Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So they're going to watch 3 parts of a 4 part series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Dell_Zincht posted:

That episode of This is England '86 was really loving good, though I have a good dozen or so people on my Facebook news feed saying they're not watching it anymore because of the rape scene

Go to the facebook of the show, it's full of idiots like that choice quotes include "will give pedophiles ideas" and half of them want racist combo back, lots of people seem to have no problem with a two hour film with racism and the near murder of a black man by a racist nutter nor with the five sex scenes from the previous ep, but this was too far.

Someone called them out as in wanting "carry on skinhead", and it's clear a lot of them liked the film for the racism and aren't happy with what they're now getting.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
there are people who think that this is england is a comedy :psyduck:

That said, as horrific as the rape scene was, all the stuff with the "GINGE!!" bloke from the first episode was hilarious and I want him in every tv show.

"I'll count from thirteen."

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Adrianics posted:

"I'll count from thirteen."

"Why thirteen?" "Why not ten?"

ahahahahahahaha........

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Pretty much the only show which has portrayed pot in a realistic light is Spaced, I think. They just casually smoke joints and don't act like twats, unlike in virtually every other show ever made.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Spaced also ruled because it had an in-passing reference to doing loads of speed and the clubbing episode's heavily implied use of Ecstasy is fantastic

Dedicated This is England thread motherfuckers http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3345686

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Perfect Element posted:

Pretty much the only show which has portrayed pot in a realistic light is Spaced, I think. They just casually smoke joints and don't act like twats, unlike in virtually every other show ever made.
the one where Daisy goes to an interview when really stoned was actually quite a realistic depiction of what it can be like when you're high and paranoid and need to act normal

plus it was hilarious obviously

"did you say "girl power?"

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Daimo posted:

"Why thirteen?" "Why not ten?"

ahahahahahahaha........

:smug: "Hullo."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Paperhouse posted:

the one where Daisy goes to an interview when really stoned was actually quite a realistic depiction of what it can be like when you're high and paranoid and need to act normal

plus it was hilarious obviously

"did you say "girl power?"

"did you do this?" (holds up two fingers in V for Victory configuration)
"yes"
(bites fist)

I loved Spaced so, so much.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I watch Spaced and feel a little sad that Simon Pegg and Edgar are off making movies now. Channel 4 could really do with them coming back and doing a few more TV projects.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Another good Ramsay's Best Restaurant last night. Quite a shock after seeing him in US Hell's Kitchen last.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Anyone else watching Seven days?

I think its pretty crap but it's funny to watch the brunette playing up to the cameras and insisting on taking the blonde girl to a sex shop. Also, when has anyone seen a group of 'street' black guys talking about the economy?

Tasty Pi
Nov 5, 2005
Yum

Daimo posted:

Anyone else watching Seven days?

I missed the start, but I've been watching it for the past 30 minutes and it just seems to be people talking... about nothing we'd care about. Maybe I just don't get reality TV, or maybe there was something crucial at the very start of the show that explains why we should care about these people.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Tasty Pi posted:

I missed the start, but I've been watching it for the past 30 minutes and it just seems to be people talking... about nothing we'd care about. Maybe I just don't get reality TV, or maybe there was something crucial at the very start of the show that explains why we should care about these people.

No you're pretty much spot on. It turned into white noise after I posted that and then I started thinking about masterbating over nothing in particular.

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs
I knew I recognised Samantha the model bird on Seven Days from somewhere. She was on the first series of Make me a supermodel and was also in Hollyoaks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Rowley

It was something to watch and it didn't bore me as much as it probably should have done but then again I didn't have anything better to do. It was definitely a bit random. Especially that guy with the indoor pool in his basement and him and his 5 mates dancing in his living room. That was a bit odd.

lazyjane fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 23, 2010

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
You HAVE to watch the latest episode of Don't Tell The Bride on iPlayer. One of the most hilarious and depressing reality tv debacles I have ever seen. I'd explain exactly why, but I'd hate to ruin the multitude of surprises as one man sets about taking a machete to his life over 3 weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tp553/Dont_Tell_the_Bride_Series_4_Simon_and_Kaleigh/

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

She should've stuck to her guns and left him, he's a colossal selfish prick. I don't understand why she came round in the end.

If that was a film she'd have realized she'd actually loved his best friend, who knew her better than the groom did, all along. Then they'd get married in a stately manor.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Just started watching Don't Tell The Bride. 5 minutes in, and even I know the woman wouldn't like a Vegas wedding. This does not bode well.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Padje posted:

You HAVE to watch the latest episode of Don't Tell The Bride on iPlayer. One of the most hilarious and depressing reality tv debacles I have ever seen. I'd explain exactly why, but I'd hate to ruin the multitude of surprises as one man sets about taking a machete to his life over 3 weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tp553/Dont_Tell_the_Bride_Series_4_Simon_and_Kaleigh/

A load of my Facebook friends were going on about this and it sounds like an awful trainwreck, will have to check this out with my lunch today.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I'm not sure whether to blame him for being like he is, her for agreeing to sign up to the program, them both for obviously not having even the most tangential discussion about what they'd like as a wedding, or the programme makers for showing it.

The only people to come out of this with credit is the sister. The best man was doing alright until his phonecall in the airport, where he lost whatever points he had amassed by telling her it was not a nightmarish decision to marry the groom.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Akuma posted:

She should've stuck to her guns and left him, he's a colossal selfish prick. I don't understand why she came round in the end.

If that was a film she'd have realized she'd actually loved his best friend, who knew her better than the groom did, all along. Then they'd get married in a stately manor.

I loved the nihilism of it at first until they looked like the really were going to get married. They've been together since she was 18, and she's about to lose another good portion of her life to a terrible relationship.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Von Linus posted:

The only people to come out of this with credit is the sister. The best man was doing alright until his phonecall in the airport, where he lost whatever points he had amassed by telling her it was not a nightmarish decision to marry the groom.
Telling her that the groom cried over the wedding dress debacle was a pretty lovely move.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Akuma posted:

Telling her that the groom cried over the wedding dress debacle was a pretty lovely move.

He was on point up to that:

Vegas: Thats a bad idea

Dress: you should get the one she might like.- I THINK I KNOW MY OWN FIANCEE.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
And once again today we're reminded of why having two transmission centres for ITV's output leads to problems. A powercut in Leeds due to roadworks an hour or so ago knocked out every region handled by Technicolour's Northern Transmission Centre, with ad breaks not firing, local opt-outs for news not switching properly, and eventually the entire output was replaced with London's.

Back in the old days when each region ran their own transmission, this wouldn't have happened.

Obligatory "black screen better than usual output" comment.,

Pelican Street
Nov 5, 2009
I'm only 10 minutes in to that Don't Tell The Bride episode and I'm cringing already. The fact he just calmy wipes her brother off the guest list is pretty heartless. :(

E: what a trainwreck!

Pelican Street fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 23, 2010

lewi
Sep 3, 2006
King
Whats happening with Channel One/Virgin? They're showing Chuck and Leverage back to back - two of my favourite TV shows. And they just showed an advert for Nikita which they're picking up even though it's only just started showing in the US. Please say this channel will carry on existing...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lewi posted:

Whats happening with Channel One/Virgin? They're showing Chuck and Leverage back to back - two of my favourite TV shows. And they just showed an advert for Nikita which they're picking up even though it's only just started showing in the US. Please say this channel will carry on existing...

I'm so sorry.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I liked This Is England. I'd be more than happy if it was about the ridiculous biker boy gang, but having them just popping up from time to time is good as well. I thought the rape was quite well done, as tv rapes go. I watch This is England with my friends and they complain a lot about how nothing happens, but stuff does happen and it's more realistic than shameless or some other guff. I am interested in the way that the north is portrayed on tv as the only real examples I can think of that have come out recently have been red riding, shameless and this is england. 2 of those were set more than 20 years ago and all 3 deal with horrible shitbags. I don't really dig it. If you ever want a goodish analysis of the north Stuart Maconie wrote a book called Pies and Prejudice that is available in your local charity shop.

I am sick of the ads for seven days (as well as the general overuse of the xx in tv spots this year). With all the bullshit about choosing what the people do next I was hoping there would be some kind of voting system so one could make them quit their job or eat a full tub of butter but instead it's just like twitter or some bollocks.

phujck
Apr 24, 2010

I keep coming here out of some misplaced sense of history, but I don't /want/ to be here.

Padje posted:

That man is a war crime.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

justcola posted:

I liked This Is England. I'd be more than happy if it was about the ridiculous biker boy gang, but having them just popping up from time to time is good as well. I thought the rape was quite well done, as tv rapes go. I watch This is England with my friends and they complain a lot about how nothing happens, but stuff does happen and it's more realistic than shameless or some other guff. I am interested in the way that the north is portrayed on tv as the only real examples I can think of that have come out recently have been red riding, shameless and this is england. 2 of those were set more than 20 years ago and all 3 deal with horrible shitbags. I don't really dig it. If you ever want a goodish analysis of the north Stuart Maconie wrote a book called Pies and Prejudice that is available in your local charity shop.

We have a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345686

There's also debate as to whether it is set in the north or the midlands. Wiki mentions a northern town (though off the top of my head I can't recall if they ever mention the location in the film or series). It was filmed entirely in the midlands (Nottingham way) and is based on the childhood of Shane Meadows who lived in various midland towns, also the fact that everything he has ever made has been set in the midlands.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Some of it is filmed in Sheffield

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pelican Street posted:

I'm only 10 minutes in to that Don't Tell The Bride episode and I'm cringing already. The fact he just calmy wipes her brother off the guest list is pretty heartless. :(

E: what a trainwreck!

What a twat that man was. I was cringing the whole way through, but the bit that really got to me was when she was walking down the aisle and the room was completely empty save for four occupied chairs. It was just the saddest thing. Okay, running off to get married might be fun for some people, but clearly not for her and her family.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Competition posted:

We have a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345686

There's also debate as to whether it is set in the north or the midlands. Wiki mentions a northern town (though off the top of my head I can't recall if they ever mention the location in the film or series). It was filmed entirely in the midlands (Nottingham way) and is based on the childhood of Shane Meadows who lived in various midland towns, also the fact that everything he has ever made has been set in the midlands.

In the film they mention they're in Brighton.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 24, 2010

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
An idiot abroad is amazing, although the friend I was watching it with thought it had to he put on - "he must be a really clever comedian with a persona, right?"

But yeah, if you can watch it. Haven't laughed so much in ages.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

lewi posted:

The channel will be closing.
Nikita promos have always been for the show premiering on Living.
If you want to watch new Chuck and new Leverage then you should probably subscribe to Sky or VM.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

cloudchamber posted:

In the film they mention they're in Brighton.

I thought the film was set in Grimsby? They're on the coast, I think...

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!

Stumiester posted:

An idiot abroad is amazing, although the friend I was watching it with thought it had to he put on - "he must be a really clever comedian with a persona, right?"

I live in the town where Karl grew up and quite a few of my friends share a similar persona and opinions as him. Dunno if it's a trait of Sale-dwellers or a coincidence but I like to think its the former :)

MrBishi fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 24, 2010

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

slotbadger posted:

I thought the film was set in Grimsby? They're on the coast, I think...

I assumed it was northish yorkshire with woodys accent, but then combo sounds like he's from newcastle and lol sounds kind of leicster. maybe it's just meant to be a generic town, the title of the show is This is England after all.

I watched Don't Tell the Bride, it was terrible. Usually the groom manages to pull off something that the bride likes but that wedding just seemed like a holiday in vegas for balloon head. The only redeeming moment was when they were walking around the strip and they bump into those two fat guys drinking from glasses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/09/dont-tell-the-bride.shtml

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SeanBeansShako posted:

I watch Spaced and feel a little sad that Simon Pegg and Edgar are off making movies now. Channel 4 could really do with them coming back and doing a few more TV projects.

I rewatched Big Train a while ago and it's still amazing.

There's very few comedians that can make the transition to movies, I feel. It's usually the thing that kills off a career or severely hinders it. I think Pegg is the only one that's managed it successfuly so far.

e: British movies, that is.

When a British comedian goes to America to make movies it's a pretty sure sign that their career is dead here.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I feel like these Idiot Abroad episodes should be 3x longer. 40 minutes for Karl to breeze through China? They shouldve used that entire time on him eating toads.