Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

General Gingersnap posted:

Eli Reed is pretty amazing, he is my photography professor too!

Jesus Christ I wish I had a Magnum photographer to teach my how to shoot photos. I had to learn from the interwebs instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have come across this page, but I just stumbled upon photographyserved and it's got some cool collections with a brief explanation of whatever series you click on by the creator.

Neat.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
First all digital issue of Vogue. I probably like this a lot more than most of you guys will, but it's interesting regardless of your model gender preference.

http://www.vhjipad1.com/

My favorite:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
it's so cool to see animated .gifs become artsy.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Noah Kalina made a cool one:

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think this is my favorite, I like the movement from one subject to another within the same frame, over and over. Its kind of hypnotic to me.

Fuzzy Cosmonaut
Jun 22, 2010

Civilekonom
Loving this poo poo, even though I usually hate fashion, fashion photography and vogue.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Fuzzy Cosmonaut posted:

Loving this poo poo, even though I usually hate fashion, fashion photography and vogue.

Why do you hate fashion and fashion photography?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Snowboard photographer Dave Lehl and his girlfriend shot a wedding :

http://applesandorangesphoto.wordpress.com/?ref=nf

Click here for the full 700x500 image.

Click here for the full 700x467 image.

Click here for the full 700x466 image.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

Why do you hate fashion and fashion photography?

Fashion photography can be pretty hit or miss to be fair.

I was flicking through the latest Elle UK and the cover editorial was pretty mediocre. What made it worse is they spent two pages talking about how epic it was and how much went into flying out to Kate Hudson's villa and they ruined designer gowns by having her dive into a pool with them.

The actual editorial was four awkwardly framed pictures of a barely identifiable kate hudson in what might as well be a puddle.

However when fashion photography is at its best it really is exceptional. Like this -

NSFW:
http://www.sassisamblog.com/2010/08/10/abbey-lee-kershaw-vogue-italia-august/

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

Fashion photography can be pretty hit or miss to be fair.

I was flicking through the latest Elle UK and the cover editorial was pretty mediocre. What made it worse is they spent two pages talking about how epic it was and how much went into flying out to Kate Hudson's villa and they ruined designer gowns by having her dive into a pool with them.

The actual editorial was four awkwardly framed pictures of a barely identifiable kate hudson in what might as well be a puddle.

However when fashion photography is at its best it really is exceptional. Like this -

NSFW:
http://www.sassisamblog.com/2010/08/10/abbey-lee-kershaw-vogue-italia-august/
lovely photography is lovely photography. The same can be said for landscape, portraiture, street and so on and so forth.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

lovely photography is lovely photography. The same can be said for landscape, portraiture, street and so on and so forth.

This is the truth :( - I guess I've just been noticing more lovely fashion photography because that's what I'm focused on.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

This is the truth :( - I guess I've just been noticing more lovely fashion photography because that's what I'm focused on.

Yeah since all I hang out with a lot of fashion photographers I tend to look at a bit more of it as well. I'm also a person that puts a lot of thought into my particular style and what I'm wearing so I am a bit biased.

Awesome fashion photographers. It's something of an obvious list but I am by no means a connoisseur.

Tim Walker

Peter Lindbergh

Rodney Smith

Richard Avedon

I'm a musician and a huge Dylan fan and this is one of the photos that got me interested in photography to being with. Hell it's a huge inspiration for me stylewise too. It hung above my bed for most of my high school days.

Scott Schuman (The Sartorialist)

Schuman is awesome because he goes against the idea of fashion being exclusive. He takes street photos of people that he finds to be dressed interesting. This includes people of all classes, colors and sizes. It's fashion egalitarianism.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 24, 2010

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Great list - for content

I may be a little biased but I think Lara Jade's recent work is getting right up there and I wouldn't be surprised to see her in some mainstream fashion magazines within a year.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 24, 2010

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ZoCrowes posted:

Peter Lindbergh

Oh wow, this is loving great.

No one too famous but I've been watching this guy on flickr who shoots a lot of asian city landscapes, but he uses 8x10 Ektachrome 100 and the results are just awesome.

Really these are just raw drum scans, but there's so much detail there I can just stare for hours.

Seoul #15 prescan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #91 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #62-#63 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Oh how I long to shoot 8x10 :sigh:

Also for fun download the full size and practice curve color correction in Photoshop ;)

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 25, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Oh wow, this is loving great.

No one too famous but I've been watching this guy on flickr who shoots a lot of asian city landscapes, but he uses 8x10 Ektachrome 100 and the results are just awesome.

Really these are just raw drum scans, but there's so much detail there I can just stare for hours.

Seoul #15 prescan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #91 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Hong Kong #62-#63 -drumscan by Thomas Birke, on Flickr

Oh how I long to shoot 8x10 :sigh:

Also for fun download the full size and practice curve color correction in Photoshop ;)

Yeah, I like his stuff as well. I had an 8x10 Toyo monorail I kind of bought on accident for a while, but lenses + film holders + film just didn't seem economical for me at the time, nor did lugging that thing around seem practical. I sold it to fund an NEX (which I've been using a ton), but I've got my eyes permanently peeled for a Gowland 8x10.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pompous Rhombus posted:

.... but I've got my eyes permanently peeled for a Gowland 8x10.

Yeah tell me about it. Is there any chance that someone else will pick up production of his camera's now that he's gone or will they just kind of fade into obscurity? A monorail camera that weighs less than 10 pounds is really not something that should stop being made.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I work in a metal fabricating shop. I'll make one if someone want's to help with the design. I've never seen a large format back in person. Everything about the camera looks really simple though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Yeah tell me about it. Is there any chance that someone else will pick up production of his camera's now that he's gone or will they just kind of fade into obscurity? A monorail camera that weighs less than 10 pounds is really not something that should stop being made.

I suppose it's up to his widow. I think I remember someone on LFF saying that towards the end of his life he was looking for someone interested in purchasing/taking over the business, but I don't think anything was finalized before he passed away.

TomR posted:

I work in a metal fabricating shop. I'll make one if someone want's to help with the design. I've never seen a large format back in person. Everything about the camera looks really simple though.

How much do you think it would run?

It's fairly basic in construction and the only really fiddly bit, the 8x10 back, can be purchased separately (same with a bellows). I've got the 4x5 version, which could serve as a good template/starting point. You'd also need a rack and pinion assembly for the focusing rail.

edit: Looking on his site, the 8x10 Lite (rather than the older 10x10 version) uses an 8x10 bellows and 8x10 back (probably custom), rather than the larger, more easy to rotate 10x10 backs and square 10x10 bellows like on my old Toyo. Dunno if a 10x10 Gowland would be worth it for me; at 9 pounds I'd probably pick up a wooden field camera instead :-\ You could try e-mailing and ask his widow if she has any spares for sale, although IIRC the new cameras went for about $1600.

Still, if someone else is interested in having you make one, I'd be happy to take as detailed pics as you want of the 4x5, and try to provide measurements.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The cost would depend on how many I make. There looks to be almost no material in the camera, so raw cost would be very low. I can have the standards and most of the other parts cut by laser, so if I make a pile of them it would be very cheap.

I just need to know where to get a bellows and I'm not sure about making a back, but if that's not too complicated it's doable as well. Send me as many detailed photos of the construction of everything and how the parts attach to each other.

I'll start a thread and we can get some brainstorming going on if there is enough interest.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I would buy one if this happens. Modify it slightly, and give it a cool name like "soulstealer markII" or "Sun Dog".

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TomR posted:

The cost would depend on how many I make. There looks to be almost no material in the camera, so raw cost would be very low. I can have the standards and most of the other parts cut by laser, so if I make a pile of them it would be very cheap.

I just need to know where to get a bellows and I'm not sure about making a back, but if that's not too complicated it's doable as well. Send me as many detailed photos of the construction of everything and how the parts attach to each other.

I'll start a thread and we can get some brainstorming going on if there is enough interest.

There's a company in the UK that does custom bellows (used to be one local to me in the US, but I think they closed up shop), although it's not cheap IIRC. Might be like $200-250 at least for 8x10, although if you were ordering more than one it might get cheaper. Not sure about the back either, although searching flickr for "gowland 8x10" I found one or two semi-good pictures of it.

Let's move it to the large/medium format thread for now.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Back to awesome photos, Michael Levin has some awesome B&W long exposures.

http://www.michaellevin.ca/MichaelLevin.html

Flash site, so no picture linking unfortunately.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
Stumbled upon Danny Santos today. He has some amazing street stuff and a good nice blog. Really worth checking out.

http://www.dannyst.com/

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

ZoCrowes posted:

Scott Schuman (The Sartorialist)

I dont know, I find his usage of homeless people exploitative

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

I dont know, I find his usage of homeless people exploitative

Huh? I can only think of very few instances of homeless people being featured on the blog. Hell, I've taken pictures of homeless people before and almost always throw them a few bucks for letting me take the shot. I don't think there's anything exploitative about it. Exploitation is a real issue of course however I think trying to call Schuman exploitative is reaching.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From today's APOD:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=65931

That's a pretty ridiculous shot.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

ZoCrowes posted:

Huh? I can only think of very few instances of homeless people being featured on the blog. Hell, I've taken pictures of homeless people before and almost always throw them a few bucks for letting me take the shot. I don't think there's anything exploitative about it. Exploitation is a real issue of course however I think trying to call Schuman exploitative is reaching.

I think presenting homeless people in a fashion blog that is all about personal style and personal clothing choice is a little off. My perosnal opinion, your snide 'huh?' is unnecessary and I dont think it is too reaching.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

My perosnal opinion, your snide 'huh?' is unnecessary and I dont think it is too reaching.

I don't think he was being snide, dude.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

McMadCow posted:

I don't think he was being snide, dude.

Apologies, misread the tone then!

I really enjoy looking through VII, a lot of really great photo stoires. James Nachtwey founded it, so the bar is set pretty high.

Donald Weber is a VII shooter, covered Russian police interrogations

http://www.viiphoto.com/showstory.php?nID=1180

General Gingersnap fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 29, 2010

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

I think presenting homeless people in a fashion blog that is all about personal style and personal clothing choice is a little off. My perosnal opinion, your snide 'huh?' is unnecessary and I dont think it is too reaching.

I wasn't being snide.

I'm an anthropologist so I tend to look at personal style and clothing choice a bit deeper. Homeless people have a culture. Everything that a person wears right down to their underwear is a cultural indicator. In many cases people on the fringes of society, such as the homeless, put even more thought into what they are wearing than someone at societies core. Because they have to work or search harder for clothing they tend to wear certain items longer and as such some of those items tend to take on symbolic significance. I actually find it a bit demeaning to say that just because a person is homeless they don't give a poo poo about what they look like. Sometimes like things like a pair of shoes can be an enormous point of personal pride.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 29, 2010

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

ZoCrowes posted:

I wasn't being snide.

I'm an anthropologist so I tend to look at personal style and clothing choice a bit deeper. Homeless people have a culture. Everything that a person wears right down to their underwear is a cultural indicator. In many cases people on the fringes of society, such as the homeless, put even more thought into what they are wearing than someone at societies core. Because they have to work or search harder for clothing they tend to wear certain items longer and as such some of those items tend to take on symbolic significance. I actually find it a bit demeaning to say that just because a person is homeless they don't give a poo poo what they look like.

Yes, homeless people have a culture. But presenting a member of that culture in a context saturated with $2,000 over-the-knee boots and $3000 suits is callous and a bit exploitative. Homeless people don't have the luxury of "searching harder" for clothing - in many cases they wear whatever they can get, and if you think that is a fashion statement then you are mistaken. I dont know, as someone who works in fashion, it rubs me the wrong way.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yes, homeless people have a culture. But presenting a member of that culture in a context saturated with $2,000 over-the-knee boots and $3000 suits is callous and a bit exploitative. Homeless people don't have the luxury of "searching harder" for clothing - in many cases they wear whatever they can get, and if you think that is a fashion statement then you are mistaken. I dont know, as someone who works in fashion, it rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe that's the point he's trying to carry. That at the end of the day a homeless person can present as much style as someone in 2000 dollar boots.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Paragon8 posted:

Maybe that's the point he's trying to carry. That at the end of the day a homeless person can present as much style as someone in 2000 dollar boots.

Exactly. I was going to write a paragraph about it but you summed it up in two sentences. I really like Schuman precisely because he is egalitarian. He steps outside the runway and traditional fashion houses to just depict people he finds interesting. Whether that person spent $10, $10,000 or found them at a shelter it does not matter.

Even people in the most destitute of circumstances try to put forward a face for the world.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

ZoCrowes posted:

Exactly. I was going to write a paragraph about it but you summed it up in two sentences. I really like Schuman precisely because he is egalitarian. He steps outside the runway and traditional fashion houses to just depict people he finds interesting. Whether that person spent $10, $10,000 or found them at a shelter it does not matter.

Even people in the most destitute of circumstances try to put forward a face for the world.

No, of course they do. It comes off a little like a vaguely condescending attempt at humanization. It seems like Schuman is more concerned with this man's (likely circumstantial) style instead of, I don't know, his basic needs or how long it's been since he's had a meal. If I were in his shoes I would feel like a parody.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you're saying & I'm not trying to argue. I'm just saying there is something about it that really upsets me :(

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

It seems like Schuman is more concerned with this man's (likely circumstantial) style instead of, I don't know, his basic needs or how long it's been since he's had a meal.
Well yeah, he's a photographer, not a chef.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

No, of course they do. It comes off a little like a vaguely condescending attempt at humanization. It seems like Schuman is more concerned with this man's (likely circumstantial) style instead of, I don't know, his basic needs or how long it's been since he's had a meal. If I were in his shoes I would feel like a parody.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you're saying & I'm not trying to argue. I'm just saying there is something about it that really upsets me :(

In many cases homeless people tend to like it when anybody even pays attention to them and treats them like a human being rather than just ignoring them outright or treating them as subhuman. Schuman tends to talk to his subjects and gets them to pose rather doing candid shots and probably gave the guy a few bucks. At least that's how I see it.

It can be argued that any kind of ethnography, war photography, disaster photography etc is exploitative. It's one of the major ethical dilemmas that a lot of social scientists and documentary photographers have to tackle. A lot of it boils down to the intent of the person doing the study or taking the photo. I don't think Schuman intended to be demeaning or exploitative.

I hope I don't come across as a jerkof or anything like that. The social sciences are one of my biggest interests so I tend to get fairly strident when talking about it.

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

FasterThanLight posted:

Well yeah, he's a photographer, not a chef.

oh ok

ZoCrowes posted:

In many cases homeless people tend to like it when anybody even pays attention to them and treats them like a human being rather than just ignoring them outright or treating them as subhuman. Schuman tends to talk to his subjects and gets them to pose rather doing candid shots and probably gave the guy a few bucks. At least that's how I see it.

It can be argued that any kind of ethnography, war photography, disaster photography etc is exploitative. It's one of the major ethical dilemmas that a lot of social scientists and documentary photographers have to tackle. A lot of it boils down to the intent of the person doing the study or taking the photo. I don't think Schuman intended to be demeaning or exploitative.

I hope I don't come across as a jerkof or anything like that. The social sciences are one of my biggest interests so I tend to get fairly strident when talking about it.

The difference is that a war photographer's, or any of the other kind you mentioned, (say Nachtwey) mission is to show the conflict to the outside world. Given literally every single other photo of his, I think it is safe to say that Schuman's mission is not to document the plight of the homeless. Im not saying he is a bad guy etc, thats just how I personally interpreted that one photo.

Alright, I am done hijacking the thread. Dont worry about coming across as a jerk, its a discussion, thats what happens with photography!

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/47471/never-seen-hells-angels-1965

my favorite from the set:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

oh ok

The difference is that a war photographer's, or any of the other kind you mentioned, (say Nachtwey) mission is to show the conflict to the outside world. Given literally every single other photo of his, I think it is safe to say that Schuman's mission is not to document the plight of the homeless. Im not saying he is a bad guy etc, thats just how I personally interpreted that one photo.

Alright, I am done hijacking the thread. Dont worry about coming across as a jerk, its a discussion, thats what happens with photography!

Sorry to continue the hijack, just wanted to follow up on a point. I feel that Schuman using homeless people in fashion photography gives them an identity beyond being homeless which makes him less exploitative than the huge amounts of photographers who do shoot the homeless purely because they're homeless.

• Locked thread