owns a BR player, and the idea of sharing Hausu is almost required.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Dammit, does anyone know why I can't get embedded images to show in these forums (using Firefox)? Somehow I've been too lazy to copy/paste this URL into IE to see what movie you guys are talking about, but this is getting ridiculous.

I basically need to stay out of this thread; I've had House on preorder ever since everyone here started gushing about it, but I know nothing about it. But I suppose even if I don't like it, it will look amazing; I've yet to see a Criterion blu that hasn't stunned me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brian Fellows posted:

Dammit, does anyone know why I can't get embedded images to show in these forums (using Firefox)? Somehow I've been too lazy to copy/paste this URL into IE to see what movie you guys are talking about, but this is getting ridiculous.

I basically need to stay out of this thread; I've had House on preorder ever since everyone here started gushing about it, but I know nothing about it. But I suppose even if I don't like it, it will look amazing; I've yet to see a Criterion blu that hasn't stunned me.

It will look amazing, but in a completely different way.

The image I posted earlier is here.