Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Orgophlax posted:

So I've had Dead Rising since it first came out, but never really played it except to gently caress around.

I've decided to try and do what I can with it, but I noticed that I had gotten the Carjacker achievement long ago. Now I apparently didn't complete that game I got it in, so of course I didn't unlock the prisoner costume. If I hijack the convict's jeep again and complete the game this time, will it unlock even though the achievement is already gotten?

Yes. The save tracks achievements separately from your gamer profile. When you hijack the jeep, you should see a news-style crawl across the bottom of your screen announcing you've earned the achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Thanks. Another question: What's the easiest way to save while working on Zombie Genocide? There's no way I'd be able to do it in one sitting. Should/can I get the maintanence key before starting so I can go up the one stairs in the tunnels to get back inside, or do I just have to avoid the convicts and get back in from the park?

EDIT: Thank you!

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 22, 2010

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

Thanks. Another question: What's the easiest way to save while working on Zombie Genocide? There's no way I'd be able to do it in one sitting. Should/can I get the maintanence key before starting so I can go up the one stairs in the tunnels to get back inside, or do I just have to avoid the convicts and get back in from the park?

Grab the key in the warehouse in the middle of the underground tunnels. Enter Paradise Plaza via the stairs on the far right, where you get the white car. The door brings you right near the bathrooms. Then you can just go back inside and hop in the freshly respawned white car.

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
Just got Megaman 9 for the PS3, the only other game ive played is 10 and that was on easy mode so im having a lot of trouble. Any tips on which stage i should begin with or anything general that could stop me being terrible

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Kid Moe posted:

Just got Megaman 9 for the PS3, the only other game ive played is 10 and that was on easy mode so im having a lot of trouble. Any tips on which stage i should begin with or anything general that could stop me being terrible

Splash Woman.

Her stage is relatively easy, has at least one easy to get 1-up, and she's the only Robot Master that takes double damage from your normal mega buster. Alternatively, go with Galaxy Man, since he is also really easy to defeat with the megabuster (but doesn't take double damage from it), and you can use his weapon on Jewel Man, who has one of the best weapons in the game.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

Capsaicin posted:

Splash Woman.

Her stage is relatively easy, has at least one easy to get 1-up, and she's the only Robot Master that takes double damage from your normal mega buster. Alternatively, go with Galaxy Man, since he is also really easy to defeat with the megabuster (but doesn't take double damage from it), and you can use his weapon on Jewel Man, who has one of the best weapons in the game.

Plus, the Black Hole Bomb (Galaxy Man's weapon) is really useful as well, as it sucks up enemies and projectiles.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
I tried playing Sins of a Solar Empire, and I have no goddamn idea what I'm doing. Any advice would be wonderful.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
How is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 on the ps2. I know its crap compared to the 360/ps3 version, but how does it compare to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 on the ps2?

I really liked that game (x-men Legend and x-men legend 2 too) and just wanted to play more of that but I don't have a 360/ps3.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Going to request more information on King's Bounty. I downloaded the demo and... really, no tutorial? First combat I enter takes roughly 20 minutes?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PJStelford posted:

Going to request more information on King's Bounty. I downloaded the demo and... really, no tutorial? First combat I enter takes roughly 20 minutes?

What class are you playing? The warrior and paladin are the hardest starting out because they have no magic but the paladin gains ridiculous amounts of leadership and his army becomes stupidly huge.

The game's combat is about exploiting your weaker units. The enemy will always go after weak guys followed by archers. You can pretty much kite the enemy troops by boxing enemy units in with weak units while archers pick them off. Later you get awesome units with special powers like the beholders with their mind control.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PJStelford posted:

The tutorial is right at the start of The Legend's demo. The AP demo expects you to know what you are doing already.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
What about Europa Universalis 3? It looks really daunting even though I've played Hearts of Iron 2 years ago (don't remember much, but I'm sur eit'll come back to me)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

PJStelford posted:

Set Combat Animation speed to Fast in the options menu. It's a dropdown that's stuffed between technical video options, so it's easy to miss.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Well Darksiders for PC came out today and I went and bought it because I've been waiting for it for a while. Anyone got some tips for it?? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
From the little bit of Darksiders I've played, each open area has a number of items you can destroy to release a hidden chest. In the first open area, where you first find the shopkeeper guy, these items are the fire hydrants.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The tutorial is right at the start of The Legend's demo. The AP demo expects you to know what you are doing already.

Ah, thank you. Thought that since I couldn't find The Legend's demo on Steam that AP was the first one. Time to go looking!

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What about Europa Universalis 3? It looks really daunting even though I've played Hearts of Iron 2 years ago (don't remember much, but I'm sur eit'll come back to me)

You'll want the expansions, they aren't necessary, but the game's pretty boring without them. You may also want to check out the Paradox thread. What you remember from HoI2 should cover everything important though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Well Darksiders for PC came out today and I went and bought it because I've been waiting for it for a while. Anyone got some tips for it?? I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting.

Tiamat the first boss is hard as gently caress but dont give up, the game's difficulty drops significantly after.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any tips on Culdcept Saga?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips on Culdcept Saga?

Prepare to rage. A lot.

You can grind out cards in custom matches if you'd like.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I plan to make my main character strength-based in Digital Devil Saga, but I'm torn between choosing the physical Mantra path and the hunt path. Any tips?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Anything for Sacred 2?

This thread moves fast as hell. I'll try to go through these pages backwards to check if someone didn't post something a page or 2 ago.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just bought the following and need some tips, non spoilers please:

Assassin's Creed 2
Anno 1404 (I've played the other games earlier)
Fuel

Also some tips on how to not get owned in all Company of Heroes games would be good. I totally suck at the game.

All on PC

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Ok, so I took your advice and bought Civ IV. Any tips?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Skilleddk posted:

I just bought the following and need some tips, non spoilers please:
Anno 1404 (I've played the other games earlier)

Noiras have a bug that means that their effect stacks, so where one field would normally provide 25% efficiency with one noira, with 2 it does 50%. This can be abused very easily, and is a great way to save on space when farming. And yes, they work on both oriental and occidental buildings.

After a while you might want to turn off voices, since after the hundredth time that HASSAN BEN SAHID BURNS A HOLE IN YOUR WALLET it tends to get annoying.

Oriental warehouses/ships are generally better than their occidental counterparts. They tend to hold more, cost less in upkeep and are faster. If you have the Venice expansion, Venetian ships are also fairly decent, but they're very expensive.

Also if you have Venice: Build a Bailiwick on any island that you're spending more than 400 gold in upkeep for all of your production buildings. The 10% cut to upkeep costs can add up quickly.

Prepare your will for when you die playing the game, I've ended up with 8 hour+ sessions without realizing it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

Also some tips on how to not get owned in all Company of Heroes games would be good. I totally suck at the game.

I need some similar tips, I guess.

I thought Company Of Heroes might be similar in difficulty to Dawn of War 1, because it's the same developer and they share some game play mechanics, but it's pretty brutal.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I just started Crisis Core, any advice? What am I supposed to do with that slot machine thingie?

Skilleddk posted:

Assassin's Creed 2

There's a mission in the game where you'll have to climb a tower, but once you get to a balcony, it looks like you can't go any further. What you have to do is stand on the railing below the lantern and press high profile + jump.

The best way to kill the heavy-armoured guards is to equip your fists and disarm them (it works like a counterattack).

Upgrade your villa as much as you can as soon as possible.

The places where you can do leaps of faith are marked with bird poo poo.

When you're playing capture the flag, jump off the rooftop right at the beggining of the third round. You'll get hurt, but you'll make it to the flag before the other guy.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What should I know before playing Lost Odyssey? Are there any missable items, etc?

EDIT: One more request too - Darksiders.

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 24, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thwack! posted:

I plan to make my main character strength-based in Digital Devil Saga, but I'm torn between choosing the physical Mantra path and the hunt path. Any tips?

Just to make sure, you are aware that this is effectively hard-mode, since magic defense is tied to the magic stat.

Everyone needs to learn the Hunt-tree up until Holy Beast, as it gives you the skill Iron Stomach which should be on your characters at all times.

Make sure every character studies magic mantras of their weakness so that you can get weakness resistance/nullifications on them.

In DDS1, there is no reason to take Heat or Cielo; Heat because he's physical and therefore takes a ton of damage from magic and Cielo because his weakness is bullshit.

In DDS2, take Gale and Cielo always and do not bother with the other characters. Cielo's weakness is tweaked in 2 and there is another reason you'll figure out.

Vinlaen posted:

What should I know before playing Lost Odyssey? Are there any missable items, etc?

The only missables are two spells. These are bought when you first enter Ghotzen in the magic shop. Do not progress the plot until you do. You'll find an auction house where you can buy everything else you missed, so don't worry about other loot.

Much, much more importantly when you travel to Ghotzen buy as many high-level earth-element damage dealing items as possible. There is a complete bullshit fight coming up where your party will be Jansen, Ming, and the Two Children against an rear end in a top hat who casts an undispellable magic reflect on himself. Items go right through. See where this is going? You'll fairly soon after fight a much tougher version, but you'll thankfully have access to a leveling spot and a town.

Other than that, know that immortals are just flat out better than humans due to being able to learn and carry whatever skills you want them to.

The toughest bosses in the game are the first two, if you don't have their weaknesses/can't resist their ailments fully investigate the area as the spell/items you need are there. Dungeons providing you with the items and spells you need will be a recurring theme.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 24, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

Assassin's Creed 2

If you want to win a fight quickly, one thing you can do is pop a smoke bomb and just murder everyone with the hidden blade. You can usually get an easy 3-4 kills before they stop coughing.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Red Dead Redemption:

I am still fairly early in the game. John Marston's goal is to get to the guy in Fort Mercer. However, I've been doing some missions for both the marshal and the West Dickson guy. Both of them are telling me they'll help me eventually. My question is, do I have to choose one of them? If I do the missions for one of them, does that exclude the other guy from helping?

Also, where the gently caress are all these wolves and cougars coming from? I used to come across one cougar once in a great while. Now, in certain regions, there's a never ending parade of them. Does the game adjust how much wildlife you come across as you progress or was I just lucky all along?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Red Dead Redemption:

I am still fairly early in the game. John Marston's goal is to get to the guy in Fort Mercer. However, I've been doing some missions for both the marshal and the West Dickson guy. Both of them are telling me they'll help me eventually. My question is, do I have to choose one of them? If I do the missions for one of them, does that exclude the other guy from helping?
No.

quote:

Also, where the gently caress are all these wolves and cougars coming from? I used to come across one cougar once in a great while. Now, in certain regions, there's a never ending parade of them. Does the game adjust how much wildlife you come across as you progress or was I just lucky all along?

No, just bad luck.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

No.

No, just bad luck.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

Deckwine
Sep 25, 2010
I recently purchased Arcanum from GoG.com and I'm not really familiar with games of this genre. Any tips for a newbie would be much appreciated.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Deckwine posted:

I recently purchased Arcanum from GoG.com and I'm not really familiar with games of this genre. Any tips for a newbie would be much appreciated.

Before you do anything else you should make sure you have the unofficial arcanum patch installed. Without it the game is notoriously buggy.

You should probably take Virgil into your party if you haven't already (he'll be the only thing at the crash site that DOESN'T attack you). And before you leave the crash site, you should loot the corpses and make sure you pick up the letter, the camera, the matchbook & passport, and the amulet.

Then, talk to Virgil and he'll advise you on where to go next (Shrouded Hills).

General tips:
- If you like to micromanage, play as a tech. If you don't like rummaging through trashbins and obsessively collecting junk, play as a mage.
- Experience gets doled out on a per-hit and per-kill basis. So if you have a large party than tends to mow through enemies before you can get into the fight, you'll gain levels much more slowly than if you had a party of one or two and you dealt the majority of the damage.
- If you plan on using a ranged attack (throwing, bow or firearms) then try not to put any points into melee, as character points are scarce.
- Save your fate points for things like picking pockets (but never locks).
- Familiarize yourself with the way skills work. Character points govern your rank in a skill (i.e., the red bar), and your rank affects the chance that your skill will succeed or the effectiveness of the skill. Your level in a skill is nothing, Apprentice, Expert or Master. Levels grant unique bonuses like not jamming locks or never critically failing on an attack, making them worth nabbing as soon as possible. Almost everyone in Arcanum can train you in something, but finding Expert and Master trainers can be challenging.
- Anyone can prowl well enough to avoid being detected by sleeping characters. So if you only plan on robbing people at night, you never need to invest in prowling.
- I don't think Gamble, Haggle, Heal, Backstab, Prowling, Spot/Disarm Traps are worth investing points in.
- The most important skills in the game vary depending on your style, but Repair, Persuasion, Pick Locks and then a combat skill of your choice are invaluable in most situations.

Companions:
- If you want Loghaire, you need high intelligence/persuasion. And if you go this route, you'll also want to keep Magnus in your party, too. The two have a questline that works better if both are present.
- If you want Gar, you need high int/persuasion but you can't ever give him his freedom, or he'll disappear forever.
- If you want Thorold, you need to be at least level 22, and he'll leave if you don't help him get home immediately, so don't leave anything in his inventory that you don't want to lose. The same applies to Swyft.
- If you want Worthless Mutt, you need to save him from being kicked to death the first time you arrive in Ashbury. He'll be lying along the SE outer wall of the inn, and if you don't hurry he can die permanently. Mutt is the best melee fighter you can get on Arcanum, and can make combat very boring. Mutt will also prevent you from riding on trains.

Quest stuff:
- Don't sell the camera to Ristezze in Shrouded Hills. Find another way to complete his quest and hang on to the camera.
- If you plan on stealing stuff, it's advisable to let Lucan (the Shrouded Hills bridge) live, and persuade him to leave instead of killing him.
- When you get to Tarant, find the small man outside the warehouse in the docks, and kill the rats for him. You can now safely store your belongs in the containers in his warehouse. This is essential for a tech character.
- You should complete the Garringsburg Heist quest in Tarant before the Dolores Beston/Madame Toussaud quest to get a better reward from the psychic.
- Speak to Lianna in Dernholm about her father before you go to the Isle of Despair.
- When you're in the Bedokaan village, be sure to grab the heartstone laying on the ground.
- You'll need two pieces of mithril ore to complete quests in the game, but you can use or sell the rest.
- Speak to everyone in the Roseborough Inn. One of them will send you on a quest that will help you find a bridge on the western side of the continent to make travel easier.
- When you get to T'sen Ang, equip the Molochean Hand amulet before approaching the entrance.
- You'll have the option to acquire your own ship at one point, and it's recommended you take the opportunity.
- When you find the tomb, read the lid before leaving the crypt and returning to the Panarii temple.

Also, I wrote about it a lot in this thread if you just search for my posts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm kind of cheating since I just completed Chapter 3, but any tips for Dead Space?

I've noticed already that carrying more than one Air can or Stasis recharge seems to be pointless.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cbouncerrun posted:

I'm kind of cheating since I just completed Chapter 3, but any tips for Dead Space?

I've noticed already that carrying more than one Air can or Stasis recharge seems to be pointless.

You can get through the entire game using nothing but the plasma cutter (there's even an achievement for it) so be sure to upgrade it, it stays useful throughout the entire game. I like the pulse rifle too, but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.

The Force Gun is useful for those groups of little skittery bugs that jump on you and make you mash the A button to shake them off. Those little bastards are probably my least favorite enemy in the game so you might find it worthwhile to carry one of those guns around, though it's probably not worth it just for them since they're not terribly common.

Speaking of the little skittery bastards, the fat aliens will release a swarm of them if you shoot them in the belly. The safest way to kill them is to slow them down with the stasis thing and use the plasma cutter or some other precise gun to blow off their limbs.

New suits are always nice (for the inventory if nothing else) so try to have enough money for them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Stasis items aren't that useful on low difficulties when enemies are slower. Now the cracker monsters and IT, will be a pain without them.

Try to leave items on places where you frequently pass or use some as bread crumbs.

Don't use the machine gun on wall hangers and its vine drones.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
There's are cheats that restore your stasis energy and oxygen without penalizing you in any way. Go nuts. And, Put the first letter of every chapter in order. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Try to leave items on places where you frequently pass or use some as bread crumbs.

Why? The game has a 3D map and the line that tells you where to go.