Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

sbyers77 posted:

I have a set of those snap ring pliers although they are "PIT BULL" brand, but I am sure they are made by the same manufacturer. They are absolute poo poo. The pot metal they are made out of easily bends out of shape and distorts when you apply pressure to the snap ring.

Sadly they still work the once a year I need them, but I'll be happy to replace them when they break.

I bought the Channel-Lock version for $20 and they've been kickass for EVERYTHING involving snap rings. The cheap ones weren't strong enough to remove the snap rings from a turbocharger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Looking to get a a new torque wrench, click style. Any recommendations for a quality one? I was looking at Snap-On but they website confuses me for some reason.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Brigdh posted:

Looking to get a a new torque wrench, click style. Any recommendations for a quality one? I was looking at Snap-On but they website confuses me for some reason.

Yeah they have a torque wrench for just about everything, should be able to sort through the ones on the website if you have a preference of torque range and drive size?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

warcake posted:

Yeah they have a torque wrench for just about everything, should be able to sort through the ones on the website if you have a preference of torque range and drive size?

Yeah, finally found what i was looking for.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Brigdh posted:

Proto Industrial.

You can source them from MSC Direct or Grainger.

You can get factory certified ones, they're MIL/Aerospace certified, and they're the only torque wrenches I've seen used in very high end applications.

If you don't mind waiting for a few days, they will give you one right off the line in GA and ship them to you with a certificate of certification right from that date.

Or you can get a standard certified one from the wholesalers.

They were either the same price or slightly cheaper then snap on. I got one new one and 2 others I picked up off of craigslist.

Most folks never heard of Proto so they assume it's some "off" brand, so you can get them really cheap if you look. I got a 200-600 ft/lb monster with a 3/4" drive for $100. Tested it out and it still calibrated after all these years.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I want to replace the awful wobbly 6ft workbench made of unbraced 2x4s that has been in my garage since I moved in. I know I could brace it up, or even start over and build something sturdy, but having some drawers and cabinets sounds like a nice idea.

Everything at Lowes or the Depot is tiny, like 3ft wide, and comes with a thin particle board work surface. Sam's seems like an odd place to look, but can anyone suggest something better than this?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1480010#desc

The drawers rolled all right, and the top seemed sturdy enough to bolt a vise to. Of course putting it together sounds like a nightmare.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I've heard good things about Tractor Supply's in-house brand's ("Masterhand") tool cabinets. From what I understand they buy cabinets from the same supplier that builds them for Craftsman, so you basically end up getting a Craftsman cabinet for considerably less. Example;

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00913252000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13 52" 14 drawer Craftsman for $950 from Sears (supposedly on sale from a normal price of $1130.)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/tool-storage/tool-boxes-cabinets/masterhand-reg-52-in-14-drawer-tool-cabinet-black-4047703 same thing from TSC for $700.

Not sure what your budget is, but somehow I doubt a 72" cabinet (like the one you linked at Sam's) for $400 is going to be built well.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Geoj posted:

I've heard good things about Tractor Supply's in-house brand's ("Masterhand") tool cabinets. From what I understand they buy cabinets from the same supplier that builds them for Craftsman

Craftsman's tool chests are built by Waterloo Industries. From what I have heard they also build every other brand's tool chests, including high end brands like Snap-on, but I can't confirm this.

They sell their own tool chests under the Waterloo name, and I think you can order directly from them, but their website is down so I am not sure (they do have a catalog though). Their media site is still up and showcases a lot of familiar looking tool chests.

quote:

The drawers rolled all right, and the top seemed sturdy enough to bolt a vise to. Of course putting it together sounds like a nightmare.
Was the work surface secured to anything? I'm not sure I would want a vise on a cart.

Also never trust the drawer slides until you have tested them with a lot of weight inside.

Ericadia fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 11, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I just saw Harbor Freight has some nice workbenches on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/work-station-42606.html?utm_source=C_shop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3610C

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-capacity-industrial-workbench-94309.html?utm_source=C_shop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3610C

http://www.harborfreight.com/two-drawer-industrial-steel-workbench-92114.html?utm_source=C_shop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3610C

http://www.harborfreight.com/wood-top-workbench-6843.html?utm_source=C_shop&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3610C

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I've got a question about paint guns:

Are the cheapo all-in-one HVLP systems that you see popping up any good for infrequent DIY spraypainting? Like this one, for instance.

I'd love to buy an actual compressor/paint gun, but don't really have the space to store one of the proper size for spraypainting.

edit for clarification.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 12, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Anyone know where I can get a cheap metric M12-1.75 tap in stores? Harbor Freight has one in a big 60 tap kit, but I just need this one to clean out the rust from some nuts.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
See if you have a Grainger, McMasterCarr or MSC local to you using their websites.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone know where I can get a cheap metric M12-1.75 tap in stores? Harbor Freight has one in a big 60 tap kit, but I just need this one to clean out the rust from some nuts.

If you have a True Value nearby the stock # is 789422. Master Mechanic, 12MM - 1.75 Plug Type Metric Tap, Carded. Suggested retail is about $4.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Found this on craigslist last week and took 'er home:

1958 Brunner compressor with 1.5 HP GE motor*. It hadn't been run in about 3 years according to the lady I bought it from. I changed the compressor oil, lubed up the motor bearings, applied 220v, and it fired right up smooth and quiet and filled the 80 gallon tank to 180 psi in under 10 minutes.

Some of the air fittings leak a bit and the check valve isn't working, so I'll have to disassemble it a bit to clean and seal 'em up. I've got the plumbing supplies and filter-regulator-lubricator on order - this'll be a great addition to the garage shop when it's all set up.

* no-fooling continuous output power rating, not the BS that compressors are marketed with today.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Old compressors are the best compressors. Brunner was a huge name way back when. Most modern compressors are based off designs they pioneered. They were bought out by dunham-bush in the 50's, another huge name in compressors.

That doesn't look like an 80 gallon tank, and you're a far braver man than I for taking it up to 180psi. :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SlapActionJackson posted:

Found this on craigslist last week and took 'er home:

The compressor pulley is begging to be painted like a daisy.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

meatpimp posted:

The compressor pulley is begging to be painted like a daisy.

That design is awesome. Doubles as a cooling fan.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

oxbrain posted:

That doesn't look like an 80 gallon tank, and you're a far braver man than I for taking it up to 180psi. :ohdear:

The tank is stamped with 80 gallons on the info plate. The weld seam is about halfway down the tank to give you an idea of size.

I actually adjusted the air switch down a bit to hit the 180 cutoff. I think it had been set at the 200 psi max working pressure before.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have a cheapo walmart power inverter that's close to 10 years old and has actually been real good to me. It's got a problem now and I want to ask about it, it seems like a "tool" of sorts, not worthy of its own thread and I know you all will know.

The 12v input power lugs are held into the metal chassis by plastic snap-in housings. (kind of like a keystone snapin for wallplates) The plastic housing for the negative has gotten smashed. It still works. That metal negative lug now physically contacts the painted metal chassis directly.

It's not making electrical contact, paint's still there, I scraped paint off another part of the chassis to use a meter to test, no continuity between the chassis and negative but this also means there is no normal chassis ground either. If some of that paint by the lug wears down and a chassis ground is created on the case of this thing is it going to be ok until I fix it properly? (I cant do without my inverter, need laptop on road for work)

I do want to replace both the positive and neg 12v input lugs with some kind of connector sometime. (and put the corresponding connector part on the cigarette lighter cable and the alligator cables.) What kind of molexish type connector would be good for 12vdc 40 amp?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 14, 2010

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

RealKyleH posted:

See if you have a Grainger, McMasterCarr or MSC local to you using their websites.

Great suggestion, I have a Grainger nearby and this looks perfect for me: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WESTWARD-Hand-Tap-2LXP6?Pid=search

edit: Oops it looks like one of the cheap HF tap sets does have a M12-1.75 tap too--I think I'll go for that since I need a tap wrench anyways.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 14, 2010

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

mod sassinator posted:

edit: Oops it looks like one of the cheap HF tap sets does have a M12-1.75 tap too--I think I'll go for that since I need a tap wrench anyways.

Don't buy HF taps or dies. They are too soft and the pack I bought were way off sized. They're just a complete waste of money and you'll wind up buying a tap elsewhere to fix the problem anyway.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After 4 years of dicking around at my old shop, within 2 days of transferring to my new location they wanted me to bring my rollaway and cart! :neckbeard: I finally have a spot to call my own, not keeping all my poo poo in the back room of my house under a tarp. Now I might actually get to use them for the reason I bought them all.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

Have you seen this camwhore before?

Geoj posted:

^
I've heard good things about Tractor Supply's in-house brand's ("Masterhand") tool cabinets. From what I understand they buy cabinets from the same supplier that builds them for Craftsman, so you basically end up getting a Craftsman cabinet for considerably less. Example;

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00913252000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13 52" 14 drawer Craftsman for $950 from Sears (supposedly on sale from a normal price of $1130.)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/tool-storage/tool-boxes-cabinets/masterhand-reg-52-in-14-drawer-tool-cabinet-black-4047703 same thing from TSC for $700.

Not sure what your budget is, but somehow I doubt a 72" cabinet (like the one you linked at Sam's) for $400 is going to be built well.

I would go with a Clarke chest way before the Masterhand or Craftsman. I havent seen any of the more expensive Craftsman boxes in person but the cheaper ones are poo poo. I looked at a Masterhand and it looked okay, but the Clarke's drawers and slides seemed much more durable.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

After 4 years of dicking around at my old shop, within 2 days of transferring to my new location they wanted me to bring my rollaway and cart! :neckbeard: I finally have a spot to call my own, not keeping all my poo poo in the back room of my house under a tarp. Now I might actually get to use them for the reason I bought them all.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Nice Imperial Eagle.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I put that thing on when I bought the box drat near 7 years ago, back when I was still actually playing the game. Havent touched a brush or a figure in years. Still recite my Catechisms nightly and make no excuses, for He Sees All :colbert:

Thought for the Day:
Hatred is the Tool that solves all problems

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Hi guys, I just got a drill press for 5 bucks!

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I also made a quick nut for the old quill stop you can see on the right of the spindle. Moving those nuts all the way up and back down takes forever so I made this nut with most of the threads milled away and a spring behind it so you can slide it up and down quickly and still turn it like a normal nut for fine adjustments.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I still need to make a quick clamp that attaches to the column for it. We have one on a drill press at work I'm going to copy. Also, I can't get the drat footswitch to work, keeps tripping a breaker or not working, so I have it hooked up to a light switch. I may buy a Harbor Freight footswitch this weekend.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Geared Hub posted:

I was eyeing the Torin/ Big Red 3-ton SUV jack, its around 45 lbs, and has a removable crown on the lift so you can remove it for lower profile vehicles. I need something that one person can haul off a humvee and lift it if needed. Something better than the oem control arm scissor jacks.

Geared Hub, what was your thoughts on that jack?

The one I've had for years is not cutting the mustard coming from a F-body to a FS truck. What is the consensus on a compact-SUV/FS truck jack that needs 18-24" lift?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Nevermind. That was easy. There's a HF 20% coupon in this months PopSci and the back side is also an ad, so no harm in sliding it from the library.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 20, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Cheap Bourbon posted:

Geared Hub, what was your thoughts on that jack?

The one I've had for years is not cutting the mustard coming from a F-body to a FS truck. What is the consensus on a compact-SUV/FS truck jack that needs 18-24" lift?

Crap, I took it back, it looks like a slightly modified 2 ton car jack with a 5 inch extension neck that goes below the saddle.

It's pretty unstable if you have to jack up anything that can shift weight, ie. an axle or control arm, I didn't trust it an returned it.

I wound up getting a "hi range" / tractor bottle jack from US Jack that can lift about 25" or so.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Geared Hub posted:

Crap, I took it back, it looks like a slightly modified 2 ton car jack with a 5 inch extension neck that goes below the saddle.

It's pretty unstable if you have to jack up anything that can shift weight, ie. an axle or control arm, I didn't trust it an returned it.

I wound up getting a "hi range" / tractor bottle jack from US Jack that can lift about 25" or so.

Which model did you get? They list 51011-51013 for different capacities. I'm thinking I would be OK with the 51011, but wouldn't mind the 51012 or 13. Did you find a retailer or did you order online? Any tips on retailers/etail?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I got the D-51013 for around $150.

It's expensive for a bottle jack but it's well built.

I purchased it off jackxchange.com they stock many different floor/service and bottle jacks of all sorts of brands.

The US Jack is one of the few that have a high lift / farm model. It's unsuitable for cars but for big rigs, big trucks/etc it's great.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
So I'm looking into the cost of possibly buying a basic powder coating kit to do some occasional coating that doesn't have to be pristine. Well I'd LIKE it to be but I'm not stupid enough to think I'll be able to do it. I'm looking at this kit from harbor freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html

I was also looking at this setup but it doesn't list what sort of PSI levels I need for it: http://powderbuythepound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=2083

Specifically I would need to apply a 2-3mil coat on some chrome.I know nothing about this and have only the basic tools currently as most of mine were stolen.

Will any compressor with a regulator be proper for this job or will I need a specific compressor capable of that low of PSI? Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. I figure a good compressor will be worth the investment because I'll use it all the time for other things and eventually get impact tools.

Edit: Hmm, I also found this electric one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-01-06100/

I was intrigued by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lc5Ay7RZ2M where it seemed to be very good at measuring out small amounts of powder vs. the other cheap guns.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 22, 2010

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

I found this pretty interesting. Judging by the 80s audio-track, it makes me think these have been around for awhile, but I've never come across any.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Wow, that's a neat trick.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

This british mechanic has one neat trick for fastening bolts! Click here to find out!

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Bob Log posted:

Will any compressor with a regulator be proper for this job or will I need a specific compressor capable of that low of PSI? Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. I figure a good compressor will be worth the investment because I'll use it all the time for other things and eventually get impact tools.

Most regulators can screw down to 0 psi and IIRC powder guns use almost no cfm, so a tiny little compressor is plenty.

If you're looking to run real tools you'll need to spend some cash. Grinders and sanders can suck down 15-20cfm@90psi, and you'll want to either match that or at least come close, or else you'll be stopping every couple minutes. A big impact gun can use 20-30cfm, but it's not constantly running, so generally you can get away with just a big tank.

oxbrain posted:

Shop/garage compressor buying guide.

1. Don't buy an oilless compressor. I put this first because it's really that important. They are worse than oiled compressors in every way that matters. An oiled compressor will outlast an oilless many times over, run quieter, use less electricity, and put less heat(condensation) into your air.

2. Shop tools use a LOT of air. Look up the cfm(AT LOAD) of tools you expect to use and size your tank/compressor based on that. As a general rule you want a compressor capable of at least half the cfm of your tools, more for tools that see extended use like grinders.

3. Don't focus on HP ratings, instead compare based on cfm@90psi. An inefficient 5HP compressor can be worse than an efficient 2HP compressor. The only thing HP is good for is to determine power usage.

4. Upright tanks drain better and take up less space, but have to be bolted down or strapped to a wall. A big tank filled with high pressure air is basically a bomb, if you can't secure a stand-up then don't get one.

5. If you can, run hard lines. They help dry the air, cut down on long air lines to trip over or sever, increase your effective tank capacity, and make you look like a pro. Black iron pipe is dirt cheap, easy to assemble, and very durable. Copper is better, but more complex and can be dangerous. Don't even think about using PVC.

6. The best bang for the buck is 60 gallons. At that size they are intended for shop use, almost always oiled, and capable of at least 10cfm@90psi. It's a common enough size you can find them used for $300-400 in decent enough shape. Larger than 60 gallons and the cost goes up faster than performance, under 60 gallons is generally poo poo.

7. When buying used, the drain valve is usually a good indicator of how well the unit was maintained and what condition the inside of the tank is in. If it's rusted shut, halve your offer. If you hear sloshing inside the tank, run away it's not worth the risk.

8. Name brands are good because you can find replacement parts easily. Don't rule out off-brands though, they're generally made by the same companies and often use the exact same parts.

My current, "if I had to buy a new workshop compressor tomorrow" compressor, http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/172993.htm.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just discovered that when the cutting discs for my 9" angle grinder are worn down too small to use, they fit perfectly on my 4.5" grinder instead. Excellent!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Where the hell do you find a 9" angle grinder? That's loving gigantic.

Biggest I've ever seen was a 7 or a 7.5 or something.

brendaneph
Apr 14, 2003

Jared592 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I

I found this pretty interesting. Judging by the 80s audio-track, it makes me think these have been around for awhile, but I've never come across any.

There are hand tightened fasteners in the avionic bays of F-18s that use those. You can loosen them an tighten them easily, but they will never come loose on their own. They're a huge time saver when changing a box out on the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

brendaneph posted:

There are hand tightened fasteners in the avionic bays of F-18s that use those. You can loosen them an tighten them easily, but they will never come loose on their own. They're a huge time saver when changing a box out on the run.

H1's and Humvees use these on the half shafts. I figured I'd see used more often on automotive applications but there isn't too many full IS vehicles that use inboard brakes.

A half shaft bolt backing out on a H1/HMMWV would be problematic. The bolts not only hold the shaft to the differential but also the brake rotor. Any bolt backing out will interfere with the calipers. They ship from the factory with Nord Lock washers.

I keep a bag of them around when I do brake work and have to swap out a shaft.

You can ask for free samples from Nordlock but I think they limit the free samples to businesses due to abuse.