Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Tesseraction posted:

Everything has bugs; we just talk about issues in case someone can help us out with them.

On that note, Opvard (a Q&A) told me that Windows 7 Jump Lists have been available since Opera 10.50, however I've never seen a single one (and personally lamented their lack even though I never use them). Anyone know why they aren't appearing? A glance through opera:config shows nothing.

It was added before 10.5 in one of the weeklies and then disabled by default before release because everyone hated it.
opera:config
Check:
Use Windows 7 Taskbar Thumbnails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexaemeron
Oct 19, 2003

Florence Henderson's hand-jobs have Wesonality!

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Several years and opera versions ago I installed an addon that placed a button on one of the toolbars in opera. It is listed here as Killbutton: http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons
Unfortunately, this stopped working with the last several versions of opera. Does anyone know of something similar or how to update the one I linked to so that it works with the current version of opera?

The button works for me in 10.61. I think I added it in late 8.x or early 9.x and it has persisted and functioned through upgrades. I also just tested it in my 10.7 beta client and it works.

Are you dragging it to the toolbar?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

It was added before 10.5 in one of the weeklies and then disabled by default before release because everyone hated it.
opera:config
Check:
Use Windows 7 Taskbar Thumbnails

You're the second person to mention this, but it's Jump Lists not Thumbnails. The Thumbnails pissed me off and I disabled them, and I tested to see if reactivating them solved the Jump List issue, but it didn't.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
drat, I was wondering what happened to the thumbnails. I love those things.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Is there a way to make the right-click -> search function open a new tab, rather than just loading google in the current tab?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Papercut posted:

Is there a way to make the right-click -> search function open a new tab, rather than just loading google in the current tab?

Hold shift when you click the menu item.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Papercut posted:

You can also set it to not reuse the tab in the preferences, then right-click will open in a new window (as will external links etc.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Hexaemeron posted:

The button works for me in 10.61. I think I added it in late 8.x or early 9.x and it has persisted and functioned through upgrades. I also just tested it in my 10.7 beta client and it works.

Are you dragging it to the toolbar?
For some odd reason...its working now. :iiam:
Opera 10.60 by the way. One other thing...spoilered text hasnt worked for me in opera for some time now, anyone else getting this behavior?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

kapalama posted:

You can also set it to not reuse the tab in the preferences, then right-click will open in a new window (as will external links etc.

That works well enough, thanks!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr. Clark2 posted:

For some odd reason...its working now. :iiam:
Opera 10.60 by the way. One other thing...spoilered text hasnt worked for me in opera for some time now, anyone else getting this behavior?

Are you using fit-to-width? Because for me at least, that causes spoiler text to be white on black all the time, not just when hovering over it.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

kapalama posted:

To really stretch things, is there a config option to make it open in a background tab? Sometimes I want to check on something, but as a later action.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Gorbash posted:

To really stretch things, is there a config option to make it open in a background tab? Sometimes I want to check on something, but as a later action.

In the opera settings go to content/ javascript options and make sure the allow raising option is selected.
Go to settings tool-bars and duplicate the menu setup.
Open %AppData%\Roaming\Opera\Opera\menustandard_menu (1).ini
Find [Hotclick Popup Menu] and replace the line "Item, MI_IDM_SELSEARCH="Hotclick search, 200,,, "Search Web""" with "Item, MI_IDM_SELSEARCH=Go to page, "java script:void(window.open( 'http://www.google.com/search?q=%t'));window.focus()"".

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I know this is a long shot (and the culmination of a long, desperate story), but is there any way at all to make Opera 8.5 work with the current Flash plugin short of doing a general system overhaul? My mind is telling me no... but my body is telling me yes...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I bit the bullet and updated one of my computers to the latest Opera, but now the open tab in background behavior has flipped around.

On 9.64 CMD+Shift+ click makes a new tab open in the background (I think I had to set it up to do that).

What do I need to change in the 10.61 setting to make it work that way again? (I did a straight upgrade over my install but something flipped from the way it used to be for some reason.)

TOggling the middle click options does not seem to change the behavior for some reason. It does if I do not use shift, but it does not seem to change behavior if I do use shift.

Eugenic
Apr 14, 2005
DRINK! FECK! ARSE! GIRLS!
Does anyone know how to get Opera to successfully use more memory? For almost a year it has been crashing due to insufficient memory when I have it using around 1.2 GBs of RAM. It usually builds up when I have a bunch of open YouTube tabs, but the problem is that about a year ago it used to allow a ton of memory to be used. This is consistent over the many systems I have used Opera on, even my Windows 7 64-Bit PC with 4GB of RAM will crash with just over a gigabyte of used opera memory. I set the memory options to maximum with 400MB cache and Automatic RAM handling.

Sometimes it will "flush" the active flash video content open, but will crash if you try to add more video content. This does not happen on Firefox or IE. Please tell me if there is a solution or if this is merely a new "feature" of Opera.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think I remember reading that "automatic" ram handling is a fixed proportion of your physical system memory, not "dynamically use as needed."

Eugenic
Apr 14, 2005
DRINK! FECK! ARSE! GIRLS!

Lakitu7 posted:

I think I remember reading that "automatic" ram handling is a fixed proportion of your physical system memory, not "dynamically use as needed."

So am I better of just setting it to 400MB instead of Auto?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Might be, depending on what the percent is. If you really want to be clever you could probably edit an ini file to set it to something higher than that. It'd probably work. Experiment and report back.

Medina
Jul 26, 2008
Any of you guys interested in taking over the [unofficial] OperaGroup on Steam?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
10.62 is up, as of the 9th. my autoupdate hasn't picked it up yet though.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

changelog: http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1062/

Opera posted:

Changes since Opera 10.61
User interface
Fixed
Selection jumps while backspacing in a rich text editor
Opera closing when searching on hotels.com
Not being able to click or select links or text
Opera freezing when leaving a canvas, audio, or JavaScript game
A missing plug-in dialog might cause Opera to close
Bodyless documents causing Opera to close in accessibility mode
Opera closing when downloading files in the link panel
Loading of streaming plug-ins in Opera Turbo
Display and scripting
Added
More MIME file types and suffixes for compressed tar files
Fixed
Fallback not displaying for Java types when plug-ins are disabled
Items disappearing from the cache
Mail, news, chat
Added
FastMail domains and hotmail.co.uk to the email auto-configuration
Fixed
Missing images in feed preview (media rss)
Security
Fixed
Fixed an issue where malicious DLL files could be unintentionally loaded and allowed to run arbitrary code; see our advisory.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Showing up for me in auto update now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hmmm, was already installed when I woke up this morning... which is strange because Opera isn't set to auto-update and I didn't get any update notices.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Has Opera stopped remembering visited links across sessions?

Because mine has :(

Now all links in Netvibes and Let's play archives show up as unvisited after restart. :emo:

Oh hey, it's actually a lovely implementation of a privacy feature! A malicious web site can use CSS to set a:link and a:visited so that they can check, using javascript, what sites you have been visiting and build a profile of your surfing habits.

http://dbaron.org/mozilla/visited-privacy

You know what has two thumbs and also is interested in what sites I have been visiting?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I just got a new tablet PC with multitouch. Is there any way to configure Opera to treat touch inputs as "pan," and pen gestures as "select text"? I haven't had to muck with Opera inputs much before....

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

bartkusa posted:

I just got a new tablet PC with multitouch. Is there any way to configure Opera to treat touch inputs as "pan," and pen gestures as "select text"? I haven't had to muck with Opera inputs much before....

I think you probably have to configure those in the OS. So if there is a way to make touch inputs as scrolling, I imagine those would work with Opera as well. Or ir you can configure the driver to handle touch inputs as "ctrl + alt + mouse" when using Opera, that could work as well.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

bartkusa posted:

It would probably be best to use Wheany's suggestion above, but there's a way to make Opera treat all "mouse drags" as panning. If you add a new toolbar button (right click -> Customize -> Appearance -> Buttons tab) it's under "Browser View", called Text Selection On/Off. You'd still have to press it in order to manually switch between the modes, though.

You could also set a keyboard shortcut or mouse gesture to:
code:
Disable Text Selection Mode | Enable Text Selection Mode
This will make it toggle between on and off.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Wheany posted:

"ctrl + alt + mouse" when using Opera, that could work as well.

NFX posted:

It would probably be best to use Wheany's suggestion above, but there's a way to make Opera treat all "mouse drags" as panning. If you add a new toolbar button (right click -> Customize -> Appearance -> Buttons tab) it's under "Browser View", called Text Selection On/Off. You'd still have to press it in order to manually switch between the modes, though.

You could also set a keyboard shortcut or mouse gesture to:
code:
Disable Text Selection Mode | Enable Text Selection Mode
This will make it toggle between on and off.

These are good ideas. I didn't even know there was a Text Select button now.

It's a shame there's no "inertia" when dragging, but this is still awesome. Thanks!

EDIT: Gesture-toggle works like a charm.

bartkusa fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 14, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Wheany posted:

Every time you post, I am filled with anticipation of when he will turn to look at me.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

I followed the directions in the OP, and I still can't get Opera to stop automatically scrolling to the next page in OS X. Is there another fix for this? I really love the side tabs and want to keep Opera as my main browser.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
So I use a variety of different adblocking solutions with Opera. I use Fanboy's List, a HOST file, and also I've tried using the adsweep userJS, however, when I browse the forums I have a giant whitespace between the links at the top (like User Control Panel and Private Message) and the actual forum stuff. Does anyone know a way where I can get rid of that annoying whitespace?

Thanks

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Startacus posted:

Does anyone know a way where I can get rid of that annoying whitespace?
Write a UserJS script that only triggers on these forums and rewrites the CSS for those parts.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Startacus posted:

Does anyone know a way where I can get rid of that annoying whitespace?

buy no ads

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Weird, didn't they add a different display for the mail panel a few snapshots back? The current snapshot (first one i installed in a while) doesn't have that. Also, anyone know a fix for the broken middle-mouse-panning?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It's really annoying that they don't always list known issues from previous builds if they aren't fixed yet.

The broken middle click scroll is annoying the hell out of me too and you can't do an in-place downgrade as far as I know. :(

Anyone know if I'm wrong? I hope I'm wrong.

Everything worked fine in 3486.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

EvilMoFo posted:

buy no ads

Does the no ads purchase get rid of all of the extra white space, or does it just remove the image?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Startacus posted:

Does the no ads purchase get rid of all of the extra white space, or does it just remove the image?
There is no more than one new line of white space that separates everything above the thread content. I do not remember where the ads are normally so I can not accurately tell you where there is no extra white space.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Yeah, I've had no ads for years now and it's great!

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax
Does anyone know if there is a way to "middle click" in menus, like the rightclick (when selecting text) and from the bookmarks button menu, to open a new tab? Having to shift click is pretty annoying.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GIMMEL posted:

Does anyone know if there is a way to "middle click" in menus, like the rightclick (when selecting text) and from the bookmarks button menu, to open a new tab? Having to shift click is pretty annoying.

There used to be, but it was broken in 10.60. I submitted a bug report back when 10.60 came out, and I suggest you do as well if you want to see the feature return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax

ColdPie posted:

There used to be, but it was broken in 10.60. I submitted a bug report back when 10.60 came out, and I suggest you do as well if you want to see the feature return.

Submitted :)